SSD Prices

When are they going back down?

Is going from 100GB to 500GB SSD worth an extra $100? (I will be using it as my OS drive for both Windows 7 & Debian.)

Which do I buy?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA4457V3418

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820329008

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173151
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721108
tomshardware.com/reviews/sk-hynix-sl308-ssd-review,4583.html
hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-1TB-2015-vs-WD-Black-1TB-2013/3520vs1822
hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-4TB-2015-vs-WD-Black-4TB-2016/3523vs3908
hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Seagate-Barracuda-3TB-2016-vs-Toshiba-MD04ACA400-4TB/3898vs3202
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>When are they going back down?
Never. In fact, prices will only continue to increase

Hynix. I have 2. Outperforms everything, a 850evo lite.

nope, NAND and DRAM prices will continue to rise until Q3 of 2017.

get fucked SSD memers

In 2020 prices will return to what they were a year ago.

yes 500 GB > 100 GB you fucking mongrel

i have a 128 and 250 GB SSD and its just not enough anymore .. checked the 500 GB prices and they almost doubled since i bought my 250 .. wtf happened

100GB isn't enough, but 240-250GB might be.

Both of the links you posted are for bad SSDs, I think. This may sound counterintiutive... buy from a memory company, not a hard drive company, not a no-name brand. Kingston, Intel, Samsung.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173151

and
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721108

never get an SSD larger than 128gb.
SSD-s are meant for fast access, not storage.
In some cases 128GB+ SSD-s are needed(computers with a lot of users) but if you're the only one using it then don't go bigger than

What if I want fast access to my storage?

7200rpm is enough.
if you need faster then there are 10Krpm drives.
More reliable and cheaper than getting a huge SSD

>picked up a 525GB Crucial MX300 for €85 last holiday season
>mfw it's double that price now

240/256gb ssd is more than enough for OS, primary apps, and a couple most played games

Reccommending a kingston drive? Opinion discarded. Hynix is the number 2 memory manufacturer in the world, flash is no diffrent than any other dram manufacturing process.

tomshardware.com/reviews/sk-hynix-sl308-ssd-review,4583.html

128gb is always the slowest option. Usually about half the performance of 250-500gb drives. Do not buy 128gb.

I have a few SSDs above 128GB, they're fine.

Honestly never heard of this company. If Seagate, the brand with the highest drive failure rates in the world, is using these parts (says your article) that's a good reason to avoid. What are the failure rates on Hynix branded drives?

Bought 5 Kingston SSDs, 2 for me, 3 for friends; just put one in my PS3; no issues, and quite fast. What's the problem with them?

>never get an SSD larger than 128gb.
Stupidest advice ever.
I would never consider a SSD smaller than 500GB at this point, unless I was starving to death.
In the long run small drives just end up being annoying, because they don't die.

You have never heard of the number 2 memory manufacturer in the world? I guess you don't know shit. And wouldn't you agree hdds manufactured years ago are different than flash nand? v300 is consistantly an underperformer.

Yes, thanks for the typo. It should be *smaller*

>apps

Do you have any actual facts regarding the failure rates of this component?

1Tb ssd at $100 when?

whys that?

i have a 10k black, its too loud and takes a while to spin on.

Yeah avoid the 10K drives. I use 5400RPM WD Reds in my SAN.

fuck ssds, when ram prices are going down

I have a 1tb ssd I use just for data storage. It's pretty nice to copy files from and to it.
My system is on a 256gb 850pro.
If you're not a poorfag, go for it. I had a 128 ssd before and it fills up quickly.

>prices go down
not for a long time bub

demand is high, stock is reserved, the region is at risk of natural disaster with an unstable global market.

may as well get the largest you can, quality is much higher now with 2-5 year min lifespan on most ssds

>ssd
>storage

lol I got a 4 tb hard drive for under $150
ssdfags get cucked

>2 5 year lifespan
you fucking what

>i-its gud in my ps3 m8

Kill yourself. Not everyone buys SSDs for their manchild machines. Write speeds are usually worse on 128gb and lower models and they also wear down quicker.

>2-5 year min lifespan on most ssds
You must abuse the fuck out of your SSDs, SSDs should last 15-20 years minimum even with a few terabytes a year of writes.

not him but 128gb SSDs are just fine, much rather have a 128gb SSD than a 500GB mechanical drive, you would toss them or the contollers would shit themselves before the NAND would ever go out

>hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-1TB-2015-vs-WD-Black-1TB-2013/3520vs1822

lmao at those 4k speeds, slower than internet!

>230kB/sec

wrong link
hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-4TB-2015-vs-WD-Black-4TB-2016/3523vs3908

but makes no difference. your mechanical whirlybird is connected to your motherboard via shitty broadband

Is the "only use for OS" meme dead? Can you use an SSD as your only drive?

>buying wdjews
just buy toshiba or seagate

>are just fine

Yeah except when it comes to write speeds and endurance like I said. For some shitty console even a chink SSD would be 'fine'.

hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Seagate-Barracuda-3TB-2016-vs-Toshiba-MD04ACA400-4TB/3898vs3202

even worse lel

Please respond.

The "only use for OS" thing came from when there where quite expensive. Not the case much anymore, you can get a 1TB SSD for $200-250. Still a farcry from HDD prices which is $50 for 1TB

if you're fine without HDD-tier capacities, then yes

128gb ssd
4tb hard drive
there you go

Even Tom's review is lacking as it doesn't show how the controller performs at near 100% capacity. Only Anandtech do that testing, and only on some models. That's why you erase all doubt and get only top tier models like the SanDisk Extreme II/Pro or 850 Pro. Sure, you have to pay through the teeth, but it's fucking worth it if you want to actually use all the space (a ridiculous demand I know)

>buy seagate
please stop posting harmful advice user

>SSDs are shit they said
>SSDs will die they said

Are SSDs useful for crypto mining?

Not really I don't think, maybe as a boot drive for your mining PC

>first gen(?) Vertex
I hope you keep it backed up user, just in case

No need. I've used it in several laptops, my desktop and now it's 'retired' in my tiny zotac box I use in my living room. If it does I already have spare shit I can use. It still just twerks. Only writes about ~50mb/s but it still boots in seconds.

To me it depends. My first SSD was 80gb. My second 120GB, then 150GB. Now 256GB M.2 x4.

I do this in all my PCs now; Windows on SSD, all data on HDDs. SSDs SATA3, HDDs can spill over to SATA2 channels.

Agreed + OCZ