At what point in your life did you realize that GNU Emacs is the most powerful text editor?

At what point in your life did you realize that GNU Emacs is the most powerful text editor?

Other urls found in this thread:

emacswiki.org/emacs/FootSwitches
youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo
docs.racket-lang.org/quick/index.html#(part._.Objects)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When I decided to learn it over vim
I've thought about learning vim later, but having to do shift+semicolon every two seconds to input a command would be horribly uncomfortable for me.

I've been using Vim for over a decade and am slowly transitioning to Emacs.
I always hated Vimscript. LISP is so much cleaner.

awhile ago.

I like my pinky.

Hence no, never.

When I realized that "most powerful" means "easiest to modify in ways nobody ever should".

The moment I realized that if I wanted to be proficient in it, I had to waste endless hours to learn a new language, a new editor and read shitloads of manuals/books to perform task readily available in other editors.
>and still can't get signatures of binaries DLL for .NET

bitch that's why you get the footpedals like a pro

People actually use that shit in enterprise setups I shit you not

>footpedals
I thought it was meme
>emacswiki.org/emacs/FootSwitches

I wish this was meme
>still laughing

I wonder if anyone uses chord keyboards like Doug Engelbart did.

A year and a half ago.

emacs is a superb operating system but a poor text editor.

Last summer, when I decided to start using spacemacs. While a superb editor it does have some flaws, for instance I have never experienced a vim crash, but I've had spacemacs crash plenty of times. This happened because of various layers/plugins though, and it's a small price to pay.

>Vimscript

>footpedals
>Not using dildos
youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo

>tfw actual professionals use deldo

damn, to late
>inb4 samefag

But any real bigmacs pro would bind Ctrl and meta to the keys directly to the right of the spacebar so you can use your thumb.

emacs rewrite when

in node.js? :^)

>>Not using dildos
>in & out for control
>squish & relax for meta
The future requires lube

nah in C but with a proper extension language and without support for 60000 obscure platforms

and without the preprocessor abuse

>proper extension language
>literally too stupid to understand elisp

when I bought my wrist guard for RSI

elisp is slow garbage, literally any other lisp is better

Na, I like UNIX too much to switch.

A few years ago. I still use vim, though. Even with evil mode, I don't feel ready to use emacs full time.

this is gonna sound retarded but i was reading the examples here and trying to replicate them in emacs
docs.racket-lang.org/quick/index.html#(part._.Objects)
i noticed that for some reason emacs' automatic indentation DOESN'T let me align the brackets like in the example, everything needs to be on its own line

is there a way to fix it?