Why is installing Arch so complicated?

Why is installing Arch so complicated?

Is it even worth it? should I just install a different distro?

inbf4: gentoo lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Frequently_asked_questions
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/03/trump-softens-h1b-visa-policy-during-gop-debate.html
arch-anywhere.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>installing a distro for "advanced"user known for being hard to install
>whines about it being hard to install

do you hate milk taste like milk too?

Arch-anywhere is a protip. You can choose DE and preinstalled packages.

Windows 10 doesn't have this problem.

It isn't complicated at all, it just takes a few minutes longer to do than your average automated installer. That said, there are automated installers for Arch that do the work for you.

>follow the wiki
>have to do a bunch of things other distros simply do for you
>at best you'll learn some commands and a little bit about filesystems

wow it's fucking nothing
you can learn the saem things from installing ubuntu minimal

>use arch anyway because it's 1337
>pacman -syu breaks your system because package/distro maintainers changed something about xorg or something like that
lol

Welp. So much for the "difficult to instell" argument.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Frequently_asked_questions

The only thing you need for installing Arch is to not be illiterate.

Tedious, long-winded, and unnecessary, but not actually difficult.

So Arch messes with upstream code?

>partition disks
>format partitions
>mount partitions
>install Arch
>configure settings

Wow so hard OP

I prefer Windows 10 to Linux too.

It's not complicated dude. It's literally

>Boot into live iso
>Create partitions
>Choose filesystems
>Install base
>Chroot into new system
>Set up bootloader

And that's it. It's exactly what any other distro does but Arch does it through command line which makes absolutely zero difference if you are able to use "man" or able to read and follow. I honestly don't understand why people think it's hard.

The Arch way is not the fact that it doesn't have an installer, Arch way is setting up your own system with your own configurations. Which is why you create users passwords and stuff yourself and choose a DE or WM to install. Arch not having a graphic installer has not as much to do with the Arch way as people think.

In short, you are weird.

>yo let's switch init systems
>lol k

Wat?

Looks like Gentoo.

>Boot into Live OS
>Create disks
>Mount disks
>Install base
>Chroot into
>Configure
>Reboot.

haha

Is this a Windows 10 easter egg?

If so, how do you trigger it?

Kill yourself, shit for brains.

leave it idle for more than 20 minutes

haha

easter egg glitched

>have arch iso on usb
>boot into usb in bios
>nothing happens

fucking why

>probl W (0
neat

using it all day for vidyagaymes and Sup Forums shitposting isn't idling moron

make an Ubuntu usb user

how the fuck do Winfags even live with this lol

between this shit and rapey updates interrupting basic important shit like homework, how does this shitty company still have so much market share when Apple and literally every Linux distro does it better

I had an issue with probl W (0 after the Anniversary Update. Turns out it was being caused by kerh G[nek SU not being configured correctly while iHAd$hasl.dll was loaded. Simple enough fix.

install windows like a normal person, run these meme systems in a virtual machine to keep the autism from infecting your pc

I tried a mint as a test distro, still the same problem. Should I try a different USB?

for the record I'm using an MSI mother board, if I press the delete key it takes me to the over clocking shit, F11 takes me to the booting menu, as I said if I press the usb with the distro nothing happens.

>all day
*all 5 days

I installed Windows 10 just for the hell of it, clean install, not even an hour in and I got that screen.

wiped my hard drive, and haven't touched windows since. 8 months later and I still don't regret it

is a RICED desktop too much to ask for?

you can do this on any linux distro though

name 1 distro that can do that aside from arch 13

>pajeet coding
this is what you get for using a shitty OS produced by one of the biggest abusers of the H1B visa

ubuntu, mint, debian

wtf is arch 13?

>shitty
how

but does it have i3

probl W (0

I meant to type i3

I don't like milk.

you can get i3 on just about any Linux distro. Even if it's not in the official repositories you can download it from the official site and install it yourself.

Why do you need Arch to run i3, or any other window manager?

>no feelings of accomplishment by not installing it on a convoluted piece of shit os

damn hipsters nowadays, leaving their pc idle for more than 20 minutes

fucking hell. is there anything winfag cucks won't put up with?

It's not convoluted, in fact it's a lot simpler than (probably) any OS you've ever used

User-centrality > user-friendliness

The problem with "user-friendly" operating systems is that, for every simple process, they add unnecessary layers of complexity. So what's under the hood is a lot harder to maintain.

So basically, the more "user-friendly" something is, the harder it is to maintain and configure, the easier it is for things to break, the more bugs that will pop up with each update, etc.

Arch, along with Slackware, follow the KISS philosophy, which is essentially "keep it simple." Installation is done through a command line, but what you're typing in the command line is actually very simple. And you're seeing everything that's being done, no unnecessary layers of complexity or spaghetti code hidden beneath a pretty GUI that will cause system breakage.

lonicks

>pacman -syu breaks your system because package/distro maintainers changed something about xorg or something like that
I ran pacman -Syu the other day, after about a year and a half of not using this partition. Nothing broke.

>half a year
Come on man. I've updated every other day for a year now with no breakage, and even I know that you shouldn't go that long without updating. And if you do, you're better off just doing a reinstall and keeping the home partition

You went a year and a half without an update?

1.5 years actually. And yeah, I know you're not supposed to leave it that long, but nothing broke. I was afraid I would have to, and prepared to, spend all day fixing my system but everything went through fine. I've tried all my usual programs and nothing's broken.

typical Sup Forums crossposter

Arch is gentoo for phags.
At least Debian has a stable code base and more packages. Debian is superior binary distro.

Did you make the iso bootable or did you just move it onto your flash drive

I have used power iso to make it bootable yes.

nice dock macfag

You can always tell the kiddos whose parents are too poor to buy them a Mac by the dock.

Installing Arch is not hard, it's pretty easy you just need to follow the guide. I'll consider myself a total moron using Linux could do it.

Arch isn't minimalist.

"It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible."

"It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom / choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian. There are very few cases where there are multiple packages offering different configurations of the same project. There's no equivalent to update-alternatives or the comparable uses of USE flags. Changing /bin/sh from Bash will be broken, as will changing the python symlink to point to python2 instead of python3 even though this works on some other distributions. It doesn't strive to offer choices like this, and never has."

"Arch is the opposite of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there aren't voting systems as there are in Debian. Technical decisions are made based on merit via consensus among the developers, not popularity."

"Arch has never been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc."

"It has always used significantly more disk space and a measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development perspective)."

"Memes about minimalism and user freedom != actual distribution policy / principles / history."

t. arch wiki admin
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

but what can you do that windows or os x cant do?

nothing. arch is literally useless.

kill yourself nigga

which wm?

What's wrong? Did an Arch user fuck your mom or something?

He couldn't install it, and when he tried to pose with Manjaro and/or Antergos on Sup Forums he got made fun of.

>he thinks putting an iso on a usb makes it bootable
laughinggirls.jpg

I pacman -Syu every wee for more than a year now.
You know... It just upgrades my packages.
That is all.
No other experiences.
Just upgrades.

Now tell me, how retarded are you that you managed to fail a system upgrade?

>arch user
>leaving their basement

bspwm

that's nice, but nobody itt claimed otherwise

Friend, try to use a Radeon card with the Radeon driver. It's really not a great time.

Every pacman -Syu kills something for me.

The last time it completely fucked up my bumblebee, before that KDE broke, even before that steam died.

are u fucking retarted or just a kid?
Install Arch is very simple, read docs faggot

>arch is complicated

...is it?

Thr last few times ive installed arch, I did all of the partitioning in gparted with a ubuntu live disk, then just rebooted into an arch installer, installed the system, users, hostname, network and locale then rebooted.

Is this really hard for you people?

Installing Arch is very easy OP, Sup Forums does it very often. Just use:
screenfetch -D arch

ITT: masochists.

UUI does basically all of it for you. Search up Universal USB Installer if you want your hand to be held through the whole thing.

Also Porteus does a nice job of being a lightweight small distro that still runs fairly well as a browserbox.

>implying people actually use arch

holy shit thanks man

This, Arch is a simple distribution for simple people.
No need to make it hard.

And here we have the difference between enterprise-quality and bleeding edge bullshit.
Ubuntu:
>same experience for eveyrone
>things almost never break and if they do there is generally a simple and fast solution
Arch:
>everyone has a different experience
>things frequently break for many people and in many cases you're left to obscure forums full of children for support
:^)

foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/03/trump-softens-h1b-visa-policy-during-gop-debate.html

MAKE MICROSOFT POOPY AGAIN

It's not! Use this:
arch-anywhere.org/

arch install is stupidly simple. prepare partitions, mount your future root partition into /mnt, enter the command to chroot, enter the command to install the things, do the stuff related to your location like timezone and locales, set root password, reboot.
Apart from the mount and chroot command, any installer that misses out on doing any of these things should be considered broken.

>ubuntu
>enterprise quality
this better be a joke

All that wasted space. This is fucking stupid.

arch users in a nutshell right there

genuine question: can you do gpu passthrough to a vm on OS X?

The single best thing about Arch is the wiki. I have had very few problems with Arch that weren't solved by carefully reading the relevant wiki pages. I'm not familiar with many other distros, so maybe this is typical, but fuck I love the Arch wiki

>>everyone has a different experience
>>things frequently break for many people and in many cases you're left to obscure forums full of children for support
In all fairness, these usually happen because retards ignore the explicit warnings given in the Arch Wiki.I'm guilty of it myself. Pretty much anything I've had problems with had a warning advising against it. Yaourt and Infinality were two that stand out the most.

gentoo is better. arch is a binary distro that still has many dependencies in that arent really needed but are installed anyway

I'd say because most people don't care.. Don't you ask yourself about this with Apple products as well? Pop Music?

Pretty sure you've been able to install any distro from any other distro's installer for years. People always seem to forget this.

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

are you enjoying your spyware, user?

install NixOS

Just use Antergos. Literally an arch installer

Name one reason why any sane person should install gentoo