EGPUs

Red pill me on eGPUs Sup Forums would it be a good way of turning my ultrabook into a gayming laptop?

Other urls found in this thread:

tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85334015&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>just the GPU enclosure costs $600 then another $600 for the actual GPU
>you can build a powerful desktop for that $
>cheaper to buy a 1060/1070 pascal laptop straight up

What if I already have a GPU

They're useless garbage until they're affordable. I'd give em 100 bucks for case + power supply.

Then you need a $2000 laptop with thunderbolt 3 and the $500 egpu case. Congrats. You just spent heaps of money to make a stationary gaming setup.

Then build a normal desktop PC around it. Cause laptops are meant to be portable and you're not going to carry the fucking massive GPU and its case around, are you?

Wait until someone releases one for $400 or less, but if you absolutely need it, buy it. There's not many other options for boosting your ultrabook gayming performance.

If you already have a good GPU it's cheaper than buying a gaymin laptop on sale ($1000-1200 gtx 1060, $1400-1600 gtx 1070).

gayming laptops aren't a meme anymore tho imo, pascal laptops are beasts.

ur still wasting 600.
bottleneck and fps drops inc.

>gaming laptops aren't a meme
You serious?

You may as well have a fucking e-PC, and use your laptop as a monitor.

Useless garbage, never buy one.

>if you absolutely need it
I can think of zero likely scenarios in which anyone would need an external GPU enclosure.

If they don't want a desktop and don't want to lug around a super beefy gayming laptop

There already is one, Akitio Node.

It's quite barebones as it has no I/O except for the thunderbolt input and your GPU output. It sells for around 300$ so its not that bad of a deal.

cool concept but you're better off just having a self built desktop or a gaming laptop

LAN parties, maybe.

Main issue is indirect sometimes: The CPU often caps. I have an i7 sandy bridge on a laptop which is still a strong machine but it caps on anything above 1-thread or 2-thread use.
and it doesn't just need dedusting.

The enclosure forces you to become stationary. At that point you might as well buy a separate desktop.

You get amazing price performance in desktops too.

>don't want to lug around a super beefy gayming laptop
How's lugging around a beefy case with a GPU inside that you have to plug to the main power any different?

GPU enclosures are significantly more portable than even mini itx desktops. You may be stationary but relocating isn't nearly as cumbersome.

>If they don't want a desktop
There's where someone went full retard and can't explain why, whether practically or financially.

Well the shit ones are. I'd replace my desktop with a 1070 laptop no problem, and they're on sale for like ~$1450, not too bad compared to the 980m days of $2500 shittops that barely competed with desktop components.

You can get the "chinkdelux" setup on a budget, cheapie mpcie to pcie x16, pico 6 pin power connector usually comes with it, then slap in a low power card like a 1050ti

I did it with a gt 210 for my ThinkPad t42
Its near aids tier performance but a lot better than the mobile radeon 7500

>If they don't want a desktop
Why wouldn't they want a PC, but would want an external GPU enclosure? Where is the rationale?

There isn't enough space in their 30,000 litre room?

Problem is that they cost the same as a fucking mini ITX desktop.

Can someone explain that btw.? What is in there that is so expensive?

Dan A4 SFX is smaller than the Razer eGPU case, Node 202 is larger but not by much.

Nothing has expressport nowadays that ca n externally use pcie.
Besides TB

The ultimate brainfuck redpill: it works fine
you'll be CPU limited in CPU-heavy games but otherwise you'll get pretty good performance, it's definitely worth it if you want a midrange card and you don't want to build an entire PC.

Except that you're a full retard if you don't want to build an entire PC. That "don't want" is meaningless and stupid.

>that tiny case
I'd hate to imagine how hot those components get under load.

>pascal laptops are beasts.
Yeah, because nvidia upped the TDP, AGAIN. I can't believe mobile GPUs actually got WORSE. As our great leader would say, SAD.

>That "don't want" is meaningless and stupid.
Shut up you stupid little child, there are many cases where it makes sense to pick up a midrange GPU to use with your laptop and save yourself some money. Not all of us spend 12 hours a day playing video games.

The Razer eGPU case is almost the same size and has a PSU and GPU stuffed in it, it's not that much better. Therefore it's a stupid reason to say the Razer case is significantly better if you're talking about thermals. Secondly, that tiny case has been thermally tested.

Not really, look at it this way. With a full fledged desktop you're pretty much bound to a single location (within a degree of convenience) unless you invest in a mini itx setup which has its problems too. I see eGPUs appealing to people that don't want to be restricted to one place without sacrificing too much performance. Also having the GPU outside the laptop helps with weight, heat, battery life and overall portability of your laptop.

The only thing that works with eGPU is shitty old Thinkpads and Razer laptops. Nobody want to buy those junk just to use an eGPU. "Many cases", huh?

Do you realise the irony of this post in a gaymen laptop thread? They're not magical and now they deal with a combined TDP north of 200 watts with AT MOST two fans. The two tiny case are quite well cooled by comparison as most builds would have at least three fans.

I never specifically mentioned the razer case, the core isn't the only enclosure in the market. Also the lack of a CPU will significantly bring down the thermals in the enclosure compared to the itx case.

yep. mobile computers are not ideal for high workloads because they can't exhaust the heat fast enough. i have an i7 6600U in my Yoga X1 and it only does you so much good when the fan can only run so much air to cool the thing down.

portability is key. as far as price, even if you have USB-C on a computer, that's still no guarantee of eGPU support. the market is tiny and willing to pay a premium so they're charging oodles now.

as more laptops become thunderbolt via USB type C compatible and the market grows, ideally the price will drop.

I imagine these for students. Gaming setupnin dorm. Takes lappy to class where they dont need gpu. Why this so hard to imagine? Who da fuck would carry around the gpu box ya tard.

Back in my day we made our own eGPU setups, and it was a lot fucking cheaper. You can DIY, you don't need a Razer™ GamerCase™ eGPU SPEED MOUNT™

>yep. mobile computers are not ideal for high workloads because they can't exhaust the heat fast enough. i have an i7 6600U in my Yoga X1 and it only does you so much good when the fan can only run so much air to cool the thing down.
Yeah I figured it was kinda a waste of money to not be MAX a 4core/4thread.
Those machines are probably most optimal with a 2core/2thread sadly.
I haven't fully de-dusted the vents lately to retest but I doubt it's that.

>Those machines are probably most optimal with a 2core/2thread sadly.
*2core/4thread I meant

Not that guy but for the cost of these things you might as well build a desktop instead and have that in addition to your laptop. Gaymen laptops, while retarded, at least have the veneer of "portability"

It's easier to move a GPU enclosure to places especially if it's for decent but not lengthy breaks. Who wants to lug a desktop from campus back home on breaks?

The easy answer: don't play vidji when you're home on break and spend some time with your family.

See Do you really want to "lug" a heavy e GPU with you user? Either way, you're talking about setting up something semi stationary.

If I get a desktop I sacrifice my ultrabook usage. You seem to be forgetting the array of peripherals involved in contemporary desktop use.

I did some research and it seems egpus are only worth investing in if you get the video card for free or scrapped from a different project. Typically the pci-e or thunderports on existing laptops limit the bandwidth so you only get a fraction of the performance from the videocard. - wasting the money

Still there are egpu kits that cost maybe 80$ W/o a power supply.

I think egpus will be more common in 5yrs.

The only extra peripherals you need are the keyboard and the monitor. If you're gaming on a laptop I assume you already have headphones and mouse. I don't get what "sacrifice my ultrabook usage" means. The only things that matter is the amount of money spent vs the equipment you get. Your OCD about using the same equipment 100% of the time is pointless OCD.

laptop CPU will most likely bottleneck your gpu

i feel an egpu setup only really makes sense at the lower end, if you already happen to have a compatible laptop and a loose gpu in the parts drawer. used x220 ($120, but maybe you already had something with an accessible pcie lane being productive for you), exp gdc beast adapter ($50), power adapter ($15), 750 ti (free from a friends old desktop), and now you can play overwatch at a decent quality on a computer that wouldn't even start it before.

much more than that, and you're starting to throw money into a hole that could go towards a better solution, like a real ass desktop or (god forbid) a gaming laptop. those thunderbolt enclosures seem like way too much for a use case which i define as "have a game run *okay* on a shitty laptop that wouldn't do it otherwise, for not a lot of money"

Desktop:
Highest performance
No, to severely impeded, mobility
External monitor and keyboard required not to mention copious cables

eGPU+Ultrabook:
Less performance
Lightweight, long battery life as you don't always need to use the GPU
Relatively more portable

It's not hard to see how the desktop is more powerful but on that same token it's not hard to see how the eGPU+ultrabook is more portable.

Doesn't matter much at higher resolutions.

You seem to be saying that the desktop means that you can't get a laptop. Also I like that you repeatedly use an Intel marketing term.

In reality, the external GPU is so expensive that you can simply replace the eGPU with a desktop and keep your Intel buzzwordbook.

Firstly, the argument is Desktop + ultrabook vs eGPU + ultrabook.
Having a desktop means you're free to use any laptop of your choice, not those limited to having pci-express or thunderbolt ports.
Secondly, a Node 202 case will be as portable as any PSU + eGPU setup.
Thirdly, there are actually portable 15.6" and 17.3" inches portable monitors if you know where to look.

Ul·tra·book
ˈəltrəˌbo͝ok/
nountrademark
noun: ultrabook; plural noun: ultrabooks
a thin, lightweight form of laptop having similar functionality to an ordinary laptop but lacking some of its hardware features.
"if I want a PC I will buy a desktop and if I want something more portable I'll buy an Ultrabook"

I use it because it's a widely recognized term for a lightweight, thin laptop

You both seem to be ignoring all I said about monitors, keyboards and wires in regards to overall portability. Even disregarding the size of the desktop case an eGPU+Ultrabook setup is inherently more portable. Price is literally the only concern here.

>Cherrypicking an unofficial definition to suit your needs
tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85334015&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

It's literally an Intel trademark.

It LITERALLY says "noun TRADEMARK" in the definition I gave. Regardless I fail to see what this has to do with the topic being discussed. Just because Intel came up with it means it's somehow inferior?

Are you really going to use an eGPU with the built in keyboard? Seriously? The same goes for the screen. Also, there's this new thing called "bluetooth" now. I think it's a dental disease that makes people allergic to wires, you should check it out.
>Price is literally the only concern here.
If price is literally the only concern then the rest of your post is irrelevant, unless you're using the word for emphasis in which case please die in a fire.

The extra size difference is an extra monitor and keyboard and their wires.
There are inherent advantages to having two separate systems due to the poor availability of replacement parts of a laptop. They make up for the size differences.

>Regardless I fail to see what this has to do with the topic being discussed. Just because Intel came up with it means it's somehow inferior?
This is being discussed because you repeatedly used a buzzword instead of the word laptop and then ignored everything else when that was pointed out to you. You've ignored several points from both myself and the other user(s) just to get annoyed at someone for pointing out your buzzword use.

I'm literally only advocating for eGPU+Ultrabooks in the case of optimal portability while maintaining decent graphical performance (inb4 gaymen laptop), obviously if you don't need to move around much and don't mind spending a lot of time setting up desktops are superior in every way.

All ultrabooks are laptops but not all laptops are ultrabooks.

I made a specific comment to address this silly word choice nitpicking, I'm addressing your other points as well.

>optimal portability
That shit takes a TOLL on your back. Ever carried one of the heavyweight chinkpads? That case looks like it weights more.
Just set up streaming from your desktop computer if you want to gaym on your laptop.

I can also advocate for decent graphical performance by going home to play games on a mini-ITX desktop while having optimal portability with the Macbook Air.

Ok so what happens if you go on a vacation or some place besides your home but don't or can't bring your entire rig with you (assuming you want to). Wouldn't you like some kind of compromise?

>streaming games
Enjoy your latency

>a lot of time setting up desktops
The time difference between setting up a desktop and setting up a laptop with an eGPU is negligible, if it exists at all. There is no portability difference between an eGPU setup and an mitx build with a small screen. At this point you're just trolling.

You are already sacrificing your latency by going Wi-Fi, unless you are used to carrying a Cat6 and a hub for good measure, and then looking for a port.

And your choice in using buzzwords is still stupid. I pointed it out as an aside in a post addressing other things and you decided to go off on a tangent.

>Go on vacation
>Bring laptop and gayman GPU
...uwotm8?

Carrying a monitor, case, keyboard, mouse, additional wires

vs

Laptop, eGPU enclosure, Mouse

It's clear which one is superior in terms of portability.

I can easily carry a mouse, laptop and eGPU in my backpack. Not so much a desktop setup even if it's mini-itx

>your choice in using buzzwords is still stupid

Well that's just like your opinion man

>going off on a tangent

You started it for bringing up a pointless pet peeve of yours

Actually, that's what I designed my mini-ITX rig for. I'm able to bring my mini-ITX system with dual portable HDMI monitors. Those monitors are laptop sized and fit in a laptop bag.

I forced you to ignore other things by pointing out your regurgitation of Intel marketing. Yes user, nothing is your fault. You had no influence over your actions and you're just a victim. Poor little thing.

You managed to fit a mini-itx rig, a keyboard, and two monitors into a backpack? Impressive.

Nothing was ignored, you just refused to look at my other posts. I fail to understand what you're trying to accomplish. Whatever floats your boat though.

>I can easily carry a mouse, laptop and eGPU in my backpack. Not so much a desktop setup even if it's mini-itx
>I can easily carry a laptop and a bulky enclosure but I can't carry a screen the size of the laptop and a case the size of the enclosure
I hope you realise how stupid you sound right now, it's going from funny to hilarious.
>But muh wires!
Yes, the eGPU works with Qi chargers and Bluetooth nowadays.

>not to mention copious cables
?

>you just refused to look at my other posts
I addressed your other posts with other posts, where getting you to address something is like pulling teeth. That explains why you're so eager to continue this tangent, it gives you relief from having to touch anything of substance.

Except that makes no sense since I'm clearly covering the other points. Try harder.

>I'm clearly covering the other points.
No, you're not. You've consistently ignored everything that now at least three anons have been saying. It's pretty funny, actually.

Yeah but unless things got way better once the DIY front since years ago when I autistically researched how to do it, you have to take a performance hit from bandwidth constraints.

Of course if there's DIY thunderbolt shit that also uses thunderbolt I suppose you're good.

laptop+mouse+enclosure+two power cables

vs.

monitor+itx rig+mouse+keyboard+whatever optional peripherals (webcam, external USB mic) etc

Tell me which one looks easier to carry, and which one allows you to bring a fully functional computer with you on the go-go

Please lay out what I'm ignoring since you're so aware :^)

*On the DIY front

>this thread
just buy the shitty thing. it is fucking obvious that you already made up your mind because your arguments in favor of getting it are retardo tier.
you just wanted approval to buy an overpriced tech toy because you thought it was cool. so get it instead of dimissing every argument that tells you it's a stupid idea.

Not the same person, but the issue I personally find with shelling out for that extra portability is that it fills too narrow of a gap. I have a prodigy M and my basic peripherals, all of which are easy to grab and put in the car if I need to move.

If I'm just going to class or a coffee shop during the day, I'm not going to need the power of an eGPU.

>webcam, external USB mic
Are you saying that you actually use a webcam in the age of smartphones? Also lol @ you Implying any built in laptop mic is anywhere close to a USB microphone. At best they're equivalent to the one in a dollar store headset.

As for the keyboard, yeah, you're really going to use the built in keyboard for gaming.

Sshhh, this is funny. The retard is funny.

Im not saying it's for everybody and never was, but I do see it being useful for people that want as close to desktop performance as you can get without giving up your ultrabook form factor laptop, assuming you are in a scenario where bringing a desktop setup isn't really practical. I could see this being used by students who don't want to or don't have a way of bringing a bunch of stuff with them on breaks, etc

This isn't an argument.

I could see it if said student doesn't have a car, luckily I do so the itx desktop fits

Neither is anything you've come up with so far but please, don't stop, I haven't laughed so hard in years.

Dude, it is fucking obvious.

>thinly veiled "please tell me that my urge to buy this piece of hardware is justified" OP
>"it's not"
>"but what about situation X?"
>"it's not"
>"reeee"

Just buy it man, it is obvious that you already decided you want it and nothing we say can change your mind.

>don't have a way of bringing a bunch of stuff with them on breaks, etc
But again, the eGPU is the size of a fucking mitx build, at that point the keyboard isn't what's breaking you, the lump of a case is. Either way, the size difference is negligible which puts the favour firmly in the mitx builds court for tons of other reasons.

Laying down situations where an eGPU setup would be completely reasonable isn't supporting the argument that outright disregarding them is stupid?
Oh ok...

There have been numerous people in this thread telling you that the advantage is so negligible that it is not worth the insane price.

Yet you insist that really it is preferable to any alternative, despite having to pay the price of a midrange PC just for the enclosure.

So clearly you really want it and thus don't care about the cheaper alternatives. In which case, just buy it.

You're bringing the additional stuff along with having to bring a laptop. Unless you are just going to be using the desktop which leaves you with nothing if you need to go out somewhere. Also what size monitors are you fitting in these backpacks? 15 inches? Not only does that seems like a pain in the ass but with the use of an external keyboard at usual desk placement that doesn't not seem like a particularly enjoyable viewing experience