Kaveri v.s Sandy/Ivy Bridge

So my I've been looking to upgrade my second rig which at the moment sports an AMD Athlon II 860k with something a bit older/used, since I dont feel the AMD chip can really deliver all that great of performance.

So my question is. The Athlon currently runs at 4.2ghz what sort of performance gains should I expect if I swap it with either the old i5 2500k from Sandy Bridge or the i5 3570k from Ivy Bridge.

The GPU in the system at the moment is an R9 270X

Other urls found in this thread:

avforums.com/threads/overclocking-a-non-k-series-intel-cpu.1770582/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP here. Forgot to mention that the Intel chips would also run roughly around the 4.2ghz mark. Depending on how well I can upgrade them, and what Mobo I can manage to pick up.

Nobody?

get the 3570k on a z77 board
you get native usb 3 and pcie 3

and there will be a huge performance boost, you'll be fine for another 4-5 years, at least

Is PCI-e gen3 really all that important on a secondary computer that's ment for some light 1080p gaming and streaming?

Is the Z77 chipset a must? The motherboards rocking Z77 tend to be pretty pricey. Can the lower tier (I'm talking mid/upper mid range) chipsets overclock at all? Or is it all locked behind the Z series chipsets?

Pcie3 no, but native usb3 yes. Non native usb can cause crashes, in my experience. Not to mention shittier speed

And go for z77, you cannot overclock with the other chipsets.

pay 150 dollars for a motherboard you stupid goy

Fuck... I was told that the P67 chipset would allow overclocking on the Sandy Bridge arcitechture.

If that's true wouldnt I be better off with the 2500k?

And if not... Would something like a non K Ivy Bridge chip at stock speeds cut the mustard aswell? What sort of performance in relation to the 860k should I expect from something like a 3570 non k chip?

Tell me actual prices

Beats me. This is all stuff you need to buy from the used market. But it seems like here in Finland the average price for the 2500k ranges from 80€ to 100€ With the 3570k being around 120€ or above.

Motherboards are a whole different can of worms. They can range anywhere from 30€ on the mid/mid high end all the way up to 80€ for a top of the line Z chipset board.

Most I'm willing to spend, since this is a second grade computer is around 200€ (180 for the Sandy Bridge)

I have a locked ivy oc'd on an old p67. Has to be B3 revision and updated to the newest bios but it works. USB 3.0 and usb charging issues until I reflashed the bios a 2nd time. I should have got a z mobo but it works. All vrm and multi options are there.

I have Kaveri A10-7850 and an i7 860. In the CPU benchmarks I've preformed, they're almost the same. That should give you an idea of what you're looking at.

The A10's are also dirt cheap.

The other thing is, you could wait for the 4 core Ryzens.

ye
id just wait for ryzen i3 desu

nobody said p67 can't overclock all chips. but the proper usb 3 support is worth it, i'd say

even non-overclocked, you're still better off with a b75/h77 board and the ivy bridge cpu if you don't want to spend too much

but the i7 860 is shit. no native sata3, if any. ipc started going way up starting with the sandy bridge series

Ah so it's a massive hassle to find the proper mobo. I see, I see. Thanks for that. And thanks for that benchmark reference. Dont know if I should laugh or cry about the Kaby Lake being only a bit ahead.

Yeah but the i7 860 runs on the Nehalem core. They are the first gen Core i series chips. I never ever considered anything below Sandy Bridge.

The A10-7850 and the Athlon 860k are essentially the same chip. The Athlon just has the IGPU part disabled.

As for Ryzen this is a secondary PC that I use for streaming stuff in the living room, light gaming. I dont need anything new and cutting edge. I might consider a Ryzen 5 chip for my main rig once they're released but for this... Naah.

>nobody said p67 can't overclock all chips
>you're still better off with a b75/h77 board and the ivy
here in the us p67 going rate is around $60-70 on ebay. You can add +4 bins to almost any locked sandy/ivy that turbos. giving you 4.2/4.0 on a 3570 with just multi. and putting you about square with a new locked lake. I got the 3550 for $70 making it a pretty cheap option.

Indeed. I've been overlooking the non K skews because of their age. Having had AMD even in my main rig untill 2015 It's hard to disentangle myself from the mental picture that older stuff is going to need help with overclocking.

But if the non K skews with a bit of tweaking (BCLK?) gives performance comparable to the newest locked stuff... What's the point of opting for an unlocked model then?

just eol tech that isnt supported and p67 isnt that great. Only regret because setup was a hassle, everything is working and stable now. any p67/z68/z75/z77 mobo can oc sandy and ivy. with some z68 having pci 3.0 and some z75 and z77 having MCE locking all cores to max turbo. iirc one or two gigabyte z68s had this too.
>Dont know if I should laugh or cry about the Kaby Lake being only a bit ahead.
A great one is, the ivy is ahead 0.6% and it's apples to apples the 2nd binned locked chip of each gen. However the ivy is clocked higher

sorry if im rambling. been drinkin

as said above you can increase multi +4 from max turbo, and yes you can bclk. I've pushed mine to 4.3/4.1 @ 104.9 bclk and max multi but I need to downclock gpu and loosen ram timings to be stable. bclk can be a cunt.
avforums.com/threads/overclocking-a-non-k-series-intel-cpu.1770582/
>What's the point of opting for an unlocked model then?
shh, they'll catch on. In reality you can clock them higher and they will prob run cooler. they all start as k cpus and if they dont pass testing they are clocked lower and locked.

Well even with the multiplier increase it'll be a massive performance boost over teh 860k if they're within shouting distance of the locked Kaby Lakes...

And it'll be -massively- cheaper too, which is just the thing.

Do Ivy Bridges have a problem with RAM speeds, btw? The second rig is currently rocking 8 gigs of 1866mhz RAM, do I need to downclock them or will they just pop right in and automatically run on the max speed supported by Ivy Bridge/chipset.

tweaking the bclock fucks up your system, don't even try to overclock a non-k chip. they're good enough anyway when not under oc

post more kot

Buy only Kaby Lake

More kot

>Kaby Lake
Ayy lmao. Your shilling is a bit too apparent bruh.