Coding noob here

downloaded atom to use for my future projects and I'm finishing up the php course on code academy. I have a few questions.

1. Is a text editor what I should be using or should I be using something else that also executes my code?

2. did I install atom wrong? Are all of the applications files suppose to be on the side like that? It's flaring up my autism.

3. what is the crlf utf-8 and php in the bottom right corner?

Other urls found in this thread:

jetbrains.com/phpstorm/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1. A text editor is fine, if you want to run/debug code then what you want is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) For PHP something like jetbrains.com/phpstorm/ for example.

2. Atom shows all the files the the current working directory of the editor.

3. crlf indicates the line ending mode. In this case Carriage Return + Line Feed, which is standard on Windows, Linux and macOS tend to use lf. utf-8 is the text file encoding, which means that you can use unicode characters and they will be saved in 2 bytes. php denotes the language of the file you are editing.

>php

whats the point?! PHP is dying and nobody uses it anymore.

Learn C, Python and do something useful. Learning PHP is an ancient meme from the early 2000's lol.

Theres a reason why Harvard replaced PHP with Python in their latest edition of CS50.

Don't dismiss PHP so easily, it is still widely used and developed.

But I have to agree, it is probably better to learn Python, Ruby Rails, NodeJS or the like, but if you are trying to learn the basics of programming go with what you feel comfortable with or find the easiest to grasp.

>atom

>php

>code academy

My first project is going to be a wordpress plugin. I've been working with wordpress for years so I figured it was time to actually learn php correctly.

I will also learn javascript, jquery and python.

I plan on downloading a local server xampp. I noticed it only contains MariaDB, PHP, and Perl. Will I still be able to use javacript and jquery? Or javascript and jquery don't matter because that is front end development? Sorry I'm just kind of lost.

Also I've noticed most hosting companies use MYSQL instead of MariaDB. Could this potentially cost me any problems if I code in the environment and then try to run a plugin or theme that uses a different database language? Are the languages even different or is it just a different library?

Am I going to die?

better free resources for learning? I learn by doing , but I at least like to understand why things work and a general outline of things.

why would they make it like that? why the fuck would I want to see all those package files and license files and shit? I can close it and it hides them all, but now I cannot create a folder or file outside of it. Is there a way to do so?

I highly suggest suicide.

Judging by your wording I can already tell you are too dumb for any logical thinking required to do any sort of programming.

Maybe try something else? I heard Mc donald's is hiring?

>utf-8 is the text file encoding, which means that you can use unicode characters and they will be saved in 2 bytes.
Or 3. Or 1. Or 4.

I highly suggest suicide.

Judging by your wording I can already tell you are too dumb for any logical thinking required to do any sort of programming.

Maybe try something else? I heard McDonald's is hiring?

I don't know user-san he sounds smarter than a cunt like you.

I've made thousands of dollars from running websites on the side that I've edited and built myself. I'm learning and enjoy doing so, stay mad.

Money is not a reflection of ones intelligence.

Neither is a post on Sup Forums.

I wish someone would reprogram Vim to do everything that Atom does by default.

He literally told me I'm too stupid to do something I've already done.

>better free resources
torrents are free to download

learn vim lol

You are too stupid to do it properly.

>using atom
>using PHP
>asking questions that can be solved by thinking for 3minutes
>asking what utf-8 is, what PHP is on the bottom right

From your first question we can conclude you have absolutely no fucking clue what happens inside a PC

From your second question we can conclude you have no general idea how UIs are laid out, what they consist of, or even what a folder/dropdown list is

From your third question we can conclude you dont know what encoding is, or what CLRF is, and from that we can conclude the only website you'll ever make is something that shows current time because everything else that requires handling that will probably have more exploits than Windows kernel (if you even know what a kernel is?).

It's because of people like you that people dont appreciate the hard work and sweat it takes to make something that works properly. Sure it looks easy to make a site/app, but it looks easy because of all the knowledge and experience behind it.

Every word in a post was produced as a result of using your brain, and so it can be considered a proper reflection of ones intelligence.

Use a trip or fuck off.

Webdev here, imo its shouldnt really be that hard, i started with ruby rails and mostly did scaffolds, didnt have a clue how to do only what i needed, and i didnt care at the time as long as it worked. This guy is just starting out, cut him some slack
(But OP should probably have started with google before flinging his shit into the monkey cage that is Sup Forums)

Fuckin lol at how mad you are. Nothing wrong with learning php retard. Also nothing wrong with asking questions. Cry more and keep my thread bumped bitch.

So someone telling you what you are doing wrong is him being mad?

What did I do wrong? I asked a few questions. He didn't explain shit, he just assumed I don't know a bunch of things.

I've already been successful in this area, so I must be doing something right :)

You can't develop anything if you dont know basics such as what UTF8 stands for in the right corner or what PHP stands for.

What is your definition of doing something right? If it works is it "right" ?

Link one of your projects I'll show you how delusional you are

When doing webdev you tend to work in multiple files at once so it's there so you can pick the files to work in quickly and easily.
If you don't like it, disable it and use CTRL-N to make new files and make new folders in windows explorer when saving the file.

When talking about those languages you have to keep in mind how they are executed.
SQL and PHP are executed on the server which is why you will need something like MAMP or XAMPP to execute the code you write, or also webapps like WordPress. JavaScript is a client-based language, meaning the code is executed by the client, in this case the browser.
That means if you write js, it will execute if you have a server or not.

I was asking why it's in the corner, when i clicked on it it wasn't doing anything.

I've made tons of money doing this and I want to learn more. All I have right now or websites and I'm not linking them on here.

if you don't want to help why continue to post?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn something you know nothing about.
If him learning PHP and webdev is a way to get into computers and how stuff works, what's so wrong about that.

Thank you

No prob man, I like when people make an effort to learn something new.

If you cant figure out why it's in the corner then you should just stick to browsing 9gag.

Because Im trying to tell you that in your way of learning you will reach the middle but everything you did before it was wrong. You cant just move on because something "works", not even in webdev.

Because he will cause harm to all those people he charged money once they get popped by a simple sqli mapper/some wordpress exploit. All because this guy doesnt know what UTF8 stands for.

He obviously is not happy with his life. Nobody who is acts so irrational. Especially for asking harmless questions.

Which is the exact reason he's actually trying to learn it to do right, if I understood that correctly.
Are you saying nobody should be able to learn something because they can't do it perfectly from the beginning?

Honestly I think he's just some edgy newfag who has heard about Sup Forums on Facebook and tries to fit in by acting like an asshole.

Thanks I'll be lurking all the programming threads.

I don't browse 9gag, you sure do make a lot of assumptions. Projecting perhaps?

They shouldnt charge money to people. Sure everyone can make pizza shop website with contact.php , but when some guy scans the internet with some eval spam script and he finds OPs site thats where real devs vs self-taught code artisans difference shows up. If he cant figure out what UTF8 /PHP/CLRF stands for in AN OPEN .PHP FILE IN A TEXT EDITOR it means he has no fucking clue how strings are represented

I have over 13 years of experience in C/ASM. Step up.

Lol this, I even bought the mike meyers a + certification book. I know the 2 aren't related but all of this stuff interests me. I'm just trying to better myself.

>codeacademy
Are you some fucking twelve year old who wants to be a hacker?
Get a fucking cracked Lynda account for £3 pleb.

I don't charge money to anybody, more assumptions based on absolutely nothing.

What makes it better than code academy?

Isn't PHP one of easiest ways to get into development? I see hundreds of PHP job postings everyday. I mean the language itself I guess is memey but it'll land you a decent paying job.

>I have over 13 years of experience in C/ASM. Step up.
So I guess you just knew it from the start and never had to learn anything.
Also, any proof on that claim? Since anybody I know that has this much experience in programming isn't assmad about a newbie trying to figure out stuff. Why does this matter so much to you? If you're actually a good programmer him learning how to do this doesn't harm you in any way imaginable.

My guess is he hates his job and is mad I mentioned I make money doing this on the side.

He just thinks he's some special snowflake and nobody should learn programming because it's too hard and only he can do it. There's a lot of that on Sup Forums.

>Money is not a reflection of ones intelligence.
it often is though
it's generally a reflection of intelligence + ability to apply that intelligence IRL
there's definitely a correlation between income, IQ, and confidence

To a certain extent yeah. But I work with people in managerial positions who make 110k a year and are fucking stupid. It's true in some cases but definitely not all.

>To a certain extent yeah. But I work with people in managerial positions who make 110k a year and are fucking stupid. It's true in some cases but definitely not all.
Well yeah, there are always exceptions. Muh bell curve and such

Edgelord

Someone did?? All the plugins??

Could you please make a decision already?
Fuck off or use a trip. It's not a very hard decision to make.

Why? Its not my problem you are too retarded to filter me.

Could you please make a decision already?
Fuck off or use a trip. It's not a very hard decision to make.

1. Yes.
2. No, that's how it's supposed to be.
3. Read these articles:
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
PHP at the bottom is what Atom is interpreting your code as, for syntax hilighting and whatnot.

To be fair, he said he was a noob

>utf-8 is the text file encoding, which means that you can use unicode characters and they will be saved in 2 bytes.
This is fucking wrong! For example, all ASCII characters are encoded in one byte.

This. UTF-8 is a multibyte encoding.