DAW Thread

Is Ardour worth anyone's time if they want to get into music production? Any freedom respecting alternatives? Or should I just use something like Ableton and Bitwig

I mostly use Reaper but have experimented with Ardour. Once you get passed the learning curve, it's doable to produce good quality stuff with it. It has it setbacks, though. For example, it's undo/redo glitches are really fucking annoying.

Bitwig is pretty amazing for Linux, actually made me switch because now everything I need is supported by Loonix. Ableton still has the best/most simplistic UI but apart from that they're almost the same.

Do you need to setup linux_rt and JACK for it to work, though?

>Every using anything that's not Ableton
It's like you want to perpetuate the starving musician trope

Really, I was looking at a Ardour because on it's cheap, just pay three dollars for the base and for an update you're interested in. Albeton is really out of the price range, and I could pirate it, and probably will eventually do that, but getting Ardour sounds easier to start

Just use or pirate Reaper, the best DAW ever made

not op, but I'm looking at it now and noticed that it only has offical support for Ubuntu and that its Linux download is a .deb file. Have you any experience getting to working on a different system? I'm an archfag

>because now everything I need is supported by Loonix
except for 98% of all plugins lmfao.

How's plugin support for Ardour

If you want to get serious about music production you are better off with a mainstream OS and for-profit software.

all the open source free shit has always sucked ass or fell short on a few key features.

only viable linux solution out there is bitwig.

Ardour supports windows now.

but ardour is still some freeware shit. its always been my observation that not for profit daws and editors end up sucking.

Bitwig and reaper and you can do just about anything.

check the control file and make sure you have all the libs listed as Depends installed, then manually extract the /opt/bitwig-studio stuff from the deb

it doesn't have any preinst script or such so getting it to work on any distro with equal or newer libs than debian stable should be straightforward

linux: renoise or bitwig
windows: renoise, bitwig, or flstudio
os x: logic, renoise, or bitwig

Ardour is alright. I've heard quality recordings made with it.

Mixbus isn't free as in freedom, but is apparently awesome if you like console style workflows and it runs on Linux.

Bitwig never clicked for me but some people here seem to like it. If Ableton gets you off you'd probably be familiar with Bitwig.

Renoise is wild if you can live with a tracker.

REAPER is a great option for Windows that is effectively gratis with awesome extendability, reliability, customizability, etc. Everything works as intended 99.999% of the time and it's easy on the hardware. The licensing, support, and forums are fantastic, as well. If you agree with the workflow, REAPER is a killer option.

This, Reaper is perfect.

I have no idea why I love Reaper so much. I think it's because of it's bareness and modularity. I don't know. Good DAW.

Why the fuck do you people love Reaper so much?

Seriously. What the fuck is so great about Reaper?

>
amongst other reasons

Actual men compose on paper on in Excel / LibreOffice Calc.
DAWs are all shit once you venture past plebeian 12-EDO tunings.

You mad man