Nintendo Switch painful launch

youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

is nintendo even trying lmfao? not to mention the hardware is barely on par with a mid-tier smartphone and they're running lazy unity engine games on it at 30 fucking fps

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QCZ3-fYjpWo
youtube.com/watch?v=mS18UFiTrAo
anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2
displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i really feel bad with those who purchased the switch on serious behalf.

this shit shouldn't be allowed.

this is the outcome of greedy nvidia and nintendo all along

>Sony and Microsoft partner with Nvidia
>immediately drop them the next generation claiming Nvidia is quite possibly the worst company they've ever partnered with
>Nintendo says fuck it and makes the same mistake

When will they learn?

Nvidia must have seriously sucked some dicks and sold Tegras for dirt cheap

youtube.com/watch?v=QCZ3-fYjpWo

>nintenderp in charge of clusterfuck
they could have made it cheaper if they designed it more efficiently.

Kek Linus Torvalds said the same thing about Nvidia. How Nvidia were awful contributors when they were trying to push drivers for their chips that were on android/ChromeOS

Why the fuck are you posting this on Sup Forums? Fuck off.

pfffttahhah
how much bucks did you spend, nintencucks?

Not OP, but get fucked. This is clearly related to technology.

power of the hardware seems fine
the game development budget tier between phones and home consoles is a ripe niche

there's a few dozen interesting games being made for high end tablets that are just seeing no customers, since the high end tablet market has no users

Anyone with a CS/electronic product background here who knows what might be going on in these errors?

What could cause the weird noise glitch?

In zelda, what's the black square glitch caused by, and the 3D bar glitch? those are clearly software errors, right?

you got a shit nvidia chip.

Didn't the Wii U and New 3DS just come out?

>he plays video games

Gross

>what's the black square glitch caused by, and the 3D bar glitch?

This . It's the graphics chip effectively shitting itself.

>those comments
I dont understand it. How is it possible to be a fanboy for anything at all? I have no loyalty to any products or services and I will only buy whats the best. Why is there always cucks rushing in to defend stuff like this?

I swear, the more you fuckers keep bitching about the Switch, the more I'm tempted to drop the cash to get one and Zelda.

Wii U is 5 years old, and this is not a 3DS replacement.

It looks like poor heat displacement is causing a lot of these problems. The device is overheating and cheap solder is disconnecting.

I saw a teardown of the switch dock, which looked like a complete piece of shit so I'm assuming they cut a lot of corners to maintain that bargain bin price of 299.

Hell, the screen has absolutely 0 protection and gets scratched by the hard cheap plastic of the dock itself.

Then you have the QA issue of the handles BEING COMPLETELY FUCKING STUCK if you accidentally mount them the wrong way, which is a serious design blunder for all parties involved.

Nintendo cut a lot of corners this time around, this might be their worst console product launch to date.

Because nostalgia and tribalism. You'd probably side with the Nazis as soon as they looked in your direction, you Finn.

>buy heatgun and leaded solder
>buy a bunch of switches off Ebay
>remove graphics chip and replace shitty solder with leaded solder
>replace shitty thermal paste with Arctic Silver
>sell for massive profit
Time to make like a jew and become Rossmann.

redidtman

>I saw a teardown of the switch dock, which looked like a complete piece of shit so I'm assuming they cut a lot of corners to maintain that bargain bin price of 299.
They sell additional docks for 90 fucking dollars.

Fanbois get so hard whenever they see anything Nintendo makes. That's the problem.

get a wii u instead. the next zelda won't drop in the next 2 years

So they're essentially the Apple of the gaming world.

>not understanding the cost of manufacturing and developing custom PCBs and anti-goy algorithms.

The Switch sure sucks lmao Nintendoautists

>plays Xbox one games at 900p/sub-30fps

why the fuck didn't nintendo use gorilla glass?

Little babbies would cut themselves on it when chucking the Switch at the wall.

The extra heat would kill it.

because they've always sold bottom of the barrel hardware at 300% price mark?

>immediately drop them the next generation claiming Nvidia is quite possibly the worst company they've ever partnered with
Source?

AND THE PLOT THICKENS

>tripfag
no surprise here

At least wait until Nintendo starts selling the next model that doesn't have these issues.

If there's a next model...

I don't know about Sony but the last Xbox to use an Nvidia GPU was the og xbox

I got it just for Zelda

>tfw I'll probably get the Switch just for Splatoon 2

Wasn't it the 360 with the modified 7900gtx

Lmao I watched a switch teardown and it goes through 3 different layers of shit and thermal paste before it actually reaches the fan copper pipe

Bravo Nintendo

post it i need a good laugh

There is certainly a sense of cultism or tribalism over these things for sure, but there is a more objective factor, and that lies in a sense of fairness and justice, especially against people who tend to use hyperbole. There is also a case for preservation.
Preservation is the simpler of the two, and comes down to a particular fanbase (in this case nintendo) wanting to do whatever they can to make the product as successful as possible, in order to make the company healthier and therefore in a stronger position to expand and proliferate. Protecting the image of the company by defending it against slander is a simple reaction in this vein. If successful they hope the company will reward them by proxy, by releasing more and better games.
The harder aspect to explain is fairness. Though it often doesn't come across this way, a lot of arguments are made not because they believe the OP to be wrong, rather that they are missing the point. This thread is a great example of this. "Painful launch" is highly subjective for a start (when was there ever a painless launch?) but more than that the OP is primarily concerned with the computational capabilities of the switch, thus missing the point. Nintendo has never been about power and photo-realism, it's about innovation, and truly exceptional games. It is a pity for sure that BotW has some frame rate issues (that may well be alleviated by future patches, it is a release title after all), but that doesn't stop it being one of the greatest games of all time (and this is not hyperbole, most critics tend to agree). If you can't enjoy or even appreciate that experience because of a few technical issues, then you have my pity.

If you can overlook slapdash construction, horrible quality, and terrible customer service because of what content they're selling, then you can have my I told you so's. And trust me, there are going to be a lot more where that came from; this isn't exactly new territory we're venturing into.

what is the wii

> people dropped $399+ on a system that gets scratched by it's own docking station and the dead pixels are part of the experience.

obsolete unless you're a normie

>wii u game is good
>therefore the shitty switch hardware doesn't matter

Nope, chip that was similar to a X1900 ATi GPU. Some say x1950 XT but I don't think it was that strong.

It's really not that bad, you're just an entitled little bitch neet manchild whose only hobby is "going online and hating the shit out of everything and anything that isn't literally perfect". Why not critique your own life first, then do everyone a favour and remove yourself fro the gene pool? Your contributions to society will always be a net loss, try directing all that hate where it belongs, onto your damnable excuse for a soul.

This. If the 3DS launch is anything to go by, they'll either reduce the price, or release a version with better battery life. Or both.

BoTW does look like a lot of fun, but I think you're better off just waiting a bit.

>It's really not that bad

Holy fuck. How much of this is Nvidia's or Nintendo's fault? Jesus what a fucking travesty.

The power of

MAXWELL

Way to go nVidia

Anantech has an interesting article on the Switch.
anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2

The Switch pulls 8.9w on max brightness undocked. Its 7.1w at min brightness.
It goes up to 11w when docked.

Notable is the clockspeeds of the totally off the shelf Tegra X1 powering it. 1050mhz on the CPU, the IGP is just 307mhz undocked, 768mhz when docked.
The IGP is running less than 1/3 of its max rate, and the CPU is half of its max, and it looks like the SoC is still pulling around 5w consistently. The docked power consumption is even more interesting. Its only 11w over a normal 8.9, but the screen isn't powered on at all. Its likely that the chip is pulling 10w~ itself when in the dock. Definitely a hot little chip. One can only wonder why a very wealthy company would choose such lack luster hardware for a mobile device with limited battery capacity. Nvidia had to have given these away for free.

The battery is 4310mah, and it does drain in 3 hours or less while playing the new Zelda game. With an SoC pulling this much power the device should have had a battery closer to 10,000mah, or at least have a hot swappable battery pack. Pretty poor design.

Nintendo has some Apple-like behavior in a way, but unlike Apple, they actually have a good product. And no, that product isn't the hardware, but the exclusive games.

this shit is the same with 3ds but its still better than the competition. I dont want weebshit games and movies

i just don't understand why people still make LCD screens when LED is so much better

IT really needed a Pascal SoC.

So fucking Zelda and Mario?

LED is just a type of backlight you cumguzzling faggot

same thing

if i'm on the move like Nintendo wants me then I won't be able to see shit in daylight with an LCD screen

What kind of games user?

>actually have a good product
They don't even have a good SoC.

>no Monster Hunter
NO SALE

It's not the same thing you fucking retard. Also the fucking shit tier nintendo piece of shit tablet has LED backlight. Literally KILL YOURSELF.

if I can see the pixels it's shit

you're thinking about OLED and it's not better

>tripfag
>obnoxious, trying to draw attention
Kill yourself.

OLED is God tier

Among a few other series. Also Smash, and most of the characters in Smash.

Reminder: Do not interact with tripfag

>unlike Apple, they actually have a good product
kill yourself

If this was 15 years ago what you just would be spot on, but nowadays even their flagship games like Zelda and Mario are shovelware trash.

99% emulated

WTF I love nintendo now

Nintendo sold out the switch day one. All those console niggers getting chinked and jewed

> Breath of the Wild
> Shovelware
You are objectively wrong

Bugs make it even more awesome.

Jesus Christ these things are going to get recalled.

OLED is fantastic you Autismo

>lmfao
>30 fucking fps

You children and faggots from Sup Forums and leddit claim to be eligible to post here because the topic edges on technological focus, but then you go ahead and type like children and faggots, so I'm not convinced.

>Nintendo has never been about power and photo-realism,

False, nintendo always bragged about their hardware and graphics until the Wii.

>WORLD'S FIRST AND ONLY 64-BIT GAMING CONSOLE!

Get back to me when OLED doesn't burn in.
It's fantastic for about a year, which is fine for phones since people just throw them away, but not for a game console or monitor.

It should also be said that while the colours on a typical OLED screen may be vibrant, they are wildly inaccurate.
Though they tend to have a rather cool whitepoint, the only colours they really display accurately are, ironically, reds.

DRAM timing. It's a huge pain on a lot of these SOCs. Performance is critical so the timing is very aggressive, but go too far and you get random memory corruption.

Memory performance during manufacturing is a bell curve, so timings need to be tuned per device. On things I've worked on, this usually happens on boot, though some stuff is also adjusted on the fly. There's a lot of room for error, especially on the 1% of units on the wrong end of the bell curve.

That has got to be 100% due to normalfags wanting colors that pop on their Galaxy. These phones are the poster children of OLED and they need to pander to the masses. They have a more accurate color mode in the settings, anyhow.

switchfag here. this is the first console i've bought since the snes and i'm pretty happy with it

also trap link

As someone who preordered quite a few Nintendo consoles in the past (and even had to deal with the ambassador bullshit) I'm glad I dodged this piece of shit bullet

Their quality is dropping faster than Apple and that's something.

>I got it just for Zelda
>paying $300 for a video game
I'm sure your wife's son was thrilled.

Only problem i've had with my switch is sometimes the fan spins up to almost max after sleep and makes a slightly annoying buzzing sound.

I was half expecting the screen to have some horrific defect on it desu.

I can understand if you don't want to play your games on PC, but why the hell would you go with this overpriced garbage

Nvidia housefires confirmed.

the newer phones have different presets and they can be quite accurate, at least according to displaymate
displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm