/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

Previous thread: →

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What's the alternative for x?
alternativeto.net
linuxalt.com
Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net
Gaming news:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: * Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gadgetdaily.xyz/compile-your-own-kernel-tutorial/
gadgetdaily.xyz/a-linux-conspiracy-theory/
github.com/paulkaefer/cowsay-files/tree/master/cows
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/Optimus
arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/not-ok-google-chromium-voice-extension-pulled-after-spying-concerns/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

stable for some kind of server, testing for anything else. testing is actually more stable in many cases, because the more recent packages have more bugfixes.

install gentoo

Why is there so much unnecessary hate for Red Hat? They're fixing the Linux world, and making new and better software.

I just installed playonlinux for the first time ever. I've wanted to play some windows games on steam, but some of the modding applications (fallout new vegas, etc.) require packages that can only be installed in a 32-bit prefix of wine when I've installed the 64-bit. It seems play on linux will allow me to have both at the same time and interchange between them reliably.

I see that there are a number of wine versions available in x86 and amd64.

My question is, is there a recommend version of wine that I should use or should I just install the latest version of wine for x86 and amd64?

Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® delivers military-grade security, 99.999% uptime.

what security programs is the military using?

Can someone explain me rofi's -dmenu option?
Sure, it's supposed to work like dmenu, but how I used dmenu was like rofi's run window.
You can add scripts, but what's the use if you manually have to call the script to pipe it into rofi? And I can't use it if I have to have a different keybind for each script.

McAfee

Are (tiling) window managers useful? What can they do that GNOME can't do?

Any mpd/alsa masters around?

I have two audio outs:

1) external AMP/DAC for headphones
2) monitor speakers connected over HDMI

Now, I'd like to setup alsa & mpd so when I play music, mpd doesn't do software decoding when sending audio to external AMP/DAC and I'd like to do software decoding when sending to monitor speakers... since I don't give a shit about quality when I use speakers.

How do I do this?

They work in a bubble and don't care about feedback.

kek

>Beyond just GNOME apps and tools being stripped of options, Red Hat employee and lead GNOME developer William Jon McCann was caught opening a bug report on the independent Transmission BitTorrent client telling the developers that its panel notification feature should be removed. Why? Merely because GNOME 3 no longer supports a panel: “Transmission has an option in the Desktop tab of the preferences to ‘Show Transmission icon in the notification area’. This should probably be removed.” Transmission developer Charles replied, “So now we can have three builds of Transmission that decide at compile time whether to use AppIndicator, GtkStatusIcon or nothing at all… Removing it altogether, as you suggest, will hurt Xfce users.” McCann replied, “I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an Xfce app unfortunately… And I have no idea what Xfce is or does, sorry. It is my hope that you are a GNOME app.” Charles’s reply to this: “*speechless*”.

>Can we really and seriously believe that William Jon McCann, described as one of the main driving forces behind the concepts of GNOME 3, doesn’t know what Xfce is? What are the consequences of having a large corporation like Red Hat (perhaps with strong influence from the ultra-wealthy Google) in control of widely used open source projects like GNOME and GTK, with its teams of developers routinely altering their APIs in unpredictable, erratic ways and offering no real support to independent projects using their libraries? It’s clear that with the advent of GNOME 3, GNOME has become a corporate product solely created for and controlled by Red Hat.
gadgetdaily.xyz/compile-your-own-kernel-tutorial/

wrong link gadgetdaily.xyz/a-linux-conspiracy-theory/

You mean like a desktop? Debian isn't a desktop OS. Use something like Ubuntu or Fedora or Haiku.

>Debian isn't a desktop OS
Debian works fine as a desktop OS. All you have to do is realize that being bleeding edge for the sake of being bleeding edge is pointless ricer crap, like the whole of Arch is. For the few packages where you actually care about staying current (protip: There's less than a half-dozen of them) there's backports.

"And I have no idea what Xfce is or does"

XFCE PLEBS ARE ON SUICIDE WATCH
>m-muh obscure, unmaintained DE...

Ubuntu isn't bleeding edge either, it just has a team dedicated to the development of a desktop environment, and an app store.

Help pls How do i pass my existing windows install to qemu+kvm?

Couldn't you just not use Windows? Keep that shit on your work computer.

Bleeding edge => you get updates to security holes quickly => you are less prone to security risks.
It’s also about security.

I can. But I prefer the flexibility of a vm.

Security fixes get backported.

I was super bored today, so i dug out muh netbook and installed debian on it

that is not true at all stable is far more secure

>C-60 APU 1GHz
>1024x600 screen
>Slow HDD speeds
Literally unusable.

SElinux

web browsing is a pain

wtf
they changed something and now gentoo install process is broken.

imo bleeding edge is the way to go, and it seems distro maintainers whats to take this path.

Personally I prefer using a bleeding edge distro because I like having the latest kernel, drivers, etc. since recent updates improved a lot my experience in games.

I tried debian testing but after some time went into some troubles. I guess it's quite normal for a distribution made for test purpose.

Ok, so I am have trouble adding a volume icon to my panel in XFCE. When I go to add new item I don't see any volume package.

I downloaded volumeicon package, which I can run from command line and it adds it to the panel. But, when I go to add new items I don't see it or any other volume managers listed.

What shitty bistro did you install that didn't have xfces configured with a simple volume slider by default?

>>imo bleeding edge is the way to go, and it seems distro maintainers whats to take this path.
They want to do that because it's easiest for them, not necessarily out of concern about whats easiest for you
>Personally I prefer using a bleeding edge distro because I like having the latest kernel, drivers, etc. since recent updates improved a lot my experience in games.
That's fine if you actually notice improvements and use the new things that are coming out. A lot don't, though. And without that the knowledge that you're on the latest version isn't worth anything. An older version with security support will be no practical difference and a lot less trouble, if someone, unlike you, isn't doing anything where improvements will be immediately noticed.
>I tried debian testing but after some time went into some troubles. I guess it's quite normal for a distribution made for test purpose.
Its normal for any rolling-release distro that keeps roughly current with the latest releases. Hence my assertion that most people would be happier on an LTS distro.

antergos, the volume icon was there in GNOME, but that DE was crashing a lot for some reason so I am trying out XFCE. I think the same thing with Slackware

>Dennis Ritchie, when asked about this issue, said that he hadn't thought very deeply about it, but was of the opinion that the ability to represent all times within his lifetime would be nice. Ritchie's birth, in 1941, is around Unix time −893 400 000, and his death, in 2011, was before the overflow of 32-bit time_t, so he did indeed achieve his goal.

you really don't need playonlinux, you're just stopping yourself from learning. read the wine manual and learn how to use it, it's simple. you'll have a greater understanding of what's going on and you'll have more chance of being able to solve problems yourself in the future

incredibly useful. having windows go to the most efficient places instead of you having to resize/move/resize etc just so the screen is useable is simply the way it should be

the best advice is to just try it. you'll quickly realise how powerful they are and how backwards floating wms are

Very useful to me.

I've started using them to better use a laptop (without mouse etc, plus with limited screen space) and then just started using them for everything.

> What can they do that GNOME can't do?
Handle a lot more windows more efficiently, and be more efficiently keyboard-controllable.

>Sup Forums shills GNU/Linux because it doesn't have a spying NSA botnet like windows 10
>The NSA literally developed a huge amount of the kernel

Rate my ASCII starfield.

printf '\ec\e[?25l';a=(. + o); while :; do printf '\e[38;5;%sm\e[%s;%sf%*s\e[m' \
$((RANDOM%7+230)) $((RANDOM%LINES+1)) $((RANDOM%COLUMNS+1)) $((RANDOM%COLUMNS)) \
${a[RANDOM%5]}; read -n 1 -t 0.01 && { printf '\e[?25h\ec'; break; }; done # fglt

nothing happens on zsh

It's a bash script.

> cowsay cowfiles collection:
github.com/paulkaefer/cowsay-files/tree/master/cows

>Handle a lot more windows more efficiently, and be more efficiently keyboard-controllable.
Not really, Gnome works almost exactly the same as i3, if you take five minutes to set it up .It even uses the same modifier key as i3. I use i3 on my laptop and Gnome on my multi display desktop. I like them almost equally.

I'm about to install Windows XP and Lubuntu on my laptop (coming from Windows 10), and I was wondering which order I should install them in for ease of dual booting.

pick hardened

put a shebang at the top of it and run

Windows first. The Linux boot loader then boots both, but installing it later will avoid many issues with the Windows installer going nuts over stuff it doesn't understand and/or Windows overwriting the Linux bootloader.

Thanks, I recalled that windows fucked with the bootloader, but I'd forgotten if it was on install or if it found out it was changed after the fact.

It's almost only on the first install.

Well, if you eventually do it in the wrong order you can pretty easily reinstall grub2 from a live stick, but I guess avoiding it altogether is simpler.

screenfetch or neofetch?

screen or tmux?

I have an old junk pc so i have to use puppy linux. I rather like it especialy because it doesnt make you have a hardrive like lubuntu and alot of other trash pc distros.

bash or zsh?

>Can anyone help me do thing?
>Why would anyone want to do thing?
I don't know how to answer the question, but you are being an ass.

The people have spoken.

Here is my lspci output for my laptop
I am running gentoo. How do I use that nvida graphics card ??? It is not VGA it is 3D controller.
Detailed solution required.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)
08:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8172 Fast Ethernet (rev 10)

install gentoo

debian or arch?

>debian or arch?
smear shit on your glass side panel

you have a nvidia optimus laptop
you need to setup bumblebee/optimus/

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/Optimus

good luck

>tfw dealt with my first rescue mode/grub corruption/system panic episode
>that scary feeling not knowing if my desktop would be a shitty default wipe when i fixed it
is this the price of freedom

qemu-kvm -drive /dev/,media=disk

note: I can't test this right now, but i think this is correct.

The reason no one wants to help you is because this is a really bad idea
it will also give you a warning about raw devices, ignore it.

I'm on xUbuntu 16.10, how do I get a trash folder set up and working properly on my 2nd hard drive? I've already tried copying and pasting my main HDD's trash folder to the 2nd one's root but that didn't work.

I'd really like to be able to just delete files on it by hitting the del key and not have to see this error message.
I get no error when running file manager as root by the way.

Recommendations for a non-systemd distro?
I'd consider myself an intermediate but lazy linux user.

When I tried to set that up in like 2010 it was an enormous clusterfuck that never did work properly. Is it better these days?

Nah m8. You'll run into problems no matter what you use. Successfully solving a problem because your OS gave you the tools to pop the hood and figure out what was wrong is the *reward* of freedom.

And now you learned something and are (hopefully) a bit more confident in your ability to solve problems.

GNU/Linux*

sounds like the drive isn't mounted correctly

Its almost a battle to keep a system from pulling in systemd
the easiest and most usable option is gentoo (not memeing, it defaults to OpenRC)

no, its either disable the dGPU and get a good battery life or
disable the iGPU and deal with +15C temps and no battery life
or deal with the semi-functional garbage that is Optimus.

iirc Optimus is the reason I gave my i7/745m laptop to my wife and just got a x220 for linux.

srsly, why does GNU push the GNU/Linux thing instead of GNU? it just confuses people, they happily accept Android being Androind with Linux as kenel and call it Android for example...

That rice looks amazing pls explain how
Or at least post font and colour scheme

It would not be false to the facts, but it is not the best thing to do. Here are the reasons we call that system version “GNU/Linux” rather than just “GNU”:

It's not exactly GNU—it has a different kernel (that is, Linux). Distinguishing GNU/Linux from GNU is useful.
It would be ungentlemanly to ask people to stop giving any credit to Linus Torvalds. He did write an important component of the system. We want to get credit for launching and sustaining the system's development, but this doesn't mean we should treat Linus the same way those who call the system “Linux” treat us. We strongly disagree with his political views, but we deal with that disagreement honorably and openly, rather than by trying to cut him out of the credit for his contribution to the system.
Since many people know of the system as “Linux”, if we say “GNU” they may simply not recognize we're talking about the same system. If we say “GNU/Linux”, they can make a connection to what they have heard about.

because you can have GNU without the Linux kernel
but you can't have Linux without something GNU, because you need GCC to build the kernel (officialy)
there are some Clang ports to build the Linux kernel however

and as autistic as it may or may not be, it is nice to be recognized for your contributions

Mostly it's because they're salty that Linux came around and stole their thunder. They think Linux took the future that rightfully belonged to them, so they want to claim credit for it.

Thanks, but this kind of divisiveness is part of why I've switched to BSD instead.
By all means keep fighting the good fight if you like, but know that the only war you will win will be against your fellow users, friend.

When we ask people to say “GNU/Linux”, we are not dividing people. We are asking them to give the GNU Project credit for the GNU operating system. This does not criticize anyone or push anyone away.

However, there are people who do not like our saying this. Sometimes those people push us away in response. On occasion they are so rude that one wonders if they are intentionally trying to intimidate us into silence. It doesn't silence us, but it does tend to divide the community, so we hope you can convince them to stop.

However, this is only a secondary cause of division in our community. The largest division in the community is between people who appreciate free software as a social and ethical issue and consider proprietary software a social problem (supporters of the free software movement), and those who cite only practical benefits and present free software only as an efficient development model (the open source movement).

This disagreement is not just a matter of names—it is a matter of differing basic values. It is essential for the community to see and think about this disagreement. The names “free software” and “open source” are the banners of the two positions.

The disagreement over values partially aligns with the amount of attention people pay to the GNU Project's role in our community. People who value freedom are more likely to call the system “GNU/Linux”, and people who learn that the system is “GNU/Linux” are more likely to pay attention to our philosophical arguments for freedom and community (which is why the choice of name for the system makes a real difference for society). However, the disagreement would probably exist even if everyone knew the system's real origin and its proper name, because the issue is a real one. It can only go away if we who value freedom either persuade everyone (which won't be easy) or are defeated entirely (let's hope not).

@59244597
Too late, already comfy using FreeBSD, the best of the *nix family operating systems.

Better luck next time

this sort of shit is why nobody likes bsd fags, while sharing the idea of free software, bsdfags always try to be the very special snowflakes, whats the point? why cant ppl just be friendly?

Friendly reminder that without RMS being an annoying faggot towards (the previous proprietary) BSD, it wouldn't be free like it is today.

thanks m8, I've only been using Linux for about a year

this, back in the days, bsd an gnu been working together and shared lots of code (you can see this when reading manpages, sections pointing out portability to bsd)
that whole bsd vs gnu thing is newfag cringe

>tfw nobody likes/runs/give feedback to your oc because Sup Forums deleted system32

Write a GTK3 thumbnail preview thingy.
Fame and wet chicks will come to you.

So it used to be that when the scroll bar was visible on chromium I could 3-finger-click and jump to that point

That is now broken, and if I want to move down many screens I must literally drag the scroll bar thing

help

why hardened?

nevermind, I changed something in flags so now the shitty scroll bars always display but I can three-finger-click to wherever

fucking regressions

>chromium
uninstalll that botnet

she likes it

but it works well

doesn't umatrix debotnet it adequately?

chromium is opensource cancer
there was an issue in the past on debian's mailinglist where some guy reported that chromium was silently downloading a binary that listened to your microphone, creepy shit
related: arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/not-ok-google-chromium-voice-extension-pulled-after-spying-concerns/

never trust open source

imho all current browsers are shit
there are only two options:
- ff nightly with tweaked about:config
- or simply icecat

or alternativly, don't give a shit about privacy
nowadays firefox is the same botnet as google chrome, so choosing chrome/chromium instead of ff isn't really bad (welp, chromium being proprietary may be an additional security probelm)

chrome being proprietary*

Hey Sup Forums, what's the distro you'all been sattled to after all distro hopping? I want to save some years of my life and benefit from your advises.

you've got that the wrong way round. It's Google you can't ever trust.

>>doesn't umatrix debotnet it adequately?
Nope. It still talks to Google and unless you're willing to compile it yourself with the ungoogled-chromium patch set, you can't stop it. Well, or you could dump Google domains into your hosts file, but then you have to keep up with all the domains they use. Among other things it reports every site you visit to the mothership with Google Safebrowsing, (Firefox has this too and it's on by default, but you can at least turn it off) and for certificate-transparency stuff. Now certificate transparency is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but not when the only log server it'll talk to is Google's.

>nowadays firefox is the same botnet as google chrome
Out of the box, yes. Difference being that in Firefox you can at least turn this shit off.

my 2cents:

Install Noobuntu, use it till you know your way around GNU/Linux, then set up Debian with your preferred stuff and stick with it.

Install Source Mage GNU/Linux.

You can turn safe browsing off on chromium...

Is Solus good? Right now I have windows and Arch (i3) on dual boot, but my drives are getting full so I will wipe them. The screenshots do look nice on it, but that's pretty much everything I know about it. The screenshots did have solarized terminals, is it default? I love solarized

You can turn off telemety in Windows 10...

>I love solarized
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee