/hpg/

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/151622995584
antlionaudio.com/collections/modmic/products/modmic-4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Will I get to touch these anime tiddies if I buy Beats by Dr.Dre?

Who is this semen demon?

Best neutral IEM's under $50 US?

Etymotic MC5, Carbo Tenore?

What are some good Over-Ear Headphones I can get for around 60 USD?

>Budget
Sub $50
>Location
USA
>Source
Galaxy J7
>Type of headphone
IEM or very portable on/over ear
(Main reason I was considering PortaPros to begin with)
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Don't need them to be too comfy, will be wearing them 4 hours max
>Sound signature
Bassy/Balanced/V-Shaped
>Past headphones
Chinklux 668B + SR950 Pads (Current) - Perfect
Chinklux 681- Comfortably bass light though bright enough to be fatiguing after a couple hours
Samson SR950 - too NigBass
JVC HAFX40 - Clean yet abundant bass, very fatiguing treble, mids too recessed
VE Monk+ - Very clean and detailed, lacked bass

The template would help, but SHP9500's are a good place to start for open.

pic related

criminally underrated headphone

Don't know, try purchasing them and report back.

Original character.

You may want to check out the meeaudio m6 pro

I've always wanted to try those headphones. More so I've been wanting to get my hands on Sony's pfr-v1 (pic related). They look like baby AKG K1000.

Budget: 260-300 dollars
Source:Computer
Type of Headphone: Over Ear
Open or Closed: Open backed
Comfort Level: Very comfortable, can wear for long periods of time (4-6 hours at a time)
Sound Signature: Neutral or V shaped
Past Headphones: Chinkshit

Also either need a mic to put on via either cable or modmic.

There's several options at that price range.

The X2 are v-shaped and have a standard 3.5mm cable, if you decide to go the boompro-styled mic route.

Fidelio X2 + Vmoda BoomPro

AKG K612 with E10K/Fulla 2 and ModMic

AKG K7XX + E10K and Samson Go Mic

There's probably better mic alternative's that I don't know of, maybe some desk chink stuff.

So out of those, which would you say has the best comfort level at stock pads?

Not the same guy, but X2 and K7XX have memory foam, while the K612 has standard foam.

The K7XX is the most comfortable as it's only ~250g, as opposed to X2's ~380g

How hard do both of these models clamp?

Weights shouldn't be an issue for me but clamping is. I tried HD598s and they clamp insanely hard around my ear.

AKG clamps a tad lighter than the X2, though both are still very tolerable, comfort-wise.

>Budget

700 with amp
>Location
Seattle, Washington
>Source
Currently 2i2, and a Yeti, but obviously i need an amp.
>Type of headphone
I've been eyeing planars, but i'm certainly open to suggestions.
>Open or closed
I'm open to suggestions here too, i think i'd prefer a closed back solution
>Comfort level
High AF. I need to wear these all damn day at my desk.
>Sound signature
I enjoy punchy bass, but REALLY want clarity after my past headphones
>Past headphones
V Moda Crossfade LP's. (Lots of fun bass, but it sounds like muddy trash to my ears)
Bose QC15's (Decent sound quality, but the noise cancellation gives me a headache, and i need more volume)

How is the build quality also? I am also interested in how long these will last and how much abuse they can take.

So for gaming, which would be better, the x2 or k7xx?

>sample_e00da53c56f468f488(...).jpg
>sample

You would think Sup Forums of all places would respect the integrity of images, though clearly not.

rate this amp & brand

is it worth it?

>Weights shouldn't be an issue for me but clamping is. I tried HD598s and they clamp insanely hard around my ear.

It's actually super loose after a few days of use.

MA900 is basically a open CD900ST with some (fast) bass.

Ew.

Just grab a schiit fulla 2.

K7XX

What is? The X2s?

The original's file size goes over Sup Forums's limit, baka... Why manually resize when gelbooru already did it for me?

Both are built well. I've used my X2s for hundreds (possibly a bit over 1000) of hours ever since I bought them two years ago, and have had no issues regarding the build.

AKGs are also built more durable than they look. I have a K701 (made in austria) and K271 (made in china) that are both at least 5 years old and still holding up very well. I've even accidentally knocked the K271 off of my desk and onto a wood floor a couple of times, with no real damage, other than a scratch or two.

Both work rather well, though the K7XX is a tiny bit better, imo.

So how well would this work, and would this work
Headphones: k7xx
Microphone: Vmoda Boompro
DAC: E10k

I'm thinking about getting Philips SHP9500S but the cord isn't long enough. Do cord extensions make the audio quality suffer at all?

No, not at all unless theyre garbage.

BoomPro isn't compatible since the K7XX detatchable cable is terminated in miniXLR while the BoomPro is 3.5mm

>Microphone: Vmoda Boompro
Not well. The K7XX has a mini-XLR terminal, so a boompro wouldn't work, you'd have to get a modmic, or something that doesn't run in-line like a boompro.

There is a mini-XLR ->3.5mm converter available, which connects directly to the K7XX, but I've never tried one, and they look like they'd jab you in the shoulder if, for any reason, you have to turn your head, especially with a boompro attached. This would also create additional stress.

>DAC: E10k
Though, the E10K as a dac/amp should work well with the K7XX (if you listen to very quiet and/or high dynamic music, I'd suggest getting something with a tad more power though).

Would this on be decent?

ebay.com/itm/151622995584

which would be a relatively cheap better one? Can you point me to one?

>Spent a month waiting for Audio-gd to make my NFB-11
worth it coming from a first gen schiit stack

>relatively cheap better one
In terms of a microphone like the modmic? I wouldn't know, I personally use a mic attached to a boom arm mounted to my desk.

Though the modmic does sound quite nice for a mic that attaches onto the headphones, from hearing friends who use it, so I'd recommend a saving a little more cash for one.

Seems you can buy the modmic 4, without a mute button, from antlion's website for ~$43, which is only $13 more than the boompro.

antlionaudio.com/collections/modmic/products/modmic-4

thank you, but i meant in terms of a DAC, a more powerful one with similar pricing to the e10k

Maybe a Fulla 2 or if your onboard sounds decent, grab an O2.

The E10K is probably the best you can get at that price point.

The Monoprice desktop amp (which includes a DAC) . I have never tried one myself, but I'm willing to guess that the sound quality is on-par with the E10K, but with more power (Monoprice = 900mW @ 32ohm compared to E10K = 200mW @ 32 ohm).

They can be had for around $70 on ebay, and around $100 elsewhere.

But as I've said previously, the E10K should provide enough power unless you regularly listen to tracks that are like 20dB lower than most of the music that's made today.

>Just grab a schiit fulla 2.

but is it Class-A power all the way?

AKG K7XX vs Sennheiser hd600s?

I'm still a budget oriented buyer and was looking to replace my Superlux 668b's, but it seems that the hd600s are only $50 more than the AKGs. Worth the extra cash? Wwyd?

What the fuck is up with the innerfidelity measurements?

From the charts, my DT-880s are supposed to have much worse ear rape treble than my AKG K701s, yet the opposite is true. What the fuck is up with that?

>Budget
>Location
Poland, Source
Moto G2 and an HP laptop.
>Type of headphone
IEMs
>Comfort level
I'm not planning on using them for more than 2 hours at a time, so while some would be great it's not a top priority.
>Sound signature
Reasonably neutral, with bass having less importance.
>Past headphones
Using AKG K701 at home which I absolutely adore.
Used Sony MDR-V6 in the past, but they were tad too harsh for my liking, and Bayerdynamic DT880 Pro which I overall didn't dislike but compared to AKG K701 I found their slightly v-shaped signature less pleasant.

K7XX's are closer sounding to 668B's than HD 600's. 600's are more neutral or mildly n shaped. K7XX's are bassy with 2 fairly prominent treble peaks that some say are fairly bright. If you want some more bass and can handle the treble of 668B's, the AKG's are fine upgrade. If you want something closer to flat or more 'raw', HD 600's a nice taste to a different sound once you get used to it.

Convince me why I shouldn't pull the trigger on Fidelio X2s

>Class A
So basically just inefficient.
>amplifier classes
Something you do not have to pay attention to, ever.

>worth it
Stop.
>Audio GD
I would really look elsewhere.

What are you upgrading from? What are you looking for?

MDR-V6s
But then I got HD598s and they were too uncomfortable so I went back to the MDR-V6s but they're broken now.

You might like something closer to V6's like DT880's or AKG Q701's

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The SHP9500's have no bass

They come with a 3m cord, how is that not long enough?

Nigga please

>buy Sony MDR-RNC10's for noise cancelling to use on the bus
>try them on for 2 hours
>man this is nigga bass
>turn bass down in eq
>go back to SHP9500's
>wtf there's no bass
>that's right i nerfed the bass with the eq
>check eq
>it's flat/reset itselt to default
>enragedpepe.png

I've had Stock VE Monks and Chinklux 681's. You can't say 9500's have no bass.

Can I have the other headphones tans too

If I get a usb to aux adapter, will i get better sound than just using the back port of my pc? Don't have money for usb headphones right now.

It is lacking though. I listened to Spill - Foo Fighters, and it is quite apparent that the SHP9500's are lacking bass. The song was missing its punch and some sections sounded awful because it was missing it's dynamic range.

The SHP9500's have very good clarity and soundstage, but definitely need some bass

That's kinda how I felt about my 681's so I got 668B's. They're definitely better for music that need a little extra bass.

Is there something wrong with the sound coming out of your onboard?

Anyone have a EQ profile for bass heavy headphones?

Anyone own Sony MDR-M1's? What EQ profile(s) do you use?

Seriously need to reduce the bass on my MDR-RNC10's

Is a FiiO E10K good enough to drive a AKG K712?

Can't get Schiit products in my country without paying our the arse for them

No thanks, schill.

Probably not. A USB adapter just bypasses the DAC/Amp in your motherboard with an external DAC/Amp. A headphone can't run off true USB. Its the same conversion. Though often in worse headsets or adapters, they use cheaper components, or worse circuitry. So no, not inherently better or worse. Cheap adapters can often have background noise like hiss or aliasing.

This seems to work for now, but anyone with advice on how to tune bass heavy headphones

Yes, It'll work fine. If you can get monoprice stuff where you live, the MDA is better, but I'd assume you cant if you cant get schiit stuff either.

>Budget
100ish

>Location
US

>Source
Phone

>Type of headphone
Over ear

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
As high as possible since I'll be wearing them 6+ hours at a time, but isolation and audio quality take higher priority.

>Sound signature
Prefer dark

>Past headphones
VMODA Crossfade LP - I loved the bass level, but they were quite muddy.

Are the terms used by professional reviewers to describe sound quality meaningful, objective, and well defined, or a bunch of useless pseudoscientific mumbo-jumbo?
>Their key strengths are insight and balance.
>The level of clarity is such that instruments and vocals, while not as explicit as we might like, are apparent enough to paint a fairly detailed picture.
>Leading edges are solid enough to do the job.
>The top end is never hard and the midrange is fairly direct.
>Then there’s the matter of timing. The [products] have a firm grasp of rhythm, and while we’ve heard more agile headphones, they do a good job of conveying the snap of [song].

How much of this is real and how much is making shit up like wine tasters? What does it even mean for headphones to be "agile" or have "insight"?

Anyone know anything about TAKSTAR HI1200 IEMs ? Need some new IEMs the are

Just bullshit most of the time. That said, other than measurements and citing amplitude in each area, you don't have much way of describing sound. Its a complex subjective topic. Audio is a fucked world. Stick to basic shit, and look at measurements and you should be okay. A headphone having 'agility' or 'insight' is fucking retarded though.

I found the soundstage quite wide. The imaging was plenty analytical, and yet melodical. Bass felt very fast. Overall very resolving and punchy.

Detachable cable is also a requirement.

>Budget

>Source
PC will get a DAC/AMP if required

>Type of headphone
Open

>Comfort level
High

>Sound signature
Neutral to warm but not too bassy

>Past headphones
M50

>The imaging was plenty analytical and yet melodical
How can imaging be 'analytical' or 'melodical'? Imaging is just how well it makes you percieve detail in a mental environment. Its either bad or good.

>Imaging is just how well it makes you percieve detail in a mental environment
Sorry, didn't really type that out correctly

Meant more like:
Imaging is just how well it makes you perceive sounds in a mental 3D space

A local store has hd 569. Are they any good? Should I get them?
Before you suggest it I cant buy online cause I live in shit country.

Is koss still a good brand?

My post was a joke. I just threw in some audiophile babble.

>hd598 se are 220€ where I live
Should I go for m40x, or are there any better in the price range?

Go try them in store.

Brands are mostly irrelevant for 'audiophile' headphones. Just go by the actual headphone models. Sennheiser makes both shit and good stuff, same for AKG, Sony, Beyer and pretty much anything else. Koss is no exception.

Their Porta Pro series, and their KC75's are great, along with some of their newer iterations.

Thinkin about getting an LCD2, but haven't looked at the market much in a few years. Anything similar to the LCD but better? Not fond of the EL8.

Oh, for budget let's say 2k. I'll go more if it's WAY better, but I know for example I'd much rather have an LCD2 than LCD3 at any price.

Needs to be orthoplanar and ruler flat down to 0hz. Not even the slightest dip in subbass. That's why the EL8 is ruled out.

I want to get my first DAC/amp, is the E10k a good choice?

If you can't get a Fulla 2, yes, the E10k is good. Micca Origen+ also is.

I can get a Fulla 2, but I've heard bad things about shipping Schiit products to Canada (duty fees and such).

Not sure about duty fees. Do some research. Either ask your postal service or ask schiit directly.

>Needs to be orthoplanar
See, I know what you want to say, but that's a mishmash of terms.
"Ortho" refers to a trademark(originally meaning straight or flat), planar just means flat. Planar would also refer to all the electrostatic headphones I can think of (Sony, AT, Beyer, Senn, Koss, Stax, AKG, etc.) as well as the usual dynamic models.
>flat down to 0hz
Static pressure, DC signal. This requires a hermetic seal. Watch out for limit cycles!
If you're going to be obsessive about this, it would be tricky to do this without waxing your sides.
>Not even the slightest dip in subbass
>That's why the EL8 is ruled out.
There are many problems with EL-8 depending on the secret revisions, and subbass isn't one of them. If anything, the EL-8 is better at flatness than the LCD-2.
As far as construction concerns go, may as well consider the LCD-X. Less likely to crack the frame.

My bose oe2 just died
Does anyone know something similar sub €40

A flat raw response in the bass is not perceived flat. LCD-2 are not flat, but rolled off.

They are not underrated though, created a lot of fuss back in the day, people only don't talk that much about it because it's no longer being produced.

Why do their lowest end products look the most aesthetically appealing? Everything on that page just looks retarded.

I care about graphed flatness, not perceived flatness.

Had my FiiO e10k for a week and the blue indicator light no longer works. I messaged FiiO on head-fi and they said the light is an indicator of the device working properly and to ask the seller for a replacement.

I ordered it off Amazon and to send it back will probably cost half as much ad the fucking FiiO.

Fuck FiiO, never buying their shit again.

An anechoic chamber is the only proper listening environment, man. Fuck emulating speakers in a room.

>I care how the graph looks, not how it sounds
jesus

What is the best headphone, and why is it Beats by Dr Dre Solo 3?

Good morning, /hpg/.

The higher end products probably are inspired by some of those expensive speakers that are weird shaped and have a similar gold and silver look. Running a google image search on 'expensive speakers' will show you this.