Ryzen poor gaming performance at 1080 explained

Ryzen poor gaming performance at 1080 explained.

'Here’s why, AMD says

“As we presented at Ryzen Tech Day, we are supporting 300+ developer kits with game development studios to optimize current and future game releases for the all-new Ryzen CPU. We are on track for 1,000+ developer systems in 2017. For example, Bethesda at GDC yesterday announced its strategic relationship with AMD to optimize for Ryzen CPUs, primarily through Vulkan low-level API optimizations, for a new generation of games, DLC and VR experiences,” Taylor said. “Oxide Games also provided a public statement today on the significant performance uplift observed when optimizing for the 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 7 CPU design—optimizations not yet reflected in Ashes of the Singularity benchmarking. Creative Assembly, developers of the Total War series, made a similar statement today related to upcoming Ryzen optimizations.

“CPU benchmarking deficits to the competition in certain games at 1080p resolution can be attributed to the development and optimization of the game uniquely to Intel platforms—until now. Even without optimizations in place, Ryzen delivers high, smooth frame rates on all ‘CPU-bound’ games, as well as overall smooth frame rates and great experiences in GPU-bound gaming and VR. With developers taking advantage of Ryzen architecture and the extra cores and threads, we expect benchmarks to only get better, and enable Ryzen to excel at next-generation gaming experiences as well. Game performance will be optimized for Ryzen and continue to improve from at-launch frame rate scores.”

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/3176191/computers/ryzen-review-amd-is-back.html?page=3
pclab.pl/art72996-13.html
pclab.pl/art72996-27.html
anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/17
pcgamer.com/the-amd-ryzen-7-review/
hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review/3
techspot.com/review/1345-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x/page4.html
guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_processor_review,18.html
pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-responds-1080p-gaming-tests-Ryzen
hardware.fr/articles/956-22/retour-sous-systeme-memoire.html
youtu.be/sciuiEcrnzg
youtu.be/V5RP1CPpFVE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

To boil it down: The world of game developers basically develop for two platforms: Intel’s small socket or Intel’s large socket. AMD, as much as it pains the fanboys, has been invisible outside of the budget realm and the results are showing up in the tests. Is that what’s really going on? I can’t say for sure, and I doubt anyone can at the moment but it's at least plausible.'

pcworld.com/article/3176191/computers/ryzen-review-amd-is-back.html?page=3

I wanted to play arma 3 with one of this but i doubt bohemia interactive is going to optimize for ryzen anytime soon if at all.

And as usual, AMDfags will spin it so that their favorite cult is blameless.

bohemia doesn't even optimize it for mainstream intel

arma 3 ryzen users will suffer eternally

just as you do for intel?

pclab.pl/art72996-13.html

It beats the 5960K and 6850K. Problem seems to be low clocks, even when "overclocked" to 4.1 Ghz.

>pclab.pl/art72996-27.html

I suspect next gen Ryzen with optimized clocks/overclock headroom will fare much better.

>CPU benchmarking deficits to the competition in certain games at 1080p resolution can be attributed to the development and optimization of the game uniquely to Intel platforms
That's so bullshit that it's not even funny. Ryzen should have done way better than the benchmarks indicates, but clearly they lied, cheated, or overhyped to a ridiculous degree and now they're reaping what they sow. Ryzen 7 1700X performs worse than an i3-4370 in some games. That's fucking abysmal.

We should have suspected something was amiss when Ryzen's own fucking BIOS had a cheat-mode setting specifically for well-known benchmarks. Never trust AMD again.

Yes, exactly like we would do if Intel products had such flaws. Good thing they haven't.

Intel's HEDT chips have exactly the same flaws though, which is why all the shills are ignoring them and only mentioning the 7700K.

>It should have done better
>I know their own product better than they do

More like
>I’m not sure what to say about these results – I didn’t expect them. But I am hearing other reviewers are seeing very similar results with the same games and other titles as well. It’s possible we are looking at a bug of some kind in the firmware (I’ve heard disabling SMT will improve performance) of it could be a chipset level issue with add-in card performance. We are waiting to hear back from AMD on this but for the last few days I have been away from our test bed.
(c) pcper.

In some cases disabling SMT improves performance drastically. Some weird shit is going on.

>Ryzen 7 1700X performs worse than an i3-4370 in some games
Source.

P-PLEASE UNDERSTAND. FUTURE TITLES WILL DO BETTER. YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND. IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT RYZEN IS WORSE IN EVERY EXISTING TITLE RIGHT NOW. YOU HAVE TO TRUST US ON THIS ONE! PLEASE BUY AMD!

This is so fucking funny I can't stop laughing holy shit.

PS: WHORES still try to shill by claiming that it's only the case in 1080p and that Ryzen won't be behind in 1440p and 4K once we actually get GPUs like Volta and Vega where CPU bottleneck will actually show same way it showed in 1080p. Resolution has no impact on CPU usage.

The reason is simple.

Higher resolutions are GPU bound. At 1080 the CPU gets a heavier load and this is why Ryzen fails. Especially on games not using all cores.

Look at their architecture and compare it with Intel's Haswell from three years ago. They are damn near identical in everything (although about half the number of FP32 pipelines). There is no reason for Ryzen to be as bad as it is unless they shat the bed in optimization.
And being AMD, of course they shat the bed there. How can you even claim to have a 52% boost in IPC over Piledriver when a stock FX-9590 beats an overclocked Ryzen 7 1800X in CPU-bound applications? AMD should be sued for false marketing.

>it's game devs fault not ours!
Sure thing AYYMD.

You want that in English, German, French, or Chinese pham?
Just google "Ryzen" + "Reviews" and click on any of the pages that comes up.

If that's the case why does ryzen pull ahead at high res?

Should they not be equal?

In english plz.

it did pretty well with dx12 games, and newer games in general. Just like the 480 really. So in a way, ryzen probably is best for future proofed things. PROBABLY.

>Intel has no competition for several years
>Focuses on energy savings over IPC
>Competition on IPC arrives
>Drop prices by $50 across the board
>Ryzen flops performance-wise anyway
>6 months later
>New batch of intel CPUs launched
>Completely stomps amd and make it irrelevant again for another 5 years
>Wow nothing happened
gg ayymd, at least you tried.

Thanks for the price drops though

All resolutions are GPU bound. Plug in a RX 460 and Ryzen will do as good as Intel in 1080p. Is just that we reached the point where CPUs can actually impact GPUs performance in 1080p because modern GPUs like 1080 are so powerful. They still aren't good enough for 1440p and 4K and that's why AMD shills love their 1440p/4K benchmarks so much where all cards tend to start showing diminishing returns and CPUs don't matter much.

Wait for something like 1180 Ti and Ryzen suddenly also starts being 20 fps behind 7700k in 4K.

anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/17
pcgamer.com/the-amd-ryzen-7-review/
hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review/3

Even the positive reviews point out how shit it performs in many other applications and games
techspot.com/review/1345-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x/page4.html
guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_processor_review,18.html

wait, that looks like Ryzen is actually doing really well? Why do you say Ryzen has a poor performance? The 1800X is almost on par with the 7700K.

Make a screenshot or post a pic where "1700X performs worse than an i3-4370 in some games". Im not scrolling through all that bullshit.

Only in like 5% of programs. For the other 95%, Ryzen is P U R E S H I T
Go fuck yourself with a Lisa Su bobblehead. I'm too busy dumping and shorting AMD stocks

It has some wonky stuff with memory and it's shit in gaymen and this is Sup Forums.

And it's far better in any real application usage, even beyond 6900k by a large amount. But yes I'm somewhat disappointed in the 1080p performance since the 4k didn't show any large improvements over intel. But the price is right. The 1500-1600 series will be the ideal gaming chips.

>Ryzen 7 1700X performs worse than an i3-4370 in some games
So you took it out of your ass? Okay then.

>make claim
>cant provide proof
Guess youre just another intel shitposter.

Definitely something weird is happening. Probably as said.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-responds-1080p-gaming-tests-Ryzen
*breathes*
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DAMAGE CONTROL AT MAXIMUM
AMD LIED
SHILLS DIED

>“CPU benchmarking deficits to the competition in certain games at 1080p resolution can be attributed to the development and optimization of the game uniquely to Intel platforms—until now.
Oh wow, can' believe I just read this. I want AMD to fucking go bankrupt.

Always an excuse

Blame Windows
For any french fags out there:
hardware.fr/articles/956-22/retour-sous-systeme-memoire.html
Explanation of the shitty game benchmarks for ryzen.
TL;DR:
L3 cache behave in a new way and windows is not YET able to correctly handle that kind of cache

Nice excuse, AMDrone.

Excuse ≠ Reason

Is it AMD's fault that they have been absent from the field? Arguably.

However, that does not mean that there are reasons for the way in which it performs that do not = "AHAHAHAHA AMD BTFO"

The problem with these discussions is that those leaps in logic, ignoring the reasons for why something is or isn't and instead drawing conclusions from the end result, diisable any chance of critically evaluating the situation and having a discussion around it.

Clearly Ryzen is not bulldozer 2.0... disappointing game performance is what it is: disappointing, but not the entire story.

youtu.be/sciuiEcrnzg

Is he the only unbiased reviewer?

Ryzen wasn't built for 4k.

You don't even need it and most developers will optimize for and, I promise you.

why is so little emphasis being placed on the fact that for gaymers, ryzen will play much smoother with better frame pacing and higher minimum frames, all before optimized bios releases or game optimization has occurred? amd just took a giant steaming shit on intel. you're all dumb fucking sheep.

Because Intel can also do it, I suppose?

damn the 7700k is killing it in these gaming benches. i hope these intel price drops come to my country eventually. i need that cpu

Unbiased as in shilling AMD?
That's what is generally meant by unbiased here, right?

enjoy you're $1k cpu and choppy gameplay

yeah, we all /amd/ here.

>type "ryzen" in google

amd shills on maximum damage control.

>wccf
>viable source
Everybody was calling it out as bullshit, feel free to check the archive yourself.

I mean, seriously now, currytech even had the nerve to label their false graphs under Guru3D's name.

>FURY X
>it's an overclockers dream!
>max OC is barely 50 Mhz
>Ryzen
>XFR! Overclocker's dream!
>max OC is 100 Mhz
>average OC is -100 Mhz
You gotta love AMD.

They don't know what they're doing any more with clock speeds.

youtu.be/V5RP1CPpFVE

what's even more funny is they claimed the 1700x to be faster when not even the 1800x can beat the i7's

Wrong, the world of game devlopers basically develop for Console then port to PC. They couldn't give a shit if your PC has 1000 cores, Most games aren't even CPU bound at all because of the terrible CPUs on consoles to begin with.

I believe it's very clear that one of the major reasons Ryzen performs poorly in some games is that they commit and hit to memory too often, and its memory latency is pretty damn bad it seems, unless that's just something that may get updated in BIOS.

Poorly written code that sets and unsets variables too often.

Fallout 4 comes to mind.

Now, if one was to backpedal, we could mention that clock-for-clock, Ryzen COULD be faster in singlethreaded applications, we'll have to wait on products to ship and someone to get their hands on to test, but that's really pushing some goal posts out, as Ryzen is relatively low clocked, so the potential to OC beyond 4.3/4.4 may well depend on silicon lottery. Asking a chip to remain stable 200mhz above turbo is nothing insane either.

It'll be an interesting few weeks while we get more and more reviews and tests out. But right now Ryzen sits exactly where predictions (Go back 3 weeks) estimated it would sit. Well within 5% of a 7700k in synthetic singlethreaded tasks, and within 5-10% in games. But demolishes everything within a reasonable price bracket when it comes to multithreaded applications.

I know for a fact that quite a few Twitch streamers I speak with are looking forward to payday.

How do we solve the Sup Forums problem?

made me lol considering i have a fury that cant do +30mhz

Some motherboard have had difficulties with higher speed DDR4, so this could be a key element in some tests, but if I recall correctly, then manufacturers releases a statement saying it would be fixed with BIOS updates.

find a better website

>It's an overclocker's dream!
Yeah they forgot to mention they've already overclocked it to the limit.

Get mods that aren't niggers.
Draw a line between technology, and "use" of technology.
The latter being dependant on the former.

>Well within 5% of a 7700k in synthetic singlethreaded tasks

learn to fucking math its more like 15% and even higher when you up the speed a few hundred mhz

Go to /r/AMD
Your home.

>so the potential to OC beyond 4.3/4.4 may well depend on silicon lottery.

mate, i've watched 4 reviews so far an none of them have been able to get any stable results beyond 3.9 ghz on the 1800x. it seems the 1800x is a bit of a lemon when it comes to overclocking. a couple of those reviewers even said they asked around to other reviewers about their overclocking metrics and they also said 3.9 ghz was a wall.

Yea the gaymens care

Wow, look at that AMD damage control. SOOOO glad I got a 7700k and didnt wait like all you cucks.

???
Those numbers look fine to me. What's the problem? It's not better than intel? I thought we knew IPC was not as good, just very close, and games aren't well know for their mt.

>that finger twitch at 2:59 in r6 siege

you can tell all this guy does is game at home

4 reviews, with early chips, not exactly a great sample.

You look at any CPU, Intel or AMD, when the chip first comes out, OC is a lottery, but later on when the fabs get their shit sorted, you start to see higher and higher OC's become more common.
Though it is still disappointing to hear that reviewers are having trouble getting it up there.
I mean, considering that the 1800x base is 3.6, and turbos up to 4.0, you'd think it would hit turbo at the least.

But at the same time, we see other chips breaking overclock records across 8 cores.

The rate at which Ryzen has sold - Sold out on many preorders, with Amazon getting a bump in preorder stock - and now sold out on launch across a number of retailers, I'd say it won't be long until we get more chips into the market, which means more batches produced, which means more tweaks that can be made.

>first generation product with literally nothing optimized for it
>competitive with intels well refined architecture for half the price
>this is a bad thing
it's amazing the level of brainwash money can buy

>implying the shills aren't doing it for free

Very suprising such a low core CPU that can clock very high with high IPC can score good on games that use few cores

I reckon were going to see an amd+vulkan / Intel dx12 split in the coming years.

Reality has an anti-AMD bias

>ryzen died mid benchmark

arma 3 is an unoptimized piece of shit game from trash czech devs with a shit engine, arma 3 should be excluded from any talk regarding benchmarking

the game is literally early access and has been since release

Since when is 60% faster than i5-2500k considered a bottleneck?

Does it matter? Arms 3 is unoptimized as shit because multiplayer only works at 30FPS.

IN THE FUTURE AMD WILL BEAT INTEL NVIDIA TOTALLY

heard it many many times

>he doesn't have a Lisa Su onahole with Fury onahowarmer
Pleb

Compiler optimization will happen.

It happened with Intel CPU and it will happen with AMD Ryzen.

Kill all Sup Forums crossposters.

Since when compiler optimization can be felt in desktop programs and games? lol

well its cheaper than the 1700, so whats the problem? (mobo is cheaper too)

There's no such thing as optimizing for a specific microarchitecture unless it has special extensions to the ISA supported on by that uarch or some other meme (like FMA on bulldozer cpus). AMD is grasping for any way to rationalize underperformance when in reality nobody should have expected them to beat Intel on their first try.

What? 7700k is more expensive.

It's $350. Doesn't come with a cooler, so that's another $30. The motherboards cost $50 more.
So that's $530 for an 7700k+cooler+Z270 motherboard.
The $330 1700 comes with a cooler that's equivalent to a $30 one. So it's $430 for 1700+free cooler+B350 motherboard.

The 1700 combo is $100 less. 18% less.

Yes there is.

Since before you were born, child.

Compiler optimization is what pulled Intel ahead of during Athlon days. Bulldozer was weak, however combine that with Intel's compiler optimization, Bulldozer became super weak.

>all these jewtel shills
hope you are at least getting payed in cash money instead of defective botnet hardware

ah kids these days totally forgetting how shitty the first HT cpus were and intel waited for ms to do something...this is literally the same case here

People forgot the countless fuckups Nehalem had too. Its just that we haven't seen a new arch in ages.

Still waiting for r5/r3. I'm not spending more than 200 eurodollars on a CPU. Especially since even my cheapass i3 4160 can play all recent games at 1080p/60fps.

>I suspect next gen Ryzen with optimized clocks/overclock headroom will fare much better.

le meme

>implying Ryzen is not defective botnet hardware

Intelfags btfo

me too, waiting for the 1400x and 1500x before I even think about building/upgrading

Microsoft hasn't released patches to support Ryzen in the Windows scheduler

Ryzen is better than Intel anything in power consumption pajeet

I wonder if people have ever tried to code something in low level OpenGL or Direct3D. Those subsystems do most of the parallelism on the GPU level, don't work well with multithreading on the CPU level/they often work even faster if a single thread is feeding them instructions, and in many cases you can make it much worse by multithreading them. In many game genres it's simply bad design to not go largely single threaded when all you do is feed extremely simple stuff to an extremely paralleled GPU pipeline.
People should shake their heads when others suggest that games can become a lot more multithreaded on the CPU level since in most cases the most you can subthread is something like a sound engine that won't be more than 2% of your load.
PS. Some benchmark reviewers are so clueless that they bottleneck their GPUs and then pretend that they do a CPU test. The entire point is to test the CPU bottlenecks when you test CPUs. If you don't, you practically do motherboard testing!

There's a ton of shit, from simple scheduling fixes to all kinds of random shit, even back in the P4 days there was special optimization for it
The Linux kernel got a lot of Zen related patches since 2015
Stupid Sup Forums nigger, fuck off