Current state of Windows

>Current state of Windows

current state of NTFS*

>Current state of Linux

BTFO

I see no problems :^)

Cool, a blank slate! I can add anything I want!

congratulations, you can successfully use colons in filenames if you use linux.
good job.

You could, but you won't because you don't know how to fix it when your ``custom'' work starts to burn.

>filesystems aren't virtual

at least I'm ABLE to fix it

>t. mactoddler

worse, if you somehow manage to get a file with those characters in its name, windows won't let you touch it, even to rename it.

Literally bullshit. If you attempt to download such a file, Windows will just omit the illegal characters.

I have an external hard drive with some music files copied from a linux computer. Windows can't open or do anything on those files if they had unsupported characters.

linux is a kernel, not a filesystem

windows doesn't touch the files because linux is leprosy

linux is a kernel, not a computer

/thread

Windows is a filesystem, not a character.

>an OS can't access files on an unsupported filesystem

Really gets those neurons firing.

>Windows can't use an unsupported file system
Really activates your almonds

it can't force rename them in any way, shape or form either.
cant be done via cmd or powershell, or directly, the fs won't even touch it

you can do this just by mounting an NTFS windows drive and copying a file with colons or question marks into it. the files will show up in explorer but you won't be able to touch it. the underscore replacement is done by windows, not the file system.

>linux is leprosy
Windows is aids.

I once accidentally renamed a folder "res" on Windows and had to reinstall the OS to delete it.

Why?

>he doesnt know about \ or ""
obviously your too retarded to use GNU+Linux

[every desktop environment]

>what happens when you fuck up your xorg config after you try to rice your DE

What movie

the tv comedy show Silicon Valley. it's at the end of some episode
you should watch it

Thats not silicon valley i have seen the whole thing

do you not see the pied piper logo on the background screens? it's at the end of some episode so it's probably past the ending credits too

Oh

s03e09 btw

Basically Windows has always blown ass and as the poo coders make up more of the team it will go further down the shitter.

There is no stopping this.

I have plenty of files with those forbidden characters in their names in two NTFS volumes I use with GNU/Linux, so you're basically retarded.

The problem comes when you try to rename them user. It's Windows that's retarded.

Meanwhile one of my programs wasn't working on Linux and produced files with non-displayable characters.... And they're still valid.

What happens if you make a file with a : on Linux and send it to a windows computer?

What if you read the file allocation table, determined all sectors containing the file, read those sectors into memory directly bypassing the file system, wrote them into another file in the correct order, and applied the correct file extension and permissions.

Could you reconstruct the file in a way Windows could then interact with it?

>mkdir/touch "\filename(). []"

Windows barfs and refuses to open, rename, delete, or do anything at all to the file.

I found out about that years ago when my laptop was dual-boot with a shared partition and I took a screenshot in Linux and saved it there, not noticing that the default filename includes colons.

kek i have'nt seen s3 yet

I got a question,

How will wincucks ever recover?

>Not using wayland

you can use any character except forward slash and the null byte. obviously they need to be escaped in shell commands.

Better than current state of Linux:
>make capitalization and special characters work in filenames
>be too pussy to ever use capitalized letters or special characters (like spaces) in filenames

>except forward slash
But you can use the forward slash in Linux filenames. As well as the backslash.

You can always tell the scrubs by those who don't know the difference between console, terminal, and shell.

linux is a kernel; it doesn't care about filenames, the filesystem cares

get outta here, tech illiterate

doesn't it fuck with stuff because of directories?

Hey there, Autist. Commonly, when we refer to 'Linux', we don't actually mean the Linux kernel itself. We mean Linux-based operating systems for which 'Linux' is just a shorthand.
Hope it helped and prevents you from creating embarrassing posts like that in the future. No need to thank me, I am here to help :)

I think I've seen someone on Sup Forums use it. (For folders called 'Sup Forums', 'a', etc.). After a quick search I am not so sure any more. But it shouldn't matter any more than space or other special characters.

Actually Windows is the problem. NTFS can handle it just fine. Try making a program that always prefixes "\\?\" to paths. It makes Windows pass the path to the filesystem driver instead of trying to parse it like a retard.

Windows tools like msys2 have no trouble with paths with, say, ? in them. I dug deep into the msys2 codebase and found it uses the prefix like I described.

I actually managed to submit this as a bug report to the GitHub for Windows team. Their tool can't display full Unix paths which are ubiquitous for obvious reasons. They emailed me back and said they'd take a look... and didn't.

>For file I/O, the "\\?\" prefix to a path string tells the Windows APIs to disable all string parsing and to send the string that follows it straight to the file system.

neat

Yes

That error screen makes my blood pressure rise