Is this shit a joke?

I don't get it. I have a single USB-C port on my shit laptop. If I want to connect anything besides a massive $200 hub to it, I lose access to the only USB-C port.

Virtually none of these adapters or dongles have pass-through USB-C. They occasionally have a female port for CHARGING ONLY

I'm completely lost. What the fuck is the point? I need a power adapter to charge the computer, most power adapters are rated for specific voltages / draw, so why would I plug in some rando adapter with a USB-C?

Where's the utility here? I don't get this shit at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=USB c to USB a hub
hypershop.com/products/usb-c-5-in-1-hub-with-pass-though-usb-c-charging
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To force you to buy more peripheral shit, you stupid consumer.
That's what you get for buying fad products and not taking time to actually analyze what you need. Cuck to the machine.

whats sad is that this is the only port the macbook pro has

kek

"Oh look!" you say, this adapter will let me:
>Connect an HDMI device
>Connect a USB-A device
>Connect a USB-C dev-
WRONG
That USB-C is for power only

What in the flying fuk

Yeah but this shit just spits in the face of the assumption that you could get a traditional USB-C hub like you get USB-A hubs since fucking forever.

Where are all the 1 USB-C to 4 USB-C (F) dongles or whatever? This is absurd

>I have one port
>If I use it for one thing, I can't use it for something else at the same time
Not sure I understand the issue.

You gotta git gud. USB-C can power tons of shit even with some cheap adapters
-1080p60 monitor via HDMI
-2x usb3 hubs (one under table, one in headphone stand)
-1x usb2 hub in monitor
1x Ethernet via usb3
external HDD
1x DAC

all that with the added bonus of charging

I got the Apple usb-c to HDMI/USB/power adapter for $50, headphone stand for $30 and usb3 hub with Ethernet for around 20.Besr in mind that I just have many USB devices but theoretically just the Apple adapter and a second hub would be enough for most folks

I bashed the shit out of the single port too, but once you try this single cable arrangement you just can't go back.

Once the 12" MacBook gets TB3 then it'll only get better from there

Why doesn't Macbook just get a docking station for all expansion connections?

Okay I'll charge my phone on that, and plug real peripherals into the handy and commonplace USB A

docking stations do exist, but just are $200-400 because of markup, design and apple tax. It's cheaper just to daisychain shit together

most usb-c laptops have a headphone jack. usb-c phones on the other hand are screwed.

If we're going to stick usb-c on all phones and re I've headphone jacks then they at least should give 2 ports on phones

I have a macbook pro "retina" mid 2014, has usb, sd card, hdmi (could do with an ethernet port though). i won't bother upgrading to another apple computer in the future if they don't stop this shit. (it's not even comparable to when Jobs removed ps/2 and cd drives)

USB was a mistake

Thunderbolt 3 is what has DisplayPort/PCIe and 10Gbps USB
USB 3.1 (gen 1) is just 5Gbps USB
USB 3.1 (gen 2) is 10Gbps USB
All USB-C connectors (not specifications but the actual connectors) need to officially be rated to 5 amps 5v charging or 12v up to 80 or 100 watts or something

nigga usb-c/thunderbolt 3 is the future. It's an incredible standard, especially thunderbolt. More devices will get it, and eventually it'll be king. USB2 is dead and usb-3 is slowly packing it's things and starting to head out. it'll be a legacy device in a few years.

and what happens when your next peripheral requires usb-c? are you going to d/c your monitor?

where the fuck is the usb-c version of a typical hub? thats my problem

USB C is nothing, get your facts right
USB C is a plug
USB 3.0 (also USB 3.1 gen 1) is on its way out, USB 3.1 (also USB 3.1 gen 2) is here to stay for anybody who doesn't want to pay the Intel tax for thunderbolt 3
For those who do, thunderbolt 3 is objectively the best spec, and with USB 3.1 gen 2 support it supports ALL USB specs
USB C is just a reversible connector with a standardized power delivery spec, there's phones out there with USB 2.0 type C

What's a "typical hub?"
Because without thunderbolt 3 there's no video output, possible no charging support, no PCIe support and a normal 10gbps (or 5Gbps if gen 1) USB switcher
I would've thought they had plenty of USB C to multiple USB A hubs, what are you looking for
I'm gonna be honest with you, if that's not TB3 is essentially just a fast USB port

Also if you do have thunderbolt, look up thunderbolt 3 hubs
As I'm sure you've found out by now there's a huge difference between USB 3.1 type C and Thunderbolt 3

And to answer your question about the charging, USB C cables (official USB-spec ones) are rated for up to 100w of power delivery, regardless of the data transfer rate
USB data spec and USB power delivery spec are two different groupings
USB C got the "this power spec only!" While being legally able to be just USB 2.0 type C cables data-wise

>I would've thought they had plenty of USB C to multiple USB A hubs, what are you looking for

single usb-c to multiple usb-c
thats it

what a clusterfuck

I guess sux 2 be u
Buy 4 more USB-C to USB-A adapters too
You didn't foresee the dongling when you bought this laptop?

I thought id be able to get a hub like usb-a

If it's a usb-c device with removable cables then it's fine, I've got A-C cables already. If it's connected straight Into the device then a cheap adapter will fix that, but I doubt they'll be the case for a while. most devices have removable cables.

I'm planning on upgrading my MacBook when the 12" gets TB3 then by that time usb-c hubs will exist and all will be well

I sense an immense amount of butthurt here. don't get so anal over semantics. I am aware of the names, how they behave and that some phones use usb2 type c.

you completely missed the point nigga.

USB 3.1C & TB3 is the future. We're in the transitional stages hence why people like you and OP are assblasted over muh ports

Yeah it's a shitshow, hopefully thunderbolt 3 becomes standard quickly and we can have more unified specs instead of *some* power specs for *some* USB versions with *some* data rates but ONLY this power delivery when using this type of cable UNLESS it's some chinkshit cable
Literally you can blame the (gen 1 gen 2) fuckup entirely on the 2015 macbook. "USB 3.2" wouldn't have been that hard to say would it?

top kek

At least Apple is gay

meant for

>At least Apple is gay
Google employs 10x as many faggots as Apple. If you have an Android phone, you're probably a huge faggot.

There's nothing futuristic about USB C other than its reversible and thin (what really matters to manufacturers who decide to use ONLY USB C (hopefully through thunderbolt because there would be no video output otherwise))
USB 3.1 (gen 2) type A can do exactly everything USB 3.1 (gen 2) type C can do.
Intels proprietary choice to use USB-C for thunderbolt 3 has nothing to do with the capabilities of USB as a whole
Tell me, other than a thin and reversible connector, what makes USB C better than USB A?

whats the point of your post?
I have ONE usb-c port
how do I get access to more usb-c ports without buying a docking station? what is convenient and AMAZING about that? I dont care if the standard has more data b/w and power it seems so expensive and inconvenient that it doesnt really matter what it can do

That's really innovative.

Let's hope they have gay niggers as well. Otherwise I won't buy.

Why don't you just unplug your device before using the other one?
Personally in 8 months I've never found a single use for my USB C slot (not thunderbolt 3, or I would've had egpu a while ago)
And I've been looking for USB C devices honestly
Also what is the problem OP? I see plenty
lmgtfy.com/?q=USB c to USB a hub

>Why don't you just unplug your device before using the other one?
BECAUSE I NEED IT FOR AN EXTERNAL MONITOR YOU DIPSHIT

>lmgtfy.com/?q=USB c to USB a hub
I want USB-C to more USB-C, not USB-C to USB-A

Gorgeous! :ˆ)

Well do you have thunderbolt 3?
If you do, you're just waiting for the future to catch up
If you just have USB 3.1 gen 1 then yeah, whoever made your laptop believed the buyer would be retarded and it's literally just a reshaped USB 3.0 port which can't do anything except plug into Apple peripherals

But he's an expert, he uses homosexually-compatible Google...

If it's not thunderbolt 3, you're fucked
I told you that 3 times already
If you're too dumb to spray paint a USB hub that's not my problem, you asked for a hub not for fashion advice

>Well do you have thunderbolt 3?
Yes I have a Dell XPS13 with thunderbolt. Fucking shit meme laptop.

First off that's impossible to have a constant datastream of DisplayPort going though a USB-based switching hub
Second of all a real thunderbolt 3 hub may not exist and if it does would be extremely expensive
It's a versatile hub, it's not a dozen cables smashed into one port
And if it's USB and not thunderbolt, then it's fucking nothing

>just waiting for the future to catch up
Why do I find it so hard to believe that we'll see Thunderbolt hubs?

>nothing futuristic
reversible, thin , and actually universal IS the futuristic part
>no video output
USB3C supports video you cunt. gen1 can output DP via alternative DP mode and so can gen2. All it needs is a port adapter.
>manufacturers using only C
this is good for long term. It forces adoption of the standard and will eventually make things cheaper
>A better than C
the fact that C is getting more and more momentum should say enough. It's what will be supported in the years to come while usbA will become a legacy port, much like serial ports. C also supports higher power outputs and data throughputs, it's got more spinouts that can(and will) be used to improve speeds in the future

USBc and TB3 are still in their early days

Yeah but the point was that thunderbolt 3 is an extremely powerful and capable spec, and that USB 3.1 type C (gen one or gen two) is what is outdated and will lose compatibility
You're an idiot if you don't think USB C popularity will surge because of TB3, the problem is that non-TB3 USB C (the 2015 MacBook which fucked up an entire governing standard) may also become popular just because "it's USB C bro!"

The trouble is that USB C is basically just the connector shape. It could be USB 2, 3, 3.1, or Thunderbolt. The features for each vary. If Thunderbolt 3 takes off and becomes the de facto USB C thing, we should have less problems.

Because only Intel would make them and there already a huge consumer base of macfags ready to lap up whatever Intel shoots out in the market
They're waiting for the most profitable time
Or there's more simultaneous thunderbolt 3 bottlenecks than I thought, maybe DisplayPort AND PCIE AND USB 3.1 at the same time is too much for TB3?

TB3 ain't happening until Intel loses the immense licensing fee. Only apple fanboys will buy into it or production faggots who will throw thousands at shit.

USBgen2 will be the defacto cheaper laptop solution(since it'll handle Normie's basic needs well enough,) and TB3 will remain in the high-end as long as Intel taxes it

>You're an idiot if you don't think USB C popularity will surge because of TB3

Potential doesn't matter if there's nothing reasonable the consumer can buy to actually connect shit in a reasonable way

Also its already a hopelessly confusing standard. Its only going to get worse

I have one thunderbolt port and no other HDMI out. So to get video out, which is a pretty fucking common thing, I have to sacrifice my only usb-c data connector. And what you're trying to convince me of is that people will, what? Happily buy thunderbolt peripherals and be okay with one single connector? Or even two? Because I'm not seeing any thunderbolt hubs where someone can connect multiple devices with ease.

I have a wired mouse and keyboard, a game controller, a camera and an external hard drive all running off a SINGLE USB-A connection point (hub is powered).

What the fuck are people going to do when those things are all USB-C connectors? I already see some external hard drives with USB-C.

The alternative DP mode is on USB spec paper but actually has had zero usage in the market show me an adapter that works when plugged in? Just one
USB C being widespread won't make things cheaper, ESPECIALLY not if Intel happens to monopolize the entire port market like it would appear they're doing
I said what makes C better than A? "People use it" isn't an argument and really has nothing to do with the connectors
And no, USB C doesn't support faster speeds than USB A at the moment. USB A pinouts still have a LOT of room for higher speeds (which doesn't even fucking matter if all we have from the USB standard is USB 3.1 gen 2), and the power delivery is flat out wrong, USB C just gets held to a higher minimum standard (which the chinkshit cables being sold don't care about)
Tell me, why is USB 3.1 type c better than USB 3.1 type a?
I'm talking port vs port, don't make up market practices as "arguments"

I can tell you right now every laptop manufacturer can sell and make money off of a "PCIe 3.0 x4, DisplayPort AND USB 3.1" port

Because a HUB would only work on the USB 3.1 side of things, DisplayPort wouldn't be able to go through a USB-based hub and PCIe wouldn't be able to go through
Intel doesn't make a thunderbolt 3 hub as far as I know
Ypu bought a laptop with only TB3 without even checking if dongles existed? That's entirely your fault

You do know that USB A has the same "data" as thunderbolt 3
And external hard drives are barely even reaching USB 3.0 (3.1 gen 1) speeds, other than thunderbolt there's actually nothing that utilizes 3.1 gen 2 10gbps to its full potential

>all running off a SINGLE connection point
do you think this is bad or something?

USB-A is still limited to 5gbps and most likely forever will be. The fact that gen2 didnt include the massively popular usbA connector should speak for itself
>power
USB-c is capable of carrying more power through its connector and cables. That's why all the usbC MacBook can be charged off of a 2.5A phone charger or even a battery pack. usbA can't handle power for shit. It can't draw enough power to charge more powerful devices and can't output more than 1A. an iPhone charger outputs 1A. usbA can basically just charge an iPhone while C is capable of powering much more.
>C better than A
Reversibility, higher power I/O, future support, more pinouts, and very small size is already the nail in the coffin for usbA. It doesn't need anymore arguments. Even if it has 1 benefit over A its better by definition. 2 > 1. I don't need to argue any more than the basics because C is better than A already. TB > C no doubt, but until TB gets its licensing shit together you'll have to get use to C

No its great. My point is I can't do that with USB-C.

yes you can. gen1 C is capable of carrying 4k60, along with audio, USB connectivity albeit at usb2 speeds, and power.

LG has a 1440p monitor that has a USB hub in it, connects via USb-C which can power a laptop and still get video, audio and USB ports

Refer to my setup

>C is better than A because [reasons consumer doesn't care about because they can't actually use any of their shit anymore]

I read that Thunderbolt 3 doesn't even support hubs and that its meant to daisy chain lmao

Imagine having a USB-C keyb, mouse, controller, webcam, external hard drive

But instead of them all being connected to one central hub they are connected
laptop --> keyb --> mouse --> controller --> webcam --> external

Blunderbolt is a joke

why did you get a laptop with one usb port if you wanted to use more than one?

But Apple is 100% gay, user.

Well I have only 2 USB-A ports but I use more than 2 USB-A devices

I guess I incorrectly thought that USB-C wasn't fucking retarded and I could just get a simple hub to connect multiple USB-C devices

Oh so I just need a new monitor.

Micro-usb is literally the worst port in the history of technology and it should die

>want to buy a Galaxy s7 because it's a great phone and with the imminent release of the S8, prices are going down
>but I'm too used to USB C and don't want to go back to the days of needing separate chargers and connectors for my different devices

TB itself doesn't support hubs, but the usbC part of TB3 does. a usbC hub would just convert the TB3 port into a USBgen2 port and be used as a hub

>monitor
that's not at all what I meant. you asked if your usbC can support it and I said yes by providing an example.
hypershop.com/products/usb-c-5-in-1-hub-with-pass-though-usb-c-charging
This will work on TB3 ports and usbC ports. that's just a basic example. usbC can output video, audio and USB ports. you just need the right adapter

Because then you won't be buying adapters

Continue to not use your goddamn brain. You're doing pretty good at that.

>the 13" TB MBP has like 30% less battery than the 2015
fuck that noise, I'll just go 12" instead... how fucking stupid

nice setup btw, looks sexy

Here's a shit pic of my setup. White adapter has 1 power input via usbC (left cable), HDMI 1.4b(middle) and usb3gen1(left cable. it's usbA port). then I just plug in a usbC hub. in my case it's 3 ports +Ethernet. on the hub, 1 cable goes to usb2 hub in my monitor, second goes to usb3 hub in my headphone stand(which had built-in DAC as well) and third goes to external HDD. I still got 6 USB ports to spare in total and still get charging, 1080p60 video, HDD space, Ethernet, and audio.

12" is great but DO NOT BUY BRAND NEW. it's a waste. I bought mine second hand and paid $1300CAD for it. mint shape, has warranty, came with case and USB adapter.

What Hub/Dongle are you using Macbro?

I'm using the one apple sells. After the price drop on adapters from Apple it was only like $50+tax, well within the price of many other similar adapters and it works flawlessly with the 12". many cheap hubs overheat, break, or are just shit.

HooToo has a good hub as well, hyperdrive hubs are good, and date chi. Anker/Aukey are good too.

Either OP is lying or admitting that he is stupid enough to buy a product that doesn't suit his use case

I'm gonna go with the first

>date chi
satechi*

>12" is great but DO NOT BUY BRAND NEW
Yeah I rarely do, generally I just buy "refurbs" from Apple with warranty

This. USB C plugs can be seen as the VGA connectors or PS/2 connectors. There are many different uses for these (okay, in my example the amount of pins can vary, but still), they are a openly standardized connector type. They are even called "DIN-something" in yurop and not "VGA" when you buy them separately.

I wish we would have had USB C when USB was new. For me, USB A is the standard and it will stay that way forever. I grew up with it and I will defend it.
I only hope USB type C will replace micro USB, because that shit is a mess. USB mini was okay, it was a lot more sturdy. It looks like a proper connector.
But this flimsy micro USB is nothing more than a joke.

I still remember it like yesterday: The moment I unboxed my Palm Pre, my first micro USB cable device, I thought for a few seconds that the cable was broken because of these tiny metal strips hanging out of there. Pic related is what I'm talking about. What the fuck is it with these?

It was only after having plugged it in that I recognized it as what it was: The de facto standard (I haven't seen such a cable before, I'm a stupid but happy early adopter kind of guy).

And why do I have to bite on the plug from time to time to prevent it from falling out of the device because it weared out?

Dunno why I missed the pic, but here it is

>What the fuck is it with these?
They secure the connector

and do a terrible job at it desu

I havent had a micro usb connector yet that didnt wiggle from side to side. Is it that hard to make it form-fitting?

>what is wireless charging

Can the Note still be upgraded with that? Didn't they make it waterproof? I'd guess that would make it non-upgradable.

I had a Note 2 I had the wireless charging upgrade.
It's based, especially when you start to realize that you can then use the USB OTG port and charge at the same time.

>being unable to hold your phone while it's charging
Sometimes I use my phone when it's on the charger.

The stock cable fits pretty snugly on my BlackBerry Q10 and Passport, as with most of my other phones.

>pick up the phone
>put it back down on the charger when you are done with it
wow that was hard

>Dell XPS13 with thunderbolt. Fucking shit meme laptop.
1200 dollars is pretty meme price, but listen to the other guy because he can maximize your system
thunderbolt is not only fast as poop it does video too.

>pick up phone from wireless charger
>plug in charging cable
hard

>come home from work or whatever with a battery at 30%
>want to watch YouTube videos or something in bed
>can't charge it while watching videos unless I do something retarded like tape the wireless charger to the back of the phone

But that upsets my autism because everything else I own charges via USB C, so it means I would need two chargers plugged in to my outlet.

how the fuck do you even use your phone so much throughout the day that you're down to 30%? get a job and if you have a job start doing actual work at your job. jesus

>be using my phone a lot before my shift starts
>play music or a youtube video over Bluetooth on the drive to work
>use it for 15 minutes on my break and 30 minutes on my lunch break
>music or a video again on the drive home
>phone is already 18 months old so the battery isn't great
That's normally how I do it desu.

USB C is great

Your laptop is shit

I don't see the problem other than you being a fucking retard

link to the usb-c hub?

what product is the white adapter

it's the Apple usbC to usbA + HDMI hub

whats the point of the usb-c female port on that device? is it simply to charge whatever you connect to it?

It can be used for charging but is also a thunderbolt 3 port at the same time.

>Where's the utility here? I don't get this shit at all.
I get how USB-C on everything everywhere could *eventually* be great. I mean.. right now (almost) every device has a Micro-USB and every computer has normal USB ports and that's really great. Back in the day every phone out there had it's own charger and data interface "just because". The fascist union told them to stop that shit and they did (except Apple, who pays regular fines instead of complying) and I really think that's wonderful.

One little detail, though... we don't really need usb type c. The current USB standards are just fine and everywhere.

> I have a single USB-C port on my shit laptop.
That's just ... stupid. Hell, my laptop has 3 normal USB ports and that's barely a minimum. My nephew's also got 3 ports and he's got two four port hubs connected which are all full of things.

> 1x Ethernet via usb3
Laptops that don't include a standard ethernet port and refer to using some dongle are just BROKEN. It's like trying to sell a car without headlights or something else that's basic.

A standard ethernet cable can be 100m. A USB-C cable can be 4m. Hopefully those who make computes and not fashion accessories won't copy apple and keep the ethernet port around.

If its just the "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter" from Apple's site, it can *only* be used for input charging (that is it can only be used to charge the laptop), right?

Its not a full thunderbolt 3 port; you cannot use it for data.

>That's just ... stupid. Hell, my laptop has 3 normal USB ports and that's barely a minimum. My nephew's also got 3 ports and he's got two four port hubs connected which are all full of things.

I also have two USB-As, headphone and power. But in terms of USB-C, there's just a single thunderbolt 3.

> it'll be a legacy device in a few years.
Actually, it will be around and very common for decades.

My new 1440p monitor has DisplayPort - which is alright, DVI-D - the superior connector of all, HDMI - that purge garbage consumer connector and guess what... a *VGA* connector. Now why does it have a VGA connector? I don't know why but I do know that every computer monitor I have has one. A lot of brand new computer motherboards, laptops and other things have a VGA connector.

Does anyone actually use it regularly? No, probably not. But it's there, it's not uncommon, and some are times you really do need it (example, schools and conference centers tend to have older projectors which only take VGA).

Fun fact: Micro USB A replaced Mini USB A because the latter's design, with its pinched sides/corners, was found to be likely to become inoperable a much lower levels of mechanical stress and standard wear from normal use. Micro USB is more durable.

Apple get their kicks,playing stupid tricks.
There seems to be no catch,no other seems to match.
Only a fool could could stray away from a usefull tool.

really?

source me, I've had many more problems with usb micro