What does Sup Forums think of pfSense?

What does Sup Forums think of pfSense?

it's an excellent router operating system, but I'm not clear on how it's any better than simply buying a commercial router for home use
you have to spend way more than the price of even a very high end home router for this to be worthwhile
maybe if you're running it in your small business or something, sure

NICE FONT RENDERING FAGGOT

It's literally taken from google image search.

Price? Kek, I got a desktop computer from Craigslist for $20 and use it as a pfsense router. It handles thousands of simultaneous torrents at once, something that brought my $150 d link router to its knees.

Openwrt or ipfire is currently a better platform. FreeBSD networking stack fell behind Linux the past year or two. There's a group of people working on improving FreeBSD performance, but I haven't been keeping tabs on it, and their changes won't land in pfsense for at least another year.

Meanwhile, pfsense lacks fq_codel and cake, which is actually a big deal for a home router. Missing fq_codel is a dealbreaker if you see bufferbloat.

It's also fairly insecure. No hardening. Everything more or less runs as root.

With all that being said... I use pfsense at two separate locations. It's alright. But it's not the best anymore. Hopefully, it will be the best again sometime soon.

pfSense does a good job, but the QoS options are terrible. None of the built in shapers or CoDel AQM are effective enough when faced with concurrent downloaders like Steam and the Star Citizen Launcher.

OpenWRT + Cake is knob-free and I've had little grief except for a handful of IPv6 issues. Many of the commercial routers use similar AQM.

It's even worse for device that have accelerated paths for routing (eg EdgeRouter) where your QoS options are still limited.

I had hopes for netmap-fwd but it looks like that project is dead.

Nice retardpost, shit for brains.

free

:)

I use MikroTik

Is openWRT the only place to get cake currently? I installed dd-wrt on my ASUS RT-AC68U recently to fix my horrible bufferbloat problem, and it did a great job with fq_codel, but I heard cake is even better.

meow?

pfSense is good if you install it on top of security onion

>router
>no shadowsocks
>no tor
>no i2p
To the trash.

>Openwrt or ipfire
Could you explain the difference between the two in the most dumbass-friendly way?

I assume that your D-Link router also didn't use 200Wh. But to each their own I guess.

Same here, best 70€ ever spent. I use the GUI, which is slightly confusing, but I could set up anything I wanted without having to use workarounds and stuff, like I had to on DD-WRT.

>GPL violating assholes

Lrn about GPL before speak.

the only reason why mikrotik doesn't have fsf lawyers on their asses is the fact that they're based in the 3rd world (the shittier part of Soviet Union) where the concept of law is foreign

Mikrotik doesn't have easy to install adblock package though.

Ok smart guy explain where is GPL violations?

OPNSense has hardened release I believe.
Is HardenedBSD instead of FreeBSD

It's not Linux, but BSD, which has a proper network stack.

Uses FreeBSD and PF, which is good.

Doesn't use OpenBSD, which has the better PF. That's bad.

Shit PHP web interface. There's been promises of replacing it with a Python based interface, but no activity in that direction.

OPNSense is a fork of it. It's not clear whether it's better or worse.

In a corporate environment, pfSense is the easier sell, due to availability of made-for-pfSense hardware and paid support.

It probably uses less because a more powerful cpu with less load uses less wattage.

Do any of the custom home firmwares have the Cake package in them yet? Aside from OpenWRT?

For $20, it was probably Pentium 4. That's no Celeron T.

I need a new router, but idk if I should build myself out of the old pc I have or just get something like a mikrotik

Finally. I would prefer OpenBSD, but this sounds good.

It's a meme firewall for a meme OS. Prove me wrong.
Protip: You can't.

Havent used pfsense in years. Finally set everything up and I really like 2.3.3

you can probably get those small embedded MIPS/x86 machines

those probably don't use that much power

Currently got an i7 740qm on an itx box that has dual Intel nics that I'm considering turning into a pfsense box. Will it be enough? Too much? Too little? Does it matter that the cpu doesn't have aes ni? Will the hyperthreading have any effect on pfsense?

My company uses OpenWRT for all of its hardware. We're a network installation company.