/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

adblock.mahakala.is/
googleadservices.com/pagead/p3p.xml
trac.ffmpeg.org/#Encoding
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

While a lot of C and C++ libraries provide bindings, almost nobody seems to use SWIG to create them.

How comes?

What does it mean when a website doesn't return anything? Not even an error, the tab will load for like 1 or 2 minutes and then nothing changes, I'm still in the same page I was before. What's going on?

Wouldn't that mean the server keeps the connection alive but does nothing else apart from that?

This sounds like completely normal behavior.

From previous thread.

Any pointers what to research if I want to build a physical side storage with multiple drives that act as one drive and preferably have some sort of RAID control to reduce risk of failure that can be accessed from my main machine as if it was just an external hard drive?

I've heard about NAS, but not sure if it meets these requirements.

I want a very simple server to play around with dumb shit.
It doesn't need to be beefy, would a Pentium 4 with 1 GB DDR1 suffice? I have the option to have that donated to me for Computer Science courses, but I am not sure if it'll even work.
Ideally I'd be installing Apache and some Linux distros to play around with - worth mentioning I never used/installed Linux before, so the point is for training exclusively.
Or should I opt for a old Xeon for that type of purpose?

With my company that usually means the server received your request but hung after telling you it was gonna send you something, so it sends you a blank page instead. Usually if it's connectivity-related you would get a numerical error code.
Look up FreeNAS builds. When configuring the software, take the options for samba/CIFS. You'll be able to add that storage pool as a network location and browse to it with a drive letter.
have you looked at raspberry pi?
An old xeon is fine for that purpose.

>a physical side storage
a wat?

>I want a very simple server to play around with dumb shit.
raspberry pi, not meming
if you're just playing around and learning, rasp pi is perfect and cheap

A Raspberry Pi actually costs more than the Pentium 4 PC I can get for free, though.

I disagree.
Go for an amd64 system in stead.
Many operating systems have specific peculiarities for arm.

The power bill for the P4 will cost more than the RP and its power bill combined, however.

Why not just use a VPS?
Vultr has the 500MB ones at 2.5 usd per month.

dunno, better ask

Yeah, you can estimate that 1 watt constant draw is about 1 dollar on your power bill per year depending on local rates.

When using FreeNAS, will I only be able to access contents of the storage through some network protocol or will there be a physical connection available somewhere? I thought about FreeNAS before, but wasn't sure of how the storage is accessed from a machine.

What about encryption support? Does it require external tools to encrypt things, or does the underlying system already handle it?

If you mean plugging into it over USB like an external drive, no - you need to use the network to transfer to other devices

You can do disk encryption though freenas itself or you can use encrypted containers on it

Why should I use a Whonix gateway instead of just using Tails?

Why is resource-hogging software allowed to make the whole OS unresponsive? Shouldn't any system keep a small reserve of CPU cycles and memory to allow enough responsiveness to shut down the problematic software?

Was managing to get computer graphics degree without knowing even a bit of any programming language was a huge fucking mistake?

nah just pick up a book and learn the syntax

When you mean network, do you mean internet connection, or is it possible to transfer over say just an Ethernet cable?

Also, are there any other alternatives that allow physical connection just like USB, and if not, is securing the transfer connection a problem or can it be done through something along the lines of SSH?

Why are ads suddenly playing on YouTube again?

Using uMatrix btw (recently updated hosts files and restarted Firefox due to ads playing).

Does a 64-bit OS use a 64-bit blocksize for memory?
If so, does it not waste more memory by placing values smaller than 8 bytes into 8 byte blocks, as opposed to placing them into 4 byte blocks like 32-bit systems?

I'm almost sure compiler pack them as efficient as possible.

Add adblock.mahakala.is/

Most people just use them on their LAN but you can configure it for WAN access if you want.

If you just want something with multiple drives to plug in via USB look for external RAID enclosures.

Are exposed AV cables dangerous as in electricity?

But there's no direct access to the upper 32 bits in R registers, just like there's isn't any to the upper 16 bits of E registers, right?
You'd have to shift those registers if you want to access the values stored in the upper register parts?
Does that mean that 64-bit systems either waste more memory or execute slightly slower than 32-bit systems in most cases?

I guess the increase in total addressable system memory would still make 64-bit systems better, but I wouldn't have suspected such a drawback.

You might damage the equipment but you won't hurt yourself.

When getting RAM, do you need some with heat spreaders? Or are they not necessary?

I'm wondering if these cheap windows 10 pro enterprise cdkeys on ebay are legitimate?

That's why you should have a swap partition.

It seems to have some small issues, but I'll assume it does the trick. Thanks.

If you were about to receive a lethal shock, the breakers would tip. At least, I'd hope so.
Otherwise my mom would've died by toaster many times by now.

How can i live forever?

so i have a spare 780 is there anything i can do with it other than throwing it up on craigs list? not even sure i would get much for it in the first place if it even sells

Tried a bunch of videos after adding it, but still got one ad playing. I guess it's better.

So I was watching this video about binary numbers and I decided to try (pic related) in my calculator I got 14,776,335 instead.

Is the video wrong or can someone confirm my result, thank you.

Buying 4 3TB+ drives for a nice RAID is expensive huh.

Is there a special season I should wait for before buying drives or something?

fuck linus "we are quirky pc master race gamers" dick tips

14,776,336 is 62^4, so 10000(base62)
I'm not sure if z

no, it's a gimmick. some are even cheaper with giant heatsinks so you have to buy the more expensive "low profile" ones to make them fit under your CPU cooler.

I'm thinking of buying this rig, completely built and delivered to my home as I've been out of the loop for a while. Would this be able to play virtually all games very comfortably on high-ish settings? I like R6 Siege and WoW. It would cost me 1000 euro, delivered. Is this a fair price?
* Sharkoon Shark Zone C10
* Intel Core i5-7500 3,4GHz
* Cooler Master Hyper 103
* Asus B150I PRO GAMING / AURA
* Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-2400
* NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4GB
* 1000GB HDD SATAIII
* 650 Watt Corsair
* 1200 Mbps TP-Link WiFi USB Stick

Took a peak in Developer Tools and dug up this link while/after the ad was playing.
googleadservices.com/pagead/p3p.xml

It seems to be blocked by uMatrix though, and I didn't see any other links.

that's around 350euros more than buying the parts yourself.
and it doesn't even have an SSD.

so no, it's a shit deal.

Why do some of the icons of transparent PNGs keep changing to a black background in Windows Explorer? They change back when I copy them and the images themselves are unchanged.

I ordered new build parts last week (MSI Z170M Mortar, i5-6600k, Corsair 2x8GB DDR4-2666 MHz, 550W EVGA power supply) and got them earlier this week. Put everything together, got it working, 6 hours later had a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD in the middle of installing shit, and trying to boot into Windows after that gave me any of about 8 different blue screen error codes, from SECURITY_KERNEL_CHECK_FAILURE to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I also got a kernel panic trying to boot any Linux LiveUSB. After stripping the system down to motherboard, power supply, CPU, power supply and one RAM stick, it still did this. I got the system to boot after a chance Leddit tech support post from a year ago about Skylake processors having a dead core and only working with an overclock. Lo and behold, setting a mild (3.5GHz to 4.2GHz) overclock and overvoltage got the system running.
This is gonna be a 2 part post, fuck

Continued
Since I was going to RMA the processor anyway, after a day I lowered the clock speeds back to their defaults in BIOS, and now the system won't even POST.

My question is: what are the odds that it's the i5-6600k shitting itself? Every symptom I had before the system wouldn't POST is identical to some Skylake defective CPU threads I came across.

lmaooooooo

you broke it user, good job.

What are some good intermediate C# books?

Can someone explain to me objects and classes in a basic technical manner without use of stupid analogies (I just want a straight answer for once)

>A class is a construct that enables you to create your own custom types by grouping together variables of other types, methods and events. A class is like a blueprint. It defines the data and behavior of a type.

fuck off

Does anyone have experience with competitieve programming websites like Topcoder, hackerrank or codeforce? Which one is the best to develop your skills and learn about algorithms?

you wanted a technical explanation, how are you not satisfied?

this is not me.

How do objects fit into it?

what is the best cheap chromebook that can be purchased in canada and can boot linux? i need 4gb of ram and preferably something that won't fall apart immediately

Mind posting that "I wish I was at home"-hiro?

right so truly dumb question coming through, is there any a way to set up password for connections to a network via Ethernet cable short of spending way too much money on a managed switch?

Any good music players for android. What I want
>ad free
>sorting by folder
>starting to play when inserting headphones
I've tried AIMP recently, but the folder view in it was retarded. It sorted like this:
/music_genre1
/album1
/album2
/music_genre2
/album3
instead of this:
/music_genre1
----/album1
----/album2
/music_genre2
----/album3

Thanks.

I'm looking to buy a new hard drive for media storage. Money isn't an issue per se but equally I'm not keen on the idea of spending money for the sake of it. Speed isn't a massive issue; HDDs are completely fine. I was thinking of going with a Toshiba X300 6TB, does this sound like a sensible option or can you suggest a better alternative?

Classes are custom types that you define by yourself.
Objects are complex variables which can contain other variables in them.
You can put functions in there which will operate upon the data in the object.

Out of the box you have things like boolean, int, double etc, which aren't enough to represent problems.
Say you want to draw a line on the screen. You need coordinates and a color to represent your data. You can go:
int x1, y1, x2, y2;
int color;

with classes you go:

class YourLine {
Point start, end;
Color color;
}

class Point {
int x, y;
}

class Color {
byte r,g,b,a;
}

//and then to create the object
YourLine line = new YourLine();

Everyone is posting about the new Ryzen CPUs but is AMD going to release any lower end CPUs to compete with the i3-6100?

in Q2

So what's the advantage of using object oriented programming languages with specific reference to class and object use?

Murach's is pretty nice.

All I can find is the 1300 for $175. But I don't see why I would bother with that when the i3-6100 already performs so well at 1080p for like $110. (and might even have another price drop when Ryzen 5 drops)

If you're smart you only have to write shit once.
But it's just an illusion. If you're smart, any language can do that for you.

The real reason is control. Object oriented languages usually have tons of safe-guards that prevent you and your colleagues from making beginner mistakes. If you're working in a team, these safe guards guarantee that the team leader can weed out obvious mistakes from the other team members without having to go through every line they write, saving him (and yourself) time.

per se
per se
per se
per se
per se

I have some experience with Linux and worked with NAS systems before.
I want to make a small homeNAS with raspberry pi + external hdd.
How hard would it be to make those files accessible on the go via internet?

If you have a static IP its quite simple, just set up port forwarding
If you have a dynamic IP you'll want to set up dynamic DNS

That's my icon on wangblows

>tfw we'll never be maple royals

Friend got a laptop, an ASUS X540SA just for kicks. A pretty cheap piece of garbage. I installed Windows 10 on it (it's the only OS supported too, no drivers for other platforms) and the thing kept having problems with cpu usage and slow everything. I decided to check DPC latency and I found the issue: The touchpad goes fucking crazy on latency. I tried with drivers both installed and uninstalled. If I install em, everytime there's some high CPU usage with any random program the cursor lags like shite.

Now, what do you suggest I could do other than suggest my friend to just not use the touchpad ever?

Where can I read more about digital video formats? Stuff like: bit-rate, codecs, etc.

wikipedia

RMA the laptop.

trac.ffmpeg.org/#Encoding

Can I fix this?
How do I work with such small wires?
Considering I can get a new heatsink and fan for $30, is it even worth trying?
I don't even need this laptop but now that I messed it up I want to fix it.

Find another cable with the bit that goes into the motherboard. You can cut it off any old fan you no longer use, or buy one. Then strip, splice, and solder the wires, and secure with hot melt.

What happens if I use my rooted phone to tether and my network finds out and dont have tethering in my plan?

How good of a programmer do I have to be to make a website that makes any profit?

Sprint sends a letter saying "stop that or pay us more"

How good a carpenter do I need to be to build a shop that makes any profit?

Solder is not absolutely essential here. Could just splice and tape them down.

solder it together

It's mostly about managing code complexity. OO provides you with a good framework to express concepts in simple, human readable terms. It allows you to effortlessly grow your code base through abstraction.

Being a carpenter isn't the same as being a programmer, any Cletus can become a carpenter, you actually need to be smart to be a programmer.

How can I make 7zip extract files by directory order instead of filename order? When I extract large archives with thousands of files and hundreds of folders it extracts in the following way:

DirA\file001
DirB\file001
DirC\file001
DirD\file001
DirE\file001

What I want is to extract like
DirA\file001
DirA\file002
DirA\file003
DirA\file004
DirA\file005

This makes seek times higher when I need to access all files in a directory.

I'm looking for an IPod Touch 5G case to cover my stupidity and my Ipod's frailty.
I knew a guy who had a shockproof case that came in three parts, but I want waterproof first. What should I get?

Does streaming a torrent, say a movie with popcorn time or web torrent reduce the quality of the video? I don't really see why it would but I'm wondering anyway.

thanks based user

No.

I have like 3 different fingerprint blockers but like it still tells me i can be tracked and tells me everything about myself which is true

Should I buy a nintendo switch?