/bt/ - Book General

Instead of the usual graphics shilling on this board, post your god-tier Sup Forums books.

>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!g10DHCRA!bWLg1WgBdEZtIOIAwzNIBTUWOGK1nPS_9RAdtKNxPpk
www17.zippyshare.com/v/fVbd5W6C/file.html
web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf
github.com/sarabander/sicp-pdf
sarabander.github.io/sicp/
github.com/sarabander/sicp-epub/blob/master/sicp.epub?raw=true
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

programming books are a meme, one can only truly become proficient at any given language through solving problems and working on personal coding projects

This is what self-taught retards actually believe.

This is the only CS book worth buying

I've put off reading both of these for too long. Tell me which one I should read and I'll do it.

or you could read a book by the creator of the language learns how to solve problems the language was created to solve

what are you trying to do then go from their

Don't waste your time reading and just solve some coding challenges or set yourself a project to do and implement it - then evaluate and re-factor along the way as you learn more about the language. It's the natural way and far better than reading the 124th implementation of quick-sort in your 28th book.

One of very few serious and good "hacking books". Teaches principles of actually finding exploits instead of a script kiddy tutorial that teaches you how to download metasploit. Also useful for people who aren't that into security as it provides insight on how programs and work on lower levels.

I'm currently chomping through this one. That's one fat book but it's very good.

The bible. I have a hard time taking a programmer seriously if he doesn't know C. It's the biggest red flag.

Required reading for every serious programmer.

I want this book, for free.

Isn't it available on pdf yet?
My school library has lots of them, both the second and third editions, but still

But you can't even start programming without an initial resource, and many are better than others, the best ones tend to be actual books written by people who actually know what they're talking about rather than a million retarded Sup Forumsentoomen that all disagree with one another or some youtuber with no credentials or some tutorial hosted on a teenager's blog.

There's a shitty scan of the 3rd ed around

They're both garbage. K&R is an overly simplified intro to C for 70s FORTRAN programmers that barely scratches the surface of memory management or writing realistic applications in the language. It rides on fame and the inertia of people blindly recommending it to each other. The Art of Unix Programming is basically just 300 pages of ESR beating himself off over the KISS dogma and 90s FOSS "hacker culture" like usual while dropping mundane wikipedia level trivia about operating systems and common Unix utilities. It actually has barely anything to do with programming; if you really want that you can read W. Richard Stevens' books from the same publisher, though they'll probably make your eyes bleed.

mega.nz/#!g10DHCRA!bWLg1WgBdEZtIOIAwzNIBTUWOGK1nPS_9RAdtKNxPpk

The shitty scan

If you can't fully explain what you're looking for, how do you know what to google when you run into a problem during those "personal coding projects"? Sure, loops and conditional logic and classes and functions are things we all know and can ask questions about in any language, but if you've never had any exposure to, for example:
- pointers (because you only ever did scripting languages)
- threading (because this hasn't been a thing most programmers had to worry about)
- sql (because most devs forget that sql is a language in which you don't loop, set values in script or define any behavior yourself)
- the uncommonly discussed internals or unique features of a shit language you do use

You're going to run into problems because you won't even know how to express what you're looking for to Google.

A truly good programming book doesn't try and be a resource manual on a programming language. Instead, the book should focus on making the concepts in the language itself as clearly named and defined as possible, so that when you ask a question to Stack Overflow, or an actually experienced developer that you know IRL, you won't sound like a bumbling idiot and get an unrelated answer.

What do you recommend desu

programming books oriented around a language are only for syntax if you want to become a better programmer either learn through experience or read a book on algorithms; books on memory management are good as well

2nd edition has proper pdf though
www17.zippyshare.com/v/fVbd5W6C/file.html

Can anyone recommend some god tier C++ books?

web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf

>“I liken starting one’s computing career with Unix, say as an undergraduate, to being born in East Africa. It is intolerably hot, your body is covered with lice and flies, you are malnourished and you suffer from numerous curable diseases. But, as far as young East Africans can tell, this is simply the natural condition and they live within it. By the time they find out differently, it is too late. They already think that the writing of shell scripts is a natural act.” — Ken Pier, Xerox PARC

One of my favorites.

>being this contrarian that you wrote an entire book bashing UNIX

are ther some epic books on code design so i don't break my brain modifying anything when the project is over 10k sloc?

No such thing exists.
The topic is garbage, so the books are garbage.

The C++ Programming-Language
If you can already program and want something thorough.
A Tour of C++
Is cliff notes of the first book.

Programming Principles and Practice Using C++
For a learn to program book that uses C++.

All authored by Stroustrup.

This book has done only harm to my life.

github.com/sarabander/sicp-pdf
sarabander.github.io/sicp/
github.com/sarabander/sicp-epub/blob/master/sicp.epub?raw=true

Thanks, I'm the guy you replied to. Somehow I get the feeling that, unlike most of Sup Forums, you actually know what you're talking about.