So why aren't you using Ubuntu, user? do you like making your life harder than it needs to be...

so why aren't you using Ubuntu, user? do you like making your life harder than it needs to be? consider that it's the distro of choice for many major developers

elementaryOS is best ubuntu desuuuuuuuuuuu OwO

>consider that it's the distro of choice for many major developers

Oh well, this explain why most of the webApp takes 1 GB of ram to render a fucking text and crashes like hell.

DE is shit

Not an argument
just install a different one

...and I'm an Arch user. Ubuntu is fine, but only fine. Not great.

you're gonna think i'm mad but what if you used a different DE, like MATE or XFCE for example

>consider that it's the distro of choice for many major developers

Many major developers are also gay. Why aren't you taking a dick in your ass right now, do you like making your life harder than it needs to be?

Because i have a job.

>implying i'm not

Ubuntu is the only Linux I use

shill thread confirmed by this comment

user, fixing arch every day of the week doesn't count as a job

>neo Sup Forums cant even install a fucking DE

Ubuntu Gnome masterrace.

>implying Sup Forumstards should use spyware

yet half of them use windows 10 or macOS

Because Debian is better in every way.

any fag can tell me if urxvt shading only works for fake transparency?

Simple. Ubuntu is a buggy bloated mess with outdated software.

It's fine. Actually one of the better DEs.

It
just
werks

Bad support for AMD CPU architecture in linux sadly

Why would you shill free software?
The only people I see doing that are the MPV / MadVR autists.

forced to use that abomination with win10
>isn't source based
>much harder to use
>much more restrictive
>less flexible
than gentoo ever was
if distros were women, ubuntu would've been that whore that's too fat to be shopped enough to be placed onto a cover
meanwhile gentoo is that timeless centerfold

>much harder to use
are you allowed to use sharp objects?

Because actual developers use Fedora?

Because 90% of kernel developers use Fedora, thus fedorians getting the best kernel experience?

Ubuntu is easier to use than w10. It's one of the few distributions that are better than windows.

harder to use because of restrictions and lack of flexibility
source based distros are infinitely more user friendly

that's like saying an empty canvas is more user friendly that a coloring book

after swapping explorer.exe with total commander for the log on shell in the regestry, win10 became simple, basic, and even almost ideal
windows without explorer is the only way I can use it now

Because this

Wtf you're saying ?

a coloring book comes with predefined, child safe, and fag police approved shapes and outlines, an empty canvas presents limitless possibilities

but it's not more user friendly. User friendly means easy to use. A novice user will find Ubuntu infinitely more usable than gentoo. They wouldn't even know how to install anything

just changed the log on shell from explorer.exe to a much better 3rd party program

sending the user down a predetermined path and making decisions for them, isn't friendly

freedom is friendly

gentoo's lack of inhibitions is what every user needs

you're mistaking plenty of options for lack of inhibitions. You would have a point if you could fire up the terminal, write "install (some program that only comes in 32 bit) and the terminal converts it to the appropriate emerge command, enables multilib, applies the appropriate USE flags for your system and gives you a desktop link

having to sit down and read a wiki to use your OS is not user friendly, it's power user friendly

>enables multilib, applies the appropriate USE flags
you decide about multilib when configuring your make.conf
and USE flags change per package, giving you countless options, like being able to choose what to build against, and selecting features

>power user friendly
computers in general are power user friendly

gentoo is more user friendly than ubuntu because of the amount of control ubuntu takes away from the user, masking lack of choice for easiness

so I guess LFS is the most user friendly of them all

LFS has its own restrictions

so does gentoo

don't kid yourself, gentoo's package manager is infinitely more capable than ubuntu's
I guess driving a stick vs automatic is a decent analogy
pro automatic people will say "when driving a stick you have to manually switch gears"
and pro stick people will say "exactly!"

I am using Ubuntu. I've tried pretty much all the major distro's out there, but I keep coming back to the buntu's because they're just so damn comfy.

>inb4 muh ancient packages
People who say this never need the newer packages.

I just installed xubuntu on recommendation of a friend, it's pretty comfy. Probably gonna be my main desktop distro for a while

Install Arc-Dark theme and Papirus dark icons for maximum comfy

because I use Linux Mint. Ubuntu is an african distro and Mint is the evolved European version of it

Windows 7 and Linux Mint Cinnamon dual boot

>Mint is the devolved kiddo friendly version of it
ftfy

I hadn't got around to theming it yet, but will try these later. Thanks user

I use KDE Neon because I couldn't be fucked with fucking around with drivers and proper font rendering and shit for Arch, even though I prefer rolling release distros.

MAC/Linux/10

Install xubuntu.

Mint is linux stripped of all the autism and functionalities nobody really needs (although if you really wanted to, you still could access them through your dear command line)

>Mint is linux stripped of all the functionalities
Can't argue with you there. They should call it Ubuntu Gimped desu.

I'm using xubuntu so I assume that counts

>he doesn't use Directory Opus
laughinggirls.iff

Hey fellow user of best distro

Because mint i like mint more

manjaro-tard here
though i've triend few distros, manjaro seems to me the happy medium. it doesn't want to stick it's terminal up my ass every time possible; but it has AUR and imo great to get started if you wanna be 'that guy'

>fedorians

Because arch is simpler. Had lots of problems at work with ubuntu until I told IT to remove the bios password and let me install arch.

Fuck I wish I was a hot tanned girl that uses arch linux.

Archer here, gotta say it's the best. I use it on my laptop, I use it for docker containers, I even used it as the proof of concept for an enterprise server. Packages are a breeze, systemd is awesome. I was giving a demo of JIRA one day & we had to run a local instance for some reason. Anyway on a hunch I ran `yaourt jira`, and lo and behold it's in the aur. 30 seconds later we're running the server & looking like the baddest asses ever.

Why gentoo? (or gentoo-based distros) Several reasons:
Portage is amazing. It offers USE flags, which allow you to compile your applications however you want them to. Ever had that issue where you can't use the clipboard on vim? Doesn't happen on gentoo, just compile using the 'X' flag.
> inb4 needing to learn pointless bullshit like an autist
That's why you can use Porthole, a GUI applications specifically for interfacing with Portage. Supported by the gentoo developers. If you're on an installed gentoo distro, and have no idea how to use Portage (correctly), just run emerge porthole and then porthole. Just search for the desired application, and you can pick and choose all the compilation flags you need. They're pretty self explanatory
> inb4 compiling your packages every time.
Portage supports binhosts, libraries of precompiled packages that, on distros like Calculate Linux binhosts are set up by default, and theirs is pretty nice and up-to-date

> inb4 rolling release distros
Gentoo IS NOT rolling release -- Well, it sort of is. Portage has another awesome feature called package masks. If you use Debian, you know the struggle of sacrificing stability for stale packages. You can try using Debian sid, but it's on the other end of the fucking spectrum, where the stability can be likened to something like Arch. The beauty of Gentoo is that you can install whichever package versions you want, with very few issues. Being on Debian stable and trying to install Python 3.6 is going to be a pain in the ass, but in Gentoo, all you have to do is run emerge =python-3.6 and that's it! No other packages have to be fucked with. Gentoo package masks keep packages from automatically moving to the latest version. If there's an ""update"", it's really just your package mask being modified to select the newer packages. But python 3.6 can easily be installed alongside GCC 3.4.6 and Gentoo will not give a flying fuck. You have to modify your package.unmask list in the portage directory in order to support the newer packages is all

So, despite the retarded Arch users on Sup Forums calling it a "meme", Gentoo is the opposite.

Can you post the wallpaper, please?

absolutely peasant-tier music

I want a picture of a dog on my wall. I want to do it myself, but I don't have any artistic talent. Would you suggest I use a canvas or a coloring book?

In general, "user friendly" is equivalent to "easy to use". You seem to be using your own definition here saying that "user firendly" means that it's going to do what's best for the user lo g term.

Painting on a canvas might be more rewarding than a coloring book, and might make you an artist more quickly, however it is not more accessible, easy to use, user friendly or simpler.

The argument isn't about restrictions, it's about ease of use.
The argument isn't about which OS is better, it's about ease of use.

so your argument is that completing a task in less steps is easier. Kind of like driving an automatic and never having to switch gears yourself. Despite having more control over gear shifting when driving a manual, or even if you want to shift, coz you can always just have it redline and stay in gear without shifting throughout your journey, for the sake of benchmarking the engine. Ok, that makes sense, but its also like saying "its easier to be spoonfed, than having to pick up the spoon yourself".

also agree with user here
that's some brainwashing level type music taste
anti-corporation, anti-establishment, anti-government, original 90s industrial is Sup Forums type music

it literally looks like you downloaded the #1 single of every year and put them in a playlist in an effort to get replies

seek help user, but nice wallpaper

Because I prefer OS X.

I am. Kubuntu user here.

bull fucking shit. Ryzen is already supported by Linux (you have to use an updated kernel, though). meanwhile, win10 crashes.

>>isn't source based
you can download, modify and recompile your packages very easily

Because I develop FreeBSD, and using Linux for that is a pain in the ass. It's easier to run it natively and get all the benefits of cached builds, the native buildsystem and not having to spin up vms.

best comment of the day

still waiting for Ubuntu Cinnamon, Mint is somewhat broken

Remember when Ubuntu's network manager was fucked in the LTS release? Yeah? That's why.

not who you replied to, but i happen to have that same wallpaper in my possession

have a good one user

this to be quite desu ne

Debian is just Ubuntu with older software you autistic fuck

>openSUSE
>tick one or two more boxes during the setup process
>add a single repo right after installing
>It's faster and less prone to issues than Ubuntu

Why do Ubuntu users sacrifice long-term functionality for a marginally easier setup?

NĂ³ amd drivers

It doesn't have a start menu

You can add one

What? It has this.

I used Ubuntu Gnome for a while and loved it, but then I tried installing Cinnamon and discovered that it can do everything I liked about Gnome, plus more. Question, though: if I like Cinnamon, would I be better off using Mint?

I don't agree user. I have experienced the opposite, it's the only one that has "just worked".

I had a fairly pool experience with it and it's still to become anything more than Debian's retaded nephew.

this

Yes.

I use Debian. It's like Ubuntu for people who know what they're doing but still want something easy and flexible.

Because I don't install Spyware that sends my computer usage and search history to Amazon

Ubuntu WAS good, but that was 7 years ago.

I must be fucking autistic then.
>install debian
>everything is fucking outdated
>swap the sources into stretch
>bleedingedgedebian.jpg

Do you know if you get better battery life on Arch than ubuntu or mint? Battery life on my linux mint is usually a significant amount less than when booted into windows. Not sure how it would compare to other distros.

This

>best distro
>isn't ubuntu mate

I use KDE Neon if that counts