/hs&ntg/ Home Server & Networking General

I didn't see one, so here goes.

I am planning on expanding my home network and I am going to get another HP Microserver because they're good shit. I have TP-Link routers but I plan on replacing those too, recommend me better networking hardware Sup Forums.

Current HP Microserver is a G8 series
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core
RAM: 4GB (will expand to 16 soon)
HDD: 500GB (OS Debian 8)

For now I am using it mostly as storage and media server, plan on using the second one more productively.

Other urls found in this thread:

natex.us/Intel-S2600CP2J-Motherboard-Kit-p/s2600cp-sr0h8-128gb-12800.htm
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013UBCHVU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B013UBCHVU&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21
microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-414.aspx
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/system-requirements/minimum-hardware-recommendations
amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-Combo-Motherboards-J3455-ITX/dp/B01MQ0EUBS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1488737620&sr=1-1&keywords=J3455
my.mixtape.moe/rlsawt.zip
starwindsoftware.com/starwind-nfr-license-users
tweaktown.com/reviews/6842/asrock-rack-c2550d4i-intel-avoton-mini-itx-server-motherboard-review/index8.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

natex.us/Intel-S2600CP2J-Motherboard-Kit-p/s2600cp-sr0h8-128gb-12800.htm

>natex.us/Intel-S2600CP2J-Motherboard-Kit-p/s2600cp-sr0h8-128gb-12800.htm
From Europoor, user, but thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Custom built PC in minitower,
CPU: Intel Celeron G1820T
RAM: 8GB (1.5GB used, don't even need to expand it anytime soon)
HDD: 1TB (+ 64GB SSD for rolling web/DB backups) CentOS 7

Does it's job, was very cheap to put together.

As for the better networking hardware, MikroTik? Decent price for what it does.

I'm also looking on replacing my router, away from TP-Link, I think their product line is decent, it served me well for 4 years, but I think there are manufacturers much better than TPL

I need a good router.

Requirements :
- has at least 8 MB flash
- has at least 64 MB RAM
- has detachable antenna
- cheap
- compatible with lede or openwrt
- good wifi range (my house has 2 floors)

Optional requirements :
- 1 usb port for extroot
- compatible with dd-wrt

Need openwrt / lede so I can block ads at router level.
I'm tired of seeing youtube ads on my phone.

About to pull the trigger on this.

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013UBCHVU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B013UBCHVU&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21

Any better choices?

>amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013UBCHVU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B013UBCHVU&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21
Might want to check out the 9nth generation? I have the Gen8 as well, good server desu

I didn't even know there was a later generation, will check it out.

It's possible that it might not be released yet, but I do recall that in '14 and '15 it was announced that Gen9 was in the making and announced.

So he's just a really young looking business man, and she's a thousand year old goddess? Phew.

>Mikrotik
Which model ?

Are there any good current guides on creating a Windows home network environment for practice purposes? I'm hoping to take the MCSA/MCSE this year for server administration, and I've been told that the best way to learn would be to set everything up and configure it (using both the GUI and in the Core version using command line) but I'm not sure what the best setup would be.

What kind of hardware would I need, and is it expensive? Can it be done all on VMs? What kind of licensing issues will I run into with a Windows Server 2012 environment?

If you're not in a hurry, wait for the next gen.
The jump from 7th to 8th was big, and I can't wait to see what the Gen9 or Gen10 will be like.

Why the fuck would you get Microsoft certs?

wow

>What kind of hardware would I need, and is it expensive? Can it be done all on VMs?
I have a dual Xeon E5-2660v2 with 160GB RAM. Its not cheap. RAM will be your limiting factor. I havent taken either test. The file servers, vCenter and SQL take up most of the ram, 24GB, 10GB and 16GB per node respectively. I'm guessing you'll end up using HyperV instead of vSphere though.

>What kind of licensing issues will I run into with a Windows Server 2012 environment?
You do realize that whatever test you take will likely focus on 2016? And why are you paying for Windows?

just get an old blade server and some HDD's.

you can do a lot with that and a couple NICs

and VMware is fine.

You dont understand how loud or power hungry blade systems are do you?

getting ready to merge FreeIPA with AD. Should be fun. It's also my first time working with Windows server. What am I in for?

If you're just dicking around with a test environment, 16-32GB RAM and VM everything should be more than enough.
You don't have to run everything at the same time to check things.
Use Hyper-V because it ties in to the other stuff pretty well.

Also, there's an evaluation period of 180 days, so go crazy.

.t MCITP Enterprise Admin

>If you're just dicking around with a test environment, 16-32GB RAM and VM everything should be more than enough.
hahaha no. It has tests for things like MPIO which will require multiple HBAs and SAS or FibreChannel disks. Clusters which will double your RAM usage. And most importantly System Center.

System Center alone will require probably 64GB minimum and it requires a SQL server in addition.

microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-414.aspx

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/system-requirements/minimum-hardware-recommendations

OP here again, recommend me some better network routers other than TP-LINK, I know Netgear has a decent reputation

sccm does not take 64 gigs of ram

i have 8x8GB SODIMM DDR3 ECC Registered sticks. could probably get a few more, got 4GB ones as well.
any cheap mobo i could use them on?

>I know Netgear has a decent reputation
consumershit.

>recommend me some better network routers other than TP-LINK
Cisco, Juniper

There is a lot more to System Center than Configuration Manager

pfsense.

how do your own fucking research instead of just asking people to spoonfeed

fuck off

Please recommend me reading material to help me into home servers and general home networking :)

I've been looking at cheap rack-mountable servers, routers, firewalls and switches on my local Craigslist, but I have no idea where to start and what I might find useful..
I just want to set up old hardware in a cheap rack for fun and host a website and a file storage system or something!
Thanks in advance!

>any cheap mobo i could use them on?
No, you'll be hard pressed to find anything to that even accepts ECC SODIMMs. Find someone who needs them and trade them for full sized RDIMMs.

>pfsense.
thats a firewall, and more consumershit

>cisco
>juniper
Yeah, I really want to go professional with my home network, faggot.

he asked for a network, and thats what he got

i guess you can try and act like you know shit by saying he should some garbage ubiquiti router. the best way to learn vlans, heavy rule enforcement, and other important shit like nat is to virtualize pfsense

would a mini-itx atom board with a gigabit NIC be overkill for a router?

amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-Combo-Motherboards-J3455-ITX/dp/B01MQ0EUBS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1488737620&sr=1-1&keywords=J3455

with a comment like that it is obvious you have no business actually asking these questions in the first place.

stay in school

I have RB951G-2HnD.

>Yeah, I really want to go professional with my home network, faggot.
You do realize you can used equipment for not that much. You can get a 3750E with 48 1GbE and 2 10GbE for $100-$200 and a ASA 5510 for $200

>he asked for a network, and thats what he got
He asked for a router, not a firewall. Not everyone is poor like you

I can run pfSense on the side and learn about rule enforcement, vlans, nat, etc. I just want some routers that don't erratically kick off clients from the wireless for a second and re-connects back.

> Not everyone is poor like you
> Switch that is 4 years past EoL, ASA 3

You certainly seem to be though

$300 in cisco gear isnt really enough to warrant calling someone poor

It still gets software updates, look at the firmware date. Lets see your 10GbE.

>that pic
wow its nothing, see . I have another dual E5-2600 box with 128GB ram sitting under my bed.

Hey where did you find that server clip art?

>58 vms
>1 host

am i supposed to be impressed?

>making sensible purchases means you're poor
if u profit from the stock market u lose
if u kill ur enemies they win

Well considering that you dont even have that many spread across 3 hosts. And even they they're clearly not doing anything since you're only using 94GB RAM.

So this thread looks mostly hardware related, but it sounds like at least some of you know your shit.

I'm in school for my certs and one of my pet projects right now is setting up a beowulf cluster. I'm trying to run them diskless by pxe booting them. I've got the pxe server running server 2016 with WDS and have gotten windows 10 and netboot Ubuntu(pxe linux) to both be installed over the network. However when I try to do the same thing with a livecd Ubuntu image, it throws some errors about not being able to create directories. I found a guide that said to make the Remoteinstall folder an NFS share to distribute the kernel and initrd files but when I did that it would fully boot to the pxelinux custom screen with distribution list, but it seems like it was losing connection to the dhcp server and losing all ip information and ended up throwing out errors that it couldn't connect to the NFS server.

A bit of a long shot but I hope someone can at least point me in the right direction.

yeah, one of them is just running a couple, its still funny to see how you have no naming standard whatsoever, and then run everything on the same box making a layer 3 physical switch effectively useless.

the main point is you tried to call someone poor when your 2 pieces of hardware are cheap as fuck, doesnt make any sense.

I've got a home-built computer as a server.

CPU: i5 4570S
RAM: 12GB (leftovers, kind of)
HDD: 6x3TB WD RED in mdadm RAID6, 32GB SD card for OS (headless Debian 8)
UPS: a small APC Back-UPS ES 700G, server shuts down after 2 minutes without mains power to maintain RAID integrity rather than uptime

Router is an Asus AC68U, I've done 100MB/s off of torrents and 6+ months uptime, good enough for me.

I'm looking to expand my storage and get some form of backup for the server itself. Not sure how to go about this. I'm currently thinking about getting another 3 3TB HDDs for storage expansion and a few large drives for offline backup. I'd connect the large drives for backup periodically and otherwise keep them offline and physically disconnected. I'm thinking of doing this because no matter how fancy the FS is, it cannot protect against complete hardware failure.

How does Sup Forums handle complete backups? Buying HDDs and keeping them offline is simple enough but getting another 15-21TB of storage is prohibitively expensive. Any better ideas? I'm really curious.

>no naming standard whatsoever,
wut?

>a layer 3 physical switch effectively useless.
Again, what? Do you understand what a layer 3 switch even does in comparison to a layer 2?

>cheap as fuck
Lets see your 10GbE

>How does Sup Forums handle complete backups?
Veeam Backup & Replication to a Starwind Virtual Tape Library backed by HDDs attached to a USB/SATA dock

Looks like a nice solution, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Just get some higher capacity drives. Compressed, your 3x3TB should fit on a 6TB drive. Or 4x4TB drives if you're looking to toss the backups into raid 10.

I personally just buy 2 same capacity drives when I need more space. My movie drive is a single 4TB incrementally backing up to a 2nd 4TB. Same with my music. 2 to another 2TB.

Inspire me Sup Forums,

what can I do with 4ESXi hosts in vcenter6.5 cluster(quadcore intel, 256-512gb ssds each total over 100gb ram)

I already have a couple of pfsense mini routers and vms running, it's my uni lab but I have plenty of resources left.

8tb network shared zfs hdd and 8tb backup to a clusterfuck of drives via windows storage spaces on server 2016.

For reference I want to be able to manage everything via my dedicated windows7 x220 but I usually only work on my trashcan meme mac pro or remote at uni via 12inch single usb-c macbook meme.

P.S. I'm not the guy from the apple fanboi pic (you know which one I'm talking about Sup Forums)

Mac host?

I'm really interested in running a macOS with GPU passthrough, but it seems like a pretty uncommon use case, so there's very little info on it on the web. sux

>3x3TB should fit on a 6TB drive
It wont. I'm running dedupe which is basically compression, and on a 20TB volume it saves less than 2TB.

This also ignores data churn and incrementals. You need more backup capacity than you have for primary storage.

>I want to be able to manage everything via my dedicated windows7
You could setup a management VM and use RDS's RemoteApp to do it though. Itll work on both Windows and OS X, i'm doing that with visual studio right now.

>what can I do with 4ESXi hosts in vcenter6.5 cluster(quadcore intel, 256-512gb ssds each total over 100gb ram)
A solution looking for a problem.

I've got 6x3TB currently and looking to expand to 9x3TB for the active storage array. That's 12TB currently usable, 21TB once I upgrade. I don't think compression would help much since the majority of the data is video and music - so already compressed. There are some disk images for various other computers, but those are also already compressed.

How are you handling the software side of the backup process? Saving my 21TB array to other drives will obviously require splitting it into volumes, how does that work in combination with something like a differential backup? It would also be great if the solution allowed me to copy files from the backup HDDs without requiring a restore of the entire thing or having multiple backup drives plugged in. I could do this using "basic" copying and hand-manage it, but it would be a pain.

>Saving my 21TB array to other drives will obviously require splitting it into volumes
Find backup software which supports tapes, and use Starwind Virtual Tape Library. Otherwise the backup software will generally want all the HDDs to be online at the same time, or it'll assume one has failed.

>how does that work in combination with something like a differential backup
Veeam will keep a database of files already backed up so you can do incrementals

>allowed me to copy files from the backup HDDs without requiring a restore of the entire thing or having multiple backup drives plugged in
Veeam and StarWind VTL will allow you to do this

There is a crack out there for Veeam B&R,a nd StarWind will give out free NFR licenses for VTL. Although you usually have to ask support to specifically add VTL functionality.

The mac pro is my workstation I got the parts on the cheap second hand brand new. Can't wait for DX11 to be virtualised on mac so I can run muh games from 48gb ramdisk for shits n giggles. Might upgrade to 10core cpu if I can spot one for 400 european shekels but I think the high clockspeed on the quadcore I have is better overall compared to whatever the 10core runs at.

The ESXi hosts are 4 physical cases in the attic along with 2 nases(ws2016 and freenas) a managed 16 port switch, ubiquiti edgerouter, controller dongle and AC LR access point.

>The mac pro is my workstation
specs?

>You could setup a management VM and use RDS's RemoteApp to do it though. Itll work on both Windows and OS X, i'm doing that with visual studio right now.
How is remote performance my internets are 300down/30up will they handle smooth 1200p/800p streaming to the macbook?

Check the image in unless your gentoo wget setup isn't able to load images in that case you are forgiven.

>will they handle smooth 1200p/800p streaming to the macbook?
Do you intend on streaming video, or just a GUI? Streaming full screen video doesnt work for me because the Mac client is single threaded for decoding. Using apps works fine though and uses minimal bandwidth.

>Xeon E5 Mac (presumably Mac Pro if it's not a VM)
>parts
Wut? I thought these were 100% soldered?

all that gear sounds expensive desu

Veeam is apparently a backup tool for VMWare/HyperV environments, can I deploy it on a bare metal Debian install?

The price for Veeam is completely prohibitive (650EUR), I'd need a crack for sure. I'm not necessarily against the idea of paying for backup software, but that's way too much for me as a home user. StarWind just hands out licenses like that, no questions asked?

Installing new drives is a bit annoying since I have to take the side panel off, but it works ok, and all intakes are filtered. Picture is taken more than a year after I first booted the machine, I haven't done anything about the dust yet, other than clean the front filter once in a while.

/dev/sda model: INTEL_SSDSC2BB12 size: 120.0GB
/dev/sdb model: ST6000VN0041 size: 6001.2GB
/dev/sdc model: ST6000VN0041 size: 6001.2GB
/dev/sdd model: WDC_WD40EFRX size: 4000.8GB
/dev/sde model: WDC_WD40EFRX size: 4000.8GB

Each set of HDDs run btrfs in raid1. Thinking about moving to Omnios and ZFS and use this server as a dedicated storage machine. I don't feel good about having services that face the internet on a machine that hosts my bulk storage and backups.

>Veeam is apparently a backup tool for VMWare/HyperV environments,
You can backup files with it too

>can I deploy it on a bare metal Debian install?
It requires Windows. Just put it in a VM.

>I'd need a crack for sure
here my.mixtape.moe/rlsawt.zip
You can download the latest copy of B&R from their website

specs of that cute machine?

Sell a kidney on silkroad

>StarWind just hands out licenses like that, no questions asked?
starwindsoftware.com/starwind-nfr-license-users

Look in to the forum users section. Find someone on one for the forums and just say you're them. Thats how I got mine.

>having services that face the internet
What kind of services?

Hey guys, networking noob here.

My home network looks like pic related. I need to connect my computer (connected to router 1 with a 10.0.0.x IP) to another computer (connected to router 2 with a 192.168.0.x IP).

I can't access the other computer directly from my machine right now. What kinds of changes would I have to make to be able to access the 192.168.0.x machine?

Do I need to edit my computer's routing tables or fiddle with router 2?

how much do you charge for your boipucci

>computer's routing tables
Assuming the computers on router 2 can already connect to the internet, you need to setup a route on router 1 so it knows who to contact for computers attached to router 2.

Thanks for the crack and the tips. I'll definitely give this a serious look since it sounds like it does exactly what I want if I can get it up and running.

Yeah, all the computers can connect to the internet.

I'll try to setup a route on router 1, thanks.

The problem is that it's one of those shitty ISP rental boxes that functions as both a modem and a router, and it's pretty locked down

The case is a PC-Q25

Mostly minecraft, but I run some clients like transmission(-daemon) and weechat too.

That drawing of an ass makes my dick diamonds

this also assumes that router 2 is not running NAT. if it is running NAT that disregard what I previously said and just setup NAT rules on router 2.

Both routers are running NAT.

Just curious, what's the reason behind setting up NAT rules on router 2 if i'm connecting through router 1?

If router one is a stupid PoS that probably can't into actual routing, NAT on router 2 allows the machines behind it to connect to the internet.
Else router 1 would either flip it's shit or drop all traffic destined for the subnet behind router 2.

As for your access question:
More nics and cables can fix this.
Also VLAN capable switches or some hacky VPN solution.

nat =/= routed subnet

Are you retarded?

Reminder: don't buy old servers. They might be cheap because companies want to get rid of old junk, but they'll rape your electricity bill (or your mommy's). Be smart, don't buy old shit

>old pc with an e8500 2GB of RAM
Unfortunately it only has two disks(250+300) and the 250gb one has read speeds of 20MBps so the thing is useless until I get new drives.

>Both routers are running NAT.
router 2 should not be running NAT. it is completely unnecessary, introduces slight performance penalties, and makes managing things far more difficult than they need be.

>Just curious, what's the reason behind setting up NAT rules on router 2 if i'm connecting through router 1?
but if you insist on running NAT on router 2. the reason being is that it wont router just any packet it receives on its external (WAN) interface to the local network. you would have to setup NAT rules for your computer to be able to initiate sessions to the computers behind router 2.

And dont listen to he doesnt understand the difference between layer 2 and layer 3

Don't. The machine will probably pull 80W from the wall on idle, huge waste of power. get a ULV Board

all but one of mine are haswell or newer

I see, thanks. Both routers were plug-and-play, and I haven't done any sort of configuration on either of them. Both routers have been running NAT for a while and I don't want to "disturb" router 2 in any way because my housemates connect to the internet with that one.

>it wont router just any packet it receives on its external (WAN) interface to the local network
That makes sense.
So I should set up those "NAT rules" on my computer to access things in router 2? Where would this configuration happen?

I just found something interesting: If I initiate a connection from the 192.168.0.x computer to my 10.0.0.x IP address, the connection works just fine.

However, when I run netstat on my 10.0.0.x computer, it says the connection originates from "10.0.0.2", instead of the correct 192.168.0.x address. Also, if I run a server on the other computer and try to connect to it with the IP 10.0.0.2, the connection doesn't go through.

If computer A can connect to computer B but not vice versa, what do I have to do?

Create a static route so the router on 192.168.0.x is aware of 10.0.0.x subnet

You need to set the NAT rules directly on router 2.
Or completely disable NAT on it and just set a route on router 1 making your life easier.

I do understand the difference just fine, but I'm too lazy to draw a map and explain further for somebody that doesn't understand what NAT does.

Which CPU would you recommend?

Will look into that, thanks

you are

Depends on what you want to do on your server

Nothing more than file storage.

tweaktown.com/reviews/6842/asrock-rack-c2550d4i-intel-avoton-mini-itx-server-motherboard-review/index8.html

Why even bother showing power consumption numbers when they use a way overpowered power supply. Seen them pair a similar supermicro board with a 1500W PSU too.

>tfw raid5 is useless for any setup over 10TB because an unrecoverable read error will almost certainly kill your drive rebuild and destroy all your data

What kind of RAID setup should you use in 2017 for >10TB available storage? It seems to me that parity setups like RAID5 AND RAID6 are useless nowadays.

ULV Celeron, I think they recently released the Kaby Lake ones

RAID 10

RAID10 basically copies each bit you write, right? Hypothetically speaking, if a HDD in a RAID10 setup stopped working, would you would only have to recover from one hard drive?

So doesn't RAID10 have the same issue that if the HDD you're copying from crashes, then all your data is lost anyway?

>So I should set up those "NAT rules" on my computer to access things in router 2? Where would this configuration happen?
You setup the NAT rules on router 2, and then on your computer, connect to the IP on the external interface of router 2.

That is wrong for several reasons. First off the computers behind router 2 can already communicate to his computer. They will forward their packets to the default gateway which is router 2, router 2 will send it to its default gateway which is router 1. router 1 is aware of the 10 network so it knows to send it to a locally attached computer. The problem is that his computer doesnt know how to talk to the 192.126/24 network.

This also ignores that he is running nat

>I do understand the difference just fine
No you dont since you're talking about VLANs which are layer 2 for a problem which is at layer 3

dont listen to those tards, they dont understand basic networking.

RAID 6 works fine. I use it for 8x 4TB HGST UltraStar 7k4000s. RAID 1/10 isnt gaurentted to be able to recover from multidisk failures. And if you have enough disks where you need to worry about more than 2 failures you should be using a SAN.