What makes retro technology look so comfy?

What makes retro technology look so comfy?
Why does no modern company try to copy this design?

>Why does no modern company try to copy this design?
It's expensive.
Larger enclosures, more parts, thicker walls, structural rigidity, ability to survive a drop it's all the corners they cut to enhance productivity, profit margins and also part of planned obsolescence - dropped it go buy a new.

>the matrix was right about the 90's being the peak of humanity
>it's only going to continue to get worse

But that's a render

It reminds me of my favorite old movies.

That IBM control panel from 2001 was pretty dope desu.

Makes it harder for the Frakking Toasters to hack you as well.

One of the reasons its comfy is I think to do with single function devices/interfaces. They work better dramatically, which makes me wonder at the implicit appeal of them now everyone is over a single black slab doing everything. I wonder if they will make more a comeback in time?

>Why does no modern company try to copy this design
>one thing breaks, gotta open everything

>Any technology which isn't a desktop computer

based polander
What does he do?

is this fallout?

Holy shit, for a second I thought it's real, mod name?

Is this the new /retro/ thread?

>What makes retro technology look so comfy?

The nostalgia of your childhood fantasies.

The world is getting better. It's the US that's getting worse because fat lazy Americans can't compete anymore.

I'm 23 and never had such technology... but I still think it's comfy

I don't know, nostalgia?

bump

Listen to this faggot SJW shit talk America. It's people like you that have lowered our status in the world. Prepare for the next 8 years of getting BTFO.

Did you call him a SJW just because he talks truth about America?

Isn't it the opposite, SJWs being Americans who think they are better off then they actually are?

We don't have that shit here.

Always makes me laugh when europoors try to shit talk America as though we're not still in charge of the entire fucking planet.

Pretty edgy, fampai. Do you realize that about 60% of the users here are not from the US?

I feel sorry for you being deluded.

Also, why do you always first have to think about Europe when someone talks about your shit like it actually is? Is it some kind of inner butthurt?

Is that ableton?

Because Europe is second best, all other countries aren't even with taking about.

[screeches geometrically]

Welp

>comparing countries and continents and not even protecting them with accurate information

I don't even fucking care, but I will just add to this, that even places like Canada have better quality of life and education, medical support, than USA has, not to even mention all those dozens of countries between the US and the first place in any scale except for obesity.

you're not even in charge of the biggest country on the planet, Russia

Looks like Fruity Loops

toprekt

kek, they are not even in charge of their own country, the USA

Clearly you've never been in a CIC. Using a CRT radar from the 60s with isn't comfy. It's terrible. Something that is optimized to work once set one fire and hit with a missile isn't optimized for user experience

It's just generally more serious. It's designed seriously, it's marketed seriously, and it's taken seriously. The aura it gives off is that of a practical, powerful machine, rather than that of some vapid 20-something's "quirky" (but not too much!) lifestyle device. It's imposing, monolithic, and professional. It's something that makes you really admire the incredible achievements and years of engineering that went into each and every part of it.

There's still some nice shit like that out there today, but there's just not as many nice staged pictures of it in action or otherwise bringing out its best side.

>I wonder if they will make more a comeback in time?
Actually I think that one black slab doing everything is bad on critical systems. The damn thing goes down and it takes with it a lot of stuff. In contrast if you have single purpose modular design you have a problem with a specific system it gives you the chance to keep going and actually fix that one thing without fucking up the whole.
I fucking love BSG CIC. Also it was really cool how they managed to make the Pegasus modern without going full retard with touch screens and current boring tech.

this needs to be more like this

Canadian detected. No wonder you're so salty, you were almost born in the greatest nation but instead you were born in dudeweed cuckland

It's undoubtedly more annoying and uncomfortable to operate, but it looks nice in pictures.

The thing that always triggers my autism about these kinds of sets is not only just how much they seem to spam controls in random places where they don't seem immediately useful or ergonomic but also their shapes, for example with weirdly proportioned and cut up "custom" screens in areas perfectly capable of fitting a perfect square or rectangle.

>Canadian detected
kek, it's almost 3am in canada? you are so wrong and you are so deluded

thanks for the keks bro

This, it wasn't build or marketed to 15 year olds and housewifes back then like it is now

>this is how easy it is to troll europoors

The funny part is, I'm Canadian and even I know how poor Europeans are

>weirdly proportioned and cut up "custom" screens in areas perfectly capable of fitting a perfect square or rectangle.
there's really funny story about that, some prop master I think just cut the corners of some pages and even thought at first it looked cool they got old really fast when they realized they will have to keep doing that on a lot of other stuff just for aesthetics. Picture the CIC with standard screens, the whole "cut corners" thing was a "hey it looks cool" but overall they were spot on with the looks of retro-future aged tech. After all it was a 50 year old military vessel capable of faster than light travel.

why do threads that have nothing political in them need to get the attention of teenage americans trying to show off their level of intelligence?

Because they're proud of it

>europeans actually think they're better than us
u smug cunts

/thread

why do europoors who don't want to discuss politics in non political threads so badly still take the bait anyway???????????????

The reason why is because you don't use it, didn't use it, and won't use it, so you only see it as some cool item on looks alone and have absolutely no idea how shitty and slow it actually is. Bonus points if it's dead so you couldn't even turn it on if you tried, keeping the lie going.

>my particular time I happened to be a teenager in was the best and everyone else who says this about any other time is wrong
>everything new is shit because you gave up

Exactly how it works. Go use it to discover how shit it was. but you won't because that's what this is about

yup you can't use anything shiny to get work done this is why I'm starting a business of selling shitty beige panels you can suction cup on so you can increase your productivity

Because retro shit represents being a total failure not only in your past but in the present and then we started this meme where you think you are a success if you can just pretend to live in a past time where nobody will ever challenge you or bring it up so you can pretend you're some lost internet wizard when in fact this is more like the beginnings of an esoteric suicide note

My daily driver is a barely six month old "shiny" MacBook clone. And I actually think it looks nice in a similar vein, albeit more boring as it's pretty much just a big, featureless aluminum slab.

There's still a lot of good things out there from the last decade, it doesn't mean you can't also enjoy what we've achieved already. And fuck off with your beige meme, beige was shit.

You suck at this, Justin.

My sense in BSG specifically is that its an artistic choice. What is being implies is that its had numerous mismatched Mid Life Upgrades leaving it shabby but functional.

I think their paper products with corners cut off were a bigger crime.

>Why does no modern company try to copy this design?

Everyone wants to be comfy

No one wants to lift heavy ass comfs.

Contemporary technology fetishizes objectness and lightness - a seperateness from environment which pulls attention toward itself - seamless independent sphere of telometric control and insight

Retro technology fetishizes integration into the environment. - it performs more like furniture - heavy, rooted in place, becoming the space it lives in.

Is this real?

I think modern card have pretty comfy-techy interiors.

Fruity Loops is much uglier.

Forgot pic

fuck the touchscreens that cars seem to need to have now
a regular screen + knobs is all anyone ever needs

I have been working on a raspi-based car system for my miata (audio, OBD-2, maybe basic navigation), want it to look the part in a 1997 car, but still have decent features.
Sadly, haven't taken any pictures of it, but am working with a 128x64 monochrome LCD. Not quite convinced about its white on blue color scheme, might be too modern looking.

Is this from Alien: Isolation? Very similar aesthetic style.

systems can't afford NOT to do that. Think about how big computing becomes smaller. in big enterprise today, machines are created, setup, configured, and execute jobs like thread did 30 years ago. there's no reason those black slabs won't be doing the same thing in 20 years.

I don't know, ask the Xenomorph in the background.

Shit, my eyesight must be going, but I don't see a Xeno in there. Is that black smugde in the center right, right next to the monitor a Xeno?

Also, I just love how A:I looks and feels. It's gorgeous (and by extension, Alien has some gorgeous visuals). They did the Alien aesthetics so well in that one.

Blue/white LCDs were around, just not common. Obviously black-on-green was easier to come by, but since you're doing an obviously custom job, it can still fit the bill.

retro tech was comfy

my opinion is neutral colors and warm analog light from CRTs

2001's tech aesthetic was comfy as fuck, personally I try and base all my UI decisions around it just to make the world a bit more like it

Why is the lightning blue-ish? To keep them awake?

the rounded edges and matte textures

the thing I always loved about 2001 was that barring some retarded ideas such as computers growing in size rather miniaturizing it always seemed like a plausible timeline had events unfolded differently, even if the style was definitely grounded in its era

old and unoffensive. it's like the inanimate equivalent of neoteny. 20 years from now nostalgiafags are going to be talking about how comfy 2015 macbooks and XPSs are.