/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4ce91YC3Oww
google.com/search?q=RMA
pcpartpicker.com/list/LRpHQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/bGmxNN
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket
pcpartpicker.com/list/dhPKM8
pcpartpicker.com/b/YD4qqs
pcpartpicker.com/list/NFdxNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/zHhKM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kxj6Ps
pcpartpicker.com/list/7kfhTH
pcpartpicker.com/product/C4s8TW/asus-motherboard-sabertoothz170s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtu.be/4ce91YC3Oww
This video was linked from an msi manual. Shouldn't you remove the black plate before sealing the cpu?
Also to assemble the Intel stock fan can you leave the mob on a flat surface or do you need to raise it a bit so the "screws" go over the holes?

So I finally managed to get this thing to turn on, but the monitor doesn't even register a signal.

Also, the hdd makes six short buzzing sounds every time I turn it on for some reason.

holy fuck, you call that a heatsink?
No fucking wonder they stopped giving them away with everything except the toy editions for cpus

You didn't use enough thermal paste.

How do you fuck up wiring this bad

You should really re-do your wiring. Anyway, your HDD is defective, RMA it.

I had one of those cooling my 3770K for years on stock speeds without issues, it's just not good for overclocking and does what it's supposed to.

Now if someone can answer atleast the black plate thing it would be great, because I'm probably assembling it tomorow

want to upgrade but dont know what. budget 100, canadianfag here. i do a lot of video editing

>$100 budget
save up more money

ok, well whats the next thing i should upgrade then ill save for it.

i7 3770 in a month or two, or Ryzen but that means CPU+mobo+RAM

>Building
You're merely ASSEMBLING Chinese components.

doesnt the 3rd gen use different socket than 2nd gen?

cpu+mobo+ram or gpu. check pic

fuck off you shitposting autist

your 760 would be about half the performance of a gtx1060 or rx480 and your CPU is at least 25% slower than latest generation i5

for so check some benchmarks for the things you want to run and see if you need a better GPU or CPU first.

What does rma stand for?

>$100 budget
You should upgrade your job

google.com/search?q=RMA

>doesnt the 3rd gen use different socket than 2nd gen?
No, 1155

what is the difference between ddr4 and ddr3?

Is it true that rx500 series will be a rebrand ? Shall i get this baby now instead of waiting for 580 ?

hm. i dont think updating his CPU from 2nd gen to 3rd gen would benefit him more than a few %

there's rumors about that. i dont think it would be a good idea to buy that now. it will probably drop in price once 500 series launches or you could get something better for the same price.

+1

pcpartpicker.com/list/LRpHQV

this ram gonna be compatible tho?

nice video game consoles you're assembling in this thread :^)

yes but you should look at the cooler compatability and that gtx 980

A question. Since the 1080 ti is coming out next week, my question is.
Is it worth it to buy it instead of the 1080?
Even in 4 years, will there be a game in which the regular 1080 won't play in ultra? Or is the 1080 TI overkill?

Also. I'm planning to buy a CPU LGA1151 socket.
Is the 6700k too much? I just want to play.

they say it's 35% faster, only you can decide if that's worth the cost

pcpartpicker.com/list/bGmxNN
This is a great CPU cooler with AM4 compatibility
>980ti
Why would you ? Just get 1080 which will drop to $500 next week, or 1080ti which will be $700.

Well. Would you say the 980 is outdated? Or do you see the time when it will be outdated?

it became outdated when 1070 was released you tard.

Jezz... Looking at the game industry, would you consider the 980 as outdated to run everything in ultra?

Simple question, guys: Is my motherboard compatible with the new Ryzen 7?
current motherboard is an M5A78L-M LX3 (AM3R2) and I'm rocking an old FX-6300

no but if you're buying a new card then there's no need to buy it over 1070, unless it's a cheap used one

depends on your resolution, but it would be fucking retarded to pay more than $300 for old tech when you can get a brand new card with more features and similar performance for $350

Nope, ram won't work with ryzen

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket

cooler is already compatible
i own all the parts minus cpu/mobo/ram/ssd

I'm building my PC tomorow,
i'm not planning on fitting a optic drive.

Can i expect Windows to be a good guy again and install the drivers for me or does it have trouble with recent boards (the ones that fit a i7 7700)?
All i want is to install the gpu drivers and then feed my ocd of changing every setting on the control panel ever.

These are personal computers not consoles silly

Just bought these. Did I do good anons?
pcpartpicker.com/list/dhPKM8
:^)

make sure to have ethernet drivers somewhere. I don't think Win10 has Killer Ethernet drivers, at least in my case.

>Wintendo game consoles thinly veiled as personal computers
:^)

then mark them as Purchased instead of putting a retarded price tag on them

you only need network drivers so save them as backup if windows cant detect the NIC, then you go online and download the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard.
windows can get GPU drivers for you if you're a lazy cunt. but you might want to download them manually anyway if you want the extra features.

>i change the definition of words to shitpost on anonymous korean pottery boards
Youre a rad dude

>:^)
fuck off shitposting autists

pcpartpicker.com/b/YD4qqs
I'm currently saving up/waiting for the ti's to come out.

lazy

i guess if the ethernet connects them im good, the only thing i update from the windows automated installer are the gpu drivers to the latest, i have no interest in the extra features since i never use them, im also planning on completely ignoring msi afterburner, i'm a defaults man.

So the only way to properly OC a 7700k is to delid it?

Fuck me. They don't sell delidding tools here in Spain.

give me a good gaming pc build for $850. im new to this

Logicalincrements.com
Google.com
Do your research and come back, we are not here to spoon-feed you.

>buying last generation for same price as latest generation
why

no?

pcpartpicker.com/list/NFdxNN

3 minutes stress test, stock, running under a h100i with fans @ quiet (sp120s @ 900rpm)

i know, >900 rpm

but it's still under a CLC

this is unbelievable

what test? you realize most of them put unreal stress on the chip that isnt even near real life, right?

pcpartpicker.com/list/zHhKM8

pcpartpicker.com/list/Kxj6Ps

AIDA64 Extreme CPU+FPU.

I know this, but that's still the most hardcore stability/performance/temperature stress test.

I have a x62 on the way, hoping it lowers the temperatures even more.

Bought a 6600k and 170A mobo in a last minute austerity push and now wondering if I shouldn't have gone 7600k/270A. CPU and mobo en route.

Thoughts?

>Ryzen
No.

you fucked up, 7th gen and z270 is pretty much the same price

Reminder that R7 is only worth it if you are a content creator (aka none of us). R5 and R3 are the real Ryzen chips worth waiting for.

How often should I "clean" my PC (just blowing compressed air into the fans) and how often should I CLEAN my PC (actually removing dust from the fan blades manually with Q-tips, etc)?

I actually CLEANED my PC for the first time since I built it around 3 months ago and I was wondering how often I should do both of these things.

Newegg had a deal

depends how much dust you have

how much did you save?

Not enough to prevent asking this question

enjoy buyers remorse then

Things can be returned, bud

then do it

This is my speccy (sorry for whole guts picture). Should I upgrade to the ryzen line or go for a cheaper i7 combo on newegg? I primarily play games, sometimes streaming to friends. I sometimes record music but that's about all I do in terms of creation. I don't feel like waiting for the new R5 line coming out in a fuckin month (just got a job, waited on upgrading for YEARS)

it takes less than 20 seconds to crop an image...

if that's all you do and dont want to wait, get an kaby lake i5

phoneposting and realized my phone didnt have a cropped image. Kaby lake i5 then? Awesome, thank you user.

Im planning to get dual 4k for CAD, how does it handle revit and 3ds max viewport?

OK, so now that Ryzen came out, what should I get? Budget is 900€ in Spain. I already made some lists that resumes on an i5 7500/rx480 8GB and then the RAM came up on price, so an average 24000 MHz, I guess.

Is the 1700, 1600, x or non X comparable/better than an i5 7500 for the same price?
I'll make a new list now with updated prices to check my final budget.

If you are looking at the i5 7500, then wait for Ryzen 5 and get a comparable Ryzen chip. The R7 is just for enthusiast level builds.

I'm using a decade old Asus monitor, to the point that I don't even know the model number other than it was around $150 at the time of purchase and is 1080p.

I'm looking at getting either a 1070 or 1080 in the next 6 months, what should I pick up to pair it with? I've never even seen a 1440p monitor, is it worthwhile to pick up over 1080p? Is it jarring to do non game related things like browsing the internet with the more pixel dense monitor?

I'm basically a pleb. Please advise.

pcpartpicker.com/list/7kfhTH

Put this together for a buddy of mine. What do you guys think? Any glaring flaws?

Note: No actual GPU since he is going to wait and purchase a 1080ti once they are available.

how does what handle that?

this

use speccy to get model number.
if you play fast paced games you want 144hz, but yes with one of those GPUs 1440p is nice either way for all kinds of things.

I thought these already came out.
Also, here, for some reason, the i5-7600K is 15€ more expensive than the i5 7500. Is it worth it? I mean, it would be 15€ difference+a z270 board (20~40€ more) and a non-stok fan, so a whole 40€ more = let's say 100€ more.

About the R5 series, when will they come out? I really need a PC now, my laptop is dying kinda fast.

>GTX1050
garbage, do not buy this over a 470 in any circumstance even if you hate AMD with every fiber in your body

If you want real future proff and won't change that 1070/180 in a long time, then a 1440p 60Hz, but if you don't care and will maybe change the GPU in two years to keep the 144Hz, then one of these. Keep in mind that a TN monitor 60Hz will be like 200$, but a 144Hz IPS will be 600$. Talking about 27 inch.

I mean could it be harder to see a fine line that is almost a pixel wide.

>overpriced mobo, meh cooler, dual SSD and triple drives from the start, meme case, overkill PSU, two kinds of extra fans
full retard/10

no, R7 8core 16 thread came out

>when will R5 come out
Q2

see pcpartpicker.com/list/NFdxNN

not in the way you think, no

so now that we finally know the Zen architecture's actual power consumption, I'm starting to doubt we'll see any mITX AM4 boards in 2017, even after Raven Ridge comes out.

My intention is to build a mITX GPU-less PC, and I've been waiting for Raven Ridge for quite a while now due to AMD's superior integrated graphics. Taking this into account, should I keep waiting and hope for AM4 ITX and then get Raven Ridge or should I go Intel? I'd need Iris Pro level of graphics, which sets me back around 440€ (i5-5675C) because I don't think Kaby Lake iGPU can handle what I play in 1080p even in low settings (FIFA, Street Fighter, etc). But for that value I might as well sacrifice space and noise and get a 1050Ti + 7700K or something...ideas?

>I thought these already came out.
No, the R7s came out. The R5s come out in Q2 (anytime between now and June). If you are pressed on your budget, I would say just go for the non-K CPU. And if you are pressed for time, just get a 7500. Though just know that it will be outdated soon as Intel will be coming out with a new mobo chipset soon.

someone speculated ITX boards in autumn but i'd be surprised if they wait that long

>pcpartpicker.com/list/NFdxNN
>change to Spain
>748,21€ without the GPU.
>1000€
>no HDD

Well, I think I'll use the external HDD I already have and try to hardly save 100 eurocoins. I'll look around for these pieces on several stores.

>overpriced mobo
Don't project, poorfriend.

>meh cooler
You have me on this one. Granted, he won't be doing any OCing, so it doesn't matter all that much.

>dual SSD and triple drives
Do you not understand what a RAID array is, or what? Also, I fully expect you to make some meme about "multiple points of failure" or "no real speed increase" or something else like that. Feel free to respond with such.

>meme case
"I don't personally like it, therefore it is objectively bad, despite almost universal praise!"

>overkill PSU
Its called headroom. And considering the price difference is like sub $20, who gives a shit? Once again, stop projecting your poorness onto others.

>two kinds of extra fans
I don't even really have a comeback for this. I mean, I don't know what you're even criticizing. Two different sizes? Two different colors? I don't know, user. I think at this point you just felt bad because you needed one more thing to "rip on", so you shoehorned the fans in. I think it would have been better to make some >jewvidia meme
or something of the like.

Anyway, cool. I've been on this board long enough (almost 3 weeks! xD) to know that memeing in lieu of the presence of functional criticism is actually a begrudgingly given endorsement. Thanks for your post! I'll go ahead and give him the greenlight.

Rx 480
i5 6500
16gb ram

what more info you want?

so many implications and assumptions ill just reply to one of your retarded "points"

>dont project, poorfriend
found the applefag

now fuck off back to whatever place you came from, faggot

>dislike apple products
>recognize their merits to many people
>have a well paying job, and enjoying a sweet sweet DINK lifestyle
>am actively building a new pc
>pc
>personal computer
>not apple product

>"found the applefag"

Sheesh! Its sad that you couldn't even respond to the points about the build itself. When you make a retarded comment like "2muchmonay", and I respond with "not2much4me", you resort to making projections about my alleged "love of applel products"?

I don't know, user. I think you are just feeling a little insecure about one thing or another, but there is no reason to bring that nonsense here. This is a cordial general thread, and maybe you should go post in another one? I hear >>>/ptg/ and >>>/csg/ are open to people ripping on each other's opinions and what not.

Maybe its time for a life change?

So I built my desktop in the summer of 2012. Its current specs are:
CPU: i5 4570k
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
GPU: Nvidia 670
PSU: Some 1000W, modular, gold
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD/SSD: 2 Seagate 1TB, 7200RPM and a new Sandisk Ultra II.

Might be a dumb question but I want to upgrade my GPU and CPU. Has the technology changed enough in the last 5 years to warrant me getting a new MOBO/PSU as well?
Basically should I do a new build or just keep Frankenstein-ing my current one?

Your CPU is already faster than a new $500 Ryzen CPU.

Is IPS worth the premium? Is the response time actually noticeable? Are there recommended monitors in each price bracket somewhere?

Is it significantly prettier, as far as games go? I'm really neurotic about frames dropping below 60 ever, and as stupid as it is, find the fact that a 1080 would never drop below 60 on anything modern appealing, even if it's clearly overkill.

I'm willing to step up to 1440p, but wouldn't want to unless it was a noticeable improvement.

Response time is less noticable than you might think, still I prefer sub 3ms. As for IPS, yes it makes a huge difference.

I keep getting conflicting messages about what "bottlenecking" will actually do, and how much it's worth worrying about. I've got 4670K and am looking to upgrade my GPU from a 290 to a 1080, and everyone gives different answers.

>any modern i5 is the max you'll ever need
>the 4670K will cut about 20% of the performance off that card
>you need a 7700K if you really want to drive the card completely
>various conflicting videos showing 10-15 FPS difference in some spots and nothing in another
>etc

I'm honestly not sure what to do. Upgrading the 4670K would require a lot more money, as I'd need to upgrade the motherboard and I think the RAM as well.

Is there a straightforward answer to this?

Sorry, I meant 3570k

Can I run 3200 ram on this mobo? Ive heard overclocking can run faster ram speeds than listed on pc part picker
pcpartpicker.com/product/C4s8TW/asus-motherboard-sabertoothz170s

wanting a little upgrade here

Mostly 500PSU 80plus and I guess a CPU to OC with my motherboard. I do not want a need mobo skylake etc due to not wanting to spend money and needing

What would be the best CPU route?