Proper debate: Dlang vs C++

Which one is more productive?
Which one is easy to avoid exceptions?
Is C++ too big to learn (with all the libraries)?
Is D more easy tool to use?
Which one is easier to build scalable programs?

No C meme masters please. I want to pick a language for my personal project (text-editor)

Other urls found in this thread:

ddili.org/ders/d.en/Programming_in_D.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Both are shit, try APL

have you considered C?

>Is D more easy tool to use?
No one knows that because no one uses that

yes hence I made this tread

>Which one is more productive?
Either

>Which one is easy to avoid exceptions?
Either

>Is C++ too big to learn (with all the libraries)?
No

No, lack of a considerable community and lack of development makes it a non-trivial tool to use.

>Which one is easier to build scalable programs?
Either

D is honestly a good concept, but the development of it is too stagnant and the committee's reluctance to make the GC optional ensured the development of more "modern" languages such as Go and Rust.

@59257519
both are garbage

Get out.

no

Rustfag here
pick your poison:
template
function memoize(function func)
{
map cache;
return ([=](Args... args) mutable {
tuple t(args...);
return cache.find(t) == cache.end()
? cache[t] : cache[t] = func(args...);
});
}

auto memoize(F)(F func)
{
alias ParameterTypeTuple!F Args;
ReturnType!F[Tuple!Args] cache;
return (Args args)
{
auto key = tuple(args);
return key in cache ? cache[key] : (cache[key] = func(args));
};
}

C++ is a complete disaster in every way

D might be better, but it never caught on. Compiler optimization will be worse and it will have worse library support as a result.

Overall, C++ is a necessary evil, unless you want to work in C, Ada or some other ancient language. If you don't care about performance, then feel free to go with a meme language like Java, rust or Haskell; they all might be easier for you to work with than C++.

Rust is faster than C++

If C++ is slower than C in a language benchmark, then the person who wrote the benchmark is not taking advantage of the performance benefits of C++. In that case, there's no point of using C++.

Many idiomatic C++ constructs make it slower than C in real world code. I agree the compile time optimization potential given by templates should make it faster for benchmarking but that's what it is, a benchmark and nothing more.

D is superior to C++

>Many idiomatic C++ constructs make it slower than C in real world code
yeah, that's one of the main reasons I hate C++.

>Compiler optimization will be worse and it will have worse library support as a result.
literally both of these are not true

the language is less used, so less effort is put into the compiler.

the language can't use C++ libraries (as far as I'm aware), so it'll have less library support than C++.

>the compiler.
D has three compilers

>he forgot a letter. better correct him
and probably none of them have had as much effort put into front end optimization as GCC, Clang or ICC.

LLVM is actively developed and LDC is very active

LLVM is not a compiler front end, and clang is probably a lot more active. People get paid to work on clang. No one is going to do that for D.

I'M YOUR GOD NOW

>the language can't use C++ libraries

You can directly call any piece of c/++ with a simple extern.

I'm on it, senpai

Forgot the picture

It's called "DLang" because that's the noise the compiler makes when it crashed.

Haskell is one of the fastest languages

(bait)

He's right though. It depends on the compiler you use.

Golang

>Both are shit, use Rust

FTFY, you cis scum.

Was there a rust meme picture contest?

Nobody uses D. Last I heard, Facebook did something with it but I'm pretty sure they're back to using the JVM or something.

I know it may be hard for you to face and accept reality; with all the effort and time you've put in mastering your chosen language. However, reality is what it is, and currently, Rust pretty much obsoletes older system languages.

The sooner you accept it, user. The better you'll feel.

Rust is hard man

What sort of retard does one have to be to say this?

The type of retard to be bad at Rust, apparently.

you know it's hard when you see hello world needs a macro

Not just at Rust, he must be pretty bad at even the most basic activities needed to sustain life. Which is why I'm curious as to how he is still alive.
Is this really what your kind believes? I'm really sorry for you.

I'm genuinely asking about the image, you faggot.

That, I can attest to. It's by far the hardest cs subject I learned in recent years. Took me a couple of months to gain enough understanding to do something useful.

But after that, it's all down hill. In my honest opinion, the productivity gains alone is well worth the time and effort invested.

Why do pre teens get so angry for no reason??

it's the only place they can get angry without being beaten

Are you genuinely retarded?

Wow, Rust looks like garbage. I'll try D, thanks.

Fuck off kid

the one above is C++, you idiot

>I'll try D

How about you actually answer the question?

>>>/global/rules/2

Are you fucking moronic?

Fuck off

No, not that I'm aware of.

Holy shit you're all fucking retarded

Language: D is better.
Compiler: C++ wins by a hard to compare amount.

I hope some day that D catches up and C++ goes away.

what about Rust? Genuinely asking.

I like beating kids. Drop by anytime and I'll snap your tiny neck

fuck you guys for spamming this thread, eliminating quality contributions like

You're an animal.

D might not be winning the game, but Rust was never even a player.

Why

Think about it. Outside of Sup Forums and maybe a couple other very niche social media websites, have you ever even seen it mentioned? Does anyone talk about it in real life? Ever?

The whole C++ vs D marketing is honestly my biggest problem with D. D shouldn't be targeting C++ developers that want as much performance as possible(at least while it has a garbage collector). It should target the Java and Python developers by bragging that it's almost as fast as C++* while begin just as convenient. Hell it's even possible to machine translate Java to D. D could in theory have access to Java Standard Library.

* C++ and D are equal except in memory management.

I like Rust more than C++. It's memory safe. It has a lot of money behind it (unlike D) that's making the compiler perform well.
Rust has more money behind it than D, which is a big deal.

Rust is already a fairly new language, yet its performance is often comparable or better to C++.

I think D is very beautiful to read. Very clear. But Rust does have a ton of features in the language that I think are just new and take some time to get used to rather than just being plain disgusting and bad like in C++.

D could potentially outperform C++ on top of being memory safe and easier to write/read, but not unless someone dumps a billion dollars into it.
Still... a good first language to learn and use as a hobby. Skills you learn in it will translate to another language.

Mozilla and servo is going to it, do you know what servo is?

Yes. In common IT news sites and magazines, actually. And some fucko web meme companies like Google and Dropbox use it. Unfortunately, that makes it the wrong userbase.

That's the general problem of D, from day 1. They lack a clear goal.

All right, outside of Sup Forums, some very niche social media websites, some magazines nobody reads, and some inconsequential companies that could disappear tomorrow without anybody noticing, has anyone ACTUALLY heard of this vaporwave meme language that will never get out of beta?

I doubt Google and Dropbox will go out of business without anyone noticing.
Nice mental gymnastics.

I don't think I hear about Linux outside Sup Forums as much, do you think pewdiepie should advertise Rust for it being good?

The goal was to just make a better C++ pretty much.
As a LANGUAGE it's good. But that's about all it is. That's not enough to get people to switch.
It needs money behind it to make a good compiler and to get people using it.

Programming languages are a meme.

Uhhh as a programmer, I hear or see something about Rust at least 100x more than D, while I'm not really following either.

>Programming languages are a meme.
True, true.

>D is memory safe
Please tell me how true it is

You write a program in Rust, and you compile. If there are issues, the compiler won't finish and will tell you about them.

Your program will run as you intended in writing it. It won't segfault.

There are ways to explicitly write unsafe code in Rust, but the language makes it very clear you're doing that in an unsafe block. IMO, that's a good way to handle it.

I love rust, trust me. Problem is it doesn't have a book for my level of skill (intermediate)

D has this ddili.org/ders/d.en/Programming_in_D.pdf
It's a fantastic book, written just for me. However Rust books think I already know a fair amount of other languages

If a proper introductory book publishes I'll buy it in a heartbeat

>I think are just new
wrong. most of them have been around for a while now.

Everyone in here just needs to shut the fuck up, put on your big boy clothes, and learn java like a fucking professional dev. done.

Not him but I believe rust is a good collection of the goodies found in random languages

I'm impressed. The thread was spiraling out of control just a couple of minutes ago, and now it's back with proper discussions and shit.

Will my post jinx it?

yeah, that's probably true. just saying that a lot of it isn't new at all.

I meant the syntax for the features are rather different.

Rust is pretty much a hodgepodge of things learned from other languages.

delet this

this

why are people so against arbage collection? the compaction phase can give great performance boosts to long running applcations

I'm not against it

>learn a language that's almost as slow as Python and doesn't even have proper functioning closures just because it's what "professionals" used for a while

Because GC without some fancy neural network and machine learning isn't there yet. The performance is worse than properly clearing memory yourself.

But that is something I like about D. It has BOTH. You can try to manually uncommit memory optimally, and if there are any scraps you miss the GC will collect it without too much of a hit.

>If there are issues, the compiler won't finish and will tell you about them
If it detects every issue, which is not guaranteed.
>Your program will run as you intended in writing it
Semantic correctness is a way bigger problem than memory checking, which is available with any modern tool.
The main problem with Rust is they don't understand (or lie on purpose) what "safety" actually means.

Unfortunately the user feedback loop isn't a long running application.

More seriously, languages that actually have a premium ultra HDready 4k deluxe nonshit GC application come with some annoying ecosystem. For example, JVM and .Net, end of the list.

>>learn a language that's almost as slow as Python and doesn't even have proper functioning closures just because it's what "professionals" used for a while

Java runs more fucking code in the world than any other language, little child. You want a job and to stop living in your mommy's attic? Install Eclipse and fucking get learning.

Programming languages arent some kind of high art to be enjoyed. They're meant to get things done and ship products.

Not him, I'm not looking to get paid here. I just want a good language to build my application with.

Setting up IDE is trivial too.

>Java runs more fucking code in the world than any other language
[citation needed]

JS probably does. kek

But I thought Javascript is a web form of Java?

Oh you are right then

Why not Ada SPARK with the Ravenscar profile?