/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

Previous thread: If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What's the alternative for x?
alternativeto.net
linuxalt.com
Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net
Gaming news:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: * Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/10/msg00216.html
ring.cx/
liliputing.com/2015/02/elementary-os-devs-say-youre-cheating-dont-pay-free-software.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Now that Ryzen has exposed Microsofts shoddy design, which Linux distro should winbabbies flee to?

Going to take the Linux+ cert test soon, I've been working with the TestOut program that maps partially to Linux+. Do you guys have any advice before going in to test?

awesome pic

Ubuntu is usually recommended for beginners because of the large community and ease of use. Although keep in mind the default desktop environment is closer to MacOS than Windows. There's also Mint which is closer to Windows, but it's slow as molasses. Coming from Windows 10 you'll probably wonder why updates are so slow.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm going to try for the linux system admin cert from linuxfoundation.org as my first cert to try and get a entry level job. Should I install centos, suse or a buntu? I'm running slackware now but I'd like to run something they endorse.

>Ryzen has exposed Microsofts shoddy design
tell me more

Windows 7 gayming benchmarks are higher than Windows 10 supposedly. I'm not sure if it's been officially proven yet, it's just comm enters on forums right now.

Just installed Fedora. Is there any way to make everything less fuckhuge? I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding any settings relating to appearance

Linux has gone full retard the last few years in the area of appearance

GNU/Linux*

nconfig looks pretty good tb-h

I said linux distro
EVERYONE CALLS IT A LINUX DISTRO

>settings relating to appearance
>Fedora's fault

Those have nothing to do with the distro retard.

I don't recall saying that it did.

We don't think that the popularity of an error makes it the truth.

Does the Linux distro include GNU stuff? If yes, then it's a GNU/Linux distro. You were either meaning that, or you were just ironically asking which one of the elements of an empty set should they choose.

>I just purchased a red car. The CD player doesn't work, fucking red cars REEEEEEEEEEE WHY AREN'T YOU TELLING ME HOW TO FIX IT IDIOTS? I ALREADY TOLD YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW, IT'S A RED CAR reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

And this is why you're staying a retard.

>no --no-preserve-root
Why does everyone make the same mistake?

>"a red car" is as specific as "current version of Fedora"
ok

$ busybox rm --help
Usage: rm [-irf] FILE...

Remove (unlink) FILEs

Options:
-i Always prompt before removing
-f Never prompt
-R,-r Recurse

Nevermind. :^)

Is Richard Stallman the most narcissistic person on the planet? The whole GNU/Linux bullshit aside, which only the most autistic people would take seriously, what's even worse is renaming distros that already have names, in most cases trademarked. For example, Arch Linux is "Arch GNU/Linux," even though their website and logo says Arch Linux. Gentoo calls themselves Gentoo Linux, while GNU calls them "Gentoo GNU/Linux." GNU is a joke, if you can't name your product what you want, how is that "freedom?" If Linus Torvalds calls his product Linux, that's what it is. You can't just go around renaming products that already exist to fulfill your delusional, egotistic fantasies.

We are not renaming anything; we have been calling this system “GNU” ever since we announced it in 1983. The people who tried to rename it to “Linux” should not have done so.

Face it Sup Forums there are no good distros.
>Ubuntu
Botnet
>Mint
Botnet with incompetent developers
>Arch
broken packages
>Gentoo
Building from source=cancer
>Debian
Dude misogyny lmao
>(((Fedora)))
Thanks for testing rhel, goy!
>Any other distro
Meme with no users

being trademarked doesn't mean that you can't call it whatever you want
it just means that you're not allows to distribute something under that name

nice meme collection, expect meme answers

install gentoo

(((You)))

Electrical engineer here.
I switched to GNU/Linux almost a year ago and I really like it so far. However I now need to simulate some simple circuits. Can you recommend me an alternative to LTSpice? I use the terminal for a lot of my work but I'd like to do this particular type of work with a nice clicky mouse controlled GUI.

Thoroughly btfo archfag detected

I'm not saying it's illegal, just that the people behind GNU are delusional. Arch Linux is Arch Linux, not Arch GNU/Linux. And so on for every distro that specifically calls themselves "X Linux."

lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/10/msg00216.html

SYSTEMD BTFO
POETTERING BTFO
RED HAT SHILLS ON SUICIDE WATCH

see

hehe you really showed that ledditor lol

>implying that the appearance settings are in any way related to a distro or version of a distro

Go back to Windows kid.

how do I install the arc theme for firefox on icecat? also, why is icecat so far behind modern firefox?

Fairly new to Linux and installed Arch as first distros because F R E E D O M and A E S T H E T I C. Now I regularly have small issues which due to my lack of Linux knowledge and (imo) complicated solutions, take up a lot of time on occasions I don't have it.

Is Manjaro a good alternative for less issues and a little more GUI over CLI without giving up the earlier mentioned motivation?

Welcome to Linux, always good to have new users.
Manjaro is literally arch, but it has a graphical installer that installs a DE of your choice. That's it. It has its own repos, but the packages are 99% the same with about the same time until you get an updated version of a package. Any settings in manjaro are purely DE settings, and the exact same setup can be achieved with arch. If you don't want to get updates that cause problems, try a different (non rolling) distro. Any version of Ubuntu with a desktop you like is good, as are fedora and openSUSE.

IMO:
-In the end any distro can look and function like any other. Basically, pick between rolling and fixed release, and what package manager you like. Beyond that, any desktop environment works on any distro.
-most problems setting up Linux are going to exist on every distro. Some like Ubuntu have easier setup than arch.

>Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014
>being proud of posting old shit
>meming about systemd
Just stop posting

Thank you.

>arch
>freedom
>aesthetic
literally what

GNU/Linux*

I'm having issues installing amdgpu-pro on ubuntu-gnome, haven't tried other distros. Basically once I install drivers and restart, I get flashing color screens and gradients. this is on 16.04 with 16.04 drivers. Is it just an issue with ubuntu-gnome or will the same thing happen with all the ubuntu flavors? What would be an equivalent replacement with proprietary amd driver support for linux (basically what do you guys use?)

fuck off you autistic faggot. nobody thinks your fucking ebin meme is funny, it hasn't been amusing since 2009.

install gentoo XD

rude

well-memed friend.

My computer's RAM has a faulty range. I remedy that with a kernel option which specifies to skip it and it seems to work fine.

Now I want to reinstall the distribution and I want to pass the parameter to the installation ISO at boot to prevent file corruption during installation. How would I go to do that? I checked online and haven't found anything yet. I want to pass it as early as possible during the boot process.

Well, I hit TAB on the syslinux bootloader to edit it before booting the installation, I hope that's early enough to prevent corruption.

>[profession] here.
Why do you narcissists always include that line?
No one cares and it's not relevant to your question. You already specified the program's name and what it does while asking for suggestions.

What's a good guide for hardening my system?
Any protips?

Heat it up to 1200°C then dip it in ice-cold water.

see

Lost power during a storm the other night but wasn't doing anything on my home file server running debian at the time. When power did return, I tried to boot up the machine but was presented with a prompt that told me /sbin/init wasn't found and it just dumped me into a console. My data is still intact, and this is on a pair of drives running in software raid 1 that the system still mounts properly. /sbin/init doesn't look like it's there but some places I've read say that I need to create a symlink to a file elsewhere or load an init from a live CD. I'm honestly confused as to what to do at this point, but more concerned as to what caused this problem in the first place. Any ideas?

I've been playing around with iptables and fail2ban a lot, and find them extremely flexible and customizable. That combination will harden your system right up.

Aside from not running shitty code that can be exploited easily or SSH on port 22, that's the biggest one I recommend. From one noob to another.

Install GNU Ring. ring.cx/

So I see you're using bash. I'm more a zsh guy myself.

What's the difference between the two KDE Neon User Editions? User Edition vs. User LTS Edition?

Because an electrical engineer might look for different things in a program than a physicist would.
Why do you autosts always have to whine about the way people ask their questions instead of giving helpful advice?

>calls people retarded and freaks out about the fact that I didn't specify my desktop environment, computer hardware, blood type and date of birth
>somehow I'm the one who's overreacting
lmao 2bh

Systemd//GNU/Linux, please.

Neverball is funky as fuck. WHY DIDN'T I FIND OUT ABOUT THIS GAME BEFORE?!

Neverputt is even better!

I got a fucking annoying problem I cannot solve. So how do I install another distro but keep my personal folders?

Are the folders you mean in /home? If so, any decent distro will let you reuse /home. If the files are in root you may be able to chroot with something like arch, to keep your existing files (check arch wiki)

A different distribution will not solve your problem.
Backup your HOME directory and copy it over. Alternatively, keep your home directory on a separate partition, so you don't have to delete it upon reinstalls.

Archfag here. Finally upgraded my 2010 shitbox of a laptop so compiling won't be slow as fuck now. Should I try Gentoo?

>claims to be an arch linux user
>implies some sort of familiarity
>still doesn't know what constitutes a distribution
>still doesn't know what he'll "get" by building packages himself from source

and the worst of all:

>uses the cringe-worthy -fag suffix to describe himself

>Actually believing that arch is a sekrit club exclusively for experienced Linux users
Anyone who isn't a retard can install it, you're not special

Learn to read, no one implied that ARch is a secret club for the chosen ones.

Hedgewars is nice, but it feels dirty compared to Worms. Why can't Armageddon or World Party get a native Linux version? :(

Fedora or Elementary? I have had experience with Xubuntu and Debian + KDE.

It's NSA/Red Hat/freedesktop/GNU/Linux

>liliputing.com/2015/02/elementary-os-devs-say-youre-cheating-dont-pay-free-software.html
Yes, you can enter 0$. It's still pretty retarded though.

This.

Share your fedora update stories people. Do I bother with 25? Is it feasible to jump from 24 to 26?

I'm in the middle of development but I'm thinking of upgrading after I'm done.

Ubuntu/Unity

What is this white border? Can I disable it?

don't know what you're doing wrong dude... i've installed the latest amdgpu-pro drivers from the website onto clean installs of ubuntu lts 16.04 about six or seven times this year. works like a charm.

what gpu are you using?
what version of amdgpu-pro are you installing?
is your ubuntu up to date?

>at work
>everyone is supposed to use auto-updating Windows PCs
>it's slow as shit
>it's nasty
>it's annoying
>sysadmin gives out USB sticks with Ubuntu
>deletes BIOS password so I can install and boot it without network boot nuking the HDD and reinstalling Windows
>set up pc
>can install and uninstall whatever I want
>make everything comfy
>shit just werks
Fast forward a year.
>time to renew contract
>get email from HR with PDF form I'm supposed to fill out
>open PDF in evince
>plain text, says to install fucking "Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux®"
REEEEEEEE
>go to coworker's PC who is still using Windows
>boot
>literally takes 5 minutes to connect to update server etc before even booting into Windows
>booting Windows takes another minute
>logging in takes 30 seconds
>autostarts a dozen virus scanners, malware scanners, background processes
>updates, updates everywhere
>can't install Thunderbird because admin account required
>log into Microsoft® Outlook™ to open the email
>try to open PDF
>Adobe Reader is not installed
>can't install it because admin account cuckery
All this because they want fancy fucking PDF forms WITH FUCKING UPLOAD BUTTONS FOR ADDITIONAL FILES.
I cannot fathom how people can live like this. Just give me a fucking plain PDF form that I can print out, fill out by hand and slap down on your fucking desk REEEEEE
How hard can it be to create a PDF that I can open with a normal fucking PDF reader? Good job, you managed to make a document in a """portable""" document format that is LESS portable than fucking docx and other Microshit cuckery.
Yes, I am fucking mad.

*Linux/GNU

Rule of thumb for maximum stability with Fedora releases : when a new release comes out, hold out for 1 to 2 months before upgrading to the latest-1 version. So in your case you should go 25 in July the earliest

Guys I recently installed Gentoo on my Asus laptop and I can't get the touchpad to work. I tried both synaptics and libinput. what do?

I've just put a Debian minimal install on my XPS 15. I've installed wifi drivers and the interface is picked up, but I don't have any network managers to actually connect to wifi. The laptop doesn't have ethernet and I don't have a type c > ethernet adapter.

What do?

>there are no good distros.
How 'bout OpenPEPE?

>Building from source=cancer
lol wut? Something isn't cancer just because it scares you user

Also you forgot Source Mage.
Install Source Mage.
nomeme

Looks like something a compositor would do

Is ricing notifications worth it? The default i3 notifications look ugly as sin. Is there something I can replace it with without spending too much time configuring?

>default i3 notifications
i3 is a window manager and has nothing to do with notifications. You're most likely talking about dunst, which is a freedesktop notification spec compliant program and which people for some reason use with i3.
Install xfce4-notifyd and enjoy normal and decent looking notifications.

5 years later and Faenza is still one of the most neutral and complete icon themes out there. Why is there no somewhat normal icon theme that's still being updated (with latest standard changes and programs that come out)?

I'd use GNOME's icons, but some of the taskbar stuff looks straight out of 1998.

Try Paper icons.

Hello, I installed xubuntu and am so far very enjoying it. It was defiantly the right choice for me. However, I have a few questions.

1. How do I move the little bar at the top with time, volume, and all that stuff to my other monitor? I am using a laptop with a secondary display and want it on my large monitor rather than on the laptop.

2. When I was just scrolling through the catalog, I just noticed some weird scrolling, with this line type of thing across the screen, but it is not ehre in this thread. Is this something that I will have troubles with in the future? If so, is there an easy way to fix it?

3. The windows button on my keyboard no longer does anything. Is there an easy way to bind this to do something?

You should be able to bind it to do anything just like any other key. It's usually called "super" in key bindings

Protip: he's actually a first year student trying to look cool with Linux and fucking everything up instead of using Windows like all his classmates

GNU/Linux*

GNU/Linux*

Does this mean my battery is dead ?
~ » upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
native-path: BAT1
model: MS-16F2
power supply: yes
updated: lun. 06 mars 2017 19:57:40 CET (73 seconds ago)
has history: yes
has statistics: yes
battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: fully-charged
warning-level: none
energy: 1,5762 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 1,5762 Wh
energy-full-design: 86,58 Wh
energy-rate: 2,1867 W
voltage: 12,542 V
percentage: 100%
capacity: 1,82051%
icon-name: 'battery-full-charged-symbolic'
History (charge):
1488826660 100,000 fully-charged
1488826620 67,000 charging
History (rate):
1488826660 2,187 fully-charged
1488826660 10,220 fully-charged
1488826620 2,187 charging

So here's something pretty fucking weird
I don't know how qutebrowser handles fonts, but when the page is still loading it looks like the left, and afterward it looks like the clusterfuck on the right.
Any ideas?