Touch Typing

I am currently learning programming.
I do not touch type. I am able to type at ~40 WPM.
Should I learn to touch type? Or is it not worth the effort?

Other urls found in this thread:

zty.pe/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Its one of those things that'd be a good idea, but its not strictly necessary. Usually people who learn are glad they did though.

You don't have to put effort into learning it

Just put a piece of paper over your hands when you type, and peek only if you cannot remember where a key is.

You'll learn touch typing automatically.

If you want more practice, just grab a used copy of Mavis Beacon or something

Also try games like this while forcing yourself to not look at the keyboard:

zty.pe/

how can you not know how to touchtype? anyone under the age of 35 knows how to type type. are millennialshits too use to ipads that they didn't get exposed to keyboards since 5 years old?

A lot of people that spend a lot of time at a keyboard but without proper instruction develop idiosyncratic typing styles that might or might not technically be touch typing (that is, they can type without looking at the keys) but that are pretty slow compared to proper technique.

keep your index finger on the f/j home row that's it. typing isn't always about speed either, because you won't ever be typing at 200wpm unless you're pajeet that spend 12 hrs a day transcribing abacus logs. coding and writing takes immense about of thinking that most of the time you're typing at very average speeds.

No one is replying whether or not it is worth the effort.
Is it?
Especially when someone is learning something already related to typing i.e. programming?

You type like a pussy desu

i type at over 110 WPM in english and its not even my first language lmao

>noone tells me how smart and special i am, pls guys acknowledge me

>doesn't capitalize
>doesn't punctuate
>brags about typing ability
Huehuehue!

I am not an attention seeker.
I just wanted to know if it (learning touch-typing) is worth doing. If yes, then is it possible to do it simultaneously while learning programming.

>caps
>punctuation
>grammar
found an old fart
grammer is ded. git over it

muah grammar on Sup Forums

ur fucking stupid man ... just TYPE .. shitpost on Sup Forums ... join chat rooms, type type type and you will learn it ... idk how anyone can think about this so much.

Its just something you do?!?! Theres no 'learning' it .. it happens over time through practice.

It certainly improves efficiency. You don't have to move your eyes between the monitor and keyboard frequently.

>40 wpm
that's pretty poor even for non-touch typing, not to turn the thread into a pissing contest but i type about 90wpm and i don't touch type (i type without looking but dont use home row). And 90wpm isn't even a hugely fast speed, I'm sure a lot of people here are even faster. Maybe learning to touch type would help to speed you up.

I think it's worth it but not necessarily for the reason you think it is. You don't need to be fast at typing to write code. Your productivity isn't capped by your typing speed, unless you transcribe speeches or something. You just look more professional if you know how to touch type.

The thing is this. When I start touch typing while programming, my focus shifts from the program to the position of the keys.
I know this is bad. But what I wanted to know was was it worthwhile to do this i.e. sacrifcing my focus on concepts.

>i type without looking
that's literally touch typing senpai

nigga i type faster on my phone

learn to type