/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UFpkE7Rjkns
youtube.com/watch?v=CPWCl2FDKe8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

can we talk about clocks too

sure

r8 my clock

+1/-1 second over 10,000 years

Swan neck regulators seem really useful, why don't all watches have them?

Can springbars literally disappear?

Do material things ever literally disappear?

>$12,000

Holy fucking shit, I knew that Panerais cost kilobucks but I thought it was $1,000, $2,000 at best.

But $12,000 holy fucking shit lol.

youtube.com/watch?v=UFpkE7Rjkns

yes

are material things really here in the first place?

Thought the fake was the real one.

I am not sure it does.

Is that you, Jaden?

That's better answered as two separate questions. Many watches have other types of micro-adjusters for the beat rate, such as the etachron screw (used on ETA movements) or Seiko's screw type micro-adjuster. Screw type micro-adjusters work at least as well as swan necks, and maybe better.

As for why many movements don't have micro-adjusters at all, that's a matter of cost savings on entry level movements, typically

I'd be surprised if it did 30 seconds a month

I don't get what you mean. It syncs every day and it's spot on with time.is

Key word syncs, if I set a mechanical watch every single day it would be pretty accurate too.

Only if you set it using the atomic clock

i have an excessive amount of alarm clocks. this is not all of them.

Do you use your phone for your actual alarm

Sure, the point I'm making is your clock doesn't have to be accurate at all when it's reset all the time. The atomic clock is accurate to seconds per millennia, yours is not.

>Key word syncs

Yes we have established that it syncs

So your "I'd be surprised if it did 30 seconds a month" is a retarded comment.

at home i use one of the bigger ones until i get bored of it and then switch it out. right now i am using a 1960s westclox. when i am traveling (which is often) i pick one of the smaller ones you see there.

where did you get them? I'm really keen on getting an old style alarm clock

ebay and etsy are the best places i've found.

>yours is not.
It is

This is what autism looks like

he's right though

i think the distinction here is philosophical. is a radio atomic clock a separate movement, or is it merely a slave dial to the NIST cesium fountain? perhaps it is something in between.

Takes one to know one.

Your clock by itself is no more accurate than a cheap quartz movement. It just sets itself automatically instead of making you do it every day. That isn't a very impressive time keeping feat.

I think the distinction here is between people who aren't autistic and people who are.

It's good to have a radio clock in your house as the master clock everything else is set to.

No one said it was you incredible raging autist.

Is this weird? Am I the only one who does this? I find something about watches spectacular. They are incredible works of engineering and I just ... they're beautiful.

Um, yes?

never buying a used watch again

i set this to the GW5000, and i set everything else to this.

that isn't the right lubricant according to the service manual.

>I'm too autistic to understand jokes

The Atomic clock is accurate, the clocks that sync up to it are not necessarily so.

You can call it autism it doesn't mae you right

What was the joke here?

The same as when someone posts about the accuracy of their mechanical watch and then you post a picture of a $10 quartz watch

what's the joke there?

Humour is a difficult concept for those with autism.

I can tell.

clearly, seeing your attempts

Are these things really worth the money for their engineering value or are their prices vastly inflated by all the rich fuckers collecting them?

>expecting not to find autism on Sup Forums

Pretty autistic 2bh

both

depends what you buy

Which specific watch are you referring too?

which item made by a human culture are we talking about here

Can't be both. $100k watches are worth their value for their engineering alone?

Well, the really expensive ones like Patek. I can understand the price hitting thousands because they're made of precious metals but they shouldn't be worth that much.

Grand seiko: expensive because of engineering

Rolex: expensive because of quality of finish

Omega: expensive because of marketing and memes

Patel: expensive because of exclusivity and rich fucks collecting them

no, it can only be "both". you said "these things", which a reasonable person could only take to mean "mechanical watches in general".

There's only about $500-$700 worth of gold, by commodity prices, in a typical gold watch.

>patel
having a freudian slip, are we pajeet?
were you unable to shill your shitter beat-up sarb to a Mr. Patel?

Maybe k and l are next to each other on his keyboard

Archieluxery is the epitomization of why patek watches are expensive

Patek autocorrects to patel

l is beside k so I can forgive him.

Even then, the cheaper ones (non-crap Chinese minimum) are worth their prices? They're $300+.

All they do is tell the time.

one off masterpieces like this
youtube.com/watch?v=CPWCl2FDKe8
are obviously worth the engineering alone

Is a Ferrari worth the money? All it does is drive

Hey guys, what do you call a watch that can't keep time?
Timeless!

seiko 5 starts at about $60 and uses a movement made in malaysia. it tells the time, the date, and the day of the week.

there's obviously some reason you're in this thread. why don't you get a seiko 5 and see whether it pleases you? if not, you're only out $60.

For 26m and being a one-off, that's the very definition of the price being inflated because the demand far outstrips the supply.

I agree that I'd actually pay thousands for more complicated movements though.

Unlike a cheaper car, a Ferrari drives really well.

you aren't going to find a piece comparable to a 100k piece for much less. people pay it. I think you are thinking too hard about objective value.

prices are inflated but that's just how watches are

keep in mind that for an item like this, the high price is itself a selling point.

you can't flaunt wealth with something that didn't cost you a lot.

The thing took 6 years to be created, that manpower along with their education training and materials could come close to 3 million, which was the original price of the watch in 1989 (inflation adjusted it's 5.8 mil)

Any luxury company would make far more money by just producing pieces of shit to sell to plebs.

Rolex could make much more money selling $10 quartz watches.]

Volkswagen make more money than Ferrari.

When you buy a luxury item you pay a high price to compensate the company for focusing on high end and well engineered stuff.

it's almost like if someone wants something more than other people do, they will pay more.

this could possibly lead to exclusive collectibles appreciating in value

Haldimann H9 Reduction

for the most part its inflated to fuck after about 2 grand

>Panerais cost 12 (twelve) thousand dollars

Innovative: no, generic ETA movements

Good finish: no, they look basic as fuck

I mean if you know that much then obviously you know which "luxury" brands are scams

i can't tell from the article, does it have a tourbillon? if so then i might argue that it can "keep" time, but cannot "tell" it.

As you say, it does indeed "keep, but not tell" time.

I've stuck to looking at watches less than 2 grand, aye. I think you can make a watch look good without having it made out of precious metals.

If you want watches with non inflated prices look to China. You'll have to wade through mounds of shit though.

Where do you go to get the exact time?
I've been using time.is

that would be the watch from "Hello, My Twenties!"

My sundial

I dig JLC for complications, they are over 2k but well under what you would pay for a comparable Patek

Are there any slide rule watches that look good

as in objectively attractive and everyone will always like it? No because busy watches are something you have to like, it's not everyone's thing

Are there any slide rule watches that aren't busy? Like without a chronograph. I don't give a shit about the chronograph I just want to do math

It's usually a complication that goes on a pilot watch, which often have chronographs.

you'd have to dig around to find a watch with just a sliderule bezel

not a wristwatch, but you could consider a KL-1 pocket watch slide rule

what's a good quartz chrono?

I have just found some but yeesh, you are probably better off with a chronograph that these

seiko ssb series is alright for the money if you find one you like

Bulova's high frequency quartz are alright movements too.

Is
>21 H
just there to visually balance the date window?

also consider stuff with a VK64 movement

I can only guess

I mean, if that were a functional GMT complication, I could be okay with it. But I suspect it's not.

no I am fairly certain its just 24 hour numerals. not that 24 hour numerals can't be done well,but that one is not

gah and why is 60 on the slide rule at the top of the watch instead of 1? and the hour scale is 13-24 rather than 1-12 or 1-24. Everything about this watch horrifies me. Thanks user I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

maybe

New strap arrived, think it looks pretty goof for $30 chink shit

Is the extra price worth it over the SKX007?
I love the look of these, probably the best looking seiko diver's.

Give me a reason why i shouldnt buy this? Has tritium dial by the way