/wt/ watch thread

Subject says it all: It's a watch thread.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xLhewhLJ450
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sup /seiko/

What seikos do you have on order?

I'm waiting for my Owlpenis to arrive.

The only Seikos I own are two quartz pieces, an old chrono and pic related. Both gifts

On the look out for a fair priced Lord Marvel or Dani KS.

If money was no object right now I'd go for a Spring Drive

I'm making a list

What are your top 5 most iconic Seikos?

Can a regular joe learn to service a watch? Do any of you do it yourself?

From what I gather, the cost of getting a Seiko or Orient shitter serviced would probably be greater than or equal to the cost of the watch. I also see that parts are hard to get for regular people. Is most servicing just cleaning and oiling or are parts usually needed? Do you just hope you can just buy a replacement movement for $50 on ebay in 5-10 years?

I've got this blue sunburst LM Special in for service. The dial, hand and movement are going to get swapped into the 5206-6061 case I have.

Took me a long time to find one of the blue sunburst dials with simple baton indices.

>Purposefully making a frankenwatch

For what reason?

>Iconic
You'll have to ask someone else for nominees from before the late 1960s, as that isn't my specialty.

For 1965-1975 I would say either the 45GS or 45KS has to make the list, as it is the caliber Daini used to BTFO the Swiss at the chronometer trials.

The original Astron also has to make the list.

The 62mas probably has to make it also.

62MAS, 6105, 44GS, the original astron, and the snowflake

I own both, and can always swap back if I ever want to sell them.

The two models used the same dial code, however the blue sunburst variant was only offered in the hideous 5206-6120 case. I happen to already have a 5206-6061 (pic related) that I never wear because the silver dial doesn't do it for me.

By the way, the exact silver dial in the 5206-6061 was also offered in the 5206-6120 case.

A friend of mine is requesting a cheap watch (quartz-movement) with a green dial for daily use.
What should I suggest him?
I have no clue about quartz movements. He was looking to buy a Jaguar watch (which is like €550), and I'm of course confident it can be done cheaper.

Help /wt/ where do I press to release the winding stem?

>Search green dial watch on Aliexpress
>mark it up 10000%
>Give your friend €450 back

You need to tug very hard on this spring for a while.

If I don't wear a watch for while, is it a good idea to stop a hackable watch to reduce wear?

That will start a fire

>If I don't wear a watch for while, is it a good idea to stop a hackable watch to reduce wear?
If it's quartz who cares because it's a cheap shitter.

If it's mechanical just let it run itself out.

No

What do you think watchmakers are before they're trained?

Baby watchmakers.

Isn't there anything from a somewhat known brand such as Casio, Seiko, Timex?
Something with which it will at least work upon arrival.

You know what I mean. Can you learn to do a simple service on a Jap shitter without going to school to become a watchmaker

This is the dogshit in question.

>Jaguar

Catshit, actually.

Why is jaguar lending it's name to such dogshit?

I don't know, man.
I'm just trying to help my friend out.

>€550 for a quartz shitter
You tell me

For less money he could have this

youtube.com/watch?v=xLhewhLJ450

Go away Bulova shill.

Pretty sure that's some shitter brand pretending to be related to car maker.
The badge of the actual car looks like this.

>If it's quartz who cares because it's a cheap shitter.
It wouldn't use battery.

D O G S H I T
O
G
S
H
I
T

What are the new Accutrons rated to?

>It wouldn't use battery.
The battery still has a chemical reaction going on so it's going to diminish regardless. If your concern is battery life, you can store those in the freezer to make them last longer.

Mallcore seconds a day.

-/+ per month i mean

you're such a fucking retard

The 262 khz movements are 20 spy

Bullshit. Says who? Based on what testing? Aside from Shitova's ass pulled baseless accuracy claims, I mean?

>Anything Seiko
>Iconic

Top kekkerino.

You asked what they were rated and I told you, you never specified by whom. The movements aren't thermocompensated so actual results are of course going to vary.

Sorry, not him, I only meant to point out that Bulova completely asspulled that SPY rating and has never produced any evidence to defend it.

No ones outside of autists think of Seiko as anything other than department store-tier garbage or cheapy tourist watches.

Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 it 8/8.

Lol

No one outside of autists can tell whether your watch is $100 or $10,000 either. No one is going look at your watch closely enough to ask who the fuck names their kid Patek Phillipe or why it says Coward on it

How many normies have thrown away their sistem51 because they didn't realise it was an automatic?

because jag is a shitter brand

you shut your pleb mouth

lol noone outside of autists knows a luxury brand other than rolex.

nobody? they throw them away because they are disposable plastic toys.

And no one will even know it's a Rolex until you tell them it is

exactly. Most people will think of bulova, movado, and DW type shit when they think about luxury shit.

>Not liking Jag
What's the matter with you?

they make shitty cars.
they look cool and go fast, but they're trash quality.
some of the lowest owner satisfaction and lowest reliability.

Go read some amazon reviews of popular automatics

>This watch looks great but it stopped working after 2 days so I returned it. One star

I've been servicing watches for about 2 years now. I'm not a trained watchmaker.

I can only do simple cleaning, re-oiling, and timing of mechanical watches. I had to spend about $300 in shitty chink tools that barely get me by. I also ruined about 6 watches before I was good enough to do a simple clean & re-oil.

If a part was actually broke, you'd have to either: find a replacement part (good luck!), buy a donor movement and harvest parts, or use a lathe and machine a new piece.

$300 is about the bare minimum. To start doing actual repairs, expect the cost to skyrocket to about $2,000 minimum.

The short answer is: no
The long answer is: with a lot of expensive tools & time, you can eventually learn to clean them

>movado and DW being compared to Bulova

at least Bulova at least partially gives a shit when you get past their mall counter bullshit

>Being a pleb

They aren't returning/throwing away "because" they are automatics, but because they don't know what an automatic watch is

there is a place in the world for shitters

slightly unscrew that little screw next to the crown wheel, next to the stem

this was true as recently as 10 years ago, but modern Jags and Land Rovers are decent (but overpriced) cars

Observatory
Some kinetic
Some spring drive
Some Seiko 5
Eichi ii

Dude, even JD rates them as 2/5 for everything but design.

how did you learn? just opening watches and going at it until you know what to do?

i know you like it, but man, that dial and that second hand... and that date window placement...

i too would like a watch that encorporates the runescape font into its dial design

>BINNACLE

I hope that thing costs like 50$ because it looks like those chinkshit Winner watches

>he fell for a wus meme

oi

you could've at least gotten the nicer version

Yeah.

>Nicer
What did he mean by this?

I want a Grand Seiko but I only have 300 bucks

What's the best Seiko I can get?

at least his doesn't have rolex hands

new, sarb033
if you want something really good, there are many vintage choices

Surprisingly, by using my public library. Some of the old watch repair books from the 50s-70s were the best.

There's also quite a few YouTube channels that deal with watch repair.

It helps to already be mechanically inclined because the information out there is pretty sparse. The NAWCC and Watchuseek have pretty good forums, but it's mostly cranky old men that won't help much.

The best thing to do is buy the basic tools and practice taking some junk watches apart and putting them back together without losing pieces. You can usually buy vintage watch lots on eBay for about $2-10 per watch.

Also, DO NOT SKIMP ON MAGNIFICATION. Buy the strongest loupe you can from someone reputable (I use Bausch & Lomb) and buy some good Dumont tweezers.

A watch timing machine and ultrasonic cleaner can be very helpful too.

Also, 80% of "broken" watches are actually just dirty and need cleaned. I made a nice profit flipping "broken" pocketwatches on eBay and Etsy. Use pocketwatchdatabase.com to see what the value is for the pocket watch and check your profit margins.

Also, keep in mind that at least half the tools you'll need are not made anymore. So you'll have to scour eBay to find these rare tools. Some are fucking ridiculous and are $200+ each.

Looking for something resembling Casio's B640W; essentially a Casio A158W with a black stainless steel strap (backlight, more water-res and some stupid alarms).

>Order watch Friday
>Hasn't even been dispatched yet

Did I buy a shit loupe?

Everything is out of focus unless I literally stick my face right in the watch movement and then I'm blocking my light and too close to do anything.

thanks for the detailed answer. i'm probably going to go down that route in a few years - i have no time or money for it at the moment, but i'd love to tinker with watches and maybe rescue some unloved vintages.

>first time shopping online
>Deutsche post fucked me up

>Did I buy a shit loupe?

If it was manufactured anywhere besides Switzerland, Germany, or Japan...yes

Also, if the lens is not glass, just throw it away and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Glad to see you finally found your sunburst dial my fat friend from Toronto. But may I offer an opinion? The case for the 5206-6120 really does not look that bad. It's a very 1970s aesthetic, with the hooded lugs and all. It's meant to be that way, and it's very pretty, just in a different way from the 5206-6061. You should reconsider swapping them, even if the combo is sort of historically accurate.

Where did you pick it up by the way, and for how much? I've been watching Reed dude on eBay but he's just had a sea of silver dials recently.

If autists are the only ones who can see through the marketing tricks of the mountain Jews, so be it.

>Believing JD

I mean I don't even like Jags but come on

My loupe is glass but made in "Great Britain". Seem okay, came from the motherland after all. I think it was meant mainly for coins though, so I am planning to get one with more magnification power. Are Zeiss ones any good?

I'm looking for a new analog watch. I was going to get pic related (Swatch - Once Again), but I read some reviews that mention how loud the second hand's movement is. I have a weekender and I don't want more of that.

I want something that's
>slim and light
>minimal design
>date + week display
>lume or backlight
>water resistant
>$50~

The Once Again was pretty much perfect besides the noise. I might end up getting a Seiko 5 bc it fits my interests, but I prefer a less busy design.

Reposting from late in the last thread

I want to buy the SARY053, I like the skeleton design. Should I buy it or something else instead? Currently visiting Tokyo so I should have plenty of choices for alternatives

Just buy a denzel washington fag

>week display
what.

BUMPIN'.

Buy it

Great Britain could mean that it's either great quality or absolute shit. Britain's manufacturing has been pretty hit or miss during the 1970s. 10x or 20x should be a good power.

You're probably just using it wrong. The loupe should be held directly against your eye and then the movement should be about 2 inches away (depending on the focal point).

Using a desk lamp should help with lighting. You want the light to come in at an angle, not from overhead.

Orient also makes similar open heart models

Mon tue wed thu fri sat
>sun

Sweet, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for orient while I'm here, cheers

That's day

Its probably what the noob meant

>Britain's manufacturing has been pretty hit or miss during the 1970s

Thanks communism