Which OS is the leanest?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E4F1-DVNlHg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

DOS

>which OS is the leanest
the one that doesn't do anything. smaller the OS, shittier it is.

but macOS has the most OOTB functionality out of any OS. how do they make everything so lean?

templeos

They don't.
The other some hundred mb that are the browser engine are probably hidden as some "system library" so Apple can reuse it in XCode etc.

Safari's size isn't big because the engine and most of it's other functionalities are inside the system, that's why it only gets updated with every OS update.

Plan9

This. MS does the same with IE. Sure, iexplore.exe may only take 20MB of ram but don't forget about syshost.exe taking up several GBs

how come apple is so good at optimization?

They know their products so they know how to get the best out of them.

Still not on gentoo level.

the one Sup Forums made that one time.

>how come apple is so good at optimization?
>what is iTunes

>leanest

why isn't there an integrated browser for linux?

linhobos btfo!

they don't even have an integrated filebrowser, something both Windows and macOS hold so dearly that they relaunch them if they are quit.

Why would there. All they are is garbage that is to be replaced.

Actually there is one for gnome that is the first thing to be replaced in sane bistros.

iTunes is only shit on Windows

You're right. It's a big deal on YellowTab.

I'm so glad Pike is a cunt otherwise I would have to feel sorry for him.

>Linux
>integrated
do you even UNIX philosophy?

yeah right thats why they integrated ALSA... could as well integrate webkit

Why would you feel sorry for him?

how come American programmers make software that is 10x more robust while at the same time nearly 2x as lean?

how does apple manage to write the best software consistently? is it the architecture of macOS from the ground up?

^forgot pic

I use windows on pc and linux on laptop, but with the shit that Windows 10 is and general shittiness of Linux on desktop I truly belive that macOS is the best option for Just Works(tm) desktop experience.

This isn't even a question any more. Anyone who does actual work can't get it done in Windows with all its popups, automatic updates and tablet interface. Linux is out because it has no commercial software. macOS has the best window management too, especially with that trackpad, it's the best way to multitask.

I wish there was any competition because the laptops are stagnating but there isn't.

>>best window management

>no side by side snapping
>obnoxious retarded toolbar shadow
>no focus follows mouse
>no UNIX style copy-paste
>touch events other than primary and secondary only work with cocoa libs.
>animations out the ass
>choppy workspace transition animation
>dark toolbar somehow allows more window space than light bar.

it's fucking terrible only made slightly less terrible because of shit like amethyst.

It definitely has window snapping and focus follows mouse in the latest version

Give me i3wm and better Hackintosh compatibility with various hardware and I'll consider MacOS.

seL4.

FizzBuzz OS?

Ubersicht/Spectacle basically i3wm and you can pretty much run macOS on almost any hardware nowadays .. check tonymac's forum for your specs/advice

>What are TTYS / Terminals

I'll see about Tonymac, but I've tried Spectacle on MacOS and it doesn't really have nearly as many of the features as i3wm does, and you still end up with the same horrific desktop environment that has all of the same animations. I might triple boot it with Linux and Windows just to try it out, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=E4F1-DVNlHg

Neat. I'll give it a shot.

Arch linux is about 300mb after install, less than a gig with xorg, a wm, and chromium

>he uses a DE

arch is 80-90 mb without it ..

Lynx is enough for casual browsing

>80-90
lol no
>not using curl and text processors to remove the html tags

OpenBSD

OpenBSD's install image is even smaller than FreeDOS'.

This. By a landslide. TempleOS is only 17MB.

Because plan 9 was a complete failure.

Superior operating system coming through.