Society is Doomed !

Millennial tries a relaunched Nokia 3310…and fails
youtube.com/watch?v=NdijS7nXsfU

>omg he's younger than me and didn't grow up with what I grew up with, fuckinmillenials

I dunno, Im not old by any means, Im 24, but I grew up using "dumb phones" (then just cellphones) in middle/early highschool, and I could definitely understand how it wouldnt seem intuitive or nice to use if you've never used one before. Everyone hated t9 word before they got blackberries, we just put up with it because we basically had to (or get a shitty slide out keyboard phone that will probably break after a month). The navigation was slow and you could only store a limited number of contacts, usually 150-250, I know because I was a drug dealer in highschool and had to have like 5 phones before I got a blackberry. If it had a camera it basically just for the fuck of it because you couldn't actually make out anything you shot (I think it wasn't until the RAZR came out that half decent cameras became the norm). Reception was mediocre at best, I know I couldn't use my phone in my room unless I held it by the window when I was like 12 or 13. If it had internet it would take eons to load anything and end up costing you like $30.

Dumb phones fucking sucked, why would you shit on a kid for not instinctively mastering a device he's never used before and that only existed because nothing better had come along yet?

Would you expect a 14 year old to know how to use DOS just by sitting down at an old computer for 10 seconds? Of course not, why would anyone need to use DOS now? This is basically the same thing

>Expecting anything from a 15yo Spaniard

>15 years old
>Millennial

His commentary is interesting and relevant. Dumphones do not have intuitive interfaces; they have awkward, limited ones constrained by the tech. Older people may like this device due to one or more of
>they are nostalgic for it
>they are used to similar devices
>they don't want distracting features they don't use
>they need the battery life

This device is much less useful than an iPhone and other than the battery life offers no real advantages. It's not surprising that a teenager would be disinterested and confused by it.

I think 15-yo me would have been better at figuring it out, but I was a nerd and often investigated weird tech just for the hell of it.

I could still pull up a contact and call it faster on a W610 or a similar sony ericsson phone from that era compared to a fucking touchscreen.
Menu navigation was unarguably faster and it had no limits on the number of contacts you could have. There was even a shitload of software mods people were making for those phones.

You must have been buying shitty phones.

and are right.

Old phones fucking sucked! They were great compared to not having anything, but it was industry first try, and a lot has been leared since then.

>There was even a shitload of software mods people were making for those phones.
>shitty mods for one or two phones were more than Google Play Store, App store, and the explosion of open source social networks.

There is simply no comparison.

>this wall of text

lel

Interfaces on dumb phones really was a pain in the ass a lot of times.

The internet is now more demanding and there's an app for everything. Today's phones now support that kind of usage.

My problem is that the other guy complained about a bunch of things that were never an issue 10 years ago.
You could do pretty much everything you'd want to do on a phone.

Not watching whatever has this fat retard in it

>Dumbphones had unintuitive interfaces
No, phones that tried to be precursors to smartphones did.
Decent dumbphones had an "options" button and then you scrolled through to settings, messaging, games, etc. There were like 9 options in total.
There WAS no interface

Using a dumb phone for calling and answering calls is actually way faster than using a smart phone. I have a smartphone now because my old dumb phone battery took a shit, but I really miss being able to answer and make calls really quickly without having to look at the phone.

>Limit of contacts

What in the actual fuck? Smartphones have more storage equals more contacts

Also nice trips

I would still use my Motorola RAZR if it had wifi

You must be at least 18 years old to use this website.

Are you using a gigabyte of storage for contacts alone or something?
You don't need more than 50 bytes for a name and a single number.
You could store 20000 contacts in 1MB of storage.

"Smartphones have more storage equals more contacts" loses all practical meaning very quickly.

Yea I know I have like 200 contacts only. Op was a just a fucktard implying smartphones can't store

>Op was a just a fucktard implying smartphones can't store

What did he mean with this?

I liked T9 word though ;~;

That's nice. Retard.

A lot of older phones did have a limit of number of contacts that they could store.
This wasn't a storage memory limit... it was just 'a limit' because of software .
I never hit it personally until I was 21 with an old flip phone... and I had just been moving my contact store over and over from phone to phone since I was 11. :/
I think the phone I had could only store like 500 contacts, and I had hit that after 10 years of never clearing the list out.

Now, the fact that kid couldn't figure out the menu does just mean he's stupid. It's not sitting him down in front of DOS. It's a GUI dammit. You just have to use buttons to move the selection. He's just stupid.

>A limited number of contacts
>Only 150-250
>What a tragedy
>Goos thing we're free from these terible times

Could you be any more of a gigantic turbo normalfag? Fucking hell the fuck out.

This kid isn't even a millennial.

A slideout qwerty phone easily breaking? surely you jest user...i had at least 3 different landscape qwerty phones and broke none of them despite being a gigantic drunken idiot at the time.

I recall accidentally running over a samsung messenger touch...also threw it at someones head too, and it bounced off a fridge. had a bit of a dent in it (so did the fridge) but the fucking thing still worked fine.

a good qwerty slider back in the day was fucking indestructable...unlike todays phones that shatter if you give em an angry look.

>company re-releases fancier version of phone you used to have
>apparently still so outdated a 15 year old can't figure it out
stop making me feel old

has that kid never touched a machine that didn't have a touchscreen?

the interfaces on these phones are quite intuitive, and not too far off what we still use (arrow keys instead of swiping in that direction, center button instead of tapping on a selection, and a couple of dynamic context buttons, whose function is indicated on the screen) the only major difference being that you have to move to a selection rather than directly pointing at it

>explosion of open source social networks

15 y/o is gen z. Those kids grew up with smartphone. Of course he can't really operate a dumbphone.

navigating with buttons is not a problem at all. The problem is with the user.

You have to lack basic rational thinking if you are unable to navigate a simple fucking menu. I mean, shit, the way you operate with things change all the fucking time, I mean when you are navigating through recovery on your phone you use volume +-.

If you're not a braindead retard then this shouldn't be a problem at all.

allahu akbar

>Dumphones do not have intuitive interfaces
not true some had really good interfaces like the last one I used to have (samsung gt-e1200)
some other don't but just don't buy them

That's the definitive look of young faggot in /currentyear/

Nah, he's just dumb.
My 15y/o brother can operate a dumbphone.

I watched the comparison between the old one and the new one and the new one is nothing like the old one. The only selling point is that it was a remake. Why bother?

>millenial
Most millenials either grew up with phones just like the 3310 or used them as teens/young adults.

>Dumphones do not have intuitive interfaces
You press the number keys and then you hit the left button to call. You press the right button to hang up or erase the numbers on the screen if you accidentally mis-entered. There's not much to learn.

>t. triggered tech-illiterate millenial autist
Go play with your Fisher-Price phone, retard.

This 100%
Most elitists here won't admit it though, because they have nothing better to do than pat themselves on the back for knowing how to operate ancient and deprecated technologies.

15 year olds are not millennials you retard. They're gen Z.

This.

>why would anyone need to use DOS now

How else would you prove you couldn't save to a file called c:\lpt1?

>20 seconds of reading is so hard
Kek retardoline

Thats gen z you goof

>Mexican
>Intellectuals