/sqt/ - small qeueries thread

This is a thread for questions that will have small answers, so you don't have to kill another discussion thread to ask your question.

old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/johanneszab/TumblThree/releases
youtube.com/watch?v=XN3ZrD-x-QQ
netsolutionworks.com/PowerConnect/Wireless/IAPs/PowerConnect-W-Series-IAP114-115.asp
github.com/Floens/Clover/blob/master/Clover/app/src/main/java/org/floens/chan/chan/ChanUrls.java#L106
github.com/Floens/Clover/blob/dev/Clover/app/src/main/java/org/floens/chan/core/settings/ChanSettings.java#L216
fieggen.com/shoelace/
sourceforge.net/projects/sox/
i.4cdn.org/g/1488480701568.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=XPIgR89jv3Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Linux Mint 17.3 here

i'm trying to run this batch downloader in wine but it won't appear on screen

github.com/johanneszab/TumblThree/releases

is there something i'm doing wrong

reminder to read the sticky thread and google first, and dont bump your question

Posted in last thread it insta died.

Is there a way to bulk make MP3's louder?

I'm trying to set up the custom radio thing in GTA5 (inb4 fuck off back to Sup Forums) and while it works, all the MP3's (using these because it's all it will accept) are super quiet.

Need to make like 250 songs louder.

>Linux Mint 17.3 here
>is there something i'm doing wrong
Isn't it obvious?

At what point should I buy a new external hard drive? I have a Toshiba 1.5TB and I've had it for about 3 or 4 years. Am I nearing failure?

check drive health with some program

what's wrong then?

Guy from other thread wondering how other guy got his h110 to cycle rgb

what programs other than msi afterburner can I use to monitor GPU temperatures ingame?

How do I default a left mouse click on "speakers" in W10 to open to the volume mixer?

Are there any extensions or scripts that let me see URLs for embeded videos or some other way of finding a direct link to the video itself?
Openload in particular.

any more insight to this matter is welcome
also the internet makes system engineers look like some deity who shits blood every and each day because of how much work they do

openhwmonitor

>how other guy got his h110 to cycle rgb
H110 is the chipset and it has nothing to do with RGB, that's a function of the specific motherboard from the manufacturer, so read your manual.

no, everyone says you need X years of experience. just apply anyway and make sure you include all your knowledge in the subject with your application

In an APU does the Taskmanager CPU graph include the GPU percentage too?

no

He's ragging on mint

Oh I thought he meant a corsair h110

oh, well, the cooler itself (pump and radiator) doesnt have RGB functions, it's probably just the fans themselves and you will need a controller to make them switch colors

The pump has a light you can change to whatever color but no option to cycle

thanks, that's what I thought
also to add up to is there a way to practice things like 'virtualization' and 'disaster recovery' from home or similar? It's not something I am likely to learn in college and I can't think of any other way to do ot in free time

What are your experiences of major/minor electric shocks and what did you felt afterwards?
I think I have a fetish for electricity and think of having an EE job as a way to blow off some fuse.

Now that Ryzen is out, is the 7700k going to get any cheaper?

yes people already said retailers lowered prices

How long until we see non-reference 1080tis?

march 10 when Asus releases theirs

I have a Samsung SSD. Can something go wrong if I install another SSD from another brand, like conflicting drivers or some shit?

Also is SanDisk a good brand for SSD

no.
yes.

Is that confirmed? Someone on Sup Forums told me that for the first couple of months only the Nvidia brand cards are sold.

How do you guys choose a motherboard to buy?

I want to get a new z270 board and almost all that I see have the features I want. Do I just go buy the cheapest one? Maybe the one I find prettiest?

Find the one that overclocks best.

Buy the one from the brand famous for being reliable

all of these, for the cheapest, except assrock.

Oh mighty penta-get. Please tell this brand of which you speak.

How do I find this out exactly? What specs do I look at?

I keep getting conflicting messages about what "bottlenecking" will actually do, and how much it's worth worrying about. I've got 4670K and am looking to upgrade my GPU from a 290 to a 1080, and everyone gives different answers.

>any modern i5 is the max you'll ever need
>the 4670K will cut about 20% of the performance off that card
>you need a 7700K if you really want to drive the card completely
>various conflicting videos showing 10-15 FPS difference in some spots and nothing in another
>etc

I'm honestly not sure what to do. Upgrading the 4670K would require a lot more money, as I'd need to upgrade the motherboard and I think the RAM as well.

Is there a straightforward answer to this?

Normally the store site review boxes are enough for me to decide, just go on all the sites and check which one has bad reviews then tick that off the list unless it's some assmad "muh mobo was DOA" review.

What should I know coming out of first year in CS? I feel my course is really lagging behind other universities

What should I be doing in my spare time regarding CS?

>implying selling site user reviews mean anything

Is it true updating the firmware on my samsung SSD can/will wipe out the data in it?

What's wrong with using an older firmware if it works and has never given me any issues? I don't want to update if it means losing everything and I really don't feel like backing my shit up, reinstalling windows, etc

Is there any distro, that supports AMD GPUs OpenCL?
I tried Manjaro and Ubuntu 14.04 and they both only worked with the free drivers

Also are these good numbers for a sata3 SSD?

i think that only happened a couple years ago

standard.

I'm trying to shrink one of my volumes in win7 using the disk management tool, so I can allocate that space to my boot partition, and it has been stuck loading for ages.

I'm scared. Is it supposed to take that long? I just want to allocate 9GB. Scared of closing the process in case it fucks up my HDD.

I'm using Debian and whenever I $man gcc it doesn't find a man page. When I look into my /usr/bin I see that gcc is only a link to a binary called gcc-4.9. Is that the problem? How do I fix it? Btw $man gcc-4.9 won't find a man page either.
I already ran mandb.
What do Sup Forums?

tell him to suck on 50 feminine dicks then

>Buy new APC BE850M2 UPS from Amazon.
>Connect battery.
>Only beeps continuously, doesn't flash light.

what the fuck is wrong with it? Battery tested @ 13+ volts.

Here's a video showing smaller unit doing exact same thing! youtube.com/watch?v=XN3ZrD-x-QQ

trying to move a wordpress database from a vps to a cPanel host, I get this error please help me familia

a particular application will only run as fast as the slowest component will allow
the slowest component at any instance is called "the bottleneck"

what componets are potential bottlenecks and how much it's worth worrying about depends on what components you have and what applications you use

just to give you a basic example, lets say you pair a high end cpu with a low end gpu and try to run a graphically-intense video game on them
the graphics card will almost certainly be a major bottleneck, major in that the cpu will be very underutilized, "bottlenecked" by the gpu

Thanks user
Do you know what I'm looking at in terms of bottlenecking the setup I mentioned above? I can't really find a straight answer, almost every forum says something different.

does historgp (user) have appropriate permission to create wordpress (db)?

look for benchmarks
there's really no easy "yes or no" answer, since there are too many variables

I need to get windows office on the PC I just built but don't want to shell out the $169 for office. Is open office pretty much the only choice I have outside of torrenting windows office?

You can get cheap keys in that subreddit for microsoft keys, and there are probably other places as well

liberoffice is better.

or r/microsoftsoftwareswap

I'm downloading OpenOffice now but will keep all options in mind. I'm only needing Word to keep my resume up to date and Excel for personal finances. Nothing too fancy on this end so I bet any software can do it.

For light office work open or libreoffice are more than enough

Should be "Standard Query Thread"

What would it take for a new company to enter the CPU or GPU market and survive long enough to become part of it, like Microsoft did when it entered the vidya industry with the Xbox?

I mean other than absurd amounts of money

I tried to extract a .tar.xz file (AMD driver for ubuntu) but wont work. Already installed xz-tools, it might be corrupted?

Is there a linux backup software that lets me browse the backup to extract single files from it?

Piggybacking off of this one.
What's the good backup solution for my debian server?

Why AMD is releasing their ryzen 7 only ?
What about the others ?
Did they talked about a date for them ?

Is an HP DC7600 good enough to turn into a router/media center (yes, both at the same time)?
What other old PC do you recommend for less than $20?

Q2

Can I connect directly to this with an Ethernet wire for internet?

Im living in a dorm and this thing is attached to the ceiling with 3 antennas sticking out of it, there are also 3 Ethernet ports on the top, kinda difficult to reach, but one wire is connected, I assume this is the dorm internet but I don't know whether the other 2 are inputs or outputs

Pls respond

netsolutionworks.com/PowerConnect/Wireless/IAPs/PowerConnect-W-Series-IAP114-115.asp

They're releasing the top end stuff now because they need to show their big guns now so people see they mean business

The pleb shit will come later

that's weird. Ryzen 7 isn't great in gaming, which was something to expect, but now retar... I mean gamers might see all the new AMD CPU as bad for gaming.

Does Clover use the HTTPS version of 4chin?

I still dont know why utorrent is bad, also is 2.2.1 safe?

From what I've read 2.2.2.1 is the last good version

I've been using Transmission QT for a long time now and it's great.

Will a core 2 quad q8400 paired with an HD 3450 have any trouble with 1080p/5.1dts playback?

Utorrent went botnetastic. And don't use outdated software, especially something with a large internet attack surface. You're just asking to get boned. Just switch to another damn program already.

There will likely be minimal bottlenecking as long as your channels are the same (ie CPU supports PCIE3.0). The easiest way to check bottlenecking (performance wise) is to run a monitor while gaming. For instance, I've got a 2700k and a 980ti. I see my GPU maxing out it's usage before my CPU creeps up much past 40% usage.

seems like it depends what you put into your settings.

github.com/Floens/Clover/blob/master/Clover/app/src/main/java/org/floens/chan/chan/ChanUrls.java#L106
and it seems to default to true
github.com/Floens/Clover/blob/dev/Clover/app/src/main/java/org/floens/chan/core/settings/ChanSettings.java#L216

so yes, unless you changed it.

>in college
>no experience
>too poor for certs
>college doesn't help fund certs
>mfw trying to get into an entry level it job

I'm applying for help desk, sys admin, hardware, anything. So far my strategy has been to apply to as many jobs as possible, with the intention of getting maybe 1 interview per 50 resumes. Even that isn't happening, so tell me Sup Forums, how much effort did you put into getting your first career job? Am I doing it wrong, or do I just need luck?

Emacs question:

Why am I getting these weird errors? What about what I'm trying to do is leading to emacs freaking out when I save the .emacs file?

No your CPU won't bottleneck you at all. CPUs bottle necking GPUs for games is a retarded meme, you'll be spending like €300 for an extra 5 fps...

>with the intention of getting maybe 1 interview per 50 resumes
you are not lying enough

Battlefront or Battlefield 1?

Battlefield 4

I'm going to assume you mean on my resumes. But I get spooked if I put anything faulty on my resumes, like it will guarantee I don't get the job if they find out. And if you're talking about my post, then nice meme.

>But I get spooked if I put anything faulty on my resumes, like it will guarantee I don't get the job if they find out.
if you are not getting interview out of 50 resumes send then you are not getting the job either

you now have 6 months experience in guys out of garrage PC repair shop where did house calls
Afterwards you intern at, find name of recently closed company in X city, or whatever

Opened up my laptop and cleaned parts individually. Put it back together perfectly and now I can't make it to the windows start up without it restarting itself.

Oh

how do you tie shoelaces like on the right pic?

fieggen.com/shoelace/

My TV's picture went white last night, then completely black as if the backlight was off. Still not working and have no sound. Is it dead /sqt/?

Use Sox cmd line utility sourceforge.net/projects/sox/

- Increase a file's volume to 150%
sox -v 1.5 in.mp3 out.mp3

- A batch script to batch convert
for i in *.WAV
do
C:\Downloads\sox.exe -t mp3 $i new_files/$(basename $i)
done

>Cleaned
Did you wait for everything to dry first?

Turn your foot

youtube-dl may help

It's really disgusting to see a human being pay this much attention to meaningless details.

someone pls

no
no, It's an US brand, They can have backdoors made by three letter agencies, search for "NSA shipment intercept backdoor"

Chinese spyware WPS is OK too.

btrfs send/receive with compression to an external hdd

rsync

check'd

Default mpv enable replay video button?

OP image is interesting. Pretty much all British people tie their laces the way ticked in the image. I find it quick and natural. I think the loops protruding is more prone to snagging, especially for cyclists.
The way marked with a cross is what I remember seeing from American television media and it reminds me of little children on TV and commercials.i.4cdn.org/g/1488480701568.webm

youtube.com/watch?v=XPIgR89jv3Q

pls

Can I copy Excel from my friends pc to my own?

nvm it's L