MPC-HC Devs admit their project is dying, beg people to help them keep it afloat

>As you may have noticed there was not much traction in the MPC-HC project in the recent months. We do apologize if you felt bad about that. Unfortunately, we were not able to provide as much development time as MPC-HC deserves. We believe MPC-HC is a very capable player and we want to keep it rocking for much more years to come. Sadly, currently, we don’t really have the manpower to do so. But this does not mean we want to give up here. We consider this release as a new starting point and hopefully, we will slowly but steadily make MPC-HC great again.

>If you care about MPC-HC’s future, please contact us. Report issues that you want to be worked on and most importantly send patches if you can; even small changes help us move forward.

mpc-hc.org/2017/03/06/1.7.11-released/

Looks like MPV is killing MPC-HC's marketshare and people are finally losing interest in this shitty Windows-only Directshow project.

More and more people are playing video on Android devices every year and MPC-HC can't be ported to Android so naturally, it has to die. Meanwhile, VLC and MPV already have Android ports and will be playing video for every device on the market, from Android TV boxes to full fledged PCs for years to come.

Can we just let it die, Sup Forums? It's not like any of you can help them code, anyway.

We're too busy helping the MPV project anyway with bug reports and a surge in users.

RIP in peace MPC-HC. You were the bridge from VLC to MPV and now your usefulness is over.

The funniest part is that VLC helped kill MPC-HC. Kek.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commits/master
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A new madvr was just released with newer NGU algorithms, Nnedi3 has finally become deprecated.

Kodi is also killing MPC-HC as well.

Fuck MPC-HC. Limited piece of shit. It was always destined to die on Winblows.

Madvr is also shit

angry autistic screeching aside, are there any other good reasons to dump this and use vlc or mpv on windows? I want something extremely lightweight.

>Looks like MPV is killing MPC-HC's marketshare and people are finally losing interest in this shitty Windows-only Directshow project.

why so hostile op

did someone shit in your vajeyjey

mpv is pretty lightweight ma dude

Sorry but its not more lightweight than MPC-BE

there is nothing more lightweight than mpv

>MPC-BE

t. loo

you say the same about ur mum

why?

It's just a sad little mpv shill.

mpv is shit

its fucking installer is a batch file

you fucking spergs are a weird bunch

>make MPC-HC great again.

MPC-HC devs are Drumpfpfpf Alt-Right White Supremacist trolls from the Dark Web imageboard Sup Forums CONFIRMED!!!!

but I wanna feel like a hacker
pasting configs n shit in text files

So I just tried mpv and I don't really see what the big thing is. It looks incredibly basic including the interface. Am I missing something here? What's so good about this player and why would I use this over mpc-hc? The only thing I don't like about mpc-hc is that I'm unable to play YouTube streams.

It's not an installer lol

>why would I use this over mpc-hc? The only thing I don't like about mpc-hc is that I'm unable to play YouTube streams.

well you just answered yourself because mpv does that

You aren't as funny as you think, bud

Except mpv is just as shit

Only the logo is prettier

This post is written by an MPV shill.

He posts this same crap every every day.

MPC-HC is still a great thriving software and by far the best media player out there for Windows.

Do not fall for the MPV shill's jewish tricks.

Yeah I'm a shill but you are promoting the Windows Jew.

Nice try, kike.

This
Tucking hackers on Sup Forums man

I'm not promoting windows at all you Jewish MPV Shill

Fuck off back to MPV headquarters you piece of shit scam artist

If you promote Windows-only software, you also promote Windows.

Again, nice try, Windows kike.

>MPC-HC devs are literally responding to a Sup Forums meme
wew
>MPC-HC edgy russian bloat edition
>lightweight
I want Sup Forums to leave

I'm not your buddy guy.

MPV IS DYING AND IRRELEVANT

ONLY MPC-HC IS THE BEST

MPVSHILLS BTFO
B
T
F
O

>Still trying to troll when no one uses mpv shit

>MPV IS DYING AND IRRELEVANT

You mean MPC-HC

>You mean MPV

FTFY

No one uses your Linux based crap

Your MPC-HC is begging for devs so your player is actually the dying one.

kek you will be using mpv when your shit player dies.

>make MPC-HC great again

Whelp. That's it for me. Deleting all my MPC installs and finding something else.

That just makes me like MPC-HC more.

Reminder that memepv still doesn't support linked mkvs and HW 10bit HEVC decoding

No one uses MPV except Linux neckbeards

Millions of people uses superior MPC-HC

Keep crying, faggot

>install PotPlayer
>still regularly updated
>just werks

send this thread to the devs

So, when are we getting MPC-HC: The Movie?

If it "just werks" why does it need to be updated constantly?

Linux shills and their ecosystem are constantly broken and needs to be updated constantly, so it's just them projecting their broken ecosystem onto Windows.

>If I'm not using some software than no one uses it.
Logic of a retarded winbaby.

fwiw, mpv development seems to have slowed down a lot recently, too. wm4 seems to mostly work on plex, and haasn hasn't done any serious mpv work for quite a while.

there's a key difference between mpv and mpc-hc, though:

mpv is an all-in-one package, including splitting, decoding, subtitles, audio and video rendering etc etc. so the devs have a lot of different things on their plate..

mpc-hc is just the player itself. thanks to the modular directshow concept, all the other tasks like splitting (-> lav splitter), decoding (-> lav audio/video decoder), subtitles (-> xysubfilter) and video rendering (-> madvr) is done externally.

how much development does a player need, when splitting, decoding and rendering are developed externally by other devs? e.g. the mpc-hc devs don't even have to bother updating (and maybe changing the code to adjust for api changes) and recompiling ffmpeg/libav when a new version is released, while the mpv devs have to.

imho the key development area seems to be video rendering atm, and that's where mpc-hc relies on madvr, so it's not such a big problem if mpc-hc development has slowed down.

wm4 seems to work on ffmpeg
github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commits/master

Do I install new version on top on the old installation or delet old one first? I'm updating and need all my setting intact

sorry not here to read your blog brageet

which benefits mpc-hc (or rather lav splitter/decoder) just as much as mpv... ;)

You just ignored one of the few people posting anything substantive in this thread.

Enjoy your mediocrity and iteratively self made hell.

@59280623
kill yourself attention whore

>MPC-HC edgy russian bloat edition
>lightweight
MPC-BE uses fewer resources than mpv.

This is both players from a cold open.

It's a conspiracy linked to 4K blurays and the like

MPV dev slowed down and VLC is more of an all around solution

Also why does anyone say madVR is "Shit", it's not too bad.

I use MPC with Smooth Video Project

>censoring processes

That's some epic level censoring sure.

Again, I'm quite sure the slowing down on MPC HC and MPV is in part linked to the crackdown on torrenting and overall spying for digital rights

And this is when playing 10gb 1080p ~8000kbps bitrate video side by side.

Why would I use mpv?

>why aren't people providing attack surface?

you tell me doc

-lightweight
-vlc

Pick one.

one.

lolk wangblows

>dat fucking screen
My. Fucking. Sides.

what the fuck are those artifacts

Seems like it shat itself when I captured the entire monitor with print screen. This is actual shot of some scene from the same filed used by screenshot function of MPV

So it's probably X shitting itself?

Heat

xysubfilter is dead
assfilter mod is the new king

Whats the point of playing yt video on external player?

u feel like hacker

>how much development does a player need, when splitting, decoding and rendering are developed externally by other devs

Yet they are saying the project is dying.

I guess they are going to give up this year since Windows is a dying platform.

>Whats the point of playing yt video on external player?

Better performance, can change settings.

It's a fucking player, you only need to update it once every few years when a new codec comes out

>>why aren't people providing attack surface?

Why would you need to provide any additional ones? You are already using windows 10.

>you only need to update it once every few years when a new codec comes out

This is stupid. There's lots of worthwhile fixes for all players and if you use better players like mpv you get more features, too.

>if you use better players like mpv
mpv can't even properly handle subtitles.

>Torrent blu-ray rips of Ranma 1/2
>English subtitles including signs display in MPC, but don't in mpv
>English subtitles without signs display in both
Why should I bother with a player that can't even do what it's supposed to correctly?

>Windows

Yes, I'm of the vast majority of people who use Windows. You know, people with jobs who don't have enough free time to dick around with ricing desktops with garish colors and anime girl wallpapers on a solid color background.

>Windows mad

>listen to the MPV shills and download it
>open that shit
>no menu
>no options
>no permanent seeking bar
>weird window resizing
>player closes by itself midplay

The fuck is this shit? At least it plays the webms that MPC HC didn't but what's the point when this fucking horseshit isn't customizable and the GUI sucks?

MPV is the "install Gentoo" meme of media players. No one actually uses it. People are just told to install it for LULZ.

Why do they do it? It's decent player crippled by an interface that sucks diseased hyena dicks. They could fix it easily but noooooooooo, they do it just to annoy anyone who isn't a dumb phoneposter.

The people that tell you to install it do it for laughs. The people that program it? No idea. It's not something like a Cisco IOS or a Server OS where you need to save on space or a GUI would be overly complicated to make.

>ask people to contribute
>ask people for patches
>don't even compile binaries for linux, where 99% of all developers who do this shit are

Good riddance to this trash player

Serious answer: mpv devs hate GUI programming. mpv, like MPlayer before it, is intended to be used as a command line media player or as a backend for a GUI media player. With MPlayer, if you wanted a GUI, you'd use SMPlayer, which was a separate project that used MPlayer as a backend. With mpv, you'd do the same except no one has really written a good GUI frontend yet. The core devs don't care and the fledgling GUI frontends that do exist are either incomplete and/or don't have Windows builds.

I don't identify as a guy, shitlord.

How do you censor like that?

As long as I can watch my animu with madvr and reclock working, I don't give a fuck. It's not like I have anything to complain about MPC since I started using it almost ten years ago

Use the mosaic filter in literally any image manipulation program that's more advanced than Paint.

ReClock is a meme hack that's only needed because DirectShow is retarded 90s technology. mpv has video-based timing and a WASAPI audio renderer built-in. That MPC-HC needs so many plugins to be a decent media player is exactly why it needs to be ditched for something modern. It's actually surprising that mpv is the only competent alternative. All the effort that's wasted in making a decent DirectShow-based player should be spent on something non-DirectShow based.

Literally nobody gives a shit about MPV.

MPC-BE has been active and the go-to mpc* for probably a couple of years at this point and normies use VLC if they are old or the built I Windows app for viewing videos anyway.

Even the default windows 10 movie app uses less recourses than MPV.

>mad

>tfw falling for the MPV meme
I've downloaded MPV bullcrap and I got AIDS.

WTF is this piece of shit? It doesn't even have an install or a menu.

>Drop files to play here
wew

>based on libass

Oh god

Guys... pls...

sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/
(Please disable your ad-blocker, it really helps the project keep going!)

>sourceforge
nobody uses that garbage

mpv does not have a graphical user interface. This can be confusing for winplebs, but it's actually pretty commonplace on Linux. If you have trouble using it, just remember it's not designed for you. No one's forcing you to use it.

libass has been faster than Xy*Filter for a while now.

Maybe but libass has (or had?) issues with displaying certain ASS effects while Xy*Filter managed them fine.

Just werks on my machine.

why would you bother trying to keep afloat a sinking ship?

I'm a faggot, how do you use the MPV to youtube?

any playback device (even consumer devices like hardware blu-ray players) which has diverging audio and video clocks will need some sort of adjustment. possible adjustments range from dropping or repeating audio blocks or video frames, to resampling audio, to frame blending video, to using vxcos (temperator controlled clocks) etc etc.

reclock is one way of handling the problem. there sure are others. but nothing of that has anything to do with directshow. if you don't use directshow, you *still* need to take care of keeping audio and video in sync, by either doing something on the audio or video side.

personally, i'm a fan of creating custom gpu output modes with a fine tuned refresh rate which avoids having to do frame drops or repeats for at least several hours of playback. doing this requires some tweaking, using weird tools, but it's possible.

again, it's got nothing to do with directshow, or even with windows vs linux.