idk im seeing conflicting shit all over the board

I mean what do you need a new cpu for to be exact

Gaming.

it doesnt fucking matter unless you want more than 120FPS

all of those chips will push 100 frames easy. just get a ryzen 1700

no don't

read lots of reviews but the one I will keep copy pasting is this:

hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review/6

irst and foremost, for most HardOCP readers, you are going to find that Ryzen simply has a huge clock deficit to overcome compared to Intel. If you are looking to build a system for desktop gaming alone, there is simply no way to suggest that Ryzen is your CPU as the Intel 7600K and 7700K still hold a great advantage especially if you are overclocking.

for any other application it's probably worth considering.

The R7 1800X is nice and all but how's the 1100 performance on pure single thread?

In general the results are pretty consistently clear. Ryzen is a huge step up from whatever shit AMD had previously. It's about on par with Intel's 8 core i7s and it has lower power usage (which isn't really being brought up strangely enough). Basically Ryzen is an 8 core i7 with lower power usage and for half or a third of the price. A lot of the shitters on here are comparing it to chips that have half the cores and fewer features, using less than ideal workloads but even then it still does admirably.

4 core chips are the new dual core chips

youtube.com/watch?v=sciuiEcrnzg&feature=youtu.be

see 24:28

yeah I know 1700 @ 65W was like watt???

Pretty much this.

Ryzen is objectively better than ANY 8 core intel has right now. Blows them all out of the water.

For muh gaymen? Yeah the intel 7700k is like 15% faster.

But you have to remember: all of these chips are pushing 60 frames all fucking day. Ryzen is still pushing 100 frames easy. It's the difference between 120 and 100 frames, doesn't matter for gaymen unless you have a 144hz monitor

This isn't like bulldozer when it couldn't even do 60fps. Ryzen is up there and is honestly an amazing chip, the 1700 is what I'd get

Depends. Are you going to install Gentoo?

don't even consider it until all the reviewers have retested with updated firmware. if it still sucks then avoid altogether unless you're poor and desperately want one of those cheap 4 cores.

Definitely not for gaming

100fps vs 112fps.

Does that even matter for most people who's monitors refresh at 60hz?

But why would you buy the worse thing?

Because the ryzen is better at absolutely everything else.

I have a 60hz monitor. If the difference between the ryzen and intel, is 120fps vs 129fps, and the ryzen is better at everything else, why get the intel??

the 1700 even comes with a hyper 212 tier cooler for free and is soldered so I don't have to fucking delid it.

Because it's not the worst thing. It's almost on par with Intel at older gaming, certainly above the 60fps threshold at 1080p, and at 4k it's often faster.

As for heavy-duty workstation, programming, scientific computing, video editing, streaming, etc. Ryzen is the clear winner. And we're not talking about the difference of a few milliseconds faster per frame like we are with games, but dozens of seconds faster.

See

Pretty much this

in 2012, when people said bulldozer was "bad for gaming" it was true. We are talking sub 60 frames at 1080p vs 60+ frames on the intel

now...people say zen is "bad for gaming," but look at the chart yourself. 1800x is pushing 105 frames on average, compared to 112 frames on the 7700k.

really now? when the ryzens are cheaper and faster in everything else? Even if i had a monitor that could push 100+ frames i'd STILL get the fucking ryzen. and then there's the fact that ryzen is faster in 2k and 4k.

>hyper 212 tier cooler
false.
youtu.be/D9lCASJ17ps

Wait for Ryzen-2

That's the old wraith, cooling an 8350. A 95W chip.

ryzen 1700 has new wraith and is only 65W

youtu.be/071DobU9vh0?t=1m28s
Except that it doesn't have copper heatpipes, the same number of fins or even the same mass as a 212.

if you're a power user yes if not wait until Q2 and see if the market changes

wait for bios updates and new benchmark posts for now

seems to have smt + memory issues atm, once it's performing as expected check benchmark results and decide then

i myself cancelled my 1800x order

I mean as disappointing as the 1800x is, the 1700 is really impressive performance wise.

If you want to pay twice what an equivalent performing Intel chip sells for yes.

1700 - yes
1700x - maybe if you like to oc
1800x - no.

>65 watts
Ur about 155 watts off.

OP here. Upon consideration I'm gonna fuck off from some AMD for a while. Intel here I come!

That's total system power and it doesn't even list the 1700, moron.

The 112fps Intel processor costs $340

The 100fps Ryzen processor costs $500

The choice is pretty fucking easy

lol

Ryzen is worth it for anyone that does 3d rendering, compiling, complex simulations and other things that scale across cores.

You still get passable game performance with decent multithread performance. If I buy something like a 12 core 2.4ghz xeon it's single threaded performance hurts too much and you have to buy separate computers for each task.