/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

motherfuckingwebsite.com/
bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/
secure.proxpn.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is v-moda good?

I wanna learn R and Python from scratch. Where should I start? I don't have much trouble understanding the work of functions and different syntaxes, but I'm completely clueless as to R and semi-clueless as to Python.

Another, less important question - what's so hard about fizzbuzz? It feels like it's somethng you can do after 30 minutes of learning to anykey in any modern programming language. Is fizzbuzz being hard a meme or is there some sort of complicated optimization subtext I'm not aware of because I'm a normie?

Clueless, as in I haven't started learning them yet. Not as in I can't understand what's going on.

Not -that- stupid.

Pretty sure it qualifies as a stupid question, but this is the second thread I make and no solution works.

im using mkvtoolnix to remove the jpn audio tracks from a series, once i add all the files and enter the settings, starting the job will cause the files to be processed and saved as one file (for example, episodes 1-8 are all saved as a single file titled "episode 1.mkv" with a size of 4.3GB, each file is no larger than 500mb).

how do i stop this? ive got 51 episodes i want to batch process, can any other software can do this job?

Launch it and the application you're trying to record in admin mode. It's dumb as fuck but it fixes 95% of these problems.

Also, what are you trying to capture?

Already tried the admin thing. Didnt change anything.
I'm trying to record Devpro. A ygo Simulator.

Is there any operating system that gives allows direct access to memory and hardware like dos and c64 and templeos that is availbe for ARM? I want that on my rasbpi.

What does it mean when a website doesn't return anything? Not even an error, the tab will load for like 1 or 2 minutes and then nothing changes, I'm still in the same page I was before. What's going on?

What should I look for in a motherboard besides number of PCI slots, USB ports, fan connections, etc.

As I am looking right now there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between a 100 and 300$ mobo beside one having RGB lights and buzz words.

>get 7700K
>hits 75-80 degrees while gaming
>turn hyper-threading off
>never goes above 60-65degrees

Leave it off or buy a better cooler?

bumpan.

What cooler are you using? They both seem rather high for just gaming.

But I don't know 100%, i haven't had a chance at the newest chips yet.

Cryorig H7

I've read about the newi7s getting pretty hot under load.

I was thinking of getting a Corsair H105 liquid cooler.

Sup Forums, I'm looking for a way to force registry changes to take effect without needing a restart.

Specifically, I'm making changes under HKLM/System/Control/Security Providers/SCHANNEL and having to reboot every time I want to test a change I've made is kind of a pain.

But I noticed that one of the servers I made a change on, the change took effect without rebooting a few hours after it had been made. So I'm assuming there's some service that runs every so often to look for changes, and I just need to find that and run it manually.

This was on a machine running Windows Server 2008 R2, but I'm also working on applying this fix to 2008 Standard.

I just read that too. Maybe it got loose? I'd check the connection between the cooler and CPU.

Then just turn off hyperthreading if it worries you. Games don't use more than 4 cores, unless there are some out there that do.

are you trying to affect IIS?
IIS is a service, you can go into services.msc and restart it from there, or run "iisreset /restart" from command prompt

I think the H7 is just a little underpowered for an i7.

You really need a higher end cooler more than $50. I won't bother buying a new cooler until I actually feel the need for HT now that I think about it.

>about to buy my first tablet
>basically going to use it for comfy Youtube watching and .pdf reading

Looking at the Lenovo TAB2 10.1" due to the size and lower price. It's much cheaper for 1GB RAM, but is that still enough to smoothly watch Youtube on these things?

Cant you just disable extra cores/threads in Ryzen to make it faster?

Yes.

If you plan to do any sort of text entry, a convertible is going to be way better. I've owned a few tablets before, and they're annoying because you have to hold them up while watching video and typing on them is worse than on a phone because you have to hunt and peck instead of using your thumbs. With a convertible or a cheap netbook, text entry is WAY better and watching videos and stuff is more convenient because you don't have to hold the device to get it to stand up.

I don't plan on using it for that, I'll just use my laptop/desktop for work.

That's a fair point about holding it, I'll look into a stand or something for it. Any recommendations for convertible tablets though?

Yes, this might be just what I needed. Thank you!

Looking at wikipedia it seems like it does control things like SSL/TLS. I'm assuming restarting IIS will lead to a brief loss in connection to the server, but it will still be a hell of a lot faster than restarting the whole thing.

Is my gt 730 bottlenecking my i5 6400?

are you sure you're qualified to be touching this web server?

Is there anywhere I can look at a list of accounts/passwords from that Yahoo hack last year?

My childhood retard self put joke security questions in and in the process of ageing I forgot the password.

Oh, I already know I'm not. And I've mentioned that a couple times to people above me.

But I've been put in kind of a shitty position where I'm the only one who's going to work on it. So I've gotta figure it out as I go along one way or another.

It's that, or quit, or let a deadline pass... and honestly, I suspect if I quit, they'll just ignore it until they're in hot water over it.

good luck then
i've been put in a moved to a strange position in a previous job as well

pls help this is legit stupid question

Why would I bother using pointers and polymorphism when I need to store the instances somehow anyway in order to reference them?

Making a game as part of an assignment, with tiles. I was planning on making each tile class a child of the base Tile class. the problem, is that when I was trying to iterate through and render them they were sliced. Why bother going balls deep in storage just to polymorph when it's easier to cut it out (in this sitch I guess)

As far as I can tell my sata controller is failing.

Three of the six ports either don't detect drives or they disappear from the system shortly after booting.

How do I fix/replace it?
Or is it new motherboard time.

you could probably fix and find parts for that but it would be a hassle
if your board isnt a super high end thing id just replace it.

yeah, get at least a 1050ti

Is there a decent laptop for programming with no camera/microphone?

You could always remove the camera/microphone.

My computer seems to be only using half of my RAM, despite it detecting the full 8GB. My motherboard is an Asus M5A97 R2.0, and in the bios it's only detecting the same amount of RAM, despite detecting both RAM sticks. I can see that Windows says that 4.1GB is hardware reserved, so how can I fix that?

put a bandaid over camera, disable microphone in device manager or whatever the fucking shit linux has for hardware management, or remove it

Have apple stopped signing ios 9.3.4 for iphone 4s?
I have a jailbroken 4s on 9.0.2 and the phone has started bugging out. Anyway to upgrade from 9.0.2 to 9.3.4?

Is this the website people here have been posting? There were many impostors in my search
motherfuckingwebsite.com/

What's your mobo. Also 64 or 32 bit?

64 bit, and an Asus M5A97 R2.0

if you run Linux compile your kernel to have no support for either device

Is there a good estimate as to when more am4 motherboards will become in stock? I finally made the choice to buy ryzen and all of the boards in my budget went out of stock

semi tech question here

What are some good LED light bulbs to get that don't cost a ton? I want less heat and to save monies from them.

Try putting your RAM in dual channel. Should be color coded, put the two in the same colored slots.

That's what I've done, and I've tried both colours. Same result.

the only solution i can think of is re flowing your mother board as a last ditch effort but i recommend buying a new one. you could always buy something that lets you connect it via usb

How do I make the text in "files" bold? I can't insert HTML tags into the name when I go to edit it (I could with the others).

What kind of job/salary can I expect with 4 years experience being Network admin/engineer in the military and a CCNA and Security+ certification?

is there a way to debloat an s7? ive looked into it a bit, but im too cheap to pay for the package uninstaller or w/e that is recommended a lot, and everything else i see is a script or something that disables 3/4 of the stock software and apps. im only looking to remove some stuff i dont use, like weather, instagram, etc. is there a way/app that will let me select certain things to remove without rooting?

just root it, it is not difficult and their are plenty of tutorials

They pretty much inherently cost significantly more than CFLs for ordinary houselamp brightness levels. They use less energy, but not enough less to pay off the cost difference.

Unless you plan on installing them somewhere where changing bulbs is a royal pain in the ass (and therefore want LEDs enormous durability), you should just stick with CFLs.

suppose I want to safely access my e-mail, the best option to do it is through a live usb GNU/Linux distro like Qubes or could I just open VirtualBox and use my GNU/Linux virtual machine? considering I'm using Windows, I don't really know if it's safe to use the VirtualBox

Can you SLI a 1080 and a 1070?

I don't think Nvidia lets you.

I mean mainly in my bedroom and daughters. The rest I don't care. I just want less heat from each lamp

Honestly no idea, same result in linux?

Yes, but even nvidia said it was a bad idea to do it

Well if you don't trust the host operating system, you can't trust any VMs running on that host. The host or hypervisor has absolute control over everything a VM does. It can suspend the thing at arbitrary points and dump or modify its entire memory space.

But thinking about this at all is getting a bit ahead of yourself. You need to be more specific about your threat model. What are you trying to defend against? Malware? Ad tracking and telemetry? Government dragnet surveillance? Government targeted surveillance? Who's your provider? Do you trust them? How are you securing the network link in between you and them? Just TLS? A VPN? (from who?) Tor?

Why not just flash a custom ROM?

New mobo time.

Well CFLs don't emit a lot of heat either. It's incandescents and halogens that emit a lot of heat. In any case the amount of heat a bulb will emit is equal to its actual power draw. Since every watt that goes in either winds up as heat, or it winds up as light which gets absorbed by what it shines on, causing them to emit the energy as heat.

is there ever an instance when it is actually useful to allow assignment operators inside an if statement? couldn't you just tell the compiler to flag something that looks like this?
if (x = 23){

Recommendations for aluminum/portable mousepad? Would be using it with a laptop for 3D modeling.

>They use less energy, but not enough less to pay off the cost difference.
They pay off the cost difference through longevity not power consumption. You are right that it is a bit of an investment now for something that would only be rewarding over almost a decade of use.

They are only like $10 here. Where do you live?
If you lack morals you can just grab some at the supermarket and go through the self-serve checkout without scanning them.

if(data = returnsDataorFalse()){}
//Bootleg forloop/counter?
int i = 5;
while(i=i-1){}

I'm sure there's an obvious reason I'm missing.

>custom ROM?
because i havent done anything like that in a few years, last time i did it was when the s2 or s3 came out and i got it. ive tried looking into it a few times but xda has shitloads of stuff and i just get lost trying to figure out where to start so i dont end up using files that arent meant for my specific device

Oh, I just saw some that were expensive on newegg and such.. But yeah I am sure cheaper at stores. I'll look at prices. Just seemed like some were double the price of normal LED's but perhaps just a jew hike like best buy etc

How to install ungoogled-chromium on openSUSE?

Why can't CPU and GPU reviewers compare the new hardware with past generation hardware as well as current gen competition? If I'm looking at Ryzen benchmarks I want to see comparisons not only against Kaby and Skylake, but Haswell as well. It would at least give the majority of people right now a good baseline for comparison. Nobody with a Kaby or Skylake CPU is going to upgrade. It's going to be people with the 4690k CPUs and the 3570k CPUs.

first, thank you for answering

I actually just want to make it a good habit so I can fortify my privacy, in a sense I'd say that would be defending against telemetry, keyloggers and ad tracking yeah

I'm neutral about my provider, I don't trust them but I think I don't care this much anyway; that's why I'm not "securing my network link between me and them"

That's pretty much the reason. Like this idiom is pretty common:
while (x = get_next_thing()) {
do_something(x->data);
}

Then get_next_thing() can just cough up a null pointer when there are no more things to get.

K&R does this. Here's the minimal strcpy implementation they give:
void strcpy(char *s, char *t) {
while (*s++ = *t++)
;
}

I just checked the prices of a local supermarket. CFLs are $5 per bulb and LED are ~$7 per bulb.
Considering LEDs last about 3 times as long as CFLs there does not seem to be any good reason for sticking with CFLs.

Personally I still have a couple lights using halogen bulbs just because I could not find any LED/CFL that were dimmer compatible.
I also keep a halogen in a desklamp I use at my work space, I like to imagine the extra heat from the light dries my glues quicker and stops solder from hardening too quickly.

From what I read, moore's law say that computing power doubles every 18 months. If this is the case why do we still have processors at 3-4ghz when they same speeds existed years ago.

yeah true. price is no issue. also I just read about halogen bulbs leaking mercury and such.I just moved into a new place so thought of just getting new ones and such

Yup, just reinstalled Windows to see if that might help, still the same error.

The LEDs you saw on newegg might have been fancy ones like philips hue. I cannot think of any other reason for them costing so much.

BUMP

For uni I'll be taking an intro to database course. I've talked to the professor to see if I could get a better grasp on what we will be covering. He said its not going to focus on one thing like MySQL but instead focusing on the fundamentals of how databases work and how to manipulate them.

My question is what can I do to prepare myself for this course? Does anyone have any experience working with databases that could give a beginner a tip? Obviously I'm doing some research on it myself but someone like a dba's input would be really helpful.

as far as I know no distro packages chromium with the ungoogled patch set, so you get to go compile it yourself. The inconvenience of doing this is one major reason I put up with Firefox, where at least I can turn off the botnet my just maintaining a user.js file.

Well it certainly wouldn't hurt to get in the habit of doing your browsing in a VM. Although the host pwns the VM, the reverse isn't true, so if something bad happens in the VM, it stays there, and you can just build a new one or revert to a snapshot. (Yeah yeah, there's VM escapes, but those are rare and very very difficult to us)

Privacy settings are mostly about your browser. Ghacks has a privacy guide for Firefox. Chromium yaks to Google and there's nothing you can do about it other than compiling it yourself, see above. Use addons like uBlock Origin and uMatrix. You can go a lot farther if you want.

Remember also that your mail provider can always read your mail, unless you encrypt it yourself locally, with PGP or GPG or the like. The hardest part of using those is persuading your correspondents to use them.

Moore's Law died ten years ago, that's why. Well, it didn't in the sense that we keep getting more transistors, but we ran into a clock speed and thermal wall, so now the only way to use them is moar coars. And software is still poorly parallelized because concurrency is hard.

Enjoy not having to upgrade every year or two.

The amount of mercury in halogen bulbs isn't enough to poison you. Assuming you aren't in the habit of breaking bulbs by the dozen and then huffing their contents.

I'm not a pro but there really is a book called the Manga Guide to Databases, so if you have any weeb in you at all, go get a copy of that.

Does anyone have this shit happen or has had it happen before?
Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
or
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after 23979 requests (23976 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
A few programs like gitk, Thunderbird, and Quiterss are pretty reliable in getting these errors.

>one major reason I put up with Firefox
Then I'll do the same, thanks.

>intro to database
You'll spend a week or two covering the general principle: spreadsheets and accessing/editing methods

Then you'll have increasingly dense labs and shit that ask you to do more things. The first might have you make a short database and pull out values, soon after you might sort the database, then process the database based on some thing (i.e. moving people who have element X=foo to database Y)

It's going to be like any other course, presumably

I'm dualbooting windows 7 and Manjaro.

Is there a way to somehow make a virtualbox/virtualmachine that runs the Manjaro install?

I just often find myself needing to go from one to the other for a short while and rebooting just interrupts the workflow. I don't want to have an actual virtual machine because the performance stinks and I do profiling too often in either OS to ignore that on one of them.

#!/bin/bash

mkdir "output"

for filename in ./*.mkv
do
mkvmerge -o "./output/$filename" --audio-tracks 1 "./$filename"
done

>Manga Guide to Databses
I can't believe this is real, but here we are

Thank you, I'm just a bit nervous for this course in particular because I've never worked with databases outside of the Excel spreadsheets I used to manage as a hotel's front office manager. My other two courses are an Enterprise Information Security and an Ethics course, both of which I feel comfortable doing.

Optionally. Does anyone know how to make hibernate work well with both OSes? Because it just doesn't work on manjaro if I've booted windows after i hibernated manjaro.

so you want a virtual-machine that's not really a virtual-machine?

doesn't your CPU support VT-x passthrough?

also, you can try this:
bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/

do i get two questions?

i spilled beer in my main pc keyboard. it works but for certain keys i hit multiple characters in put, example 'r' types out 'br/'. is my keyboard fucked or can i clean it out and save it?

best vpn service? anything out there thats free. vpns are completely new to me

Mine gets up to 70ish while gaming with an H50. I had the shit at stock speeds and the retarded Asus mobo was overvolting it despite disabling all the OC shit in BIOS, so I applied a -0.08 vcore offset. Runs a bit cooler, even under a FPU stress test.

I wish there was an AVX2 stress test to really bring it to its knees. Srsly do I need to pirate Visual Studio, look up the intrins and write one or something?

If it's free don't use it. Ever.

You should be able to clean your keyboard and it may work. I'd ballpark it at about 75% of success

ProXPN
secure.proxpn.com/

I want a virtual machine that runs my copy of he OS. It's still a virtual machine in execution obviously. It'd just be a virtual machine pretending to be my actual computer.

I haven't looked into it. But I'm a bit concerned with actually trying to make a virtual machine perform as native when I profile my code quite a lot. And it doesn't actually make sense to try since I'm gonna have an OS run the virtul machine which I'm profiling on. Thee's no way that won't impact my application. And I can't keep the two filesystems separate (i.e. one native install of linux, one native windows and one virtualbox) because that kinda defeats the purpose a lot of the time.

If I could create a virtual machine and tell it "use this native filesystem instead of the regular fs". Without it corrupting things that'd be great.

When learning networking what is the list of things that I HAVE TO get a decent rock solid understanding no matter what? and what others things dont really matter if i dont understand them more than just the basics?

im learning by myself so i dont really have a teacher or exams to check myself.

I've given my CMStorm Trigger a bath 3 times with no issues. Comes out good as new after. I'd take it apart first though.

once again, thank you for your time helping me

>Thee's no way that won't impact my application.
It usually gets about 90%+ of native. Also explain what you want better.

thanks anons

I have a rooted samsung j7, debloated stock 6.0.1, xposed + gravitybox
Whenever I take a screenshot I get the screenshot animation followed by "SystemUI has stopped", followed by another screenshot/animation and another "SystemUI has stopped". Sometimes it happens three times. The error message I'm less concerned about because it doesn't cause any problems, but the time wasted with multiple shots resulting in multiple copies in my gallery is kind of annoying. Googling hasn't yielded any useful results, any suggestions?

What's a good video editing software to be used in conjunction with OBS? Not trying to do crazy special effects or anything, just your rudimentary stuff.
I'll upgrade to something like Vegas or Premiere in the near future, but I'd like something of a learner program first.