Be a backend/API dev

>be a backend/API dev
>not feeling like keeping up to date with tech world for the last 2 years
>took a break from work last year
>come back looking for work
>notice people are now using javascript for backend stuff
>it's getting more and more popular

Is this how it ends?
Is this what you get for employing fucking hipsters to do all your work?
I'm done. Time to change profession.

In b4 people tell me whatever language I used up until now was even worse. No. Fuck off.

It's an ignorable fad, it's only so popular because all of a sudden front end devs became empowered with building full stack apps without having to learn anything new. None of these guys really know anything though, I remember one guy was like "What's an environment variable"

javascript kernel and native js cpu when

Not to mention things PhoneGap are fucking slow as hell.
I cringe every time I hear "fullstack"

it will all die out, companies have already started regretting switching to JS stacks as it becomes a huge technical debt. When a company switches to something like Angular it's to follow the craze... Then Angular 2 comes out, or React gets a better name... And all of a sudden they must switch again or become irrelevant. It's ridiculous and stupid.

Whereas normal OG backends in mature languages/frameworks always maintain their job market share, stay relevant and the developers who work in them have more superior knowledge and experience

>>not feeling like keeping up to date with tech world for the last 2 years

>took a break

yea right ... you got fired cause you are fucking useless and now you complain about 'changes'. People like you shouldnt be employed at all.

Remember when they told you that its an ever changing kind of thing and oyu always have to learn something new and adapt?! They didnt lie.

Suck it up or stay a fucking NEET you worthless cunt.

javascript was a mistake

This is what better hardware has made possible.

Notice how the quality of apps and websites hasn't changed at all since 2009, but everything has become 20x more resource intensive?

>seven replies
>none of them quoting (OP)

I'm a contractor, so I don't have that slave mentality, my friend.

>Notice how the quality of apps and websites hasn't changed at all since 2009

No

Sysadmin here, I share your feels.
Getting anything to work correctly in node.js is hell. Especially when npm is having a seizure.

>failed to build module
>failed to build module
>failed to build module
>failed to build module

>contractor

oh boy ... when will this meme on Sup Forums end?! you know how many "government contractors" are on Sup Forums ?! everyone says the same fucking shit

>hurr durr im a contractor bro i only do the IMPORTANT stuff
>muah security clearance

listen .. whenever i hear this shit i can't help myself but think off trailer parks and food stamps. Its how it is my dude.

Don't come me with that fucking shit. The only reason you are trying to get back into the workforce is because you think you are passed your mental breakdown and NEET phase on gibsmedats and now try to get your life back in order.

If you'd actually be commited to do that you wouldnt be on Sup Forums whining about some stupid 'liberal' programming language you fucking worthless garbage can.

Get off the internet and get your life in order but stop lying on Sup Forums. You just waste everyones time.

Nah. We fine. I have been milking my employer for legacy projects and just traveling around.
Meanwhile I build my own startup using js based backends to keep up with the world.

1) >>> reddit
2) stop shilling JS
3) kill yourself
4) stop assuming I'm a burgernigger because I'm not

Ah yes JS backend start-ups, something truly innovative the world has yet to see

this is again one of those typical idiotic "language" discussions. you would write almost identical "if then" syntax in other languages so what is your problem?

If you are a dev it may have occured to you that all languages are the same.

Scripting on the backend in general is getting more popular. Node especially so due to its event driven/async secret sauce

>no interfaces
>no real OOP
>100 different libraries doeing the same stuff
>dependency hell
>typing loose like a retired whore's vagina

just to name a few. Totally the same

Come to the C/C++ side. We have daemons with browser SPAs for the GUI.

>event driven
The way it should be. There are arguments to make about scripted back end but this works fine. I know people don't like Ruby here but Rails is perfection in terms of web development. Yeah it sets low entry barriers and thus brings about flocks people using it, but it's just so easy to maintain (in used correctly)

Not a technical startup. Writing backend in JS for mvps is the absolute easiest way to bootstrap a project.
I ain't making innovative technologies. I am making a living, brother.

Have you even refactored a "big" backend JS project?
Genuinely curious if it's as bad as I imagine it to be.

I don't mind people talking shit about JS, but when I hear that they prefer ruby, perl, python, php, java, c# or other retarded languages I want to puke

c++, rust, and go are ok, even java and c# are ok sometimes, but fuck all other PL

Ruby and Python serve their purposes

Really, really made me think

whats
>their purposes

I can even acknowledge python, for security it is good and commonly used, but what is the fucking purpose of ruby over JS?

It's fine, nothing is worse than javascript

When was the last time you used PHP in conjunction with a modern framework?

My current employer bought off a startup dealing with integrating semi-smart bots. The whole concept was simple AF, we basically bought datasets for machine learning.
However the whole actual backend was written in NodeJS + mongoose. You can CLEARLY see that they made bad recruitment choices. DB design was made entirely by the CTO and was quite decent. You can see him planning the structure solely for performance/analytics (welp, that was their product). Sadly guy had to take over CTO role 100% and stopped coding, not even managing it.

It was a motherfucking callback hell with zero backend architecture. This shit is what you can imagine frontend developer would come up with when he needed backend. BFF my ass, this unmanagable, untestable piece of shit got rewritten from scratch and legit the only thing left there was the DB and ODM.
Cancer.

Ruby over JS in web development, because Rails>Node + the gorillion abominations that should have long be replaced by people able in CCS3 and HTML 5

it's a fad that's already dying off, don't worry about it

java is still the king on backend

JS developers BTFO

>callback hell

stopped reading there, not an argument in 2017. go back in 2009.

so slow a fuck lego is worse than fast as fuck lego? Great logic there m8

laravel? All the time, node is way better

No user, this is how industry is right now. JS backend projects that grew on the hype and never got enough love.
I do believe it is going to change and it's worth considering starting a project with it right now, as I am using JS for backend myself, but it has been cancerous and we see the afterfall now.

hello eevee

>I can't even get hired as an actual employee

you're not really helping your case here lad.

>shitty devs write shitty code
What a fucking surprise.

>easily get £7000 a month after taxes
>get as much time off as you want
vs.
>get up to £4500 a month after taxes
>beg for a holiday, but you only can use up to 21 days or so

gee you sure BTFO'd me

the purpose of ruby over JS is because we like it more to work in... You're an idiot if you can't scale a project no matter what it's in and it's too easy to get work so we may as well have fun in the process

basically the purpose is the same as what it has always been, developer happiness and best practice software engineering as opposed to faggot front end developer hype and cancerous code

before or after the contract house you likely used--because you're an autismo faggot, take their cut?

you're full of shit anyhow kid. cry more about muh JS.

shit jus werks for me.
no other scripting language has such a good package manager. hell people use it to distribute shit not written in js.

>js
>scripting language

uhh what lol

confirmed troll

Learn about Elixir, Go and other new memes.

JavaScript is basically lisp with neat-native performance profile. The fact that it butthurts blub programmer so much is just the cherry on top.

you can even use elixirscript too.

a meme within a meme

Is system and/or network administration even worth continuing as a career choice at this point? Should I just say fuck it and learn how to write applications?

I don't like 2016. meme but I am overjoyed when using 2013. meme... kys

>a meme within a meme

haha

What about Nativescript and React Native, do they have any future?

>2013

I'm calling it now. Best shitpost of the day.

all admin jobs are shit unless you architect the whole solution and do it properly yourself.

then what is it? because it sue as hell isn't compiled ahead of time into some binary format

It will always be a worthy career choice. Don't get swayed by temporary memes bro

>typescript
>typescript
>no need for 100 dependencies if you know what your doing
>no dependency hell if you dont npm install every google search result for your problem
>typescript

Node.JS does help.