HDD wars in 2017

I need help, all of my HDDs are full of many thing that I don't want to delete, so I need to boy a new HDD.

I've using WD drivers for many years and no problem at all, but I now see that they only sells the 7200RPM HDD on the Caviar Back models. They're so fucking expensive.

What about Seagate??

just get Blues

I Hear that the Blue are just Green models with blue sticker. And green was really bad HDDs.

What about HGST?, as I know is a WD brand, but they are the same?

I have several HGST drives. They've been going strong for over a year, but my 4TB drives get kinda hot.

They used to be different. Nowadays, it's most likely a green unless it spins at 7.2k rpm

Seagate works fine as long as you avoid certain models.

>And green was really bad HDDs.
The firmware was bad. It was too aggressive on power saving and this caused excess mechanical wear which overtime would send it to an early grave.

What capacity you looking for? Up to 2TB, whoever is cheapest from the big companies is fine. Anything beyond that, I'd avoid Seagate personally. I used Toshiba drives. (Hitachi rebrands) for my 2x4TB setup. Store my movies on one and backup incrementally to the other. Same with my 2x2TB setup for music. One is a Seagate, the other an HGST. If you really care about your data, HGST hands down but they're usually the most expensive.

Also avoid odd numbered TB drives (3,5,7). I've had nothing but bad luck with every 2TB and 5TB I've ever owned. All failed within months. Same with the 2x5TB drives I had. Maybe just a bad batch, but left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm eyeing up some of the 10TB drives hitting the market now though. Be nice to get a 40TB raid 10 going.

For reference. 4TB models. I have 2 of the X300s and they have been functioning perfectly with zero errors for the last year now. They're in my file server with power saving options. They spin up and down with no major noise and run cool under operation.

Why would anyone buy this? You can get two 5tbs of the same series for that price, which has more space AND less likely for complete data loss in the event of failure. Only con is that it takes up more desk space and USB ports

install SSD porfag

>Anything beyond that, I'd avoid Seagate personally.

>as WD does worse at larger capacities than Seagate

Kek. People still haven't forgot about some shitty desktop drive dying years ago. Kill yourself. Or well, just update your knowledge. Whatever is faster. Then again the rest of your post isn't remotely data or knowledge based so I guess I shouldn't expect much in that regard.

Just get whatever.
So long as it isn't some generic chink piece of shit you'll be fine.

I'm assuming you meant to link my post? You were in such a rush to shit post, you forgot to click my post number.
I'm simply going based off my own experiences. Every Seagate I've owned beyond 2TB has died a premature death. Every single one without fail. 3, 5, 6TB models all died from just general use. And no I'm not talking about those 8tb 5,900rpm archive drives. I have 2 1TB Seagate drives that are my work space in my main machine, and a 2TB as a backup in my server. All great drives. No need for the hostility user.

2 of 2 dead 500GB Barracudas
1 of 2 dead 1TB Barracuda
1 of 1 dead 2TB Barracuda
You buy whatever you want to friend. I wouldn't recommend Seagate to my worst enemies.

this .. last HDD i had was a Seagate Barracuda aswell .. died on me .. switched to SSDs and never looked back

Fuck the Barracuda meme.

Hitachi/HGST or just don't bother buying anything at all.

Seagate is absolute shite. WD/HGST for HDD