THE GREAT DEBATE

strawpoll.me/12465411

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4iu2t3/4k_60fps_vs_1440p_144hz/
youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSRTYV8e0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

4k is a meme.

1440p 120Hz ULMB

1440p is for people who can afford a good monitor but cant throw their shekels away whenever they want

144hz is a meme.

i just plug the hdmi cable into a tv
tvs don't have high enough standards to worry about

4K 144Hz

both monitors are usually about the same price

1080p 60hz here, my chinese cartoons are already upscaled enough thank you very much

4k 60Hz is fucking garbage.

t. never used one

where did the 144hz meme start? /r/pcmasterrace?

Are you playing gaymes?
144hz
Are you watching movies?

Fast arcade shooters

Anything above 1080p is a shitty meme unless you're like 60 inches+

It's only benefit is to top-tier literal professional gamers, the benefits being a few ms faster and that TN panels have weak blacks, so it gives you an advantage in dark areas.

If you want your games to look good, even if you are a gaming enthusiast, get 4k.

sure have, shit for brains. using one now. it's fucking garbage. 144Hz all the fucking way!

i can detect that you are not telling the truth

none, native 1080p for everything at 240hz fucking absolute godrace non-negotiable

For gaming 1440p 144hz.
For productivity 4k 60hz.

>i can detect that you are not telling the truth
eat your words.

>gaming enthusiast
>4k
No. Just no.

refresh rate has been so fucking over memed. knobs take their gaymen "experience" too seriously

Man, FPS gamers are so retarded. If I listen to one more 19 year old talk about how important it is to have FPS five times larger than their monitor's refresh rate "because of mouse input" I'm going to shove the WinAPI manual down their neck.

16k @ 1,728hz

Rrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeedit!

>muh 144hz

you are the real reddit

reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4iu2t3/4k_60fps_vs_1440p_144hz/

Wouldnt mind if you stopped tracking me. But the real question is can you track my iPad resolution?

i would like 4k 60fps for single player relaxing games and then 1440p 144hz for online multiplayer games that require precision.

im leaning towards 4k because i can only see 144hz being a benefit for online shooters. anything else you guys think its good for? fighting games are locked to 60fps anyway, and moba and rts games and such i hardly imagine would benefit from fast refresh.

>Wouldnt mind if you stopped tracking me.
Done. I've stopped my psychic tracking.

>How...how did you do this?
Which part confuses you, user?

You can't tell the difference between the two from viewing distance, brainlet.

For that reason, you should go for the higher frame rate.

tick rate of battlefield one servers is 60hz anyway

>have 1440p 60hz IPS
>have 1080 144hz TN

best of both worlds
play ck2 on the IPS, play overwatch on the TN
they're good for different things

>no 1600p 120Hz mustard race

Come on man, some of us run CRT's

4K 100hz

>144hz is important for accuracy in a setting that involves adding a random amount of delay and has mechanics which are handled server-side with a fixed tick-rate which has nothing to do with the client display.
100% placebo.

I play FPS games like CSGO, Overwatch, and Battlefield at 1080p 144hz. I got the 144hz monitor after my 60hz one died. You will notice it's much smoother with the right hardware, I'm pretty casual but I haven't noticed my skill improve at all. If I had to buy a new monitor today, I'd probably go 1440p or 4k at 60hz, because 144hz hasn't been significant enough for me to justify spending the extra money.

That's just my opinion, keep in mind I don't play these games super competitively.

I sit less than a foot from my monitor so yes I can

Neither

I've tested ULMB 120hz vs natural 144hz and 144hz is better.

For reaction time games at last

the answer is 8k 240 hz.
period.

Anyone who would prefer 4K over 144Hz has never used a 144Hz monitor.

i cant go back to 60hz after having 144hz in my life

1440p 144hz now
4k 144hz in a few years

I have and I prefer my 4k one

1080p 60hz
Why would I need more

>144Hz
Sup Forumsirgin
>4k
Sup Forumsentooman

/thread

1080p 144Hz is the patrician choice

You have it backwards: Sup Forumsirgins are the ones always creaming their pants about "MUH 4K" whereas Sup Forumsentoomen actually care about things that matter, like frequency.

this is why I haven't upgraded from 1080p 60fps yet

I'm poor.

I enter this kind of threads to cry.

suck my dick for a twenty?

Lmao, nice lies, faggot

frequency only matters for quickly moving images whereas you want higher resolution to display more information/text

save up

Osu is a thinking man's game

this is wrong. the difference between 60 hz and 144 hz is night and day.

Anyone who chooses 1440p 144hz should fuck off back to

100 4K 60 monitors available
6 1440p 144hz monitors available

What is a high refresh rate even good for besides gayming? I don't do that anyways. I might consider upgrading to 1440p for more screen space.

wut

The human eye can't see above 1fps so why does it matter?

why didnt you add "I literally do not care" to the vote?

>CSGO, Overwatch, and Battlefield
you are a fucking meme
commit self-murder

to stop faggots like you

>stop liking what I don't like!
What about racing games?

My answer would depend on whether the human eye can sample more than 30hz

this isn't Sup Forums my autistic nigga

4k is a meme.
all it does is weaken your gpu

it's funny because 144hz literally is a meme

>4k
>more on screen

>144hz
>"""""""smoother""""""" movement

Yeah, why aren't we at 64k yet?

Who said anything about having a framerate faster than their refreshrate besides a frame or two? Who ever does? The only time I hear this is in Call of Duty where it literally allows you to jump higher.
I'll assume you're retarded and just pissed off about high refreshrates instead. Here's a cool story: one day I accidentally locked myself to 60hz in Serious Sam. I wasn't doing so well, I complained my that my aim felt "delayed" while struggling to track enemies as they fly by me. 144hz unlocked, my sense fluidity and presence doubled, making it far easier to kill and switch targets.

tl;dr You're a jelly faggot, and 144hz feels better than 4k if you're a gaymer

I have a 27in 1440p 144hz monitor and like it a ton. I have a 4k 60hz screen at work for tasks and it is nice as well.

Someone else mentioned 4k for single player and 144hz for multiplayer shooters and such. That's my preference too, but I prefer the 'smoothness' over the sharpness of 4k

I like 1080p at 60Hz on an IPS screen

>Are you watching movies?
>4k

Enjoy the pixelated mess of your HDRips

why does her hair make out cat ears? what is this obsession with fucking animals :(

framerate over resolution

youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSRTYV8e0

And yet you are still stuck in silver league in your league of losers gayme. Difference is literally not even fucking visible for anything that is not csgo or similar gaym and even then there are better ways at getting good than sending more of your mums money to merchant.
I mean, sure you can start moving your cursor around like a fucking madman and be like "look you can see how much better my 144hz is!!!" but why would you?
For majority of shit that you will be doing on PC you are not going to utilize this retarded refresh rate. And by that I mean working, watching movies, browsing internets, even for majority of gaymes 144hz won't make much difference.

Nothing.

120Hz is twice the meme

1080 @ 60 Hz

>Use computer for work
4k, scaling is shit though on winbotnet

>Use computer for games
If you play online FPS, 1440p
If you play AAA and has flagship GPU, 4k

Richfag usally has a dedicated monitor for gaymin and for work anyway.

1440p 60Hz because I don't play gaymes.
Even if I did, the only games that would benefit from absurd refresh rates like that are twitch shooters, which I didn't play even as a child.

stupid question

The physical resolution limit for the light of two sources diffracted through a circular hole is given by the formula Θ=1.22*λ/D. Considered an average wavelength of 500nm, and an average aperture of the pupil of 5mm, the angular resolution of the human eye is roughly 1.2E-4 rad.

This means that an human eye can't physically tell two pixels that are less than 0.1mm apart when seen from 1m distance, so basically at that distance, or higher, every monitor with a resolution of 250ppi or higher is useless. At half the distance, the limit doubles. A 4k 27 inch monitor has a pixel density of 163 ppi.

This means the human eye can perceive the difference between a 4k and a 1080p monitor from average viewing distances. This means that buying a 4k @ 60Hz screen is better than buying a 1440p @ 144Hz screen.

you can't go back from 144hz monitor, it just feels too good

>running at less than 1 Ghz
top pleb

768p 60hz enough for me.

>you will never need bigger than 128Mb HDD

actual engineers are not luddite scum
at least that soothes my mind about humanity fate

yeah because screen resolution has anything to do with performance.

4k 60hz to avoid the cancer that is TN panels

thats size, how about speed?

It's not about never needing. It's about cost/benefit analysis. 144Hz provides no benefit for anyone except assfaggots players at a great cost. 4k screens provide no benefits to the majority of people, professional or casual, at great cost. Eventually both of these features will be priced such that cost/benefit doesn't matter, but that day is not today.

>144Hz provides no benefit for anyone except assfaggots players at a great cost.
it provides increased quality of life= worth it
get 144hz monitor first, experience it, than talk about benefits

You are literal retards. I have a 60hz screen right now and even though you get used to it, it is so fucking tiresome.

Just switching to 75Hz you can already tell the difference just looking at the desktop, it is easier on the eyes, it feels much smoother.

I'm not telling you I need 144Hz for anything other than playing stupid FPS gaymes, but going anything below at least 75Hz is fucking retarded unless you are a poorfag like myself, 85Hz is the patrician choice, you need no more and no less than that for a natural smooth image and a healthy environment for your eyes that have to stare at it for hours.

I'm think of getting a 1080p 85hz monitor when I save some bucks.

For 1440p I'm in a very small place and would be too much.

4k is literally fucking retarded for anything except watching movies, what the actual fuck is wrong with you autistic spergs? Is like you have no sense of how to use things, if tomorrow an 8K display comes out you'll use it for WORK in your PC? You make me sick.

This board is full of fucking idiots that do not know how to use technology.

>Increased quality of life
Lol. Most media is 24fps. People doing real work or scrolling Facebook aren't going to care if their scrolling or mouse movements look slightly smoother. The one and only place 144Hz provides a real benefit is assfaggots and RN:GO.

>You can tell the difference just looking at the desktop. It is easier on the eyes
Stopped reading here.

Stay in denial.

>Static image looks better because the refresh rate is higher
Everything you said after that is suspect and likely delusion.

Ever seen one of these images? This is basically what you just said.

8k 240hz oled

>dead end resolution for muh gaymin
meaningless argument
not much longer before 4k 100+hz