/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.ie/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-i5-2-Gen-2-50GHz-4-GB-RAM-320GB-HD-B-Ware-/332144403869?hash=item4d5559659d:g:dLsAAOSw4CFYueD8
ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-T420-2-5-GHz-i5-2520M-320-HDD-4-GB-14-Display-QWERTZ-Grade-A-Akku-90-W-/122349802282?hash=item1c7c9dd32a:g:c4oAAOSwr~lYnc4Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

EVERYONE POST YOUR IDLE/LOAD TEMPS

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

T420 45/75 C HERE

What is the most aesthetic ThinkPad and why is it the T530?

The new keyboard looks like shit

T420 quad core here

~40c/~80c, cpu fan turned off until 50c

t530 with drop in i7 3720qm
idle 45 degrees
prime 95 load low 90s

Stupid question here. Is it safe to remove individual keys in a t430 keyboard with backlit to clean them?

7th for thinktrap, and for hoping that he uploads more videos

Wouldn't recommend trying to pop keys out of any laptop keyboard desu. Just remove the keyboard and shake the shit out of it, and surgically go under the keys with cotton swabs.

>tfw you buy an ssd for your memepad and it has coil whine

So I heard that using the computer plugged in at 100% battery is bad, what about at 80%?

Nigga just like set the battery stretches nigga you dumb or what ahahaha

Does anyone think that they're trackpoint-ly ambidextrous?

When I'm eating/fapping with my right hand I feel just as comfortable and capable using the trackpoint with my left.

Just got one for $180

If the keys are shit can I pop a T510 keyboard on?

Yea. I prefer to use my left hand though.

Wanting to buy my first thinkpad here, going for a x220 or T420, is ebay the best place to look for one or are there any other good sellers?

Does anyone have experience with chinese thinkpad batteries? Do they work as advertised? Can they cause any harm?

T420 i5
Idle: 39~40
Load: 75

X220 i5-2520M
50-54
88-90

are y'all niggas running tpfancontrol?

god damn what the fuck is wrong with Lenovo, how hard could it be to just release a bios with a higher active trip point?

the jews did this.

Second year uni and I deal with a lot of work on my computers. I use my x61 on campus but it really doesn't have the power I need. How better off would I be upgrading to the X220?

make it a x230, the hd4000 is 2x better.

No i'm running macos, modified the SSDT with the temperatures to turn off/automanage the fan.

Is it substantially worth the extra cash? Kind of got to keep the wallet tight.

if you dont give a shit about x230 being 2x better at gaymen then a x220, then it's not worth it.

Compare CPU and GPU benchmarks and figure it out for yourself. The difference is substantial enough given the price, but nobody here knows your personal needs or exact prices for your local market.

>2x
>citation needed

>gaymen

I don't game.

Im sick of cunts shilling the x220 over the x230 where i live they are priced near identically and a x220 keyboard can be fitted onto the x230 with no issues at all with an embedded controller flash. There is legit no reason to buy the x220 over the x230 you get slightly worse battery life with 40-50% worse iGPU performance.

If you had to choose between a Dell Latitude and a Dell Precision, what would you pick and why?

good screen recorder for t420? Looking for a very basic yet lossless software. just displaying information

You can but it will require modifications to the connector and a BIOS flash. Besides, if the keyboard feels like shit it's probably worn. The key mechanism is exactly the same as on previous models. It's just the layout that has changed.

OBS

I'm right handed but I use it with my left hand.

I also masturbate with my left hand. Funny story actually. When I was 13 I noticed a slight bend to the left in my dick (which is really minimal and completely normal as I now know). This got me worried. I though it came from masturbating with my right hand so I switched to the left to correct it. Now I can't use my right hand anymore.

T500 with c2d p8600
>40c - 70c
ati 3650
>50c - 96c

STOP FUCKING WATCHING ME WHAT THE FUCK HOW DO YOU KNOW MY LIFE GET OUT OF MY THREAD GIVE ME BACK MY DICK AND MASTURBATING METHODE THANKS I WAS THE FIRST

I could say the same thing about you. Is this for real?

i invert my left hand so we prob differ there

if not. watch ur back cause theres only room enough for one of us in this world

LMAO WTF same thing happened to me. I remember reading that your right side of your body is slightly larger than the left side. Maybe that happened to our dicks. I worried about right handing too much but I never switched and the bend didnt get worse. I've also had friends who are lefties say that theirs bends to the left too, so maybe its just pretty common.

I'm trying to install debian on my t420i and I'm struggling. What's a Linux build that would install seemlessly with the og hardware?

Ubuntu. It's the answer to everything. It's the only Linux Distro that's worth considering.

Fedora

No

But it is. It's the only useful distro currently available.

They're all the same fucking thing with different paint.

Google Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu and of course Ubuntu.

Try them out and see which you prefer, they'll all work flawlessly

Well I'm in a pickle now. I had already wiped my drive for debian and have no OS or live USBs ATM. Anyway to install Ubuntu straight from ISO without using something like Rufus? I downloaded it with my phone

order an install media with your phone

>not having at least 2 working PCs
What the hell are you doing on Sup Forums then?

You won't be able to install from your phone. Could you tell us what exactly your problem is with Debian? Maybe we can troubleshoot and make it work.

Dude, you don't wipe your hard drive and try to install an OS you have never installed before without having at least one backup computer to fix shit in case something goes wrong.

Nvm using drivedroid app

> Does anyone have experience with chinese thinkpad batteries?
Yes.
> Do they work as advertised?
Almost never.
> Can they cause any harm?
Having disassembled quite a few, several were big shorts waiting to happen. That said, I've not had one cause actual harm.

Do I need to "install third party software" when setting up Ubuntu gnome?

Anyone have an old X series (X40, X41, X60 etc) that I could masturbate to?

Depends. Do you want to play proprietary media formats (MP3, MP4 etc)?

Well I finished install but it doesn't do anything after I restart. Just staring at a black screen

What does that have to do with third party software? Sounds like there's something wrong with the installation.
Do you see GRUB?

It asked me if I want to install 3rd party so I clicked yes. All I see is a blinking white cursor at top left of screen. I'm gonna just give up and cry in the corner till my mom gets home from the strip club

Third party software has nothing to do with this. This option is there to enable playback of proprietary media formats.

What's really important: BEFORE you see a black screen, does the GRUB menu show up?

Hit
>CTRL+ALT+F1
and tell me what happens

Nothing happens. This is all I see after installing on my 250 GB m2

>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

No

Fuck off

Nothing happens. If I press right after it restarts I just get taken to bios screen

You're not OP so you should fuck off. Nigger.

Reinstall Ubuntu. I guess GRUB is installed to a wrong partition. It's fixable but that's complicated. Did you set the partitions up yourself when you installed Ubuntu?

I'll have to give up for tonight. I've tried twice. Both times I selected wipe entire drive for encrypted install but always get same problem. I just don't want to go back to Windows 7

If it has failed several times, you might have faulty a faulty installation medium.
Here you said you used Rufus? I've had problems with that before. You should use Universal USB Installer.

>faulty a faulty installation medium.
I don't know what I did there but you get the idea. If you don't have a backup computer you're shit out of luck.

drivedroid if you have a rooted android phone

otherwise, win32diskimager

or dd on macOS

rufus ain't for linux

Does anyone know what are proper idle temperatures on an x220 so I have a point of reference?

45C-50C from my experience. Depends on air temperature.

I'm thinking of buying second hand x220 for college.
CPU: Intel i5-2520M
RAM: 8Gb DDR3
HDD: SATA 250Gb
VGA: Intel HD Graphic 3000
It's 195 euros, so 205 dollars.
Do you guys think it's worth the price?

That's a good price for Europe. I paid 250€ for mine with the same specs except it has 4GB RAM.

I have some money to splurge on my x230 still undecided to go with:
dock + 120gb msata ssd
or
240gb 2,5 ssd.
Kinda leaning towards the first option for practical reasons though.

Not bad if it's in decent shape.

I paid 245 for a thinkpad that was in very good condition except the keyboard, which had 1 broken key retainer. It had the same specs except for a 128gb SSD.

Does the mSATA port on the x230 support SATA III or II? I would go for the first option then later on grab a (more easily available) bigger SATA SSD later on.

It's a shame that I didn't research it further and got an x220 instead of an x230 and that mSATA port is limited.

Actually not that bad. I paid around 170EUR for the same, but i got very lucky here in Denmark. Really depends on your location.

I think it's Sata II, still better than a mechanical drive though.

Yeah it is.

As I have a 1TB hard drive on my desktop as storage and don't have that much trouble with it, I considered grabbing a 512gb mSATA drive as storage for this little thing. I'm not sure if it's too much of a waste of money.

If I want to remove stickers from the palmrest on my thinkpad, is it safe to take the palmrest out, then apply some heat to it? I'm not good with taking out stickers any other way than using a fucking hair dryer.

the fuck?
I just peeled them off and removed any adhesive with alcohol..

Precision, it's the better in Dells good, better and best lineup.

Thinking of T420 with 2540M, 8GB ram, 320 hdd, 1600 900

170good price?

Anyone here A) speak German and B) can see any reason why I shouldn't cop?

ebay.ie/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-i5-2-Gen-2-50GHz-4-GB-RAM-320GB-HD-B-Ware-/332144403869?hash=item4d5559659d:g:dLsAAOSw4CFYueD8

Interested about the price aswell

t:

>mit starken Gebrauchsspuren, Touchpad abgenutzt, Gehäuse abgenutzt, kleine helle Stellen oder Kratzer auf dem Display
Da hast du es eigentlich schon. 150€ ist zwar attraktiv, aber 50€ mehr sollte dir das ganze dann doch wert sein. Wenn das Geld so knapp ist, dass 200€ (für einigermaßen gute B-Ware) nicht drin ist, dann solltest du vielleicht deine Prioritäten überdenken.

Is this real? Never heard of such an issue. What's the brand and size of the ssd?

ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-T420-2-5-GHz-i5-2520M-320-HDD-4-GB-14-Display-QWERTZ-Grade-A-Akku-90-W-/122349802282?hash=item1c7c9dd32a:g:c4oAAOSwr~lYnc4Q

gesundheit

Installing windows 7 to make my thinkpad great again

Should I just choose legacy or UEFI?

samshit 850 evo msata 250gb

Didn't believe it was the ssd either but it happens whenever there's read/write operations and the HDD led turns on, according to google i'm not alone.

So is 170€ good for T420?

It is but at that price you can expect some drawbacks like scratches or damage to the case or screen. Maye worn hinges.

For the price is it good if in good shape with everything works? Alternatively, would x220 for 160 be better? (i5-2520M, 128GB SSD, 8GB, bad battery).

Usually the smaller X series models aren't cheaper than the T series. Actually they cost more most of the time. But for both of them it's a fact that you won't get grade A machines for that price. Everything will work but it won't look good and in some cases won't feel good. I'd say, don't buy one for less than 200€ without physically inspecting it.

So would i rather jump the x230 if it's better? Performancewise would the t420 be better? Upgradeability?

W520

If you want to upgrade you probably want a T series because you can swap the CPU on those. If you leave it stock a T series will be the exact same as the corresponding X series (except the T series offers dGPU).
For example, the T430 has the same CPU and RAM options as the X230.

So, the X230 will have better graphics performance than the T420 except if it's a T420 with dGPU. CPU performance doesn't differ all that much between these though.

>user considers X series
>proposes W series

idiot

the t420 and x220 use the same SandyB processors while the t430 and x230 use the same IvyB processors.

In upgradeability between X and T you lose an extra drive and upgradeable processor so no big deal.

Yep. I don't see why you would want to upgrade the CPU on a laptop anyways. I've always thought of them as all in one machines that you just dump when they're too old. The option can be useful if the CPU is broken though.

He's considering the T420 as well, and the W520 only weights .40lbs more. Well worth it for the screen quality.

Whatever you don't get the 768p T420. To upgrade the screen you'll need to spend $20 on a cable + $60 on the screen, with the end result barely any better. (It's horrendous)