Linux + Ryzen = Good?

Can some Linux fag explain to me why Ryzen is such a big deal to these users? Don't get me wrong I don't hate linux if anything I'm trying to learn more about it. I'll be getting an R7 soon so I wan't to know what's the big deal with Ryzen and Linux? Is it due to ECC support?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen-1700&num=1
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-7-Linux-4.11
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen1700-oc&num=1
servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-linux-benchmarks/
youtube.com/watch?v=bIbwuLdHbMg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Superfast compiling speeds, literally x1.5 of a i7 6950X

Some people were mentioning it actually has better all-around performance on linux than it does on spysoft's windows 10?

Is there any truth to that?

Yeah, only caveat of ryzen is gaming, raw performance ryzen is a beast, linux users can and will greatly benefit from it

Honestly if linux didn't suck dick for gaming I would have switched a long time ago.

hows the 1700 for servers? also arent the 1700, 1700x and 1800x the same just clocked differently

It enables linux users to quickly change anime wallpapers

Kek

Can't remember the link but a top server CPU review site looked at Ryzen and found that the 1800x performed better than all but the most expensive Xeon. We're talking a $500 CPU outperforming Xeons worth thousands and thousands of dollars.

This was 4D chess by AMD all the long. Intel will get absolutely anally devastated in the serve rmarket.

>hows the 1700 for servers?
apparently very good, looks like we still need to figure out some scheduler problems :
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen-1700&num=1
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-7-Linux-4.11
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen1700-oc&num=1
>also arent the 1700, 1700x and 1800x the same just clocked differently
yes. the 1700 is just the boy that cant run as fast as the rest of the team.

here's an overcloked 1700 @4Ghz giving the 1800x a run for its money

I found the review

servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-linux-benchmarks/

Basically Intel is fucked. Their server line is getting destroyed by a much cheaper mainstream processor.

impressive, hopefully 4.12 fixes this.

odd they didnt check that 6950x. amazing how it beats it too

more info here by Wendell -> youtube.com/watch?v=bIbwuLdHbMg

WTF I love AMD now

>wendell is talking so much,I don't even know the other guys. Are they competent?

that's only because it hasn't been patched yet isn't it? that's what the AMD guy on the reddit AMA said, but they are in Linux already

No. Ryzen will never be good...

Ryzen is THE CPU to get if you want to use Gentoo. It will make a real difference in terms of quality of every day use when compiling new packages.

ECC confirmed

THANK YOU KELLER

Ryzen beats out every Intel processor in about every thing EXCEPT gaming. And even there, it is not significantly worse.
Then there is the fact that M$ didn't do their patch day in February and apparently the Windows 10 scheduler does not work well with Ryzen CPUs (WHAT THE FUCK by the way).

And all of that at a significantly better price point than the Intel processors that are benched against the Ryzen lineup.

The real trouble is that this fucking board is almost entirely made up of fanboys.

Ryzen is incredibly good for actual real competition in the CPU market. It is also once again an actual innovation (making 8 core mainstream) that pushes technology to in the long run get better (for all of us no matter who we 'fanboy').

I'm way more impressed by its perf/watt.

>real difference in terms of quality of every day use
No it won't. With properly set up system and portage the emerge can be running in the background and you don't notice a thing. On my laptop the only real difference is that the fan is spinning at one step higher rpm than usual

IDK, I'd use Ryzen and R9 Fury-X for my next build. I like my drivers open source.

Fucking commie

It's perfect as cheap vps hardware platform, there are thousands of them (platforms) around, that using consumer grade intel hardware. It will be even better, if we ever see some DP motherboards to come alone consumer ryzen chips (i.e. not naples) for dirt cheap kvm/zen/esxi platform with great perf/watt ratio.

Hi can I say good job Mr AMD

>
>that's only because it hasn't been patched yet isn't it? that's what the AMD guy on the reddit AMA said, but they are in Linux already
Yeah, but it takes months for Microsoft to patch shit

Linux usually has better x86 performance than Windows due to the better scheduler(which you can also change to suit your arch better) and better load balancing/irq due to its server background.

I'm getting a Ryzen + Vega build in roughly 7 months. If vega is good of course.
Ryzen is definitely good enough to buy, and in half a year it'll be much easier to buy.

This.
I had used Gentoo on a Pentium 2 with around 300 MHz and 1 GB RAM as my main desktop for a while in 2006.
ionice -c3 and niceness 19 makes it a non-problem.

cgroups

and portage dir on tmpfs but that's more of a speed up/don't trash my ssd thing

>tmpfs
not helpful with 1 GB RAM

it's the future now

That is because because the Windows scheduler is broken and the motherboards are not in a state they should have even been released in (partially AMD's fault for being so late to get final silicon out to the manufacturer's).

Check back in a few months and this should all be fixed. x99 had similar issues on launch and this is a completely new architecture so everything is being done from scratch.

How big advantage is the 64kB L1i over 32kB?

same.