Win10 vs Linux

Is Windows 10 a better programming environment than Linux?

I have 7 on my desktop, and Linux on my laptop. Had a bad time with programming on my desktop, but had a bad time printing shit with my laptop (yes, granted, we have Brother and Canon printers).

I would say yes because it can display ads that might help you become a better programmer.

Suppose I'm a pirate.

Nah. It's not a bad programming environment but that's purely because it's not a bad OS (Sup Forums would have you think otherwise, but I remember the windows 95/98 days, kill me).

But linux has much more functionality for terminal-based approaches.

So I use OSX for development. My environment includes iterm2, fish, tmux, macvim, and hammerspoon (for WM). I have an ergodox as well, so I have a highly customized keyboard driven env.

I'm switching to windows now though because I got a win10 machine from work that's a beast.

Here are the things that I am doing with my win10 as I transition that's making it into a solid dev machine;

- Install WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux or Bash on Windows). I'll be installing zsh, tmux, and configuring vim with quite a few plugins.
- Get a better terminal, like Cmder
- Get choco package manager for powershell
- Configuring Visual Studio Code. After 5 years of vim development, I can say that as an editor, it's shit, what vim truly offers is modal editing, which can be achieved in any editor, including more awesome modern ones like VSCode.
- If you need a window manager, look into Windawesome. Seems to do a great job.

Seems legit.

Thats quite impressive actually

And the telemetry means that MS can give you tips on your code and how to better properly format your anime folders

Win 10 is fine. You can use the WSL for basic linux commandline stuff. PowerShell kinda sucks, but is usable (using it nowadays, there are painful points)

C# is fins, VS Code is fine (supported on linux also), and VS is a ine IDE imho. Win 10 is mostly ok, but if you target Linux, you may be better off with doing it from Linux. (VS 2017 will support gcc, clang and linux remote debugging ootb)

>STILL using windows 10
Even microsoft wants to transition away from Win32 shit.

both are garbage

/thread

IntelliSense alone is better than anything lunux carbage from the 1980s has to offer.

Pretty smart
>knows that linux, especially gentoo is mainly useful for embedded shit
>knows that OSX and win7 are the best but also knows that apple makes shit tier hardware so he uses a hackintosh

Windows 10 is better because you can't really pirate Linux. I feel more hardcore when I pirate, even if the OS is worse.

Wait, so when you guys say install Gentoo, you really mean buy a Macbook and install Google Chrome?

>Is Windows 10 a better programming environment than Linux?

Absolutely haram.

To fix your printing now and forever, share the printer from your windows machine and connect to it using Samba.

In the future, get the correct drivers from Brother, as they support Linux on their machines.

good

but cmder is not good that things literally chokes up on any heavy text output

sadly cygwin has one of the best (fastest) terminal that does not sucks on windows

which is actually mintty

The only reason I use windows 10 atm is the scaling for high DPI.

Yeah. That's the meme, congratulations you've finally caught up. No one actually uses Linux on the desktop.

is this good or bad? genuinely asking.

i've tried programming c, c++ and rust on both and it's far easier on linux because it's easier/faster to install libraries and I never have struggles with it unlike on windows where it's a struggle everyday.

True. I still prefer Windows tho because VS is top. For small projects and webdev Linux is cool.

GUYS

How do I prevent windows 10 from stealing my info?
How to get proper privacy?
I rely heavily on torrents. My last windows 7 computer went bust.

Linux and FreeBSD is objectively better because of distraction free environment. Plus *nix are particularly development friendly since the console is so much more useful than that of windows.

building modules, usage of git, vim control flow: all are so fluid in *nix you don't even have to take your hands off the keyboard.

Start using Linux. I only used my windows laptop for games and now it's catching dust.

I can't. It's a family computer and most of them are tech illiterate.

Just say that is a new windows update

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

Interesting, but understandable.

this quote is never going to die is it?

as a noob, which gnu distro should i pick up to start with? i want to use something with linux just to try, reccomend whatever you like and think it'll make me apreciate what this os goes about
thanks in advance

Make sure to buy a 1TB harddrive to install your Visual Studio bloat in its designated defecation area.

ubuntu gnome