AMD Responds to Ryzen's Lower Than Expected 1080p Performance

AMD's John Taylor had this to say:

"As we presented at Ryzen Tech Day, we are supporting 300+ developer kits with game development studios to optimize current and future game releases for the all-new Ryzen CPU. We are on track for 1000+ developer systems in 2017. For example, Bethesda at GDC yesterday announced its strategic relationship with AMD to optimize for Ryzen CPUs, primarily through Vulkan low-level API optimizations, for a new generation of games, DLC and VR experiences.

Oxide Games also provided a public statement today on the significant performance uplift observed when optimizing for the 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 7 CPU design - optimizations not yet reflected in Ashes of the Singularity benchmarking. Creative Assembly, developers of the Total War series, made a similar statement today related to upcoming Ryzen optimizations.

CPU benchmarking deficits to the competition in certain games at 1080p resolution can be attributed to the development and optimization of the game uniquely to Intel platforms - until now. Even without optimizations in place, Ryzen delivers high, smooth frame rates on all "CPU-bound" games, as well as overall smooth frame rates and great experiences in GPU-bound gaming and VR. With developers taking advantage of Ryzen architecture and the extra cores and threads, we expect benchmarks to only get better, and enable Ryzen excel at next generation gaming experiences as well.

Game performance will be optimized for Ryzen and continue to improve from at-launch frame rate scores."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j7UBHjtCXhU&feature=youtu.be&t=1264
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Two game developers also chimed in.

Oxide Games, creators of the Nitrous game engine that powers Ashes of the Singularity:

"Oxide games is incredibly excited with what we are seeing from the Ryzen CPU. Using our Nitrous game engine, we are working to scale our existing and future game title performance to take full advantage of Ryzen and its 8-core, 16-thread architecture, and the results thus far are impressive. These optimizations are not yet available for Ryzen benchmarking. However, expect updates soon to enhance the performance of games like Ashes of the Singularity on Ryzen CPUs, as well as our future game releases." - Brad Wardell, CEO Stardock and Oxide

And Creative Assembly, the creators of the Total War Series and, more recently, Halo Wars 2:

"Creative Assembly is committed to reviewing and optimizing its games on the all-new Ryzen CPU. While current third-party testing doesn't reflect this yet, our joint optimization program with AMD means that we are looking at options to deliver performance optimization updates in the future to provide better performance on Ryzen CPUs moving forward. "

"JUST WAIT" is AMD's official slogan

I wonder if their shill partner companies like Oxide optimize for 8 cores, or they force 8 cores, meaning if they are slower than doing what they do at the GPU level but make it so that it must use 99 cores so they make AMD look good.

>WAIT™ FO® IT

>CPU benchmarking deficits to the competition in certain games at 1080p resolution can be attributed to the development and optimization of the game uniquely to Intel platforms - until now.
He is full of shit. 99% of the instructions on an Intel CPU are identical to an AMD CPU so even if you did try to optimize for it, you would still optimize for AMD by 99% anyway, and most things are compiled on gcc or vstudio too. Also most of the parallelism on a modern game is done on the GPU level nowadays and the latest APIs like Vulkan use the CPU even *LESS* so a CPU is rarely needed by most games or game genres.

>smooth frame rates
What kind of stupid meme is that anyway? I have a Haswell and I never got "non smooth". Is that a 7700K meme?
But I bet it's bs that a 7700K isn't "smooth".

99% of the instructions on a GPU are also identical, with the driver/API handling the specifics of the card in question, and yet GPU optimizations are performed all the time as well.

Optimization-agnostic code like that found in 3D renderers has already shown us that the Ryzen chips are slightly behind in single-core processing than Intel's best, which isn't reflected in the sometimes 30% deficit displayed in various games. The results seen from Intel chips is much more in line with real-world results, so there's definitely an issue somewhere in the stack.

Probaby the new amd buzzword starter pack. Notice how amdfags startd using "goilod aging" and "fine wine". King pajeet used "fine wine" in their last stream. At this point I believe we have genuine amd shills here.

>OC'ers dream CPU and GPU
Why do people still give AMD benefit of the doubt? They are as dirty rats as Intel, always lie to customers and pretend to be "The Good Guys"

they even stopped supporting coreboot
If I'm going full botnet I'd go for intel brcause at least I'm getting top performance. Also IME can be patched because it's off cpu die unlike amd psp

The issue is with the SMT implementation. When intel launched HT there was a similar performance degradation against the Athlon dual cores. Once developers compensated to deal with the HT weirdness it was fine, but SMT does have some inherent overhead that isn't being addressed yet in Ryzen.

If you want evidence of this look at GN review and the performance boost it got when they turned SMT off.

The same 7700K that tries to cook itself if you look at it sideways? I bet the stupid fucking things are thermal throttling or some shit

Not an issue with a good cooler.

They are worse, they literally rigged their Ryzen benchmarks

youtube.com/watch?v=j7UBHjtCXhU&feature=youtu.be&t=1264

Because they like to root for the underdog.
They see Intel (and Nvidia) as the evil, arrogant monopoly that's only after their money (it is), but at the same time they insist AMD is a bunch of friendly philantropists who strive to make great CPU/GPU for cheap, and are just thwarted by the monopoly.
Which is retarded, because AMD is just after their shekels, too, and they've found a working marketing strategy of milking their loyal fanbase - hype up the next product line to make them believe "this time AMD will BTFO ((((them)))) for sure," then after you deliver underwhelming results, placate the early adopters for a bit (Drivers will fix it! You're benchmarking it wrong!) and immediately start hyping up the next "great thing" on your roadmap.

yup, exactly GN is based as fuck, that guy is top tier reviewer

brave man. most kids will believe he is shilling. he is obviously pissed.
I bet like 99% of us with an Intel rooted for AMD.
But they fuck up, mainly because they don't shill first for 4c/8t products in my opinion, they are simply a sweet spot and when intel bins them well and shills for them first thing they simply have better shilling.

>watercooled 1800x crashing on stage @4.1
Really made me think

kek, faggots can't into moar volts

my 3930k crashes at 4.8ghz because i don't want to feed it more than 1.4v

So your argument is "just wait and accept this pr statement as an undeniable truth"?

>officially stated 8% lower IPC
>officialy stated 20% lower clock than 7700k
>games that only utilize 4 cores somehow show Kaby being ahead by similar percentages when CPU isn't bottlenecked by GPU

WTF HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!

Ryzen is exactly what it's supposed to be. It will shine once games start using 8 cores but that's it. It's just your typical overhyping bullshit.

>and
So AMD is paying to developers knobble Intel performance after trying to get benchmarks GPU bottlenecked. Nice Jewing.

Why people say rayzen is a failure when benchmarks says it's a success?

Only select few games show underwhelming performance and even among those in most cases when you disable smt performance goes up. We have haswell equivalent CPU here with more cores and for cheap. I won't change my i7 for ryzen but IF I was building my PC now I would wait for 6 core rayzen. Also PC I'm planning to build as a gift for my brother will definitely be on ryzen 3

>agnostic

Are you literally mentally challenged child? That's an AMD statement. I run Intel CPUs.

>Literally the same argument since Thuban

AMD are idiots and Intel are smarter at shilling. They release first the 4c/8t chip because THAT's what most kids and desktop users need. THAT's how you create a meme about them, not with promoting 8c/16t chips that only 60 year old no lifers are going to actually utilize on a server farm.

>buy $500 CPU
>play games at 1080p

Pick one.

Are you tards still trying to compare it to the i7-7700k?

8 core ryzen with out smt will be better than i7 7700

In a lot of situations 1080p for desk gameplay is almost indiscernible from 4k for games, people want higher frame rates at 1080p over 4k nowadays.

I say that 1440p gaming is going to be a lot more common if you decide on buying a $500 processor.

>worse
>against company that lost numerous lawsuits for antitrust

bait

You act like it isn't true.

>bunch of friendly philantropists who strive to make great CPU/GPU for cheap
This is more true than it is for NVIDIA. Yes at the end of the day they're still a company after my money, but they also release their game toolkits for free, they don't lock you out of using their consumer cards for virtualization, they release and subsequently donate their graphics API for free while NVIDIA strives to fuck up the entire GPGPU market with fucking CUDA. They're not great, but they are certainly better.

>this time AMD will BTFO ((((them)))) for sure
Intel has been BTFO in many workloads, the results are only underwhelming in gayming, where they are still totally fine. For my particular use case Ryzen is a dream come true and exactly what they promised.

>Drivers will fix it! You're benchmarking it wrong!
Somebody did a retest of the GTX 1060 vs. RX 480 several months after their original review and found the gap had widened substantially in the exact same games, with the RX 480 gaining as much as 10% in some cases.

>AMD's John Taylor
They still haven't fired this clown yet?

That's AMD's fault at being stupid at propaganda. Intel are better at promotion. They first release the 4core/8thread chips because that's what most kids and desktop users need to actually use at what they actually do and that's where most of the memes are produced.

If you GPU-cap you moron, you don't benchmark a CPU but a GPU, if you GPU-cap with the same GPUs on both like you want us to do we would no longer benchmark a CPU, but the fucking motherboard tech or other low level I/O tech.
Even the AMD promotion at the top isn't so inane in suggesting what you suggested.
Get over it, GPUs do most of the parallelism anyway, CPUs are supporters.

AMD needs to resort to this faux philanthropy otherwise nobody would bother with them.

Stop lying.
Since Coreboot support attracted a lot of neckbeards during the (((Reddit))) AMA, AMD said they will look into what can be done about it. Nothing solid yet, but at least they are considering it.
Also, the Intel ME can only be bypassed on Sandy and Ivy Bridge. If you buy anything newer, you are screwed.
But I don't expect a stupid shill to know anything more than marketing materials from Intel Aviv.

"Faux philanthropy".

When you graduate high school and find out there's more to life then your mushroom farm you call a bedroom, you'll realize how mistaken you are sadly.

>Are you tards still trying to compare it to the i7-7700k?
You mean the amdrones? Yes

So far, the only people that I'm seeing that are comparing it to the 7700k are Intel shills. Everyone else says that this has made Intel's HEDT line irrelevant.

Did yoy read the pic and miss the constant overhype or the new narrative is that it was all falseflag intel shilling?
Literally kill yourself.

>so far only one post shown that said that
Every other OP I've seen pre-NDA have all been "RYZEN DOA LOOK AT THESE BENCHMARKS COMPARING IT TO THE 7700K!!!"
Go dig up some more for me if you're so intent on proving this.

Did you miss the part where amdrones were shilling it as 7700k killer in gaming while having the same cost and twice the cores? It was rampant on this board. Now fuck off back to /r/amd and kill yourself.

Are you literally stupid? AMD are not underdogs or "philanthropists". They hog the GPU patents being a cartel with NVIDIA on the desktop and they hog the CPU patents with Intel too.
If anything, they are the WORST offenders of patent hogging on the planet since at least NVIDIA and Intel only do it - or can do it - either on GPU or the CPU stage mostly.

who is this semen demon?

I only see one post in your image that says that.

becase you're either a fucking newfag from /r/amd who came last week or pretending to be retarded amdrone
the same shit happened before and after polaris

Well, it's on you to prove that.

I don't like the patent system either, but bitching about individual companies doing what the system demands of them is missing the big picture.

>Well, it's on you to prove that.
There's rebecca black but you're an amdrone or/and newfag so I'm not wasting my time any more.

>I literally can't prove anything
>"A-A-AMDRONE! I'm not wasting my time on you anymore."

In any case their are not philanthropists. They are in for the profit. It's a stupid meme that AMD are "good", they are a business, only high school children should have "favorite companies".

I gave you the archive. It's on you now, newfag.

where? I'm not seeing any link

John Taylor from AMD

>where? I'm not seeing any link
t. newfag
back to plebbit

uhmmm...thanks for the link?
>Intel damage control literally ran out of tactics and are only left with "newfag plebbit" insults

the fact that you don't even know what rebecca back is and how to use it makes you a newfag who came here last week
fuck off /r/amd want you back

>Intel fucks over AMD
>AMD fucks over their own customers

>rebecca back
but archiving what we do is the absolute plebbit faggot

thank you for making me have to sift through thousands of posts, you're really helping your argument

Are you actually trying to deny that for the last two months Sup Forums was a complete circlejerk of hyped up AMDrones with at least 3 Ryzen hype threads up at all times full of people swearing left and right R7 will rape the entire Intel lineup so hard in all imaginable tasks that any 7700k owners might just go hang themselves?
If you are, then the "we were never really saying all these things about (insert AMD product here), you're just making shit up" stage of denial is real.

>i'll just move the goal posts
kill yourself amd shills

>3 Ryzen hype threads up
This ignoring the constant "jim keller" Sup Forums tier meta spam. 50% of Sup Forums was "what's his name" meta and 3-4 200+ posts ryzen circlejerk.

>If you are
I was never one of those people, though. I mostly lurk other boards and occasionally lurk here but I started going here almost full time for the last two or three weeks and so far, the OPs I've seen have been showing leaked benchmarks comparing it to the 7700k and then declaring Ryzen as DOA.

Makes sense amd was always better at open gl so vulkan being the best api for multiple cpus and driver overhead its likely but game development hasnt made the change and wont for awhile

>amd was always better at open gl
I don't know if someone is ironc at this point or just a plain retarded amdrone.

she wants it so bad.

any nudes?

>just do it yourself developers cuz' we're a bunch of lazy stupid hacks

This is why nvidia dominates the enterprise market. They sell hardware and software platform and support.
Meanwhile at amd:
>here's our gpoo
>lol write your own opencl shit lmao

>a super smart man making 7figures with a poor diet is sitting next to you with no wedding ring