I know you guys love this question

I know you guys love this question

WHAT DISTRO OF LINUX SHOULD I INSTALL LOL?

Installing on a laptop and I wanna make sure I can simply restore if I don't like or if I fuck up bootloader / dual boot. I'm unsure if linux is going to be a good idea w/ laptop drivers.

distro needed:
>plug and play linux drivers
>aesthetic
>dual boot help

Other urls found in this thread:

distrochooser.de/?l=2
superuser.com/questions/245775/is-there-a-built-in-checksum-utility-on-windows-7
wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuGNOME
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Linux For Niggers

macos

>WHAT DISTRO OF LINUX SHOULD I INSTALL LOL?

There is literally a website designed for that question.

distrochooser.de/?l=2

UBUNTU MATE 17

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I appreciate the clarification but this is fucking

a u t i s t i c

jesus i got the most autisticly named OS: fedora

is fedora good

Yes fedora is good but if you want the best compatibility and drivers go with the ubuntu mate.

Yeah, I've got a laptop so some things are integrated and the drivers thing worries me a bit.

For example, my keyboard backlight and the FN hotkeys

This site is absurdly outdated and not accurate. They're recommending CentOS as a desktop OS and suggesting gentoo and Slackware to Linux newcomers. Stay away from it.

Also stay away from any *buntu other than Ubuntu Unity. Mate has screen tearing (can be fixed, but visual glitches persist on most hardware), xfce sometimes has it, and kubuntu is overall worse than KDE Neon and openSUSE with KDE. LXLE/Lite are better than xubuntu/lubuntu. I'm only writing this because that site recommends those as well.

Ubuntu, Linux Lite, Zorin, Mint, openSUSE, KDE Neon. One of these should be fine. Use whichever you think is best or at least whichever works fine with your laptop.

Well as said above the desktop environment is debatable but as for drivers and stuff you're worried about Ubuntu is the best you can get.

Honestly, thank you so much

Downloadig Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Thanks!

What's the best Windows utility for 256 checksum on the ISO?

>laptop
Ubuntu.

>aesthetic
Maybe slap Mate on it.

u got it, m8

>What's the best Windows utility for 256 checksum on the ISO?
Then I promise to fuck off

plz n thanxx

A single search reveals this result
superuser.com/questions/245775/is-there-a-built-in-checksum-utility-on-windows-7

Apparently windows comes with a checksum utility. If you don't know how to use it (I assume it's used via CMD) then download the
>Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier
You can find the download link on that page.

Linux Mint

based on ubuntu, but less crappy/botnetty

That bullshit site just told me to install ZorinOS or Ubuntu Gnome.

WTF...

That's a really pretty girl so I'll answer. Linux is generally trash with laptops. The problems vary but some combo of sleep/fn keys/brightness/battery usage/there's more. It depends on the laptop though. I've read that Thinkpads work great. I run Debian on some shitty Toshiba and it's alright. You need to do your own research and stop being an infant if you want to use Linux desu.

I got kubuntu

I use debian tho

Yeah, but the questions are all wrong. Someone needs to make an Akinator clone that picks distros.

I got slackware, I'm running slackware

No matter what distribution/DE I try, I always end up back at Ubuntu Unity. What's the next step up?

Just do an Ubuntu derivative. Xbuntu if the laptop sucks, Lubuntu if it really sucks, Kubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME if it doesn't suck that much

i got Arch xD!!!!!

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system "Linux" is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

Why wouldn't he install the 16.04 as it is LTS. If he wants a distro that just werks, install LTS.

Debian with i3

It's epitome you literal trash

FreeBSD

Stole an old DELL laptop from work. I'm pretty sure it's been written off though.

I'm downloading Mint right now, but I do want to get into Slackware eventually.

This is though, the only optical drive is on a dock, and I would like to use the optical drive.

Do Linux distros usually have driver issues with dock connections and the like?

>german website
nazi detected

Go to the /fglt/ you insubordinate cock craving nigger faggot

I got Mint which is what I'm running. Nice

wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuGNOME

"Operating system is the software running on ring 0" —An actual computer scientist and not an autist superhero like Stallman.

These all come with pretty easy setup utilities and pre-packaged with drivers:

Ubuntu
Fedora
OpenSUSE

OpenSUSE also has a gui GRUB2 bootmanager menu

Arch linux of course

Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop OS. It has a GUI installer and Cinnamon feels very similar to Windows. If you can't figure it out then you shouldn't even be allowed out of the house without a helmet.

The only thing to keep in mind for multi-booting is always install Windows before Linux.