Just finished installing Windows 10 and all the other programs

AMD Ryzen R 1700 with stock RGB cooler
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
8GB DDR4 Crucial 2400MHz memory

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/QRMy9W
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why did you buy a new processor ?

I had an AMD FX-6200 before. It was shit.

But why would you replace it ? it's a good CPU for gaming.

That's R5? how do I set up HDDs that way?
Also tell us about stock cooler and OC.

R7 1700 and the stock cooler uses the RGB motherboard header with 4 pins. Default color is pink apparently but I haven't tried to change it yet. It is also quiet. I'll probably continue to use this instead of my aftermarket coolers (currently waiting on mounting kit bracket in the mail)

Haven't overclocked and probably never will, sorry

As of the hard drives, they are laying on a mousemat to absorb vibrations and that works incredibly well. The Fractal Design hard drive cage system were never good at stopping them

no it isnt

um, yes it is ?

How they temp with that default cooler

Vishera might be alright. Like the 8350. But the 6200 is shit.

Dude are you high

I have an FX-8330. It's functionally equivalent to cement. It can crush an Intel hardcore at encoding and that's about it, because it's either worse for the equivalent task to a Haswell i5 or just plain bottlenecks

Are you enjoying Ryzen?
What do you use your pc for? Other than gaming obviously.

Comfy lights my lad

no, it isnt.

excuse me... uhh but yea it is.

If you like playing gta 5 at 720p and csgo sure, yes, it's amazing.

>8GB
how can anyone be this stupid in 2017?
on top of that being a ridiculous low amount of ram, you do know that ryzen has issues with 4 dimms right? If you decide to upgrade later you'll have to get 2 8gb dimms.

>he thinks turning the resolution down helps with a CPU bottleneck

Back to Sup Forums, friend.

why would I ever touch that cesspool?

Pretty sure hes implying user is a poorfag for thinking a fx 6200 is good.

Did you have to change anything in the bios before installing your windows?

Mine looks shit inside. My cable management is awful as I need that many fecking wires to run my 2x1080s. The kraken x42 makes it look pretty though

How are the temps/noise with the cooler ?

>8GB
>ridiculous

Maybe for a gamer. Shit like After Effects eats ram.

>I had an AMD FX-6200
>it's a good CPU for gaming.

Thanks for the chortle, user

Make sure you set your Windows power profile to high performance mode, XFR won't work otherwise.

How is it running?

I heard that people with Asus boards were having problems and that was much of the cause of bad results.

I'm thinking of getting a 1700 myself. ($330 with a $30 cooler included seems like a good deal) but I'm waiting for B350 tests, motherboard roundups, and to see if Windows and some games get patched.

>AMD R7
>DDR4 2400MHz
>that tiny GPU

>they are laying on a mousemat to absorb vibrations and that works incredibly well. The Fractal Design hard drive cage system were never good at stopping them
huh, I got a bit of rubber material around, gotta think about doing that, would increase airflow if I remove lowest drive cage, thanks
I wonder if ssd back brackets any good

on the after thought, how is the temps of those HDDs?

if you're asking about mine (OP), they are virtually unchanged either way. Around 30-32C for both of the hard drives in the front and the SSD on the back of the motherboard

I think its stable, I have only run Cinebench and Unigine Valley benchmarks a couple of times and there have been no bluescreens as of yet. Very pleased with the upgraded performance of everyday tasks aswell, haven't tried any gaymes yet though (and i only play like 2 games per year anyway).

Not sure if CPUID HWmonitor are reporting correct results but it says 42C in idle/browsing 4chin (800RPM and very quiet). After 5 minutes of Prime95 it says 54C (1400RPM and still quiet). As a side note, it does get pretty hot in BIOS where presumably all power saving functions are turned off, high 50 to low 60C in BIOS after a couple of minutes. But this happens to all processors I think? Atleast my FX-6200 acted the same way.

Anyway, it sure as hell beats the FX series jet engine coolers

see above quoted person, it's very quiet actually.

I'm enjoying Ryzen, yes. I play like 2 games per year but other than that it's mostly photo editing and some web development. Many everyday tasks are a lot quicker now compared to my AMD FX-6200 CPU.

nice build mate.

I'm waiting for my package to arrive.... the thing that sucks is that the wraith max isn't shipped with none of the 1700x and 1800x which sucks too much... gotta relly on a ugly noctua.

I'm going to be upgrading for my i5(giving it to my brother) and getting the 1700 or 1700x the 1700 is already more performance than my i5 so maybe the non X

Ryzen build aborted for me after the NDA broke, to small gains from the 5820k, going for the 1080ti instead!

good job user, like others said, let us know some temps with that wraith cooler.

That's fair, I'd probably do the same with your build. Though, if you sell those 980tis after upgrading, you'd have more than enough to get ryzen cpu + mobo.

>upgrading gpu every generation
I guess I'm just too poor to understand this

Hey OP, how are temps with that stock cooler under load?

For me this time is mostly to get away from the issues that still persist with sli.

Already sold one of the 980ti:s and saw a boost in some games after getting rid of that one card. When it works it is nice and all, but if you can get close with one card it is a no-brainer to go single card!

muh leds

That's a reasonable choice.

I'm on a 2500k myself, though, and before that I had AMD CPUs. So I'm excited for Ryzen and just waiting to see if Windows and game updates improve things. On the software side, its performance looks great for me.

I hate how spotty the light is. You need something to diffuse it.

Unless you just have shit taste and don't care.

read my post here but just for you, I decided to run Prime95 for triple the time, 15 minutes. And yeah, the temperatures definitely climbed

5min: 54C
10min: 58C
15min:65C

fan was still kinda quiet at 1800RPM (65C), it totally gets drowned out by the other components, especially the mechanical hard drives. But do keep in mind that this is only a 65W TDP processor so that's probably why it stays fairly quiet

I'm still waiting for the mounting kit bracket of my aftermarket cooler but maybe I probably won't change anytime soon since my real life usage doesn't generate those temperatures, plus the RGB lighting is very neat

It looks better with the side panel because the windows in tinted.

not him, but fuck me that's sexy

My side panel isn't tinted but I'm gonna try to achieve the same effects by lowering the brightness of my lighting strips

return on investment on a newer CPU is pretty low if you already have Sandy bridge.

Ryzen is better than than 2500k even in single core. lol.

And it uses like 1/4th the power... Ryzen will pay for itself in energy savings if I have it for 6 years like I had my 2500k.

try working with photoshop, ilustrator, after effects, media encoder, chrome all open at the same time with 8GB.
I don't know about games tho, u may be right.

You would save at most 10 dollars a year on power

Ryzen pre-order cancelled after NDA was lifted, gives me more money to watercool the 1080ti

Fucking retards pulling numbers out of their ass on Sup Forums like usual.

The i5-2500k uses 24watts at idle. The 1700 uses 5-7 watts.
That's $21 a year JUST in savings from idle.
So in reality it's about $50 a year, just like I said. That's $300 over 6 years.

Where the fuck do you live that power is that expensive?

It costs around 5 bucks to run a 24 watt bulb every day for a year

20w x 6 hrs = 120 watt hours.
for a month, that's 120 x 30 = 3600 watt hours, or 3.6 kW-hrs.

at 10¢ per kW-hr, that's 36¢ per month.

Do you live in North Korea?

>Ryzen is better than than 2500k even in single core. lol.
According to my testing with winny7 and games that use single or at max two threads, 1700x@stock vs 2500k@stock, no it isn't.
SHOC, CoP, Lost alpha, Armed Assault and ARMA2, 1700x loses on every case and that is downright disgusting.
And let's see: 2500k clocks to 4.5GHz without a problem, at a reasonable vcore of 1.3, 1700x strugles to hit 4.0GHz with a decent vcore.

But sure, it beats the living shit out of 2500k @ multiple make operations on linux (emerge -e @world takes third of the time on 1700x compared to 2500k).

Mobo is Asus Prime X370-PRO by the way, latest uefi.

Fuck this shit. AMD is history and that's that.

Loses on every resolution tested from 1024x768 to 1600x1200, 1920x1200 to 2560x1600 and finally 3840x2160.

By the way: 2500k@stock, at ratio 16 and vcore being at 0.90V, sucks 15watts, and 62watts when ratio is 33 and vcore at 1.1V.
There is some problem with 1700x going to lowest ratio and thus can't give real idle wattage, but at stock clock, vcore at 1.2V, it sucks over 105watts, so going over the TDP.

And yet another fun fact: same Nvidia drivers (gtx980), Winny Server 2008 (non-R2, Vista equil.), frames a 10% higher than on winnyseven.
Have not and will not test with Server 2012 R2 or 10.

nice pasta

It's 12 cents a kw/h. That's the national average in America, you dumb fuck. You just suck at math.

Nice math, retard.

20 watts per hour = 50 hours per kwh.
That means every 50 hours, it costs 50 cents.

There are 50 hours 175.2 times in a year. That's $21.
You fucking moron. How did you fail such basic math? Even if it was 10 cents per kwh, that's $17.53

You're also retarded. I hope this a case of same poster and there is not 3 of you that are all equally fucking stupid on this board.

>You're all just stupid I'm the smart one
lmao

calm down kiddo

>that cpu cost as much as my g4560 build
Lmao, muh cores

any actual numbers?

>arma2
wew, but i'll take your word for it if you remember actual numbers

>correct math vs incorrect math
>lmao the incorrect math must be the smart ones

>amd edition
/thread

> raisin
> 8 gigs of ram
> pink led cpu cooler
> mechanical hard disks laid on a mousepad on the floor of the case

wew

>photo editing
>webdev
>ricin

holy shit you cant make this stuff up

>ARMA2
You read the reply, right? Games that use single or or at max two threads (and games that I actually play).

Worst case scenario for cpu: 1024x768, stock clocks on both:
SHOC:
-2500k: 95fps avg, 63 min, over 800 max (looking at ceiling with low amount of shaders, non-vsync'd main menu)
-1700x: 93fps avg, 55 min, same max
--Avg and min frames are obviously cpu bottleneck

Call of Pripyat:
-2500k: 89fps avg, 55 min, same max as shoc
-1700x: 80fps avg, 52 min, same max

Lost alpha:
-2500K: 68fps avg, 38 min, same max (but not in main menu, which is vsynced in dx10 mode)
-1700x: 67fps avg, 35 min, same max

Armed Assault:
-2500k: 105fps avg, 34 min, over 300 max (no option for vsync, so if not forcibly disabling it, max being refresh rate)
-1700x: 92fps avg, 36 min (inte_rasting), same max

ARMA2
-2500k: 90fps avg, 39 min, over 300 max (vsync disabled, game version 1.62)
-1700x: 88fps avg, 39 min (hmm), same max

These are on winny 7, sp1, same hotfixes on both systems (up to October 2016 or so: don't worry, no WAN connection on these boxes).
Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 2500k@stock (3.3GHz, 'turbo' disabled), 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport CL9 1600 and
Asus Prime X370-PRO, 1700x@stock (3.4GHz, turbo disabled), 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V CL16 3200.
Both use WD10EZEX HDD's of same vintage (produced same month, exact same partitioning).

Like I wrote, Server 2008 gives couple more frames, but nothing significant.

And I forgot: Asus 980 STRIX on both, same novidya driver (35*some.*thing), MS AHCI driver and whatnot.
And even more so: SMT disabled on 1700x! With SMT enabled, only one frame less on 1700x on average.

But like many test show: multiple make operations, like kernel compiling on linux is very good.

How loud is the stock cooler?

Have you tried to tighten up the timings on the 1700x memory?

And just out of curiosity have you tried affinity-locking to try and keep them within a single CCX?

And I knew this would happen, that on some edge cases there is even regression to PD/Vishera FX-8350.

Just wait for the zenver2, it MIGHT be a good chip.
Until then, if gaming, go for used Sandy Bridge, SB-E or Ivy-E.

Sorry, I haven't and I didn't. Judging from other testers, timings don't increase frames at all, but higher frequency does (already ran at 3200).

Quite frankly I lost interest to this garbage already after 48h and luckily someone is taking this system out of my hands.
If some future uefi update or microcode upgrade for the cpu comes around and brings about significant performance increase, I might buy Zen chip again.

Bruh, nice!

That stock cooler is pretty sexy

>20 watts per hour = 50 hours per kwh.
>That means every 50 hours, it costs 50 cents.

I had to laugh at how densely the errors are packed in this one.

Actually, it's kind of interesting to puzzle out:

"watts per hour" -- that's a unit that measures how fast power consumption increases over time. It would be useful if your computer's power draw keeps increasing the longer you leave it on -- for example, "my computer starts out drawing 200W when I first power it on, but it then increases its power draw at the rate of 20 watts per hour until it finally bursts into flames".

"hours per kwh" -- cancelling the hours in the numerator and denominator, we are left with the unit kW^(-1) -- in other words, reciprocal power. That's a tough one to find a useful example for, but I'll give it a try. It might be useful if you're measuring power efficiency -- where larger values correspond to more efficient use of power (i.e. lower power). For example: "My old computer had a power efficiency of 0.001 kW^(-1), but I got a new computer that has a higher power efficiency of 0.002 kW^(-1)."

Of course, setting the two units equal to each other (20 W/h = 50 h/(kW*h)) results in an error in dimensional analysis, so about the best you can do in that case is to define the boolean value of the expression to be either false or undefined. The undefined case isn't very interesting, so let's take it as false and see what happens. We now have a false statement that's used to imply a spending rate of 50 cents per 50 hours -- which is a technically true statement!!! That's because in symbolic logic, a false statement can be used to imply anything -- in other words, both F->F is true, and F->T is true. (Google for "implication truth table".) Hence, if you start with statement such as (20 W/h = 50 h/(kW*h)) which is always false, you can use it to imply any other statement of your choice. So that massive clusterfuck of errors actually yields a true implication in the end!

lmao?
You wrote so much and are so insulting just to say "you're right".

I simply tried to put it in terms that those idiots could understand, since they gave really fucked up math like the guy that thinks there's only 6 hours in a day.

I bet you're one of those 3 idiots that said I was wrong only to get BTFO, and your unfounded ego kept you from saying "woops I miscalculated, you're right. I should have googled 'electricity bill calculator' to check against my bad math before posting. Sorry!".

But you still had to admit you're wrong somehow, even if it's in a way that makes you look like a massive faggot.

> mechanical hard disks laid on a mousepad on the floor of the case
why is that bad if you can't see them?

Holyshit these are the most damning results I've seen. I'm sitting here w/ a 3930k I bought in 2012 feeling like Neo after I canceled my 1800x preorder.

I bet the results for the 3930k look far worse in many games.

>far worse in many games.
Which games? All the benchmarks I've seen it barely strike above a 2600k in some games.

> I've seen it (1800x) barely strike above a 2600k in some games.

Thoughts?

>RGB cooler

fucking kill yourself

It is the stock cooler you marxist kike.

It was a sandy i3 and a 6850 until a month ago.

added a 3550, 16gb ram and a 390x.

sold the cpu ram and gpu for $100
total is under $400 now.

You didn't blow anyone out
Your math is completely wrong, you would save at most each year even if you ran the 24 watts 24/7 around 5-9 dollars

Thoughts?

How much should I sell my rig for? I have to get a laptop because I'm going to be traveling a lot for the next year.

Nice build. I love it.

since when do they make the define s nano in white?

I have kinda similar lighting. It's better than blaringly bright LEDs, the subtlety is better to showcase hardware

I'd say ~$1K.

This is the way to go with case lighting. Obnoxious christmas lights cannot compete.
Looks great, what case is that?

plenty fast for 1080p 60Hz

>AMD edition

intel & shillvide Sup Forumsoy here, can I have fun with you guys?