How can anyone regard Linux as a good OS when it cant handle a stupid printer?

How can anyone regard Linux as a good OS when it cant handle a stupid printer?

install gentoo

Cups

anyone who thinks Linux is good for home usage is autistic and can have fun downloading drivers all day long.

this

>Have used Linux at home for at least 7 years
>Everyone else in the house has problems with the printer
>Have to install drivers or give up devices for others in the house all the time
>Never had problems myself

My parents are doing just fine with it. I installed the printer drivers for them but they don't have any problems.

You might just be inexperienced with technology, which is nothing to be ashamed of, but don't go around blaming the Linux for your bad experience.

It is the other way around, the printer doesn't have proper drivers made for Linux, that is a problem with your printer, not Linux.

>printing things
>2017

Jesus fucking Christ.

>Arch Linux
>install cups package
>just werks

Idk OP maybe you're just retarded

try gutenprint cuck

This, CUPS is fantastic and is easier to use than hunting down Windows drivers online.

have used linux for 3 years never had any problems with it, it just works

also use network printers and cups.

usb attached printers have, and always will be god awful cancer.

and no, windows print servers are not good.

>usb attached printers have, and always will be god awful cancer.
They're a lot easier to use, actually, have you ever even used CUPS?

10 points to this guy

>Plug printer into laptop running openSUSE
>Notification pops up saying "Hey, you want me to print with this?"
>Click yes
>It starts working

*shrug*

I'm the first to call out the average linux distro for being buggy as fuck, but printers are oddly the one thing that just seem to work with it better than Windows.

>Windows drivers
>just seem to work with it better than Windows.

Are you people so fucking autistic that printing on Windows is hard for you...

It's not hard; Linux is just easier than searching on manufacturers' shitty websites.

You just hook up the printer....

...And go search for drivers, yes.
By your logic, it's the same process on Linux.

You don't search for drivers
>you use google docs/word/publisher/paint/ or any other program

OK. This also works on Linux.

this, cups just werks

>have printer
>manufacturer puts drivers into click-maze hellhole
>several years later, driver page gone
>oops ;^)
cups was made by fucking apple and then given away so we wouldn't have to deal with this bullshit

This. Linux has printer support on par with OS X, as that's where its printer support comes from, and OS X has great printer support. I've had a couple different printers and have never had to set anything up, just hook the printer up to the network, Cmd+P on the document I want to print, and the printer shows up all ready to go.

What's fucked up about these anti-Linux threads is that the shills could moan about legit stuff like systemd, but they never do. It's pretty obvious from this thread that the dumb-ass shill who made it never even tried to print from Linux.

Got a (You) and a captcha solution though so I guess the mods are probably happy.

>m-muh shills

Are you literally retarded?
Why would Microsoft need to shill? In fucking Sup Forums of all places.

Microsoft's been officially shilling against Linux since 1998 at least, and I never mentioned them anyway. Interesting you would, especially in the context of an unprompted denial. Shill.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

windows container for linux vm is the only good option

You've got that backwards.

When you grow up you'll find that for a lot of official paperwork you need, well, paperwork...

This.
You can use wine/VBox to play games, or retroarch to emulate the only ones that worth playing.
But you can't substitute printing.
>inb4 paper in 2017
Still many work places, and other places require you to use paper.
even you ID and car licensee is in paper.
Most respectable companies require your CV in paper form.
>hplip, other methods
While do these "work", it does not mean it usable.
For example HP F300 All-in-one, can't set the printing quality making prints only in the highest quality with very slow printing, scanning is not possible and can't control copying features.
>CUPS
Very good with old printers that used serial ports or Ethernet cable, not so much for USB printers.
>just werks
Though there are some printers that works very well under GNU/Linux with nearly no issues.

So far the best solution is wireless printer that have it's own printing server.

>USB printers
>using printers over usb
worse than Hitler

I agree with you.
Sadly this is today consumers printers.