Systemd

>Thing comes along that's way fucking better in every possible way to sysv
>Crusty old linux users throw a fit and hinder progress

this is why it will never be year of the linux desktop and why most linux software is garbo

prove me wrong (you cannot)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/1990sLinuxUser
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just as expected

i agree user

linux simply has too many spergs who cling to things like the 'unix philosophy' which was really just a 90s message board meme, not an actual design imperative

>being able to fractionalize every part of your operating system and pass input and output between all programs as text streams is a meme

HOO HOO

My Linux friend who designed and maintains servers with 10TB of RAM and laughs at the idea of "enterprise" because no one could offer that uses systemd. Then again this is a real life example of someone with a job so he doesn't represent the average Sup Forums poster

binary logs are the only thing that holds it back

It is a meme. Text output streams aren't the holy grail of computing anymore. Binary formats are a lot more performant /resilient, and objects are way better to work with than trying to awk and sed through a million or so different formats

When you get more experience with Linux, you'll notice the imperfections

Auditing is a legit concern though.

The unix design philosophy is mirrored in shit like java.

The core concept of piping is still extremely useful.

friendly reminder that linux is just a kernel
systemd can function pretty fine without linux

what is this thread?

It's Pottering being a shill, wtf does it look like?

All the real respected Linux distros that are used professionally use systemd

twitter.com/1990sLinuxUser

>/run is blatant FHS violation! What on earth was wrong with the existing combination of /var/run /var/lock /lib/init/rw /dev/shm /dev/.* ???

>That interesting link you just shared? Let me totally ignore the content and posture about how I don't have Javascript enabled by default.

>You can already build Dropbox yourself quite trivially by getting an FTP account, mounting it with curlftpfs, and then using SVN or CVS.

>Just ranted to my cornered and clearly uninterested colleagues about the oxymoronic "Graphical expert install" in the Debian installer.

>systemd
>can't be audited
>phones home to googs
>Lennart is an SJW
kill yourselfs

The worse example is KDE. It was always the innovator. Yet the "I must have 2MB footprint on my 128GB PC" le meme always destroyed progress.

>binary formats are a lot more performant/resilient

They all suck actually. It's impossible to parse them securely. They have context-sensitive grammars. Length-prefixing is basically a denial of service waiting to happen as many have found out. There's a reason serious protocols like HTTP are all text based.

Also "text" doesn't actually exist All text is encoded in a... binary format! Thankfully sane encodings avert much of the security issues above. They have already been perfected.

Honestly unless you're at database levels of reliability nobody is gonna take your special snowflake encoding seriously.

Red Hat is the root of all evil.

>the linux desktop
what is this?
did linus implement a DE?

i believe some evidence is in order

>Can't be audited
>Literally LGPL

i dont even know how they become this autistic. I went to the openbsd forums and literally asked them straight up "hey, how is this better than linux?"
didnt get an answer other than "oh well i guess the man pages are pretty good"
lol fucking really

Lennart confirmed for asspained AF.

Trips are truth.

>guy decide to make a new init system
>highly renowned people say they are concerned about several issues
>developers are arrogant cunts and make clear they don't give a shit about the linux community
>they already gave the foot in the door, nobody seems willing to stop it
>people too lazy to develop something different
>sysadmins too lazy to not use it because "it's comfy"
>linux philosophy gone, monolithic system established

>oops, init system is now half of the operating system
>oops, we now have an bloated insecure process with PID 1
>oops, the company that does this is known for working with the NSA
>oops, every now and then crucial security holes pop up, but people feel save because it's open source
>hey, let's use DNSSEC and other retarded shit because reasons

tl; dr: SystemD is bad and it's developers are pricks and either stupid or payed by the NSA

>without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

non-server dude:

but isn't Void Linux' runit having a smaller resource footprint? Like, shouldn't stuff be a bit more efficient?

Isn't this technically progress?

KISS mayb not be a design imperative, but guid line, because some times you need to make shit obscure like break the ACID principle on database normalization forms because encapsulted joins perform worse than duplicating tables or data sets in different tables. just shows that you never actually programmed anything, that's bigger than hello world

>The unix design philosophy is mirrored in shit like java.
java is all but KISS but you wouldn't know anything about that, because shitposting is more relevant than actually knowing wtf you are talking about.

fa/g/gots :)

Yeah... When I think about it, every cancerous Linux feature can be traced back to those red hat guys and their developers

citation needed

You probably advocate binary log files too, retard

The only criticism I have against systemd is it can be more bloated than sysv

>Windows way
>better than the UNIX way
kys faggot

the hell is difference between text and binary ? i thought everything is binary as you say :
>Also "text" doesn't actually exist All text is encoded in a... binary format
Is it all about encoding?