Uptime thread

is it possible for windows machines to have more than 5 day uptime?

Yes. Why wouldn't they?

because of forced restarted at night

I've never had that happen.

Only happens when updates are available and you can delay it.

no, it begins to get sluggish after 72hrs (3 days).

the NT kernel was designed as a general purpose computer system in 1993 for mass market. at the time, it was common practice to shut your computer off at night.

>b-b-but unix is even older!
unix was designed from the ground up as a multi user time sharing system. as such, it was meant to be always on so the architecture is that much stronger as it was built with that ideal from the ground up.

uptime
13:06 up 17 days, 19:58, 2 users, load averages: 1.73 1.64 1.47

My MacBook is better than yours.
>no, it begins to get sluggish after 72hrs (3 days).
I've never had this problem.

I can never hit more than a few days of uptime with muh Macbook, it always gets buggered a few days in. Weird graphical glitches, or a freeze or something. I think it's because I constantly plug/unplug two monitors and the power cable throughout the day—they seem to have a hard time with this. No issues if I don't do that.

if you run it on supported hardware and dont do anything that triggers a windows bug. i have seen win7 computers with over 100 day uptime

USER=user HOSTNAME=Sup Forums.org screenfetch -N | xclip

produces

-`
.o+` user@Sup Forums.org
`ooo/ OS: Arch Linux
`+oooo: Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.9.9-1-ARCH
`+oooooo: Uptime: 11d 19h 45m
-+oooooo+: Packages: 970
`/:-:++oooo+: Shell: bash 4.4.12
`/++++/+++++++: Resolution: 1920x1080
`/++++++++++++++: WM: i3
`/+++ooooooooooooo/` CPU: Intel Core i7-4600U CPU @ 3.3GHz
./ooosssso++osssssso+` RAM: 3679MiB / 15477MiB
.oossssso-````/ossssss+`
-osssssso. :ssssssso.
:osssssss/ osssso+++.
/ossssssss/ +ssssooo/-
`/ossssso+/:- -:/+osssso+-
`+sso+:-` `.-/+oso:
`++:. `-/+/
.` `/

11:54:20 up 19 days, 11:55, 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.02, 0.01
Windows Server 2008 R2

Yeah it's pretty easy. 6 days ago.. or more like 7 days ago I changed my SATA connections around which is why I had to shut down.

shit son, I have a 3 week reminder that pops up to shut down my pc. isn't running them that long bad?

No it doesn't
root@god ~ # USER=user HOSTNAME=Sup Forums.org screenfetch -N | xclip
bash: xclip: command not found

pacman -Syu xclip

NAME
xclip - command line interface to X selections (clipboard)

SYNOPSIS
xclip [OPTION] [FILE]...

DESCRIPTION
Reads from standard in, or from one or more files, and makes the data
available as an X selection for pasting into X applications. Prints cur‐
rent X selection to standard out.

It didn't update my clipboard contents.

>It didn't update my clipboard contents
Maybe you have two clipboards.

Solid as a rock
Just like my cock

-`
.o+` user@Sup Forums.org
`ooo/ OS: Arch Linux
`+oooo: Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.9.11-1-ARCH
`+oooooo: Uptime: 8h 30m
-+oooooo+: Packages: 960
`/:-:++oooo+: Shell: bash 4.4.12
`/++++/+++++++: Resolution: 1280x1024
`/++++++++++++++: DE: KDE5
`/+++ooooooooooooo/` WM: KWin
./ooosssso++osssssso+` GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
.oossssso-````/ossssss+` Icon Theme: breeze
-osssssso. :ssssssso. Font: Noto Sans Regular
:osssssss/ osssso+++. CPU: AMD FX-6350 Six-Core @ 3.9GHz
/ossssssss/ +ssssooo/- GPU: Gallium 0.4 on NVE7
`/ossssso+/:- -:/+osssso+- RAM: 2175MiB / 7970MiB
`+sso+:-` `.-/+oso:
`++:. `-/+/
.` `/

>having to go to clipboard manager to """select""" clipboard number instead of just copying from the terminal
No thanks

I only reboot for driver updates.

I do that, no issues.

What is middle click?

The same content as CTRL+V, apparently. But thanks, I didn't know middle-click was a copy-paste function!

worst is when I turn off power to the power strip which powers both monitors and a power cable, disconnecting all 3 simultaneously causes a crash most of the time

>middle-click was a copy-paste function
It's the original paste function. And selecting text is the way to copy. ctl-c ctl-v is retarded when used to select middle-click

CTRL+C/V in terminal doesn't copy-paste, I think you mean CTRL+SHIFT+C/V. But usually when I'm copy-pasting something both of my hands are on the keyboard, so it's easier than moving my hand over to my mouse. Gotta save those calories, bro.

>CTRL+C/V in terminal doesn't copy-paste,
Of course. Forget ctl-c and ctl-v. The true way is select and middle click.

But when I do that it automatically copy-pastes into my terminal.

I remember the days of using a prescott with windows xp. shit was so slow to boot, I always used standby mode. got years of uptime eventually.

That's pretty bizarre behavior. The worst that happens on my 10.9 Mavericks system is the thing wakes up from sleep with just a cursor on the screen.

Only when you middle-click?

Yes, shit for brains. Kill yourself, you fucking retard.

>select text in terminal
>middle click
>copies contents to clipboard and pastes into terminal

Alternatively
>select text in terminal
>CTRL+SHIFT+C
>only copies text

24 days, 20 hours, 56 minutes

this is my laptop, 50+ days at desktop

to be sure
you have two clipboards?

one with select middle click
one with ctl-c ctl-v

When you middle click it synchronize the clipboards?

I was nearly at 100 days, then I accidentally knocked the power cable out while cleaning :(

Apparently I have 2 clipboards, which I didn't know. Middle clicking selected text copies to the "middle click clipboard" only and automatically pastes. It doesn't copy to the "ctrl-v" clipboard though

OH I get it.
You select text somewhere in any of your application (select is copy). You go somewhere else, and you middle click. The selected of the first application will be pasted (middle click is paste). Is it more clear?

I mean, yeah, but it also pastes into the current application immediately after copying it when I middle-click. It doesn't do that when I use ctrl-c ctrl-v

You say that when you middle click it pastes the text?

It copies the selected text then pastes. If no text is selected it just pastes.

CTRL-C CTRL-V is superior.

No middle don't copy the selected text it paste the clipboard in current application.

The copy happen when you select text.

ctl-c = select
ctl-v = middle click

If you try to select text in the target application to replace you will fail because it's another copy operation.

Select is not copy. Select is """highlight""". Do you even have a DE bro?

>Select is not copy
I did that for years. Please enlighten me because you're just saying that I didn't do what I did for years. Are you high user?

Select selects the text you wish to copy. It highlights it, but it doesn't copy it. The copying comes when you use ctrl-v

I mean ctrl-c but you get the idea

>Select selects the text you wish to copy. It highlights it, but it doesn't copy it
It does on all the X11 I used for years. I'm sorry you're using a non standard X11.

Perhaps your English is broken. When you click LMB and drag it across a text field it "selects" or "highlights" text. It does not copy the text until you middle-click or ctrl-c.

Please do a test.

Select text.
Click somewhere else with left click so nothing is selected.
Middle click.

What happen?

>That's pretty bizarre behavior. The worst that happens on my 10.9 Mavericks system is the thing wakes up from sleep with just a cursor on the screen.
I assume it's a bug, kind of an edge case sort of thing

Holy shit. I thought you were just trolling. It does in fact copy it upon selection. Thank you, user. Sorry for my retardation.

>retardation
It started to irritated me a lot.

(You)

Doesn't work... just gonna uninstall Linux this sux.

uh here's my server uptime image. it's been up longer than this but I had to shutdown while back due to replacing a new cable modem and updates to the server itself.

bow before me fgts

S-sorry I made another thread