/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Last thread: What can I do with a 32MB flash drive?

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2014/07/31/black_hat_hackers_drive_truck_through_hole_in_usb_security/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=1TS-001A-00382
ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Ultrastar-2TB-64MB-7200RPM-3-5-Enterprise-SATA-6Gb-s-Hard-Drive-0F12455-/171980392612?hash=item280ad488a4:g:kLoAAOSw~bFWLtHc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Store all your important text files. Or better yet use the microcontroller in it.

theregister.co.uk/2014/07/31/black_hat_hackers_drive_truck_through_hole_in_usb_security/

Should I overclock my 6700k or under volt it and leave it stock?

I have the Asus ROG ranger z170 motherboard and out of the box, it sends 1.4v to the CPU to reach its stock boost clock of 4.2ghz. I manually set the clock to 4.2ghz and was able to undervolt to as low as 1.050v and still remain prime95/handbrake stable. Temps dropped 17C under load.

I also was able to get 4.7ghz while leaving the voltage alone (maxing out at 1.42v) stable 100% load on all threads as well. Heat is no issue, my cooler is keeping up just fine even with the higher voltage. I'm seeing 80C at a max after encoding for 12+ hours.

Other than encoding, I browse the net and play Vidya. So, over? Or under?

I'm installing Windows 8.1 update 1 after a good while of not doing so.

Tell me dudes, should I update it all the way or not update it at all? I remember using 8.1 update 1 without any updates for months and not having troubles, but still, what do you think?
Note: I don't give two shits about the botnet, I just want something more stable than 10.

Looking for a quiet, chiclet-style wired keyboard that won't break the bank.
Recs?

Any idea what these subscripts represent?

I'm in a computer architecture class and I've got a homework question to convert a IEEE 754 floating point number to decimal

I've got it into binary but I don't know how to expand it and convert to decimal, could you help a brother out?

floating point 0x0C000000 -> 1.0x2^-103 binary, how get to decimal?

is plex good for playing music?

Assuming your conversion is right... that's already a decimal number. Unless you ended up with a 3 in binary which I'm afraid is too stupid for this thread.

Wait, I just literally slap that into a calculator and get a super negative number?

It should be a very small but positive number, with a negative exponent like that.

Cool, thanks user.

Is a CompTIA A+ certification worth anything? There's a non profit in my area offering a free certification course. Not in the tech field but would it look good on a resume?

Certifications are generally just a poor cover up for not having a degree. Better to seek out tangible and demonstrable experience.

What's the tablet equivalent of OnePlus One? Decent specs, good price, active developer community?

Can this computer run skyrim?

Specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3960X (Six Core Extreme, 15MB Cache,Overclocked up to 4.2Ghz)
Graphics card: 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580
Memory: 16GB Q DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz - 4 DIMMS

also if it can will it run on the highest settings

how do I get deluge to stop crashing on my toaster of a router? I keep losing my ratio and having to recheck torrents.

It will run the highest settings at least 60 hz, yes

Comptia a+ used to be OK, not so much anymore that I seen. Network + some still look at.

Yes.

GPU will have some trouble but it should be able to run it.

Unless you mean the remaster version, then you will have problems.

use rtorrent

Can i use a AM3+ CPU(FX 8120) in a AM3 motherboard?

why does this psu have 2 cpu 8 pin adapters? Don't motherboards just have one?

There are dual CPU motherboards too you know.

Alright guys, does anyone know some good open source live!voice changing software that I can use to mess with friends in calls

I really like that blue and not really a fan of their SOC orange colour.

Do standard PCH heatsinks use heatsink compound or the pads? z97 PCH seems to get a git too hot sometimes and wondering whats used under the sink.

I'm on a mac and I usually tag my files. I want to do the following:

Find all the files in ~/Desktop with the gray tag
move them to folder ~/Desktop/gray_folder

What would be the command I would use?

So far, what I have,
tag -m green

Lists the files with the green tag, but I'm not sure how I'd move those files

Budget is max $900 for a laptop

I barely game, probably the most demanding thing I would ever want would be Dark Souls 3 MAYBE, more likely I would torrent the first Dark Souls and play it a few times.

The best CPU, SSD, and build quality are what I'm looking for, under 5 pounds and a great battery would be a plus. No apple.

I'm not sure if I'm the demographic that netbooks/chromebooks are aimed at, but I feel uneasy about that

My shitty judgement using newegg led me to this, but I dont like that it's a dualcore (thought I know next to nothing when comparing CPUs)

Please for the love of god help me

Okay, small update: I used the following command:
mv `tag -m gray` ~/Desktop/gray_folder

And it moved some of the files, but it failed to move files with a space in the filename

Monitor died and need something for right now. They have a bunch of monitors at my local thrift store. I got access to a power jack there but that's it. How can I avoid which ones are shit, illegible, blurry, or otherwise shit? No return policy got me spooked

>Certifications are generally just a poor cover up for not having a degree
said nobody ever

that being said, demonstrable experience is king.

Buy a new one out amazon.

Atleast those $50 768p TN pannels.
Samsung and Acer ones should have no problems other than shitty viewing angles.

why does turning off hyper-threading on a 7700K make such a huge difference in temperature?

>why does not red-lining my engine reduce its temperature?

is it worth installing ubuntu on usb or should i just stay on windows

Sorry I'm not too familiar with hyperthreading.

pls respond

>installing ubuntu on usb
I don't think you know how this works, winbabby.

is i5 6500 still decent cpu? im not into overclocking shit so i don't think i need the k version

Scale of 1-10, how fucked am I if I try to do a hard restart?
>mid factory reset and this happens

>Alienware
You were fucked before you ever booted it up

10/10

raid 1 is a mirrored array, so there's no occasional check, it's just writing the same data to both disks simultaneously.

By hard restart you mean hitting it with a hammer and then getting it replaced with a warranty claim right? If so, do it and sell the new one to buy a good computer.

I got this laptop for free.

And by hard restart, I mean holding the button down to force it to shut down manually. I came here for helpful answers, not to get shat on by people who have none.

So I can just pull them out and throw them into a server and run mdadm? I'm planning to back everything up before doing the transfer but I'd rather not have to spend several days rewriting all that data to a new array if I don't have to.

>I came here for helpful answers

>stupid questions thread
>literally cannot answer a stupid question
We're done here.

Is there a way to make my PC's music library available on my smartphone?

I'm guessing there's some sort of server I have to install.

Any idea?

For a while now I've been using an eGPU setup with my Thinkpad and a desktop PSU/GPU, and now that I've got enough money, I'm building my first fully-fledged desktop PC.
So, I was wondering: is there any precautions or things I should look out for when transferring the PSU/GPU to the new setup? They both work completely fine, I'm mostly asking 'cause I'm paranoid of the PSU completely frying my system or something like that since it's been in use before.

you mean aside from just copying the files over?

Anyone here have experience with HomePNA?

I'd like to DMZ+ a networking setup in my office but the AT&T RG is in my living room. Seems like my best option since I can't do any wiring.

You want it only in your house or available anywhere? If anywhere just set up a regular web-facing home server to SSH into whenever you want, if while at home just set up a home WLAN with a router.

Available anywhere. Is there a tutorial or something I can follow to make my desktop a server? I'm on windows.

you didn't ask for helpful answers, you asked how fucked you were and now you're acting like a little shit when you don't like the answers you got.

>how fucked am I?
>very fucked

should I use a hybrid physx setup with an rx 480 and a gtx 740? or is just a hassle to set up and/or is the 740 so shit it would actually make things worse?

I have Windows 10 and set up the task bar to auto hide, but whenever I get a message from Skype or Discord, the bar pops again, is there any way to prevent that?

I built a computer about two months ago and I've discovered a problem. A couple weeks ago, after moving my computer onto a new desk, the pc bluescreened, and would never get to the OS after that. No matter how many times I reset it or shut it down, it would always bluescreen when turning on. None of the repair options worked short of resetting the win10 installation via the USB drive it came on. Safe mode didn't even work, it would just blue screen again.

"System thread exception not handled" was the stopcode.

Today it happened again, and I discovered the pattern. It happened right after I plugged in a USB device into a particular port on the motherboard, one of the 3.1 ports. It's this one particular port that causes this. I'm pretty sure I plugged something into it last time to cause it as well (I finally plugged in my hub that day as well, since I'd moved the computer).

BIOS are up to date. I assume it's the USB 3.1 driver or something, but I can't even do anything about it because the pc won't ever load into the OS, not even in safe mode. I might just have to reset the win10 install again like last time, then avoid that port forever, maybe put one of those rubber caps in it.

Asus z170-a (the culprit, i believe, their drivers at the very least)
Intel 6600k
Corsair LPX 32gb
Gigabyte GTX1070
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb
WD Blue 1tb
Corsair RM650x

Any ideas?

M.2 SSD vs 2"5 SSD. Any real difference in performance, durability, whatever?

Search "how to set up a server" on your favorite search engine. There should be plenty of guides. It's not really hard, but it is fairly involved and depending what you want to do and how (you really shouldn't be using Windows for this) the instructions will likely be different.

youd probably have to turn off message notifications from the apps, if thats possible in their settings

testing how to use code tags

blah blah

just got a laptop and will be using it for coding
was wondering how i should orient my storage
should i keep the ide on the ssd?
wouldnt the continuous write and rewrite kill the lifespan of the ssd quickly?
if i keep the ide on the ssd and store projects on a hdd would the speed be slowed as it has to retrieve from the hdd?

does Sup Forums allow webms with audio or not?

M.2 SSD (not NVMe) uses the SATA protocol, so there's no difference.
What matters is the flash controller, and the type of NAND flash used in the SSD,

> Asus z170-a
Yeah, that board has some baaaaad BIOS problems.

unless they changed something in the last couple months, yes. if you go to settings at the top of the page, you can change them so that webms arent muted by default

If you already have both cards, and can use them both, yeah, go ahead. LinuxShillTraps did a good video on PhysX benchmarks.

hm

that being said, it seems like most people post webms that dont have audio anyway. maybe just a consideration of the file size

You'll get better support with PFSense.

>pirate vn
>instructions say to burn iso
>these are only things in folder

The fuck did I just download?

thanks. i wonder how tangible of a difference itll make

How do I get the original filename back?
xargs or some nested environment?
I am not very good at this

md5sum *|cut -d ' ' -f 1|sort|uniq -c

>Facebook
0 if you dont mind to corrupt your windows partition.

That looks like a software problem, reinstall windows.

Why is Deluge such a piece of garbage?

What should I switch to?

Yes.
All boards? No.

/wsg/ and /gif/ do.

>ASUS
Good luck with the RMA if you didn't bought it trough amazon.

A disc image. Mount/burn it the same way you would any other disc image (select the cue file, though both should work).

If you have an overkill CPU, virtually none, but it will lighten the load on the CPU, so older CPUs will benefit quite nicely.

Qbittorrent is breddy gud.

nice bait

In a laptop, everything else the same in the machine, meant for light gaming but mainly mundane:

i7 6500U
or
i5-6300HQ

If it's a really fast USB3.1 drive, it can work quite well.
If you have a USB->SATA adapter, or external drive enclosure (that supports AHCI), you can run it off an old 30+GB SSD over the USB port.
You're usually better off running it in a VM.

I5-6300HQ if you dont mind heat and giving it proper cleaning once every 3-6 months and repasting every 1-2 years.

I7-6500 for just werks.

What matters is the GPU.

What?

>battery life
i7 6500U

>performance
i5-6300HQ

It's that simple.

Apparently the I5-6300HQ has better IGPU so it wins.

It also uses 3 times more energy and probably twice as hot because HQ CPUs are hot.

>IGPU
Because you'll use that for anything but CS:S or Minecraft...

Is this a pretty good hard drive?

ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Ultrastar-2TB-64MB-7200RPM-3-5-Enterprise-SATA-6Gb-s-Hard-Drive-0F12455-/171980392612?hash=item280ad488a4:g:kLoAAOSw~bFWLtHc

>Hitachi
yes.

He asked which one was better for general use and light gaming.

Both are good for "general use", and the I5HQ is better for light gaming.

do i need to upgrade to windows 10 to take advantage of it? ive read some people saying on older OSs the gpu not connected to the monitor will disable itself. the only explicit support is with dx12, but idk if theres a workaround for windows 7 or something

What I meant by light gaming would be playing dark souls 3 every now and then and that would be by far the most I would ever demand from my machine

under

Thanks, that worked. I've never seen a .cue file before, I didn't know what to do with it.

Why is installing RAID not a choice from the initial Windows startup?

It detects all 3 of my fresh HDDs but doesn't give any choice for any RAID for installing Windows.

If my budget is $800, and I want a daily laptop that is solid and can sometimes play DS3, is this my guy?