Do you turn your computer off Sup Forums?

Do you turn your computer off Sup Forums?
Why? and why not?

No. I just lock it and turn off the screen. There's no point in turning it off. I'm too lazy to wait to get work done.

I also don't turn off my PS4, I just pause and turn off TV.
>inb4 overheat
I had it for 2 years and never overheated.

No.
I don't pay the power bill :)

I turn it off every day right before I go to sleep, even un-plug the cable from the socket because I don't want the PC to burn up or something.
Although I am overreacting on that part, even with my monitor. I think I do it because I let the guy rest a bit and leaving it connected serves no purpose.

I do since i have an SSD, before that i simply hibernated it.

How long have you been doing this user?

hibernate for my laptop/surface
my desktop is always on, as is my media center laptop. desktop autolocks, media laptop doesnt.

How very German of you.

When you do this you cut off the soft power leaving only the little battery on the motherboard to keep time and date. If you do this and forget to come back, you might lose your BIOS settings and not be able to boot. Not my computer tho -_-

Off, because it has a fan.

Fell for the t420 meme
Doesn't wake from sleep 50% of the time
Hibernate makes the mouse buttons do weird fuckery
Easier to just turn the bitch off

Wrong desu.

A true German would buy one of these. It's more efficient.

>Doesn't wake from sleep 50% of the time
>Hibernate makes the mouse buttons do weird fuckery
Oh, so it's not just mine that does this? Pisses me off

What pisses me off the most is the entire internet doesn't have an answer for why it's like this. I'm assuming it's a motherboard issue because reformatting doesn't fix it, it's persistent across all OSes I've tried, and like I said there's no "fixed" post out there for this issue

Is yours a t420 as well?

Yep sure is. I put in an SSD and it made no difference to the problem either

Same. I think it has to be a hardware issue because other t420 owners in general don't know what I'm talking about

I still like the thing otherwise but holy fuck is it a chore sometimes.

Does yours ever fail to load the audio driver? About one in five boots I have no sound.

Wish I had one of those when I was there. The people I lived with unplugged my laptop without telling me when I was in the bathroom and berated me for my American behavior. I lost a paper. Had to unplug that shit every time I stepped out of my room for more than a piss.

They also demanded I piss sitting down.

>needing to buy a switch
>2016+1

>not superior plug

I have an UPS and a SSD so suspend to RAM it is for me.

I have an SSD so I shut it of because it only takes

>They also demanded I piss sitting down.

Fucking barbarians.

I do the same except I sleep at night.

5 years my dear user.

Might look into this, 5 years and no problems though.

No, I just let it sleep. It only consumes a few watts in sleep mode and power's 10ยข/kWh, don't really see a point in turning it off.

i use hybrid sleep

Mine just werks since forever, i dont know what you two retards are talking about.

You probably didnt bother to install all drivers or use Windows 10 or some Shitbuntu distro.

>Do you turn your computer off Sup Forums?
Usually just suspend, if anything.

yes

>unplugged my laptop without telling me when I was in the bathroom
>I lost a paper
Damn, how long were you in the bathroom? Does the laptop not hold a charge?

What OS do you use?
I use Ubuntu but not an SSD and it takes me ~50 seconds to start my laptop.
May it be because my graphics card(AMD Radeon) is not supported by Ubuntu.
I asked somebody here what time does it take them to start Ubuntu. They replied that it takes 3-5 seconds.

Lmao i use this to turn my pc off every night

Why would you want it off with an ssd?

>Why would you want it off with an ssd?
hibernate dumps the contents of ram to disk, needlessly using up write cycles on the ssd in this case.
Why you wouldn't just suspend to ram is beyond me though.
it doesn't consume much power to refresh ram

I turn mine off at night. It has a timer to start at 5pm every day when I get off work.

Never.
It make no sense when 1kwh at nighttime costs 0.017$ and you use electricity to heat your house anyway.

It usually hibernates when I go to sleep, but sometimes I leave a video stream on and it never does.

I wish I could but I'm a ratiocuck and I need every last bit of buffer I can get

not him but i bought a chink off brand charger and it fried my laptop battery after like 3 months. Don't care too much since it is like a 7 year old mac book pro with a fried graphics card which would seize the computer and often times pushed it in to a loop of rebooting and crashing. It did have a fairly new battery though...

I do the same thing, especially after the experience of seeing my power supply exploding. I don't unplug the cable from the socket thought. That doesn't do anything.

>seeing my power supply exploding
how did that happen?

anybody have a board with capacitor plague?
one day my computer blue screens and the PCB is on fire lol

Boot time is trivial, so why waste electricity while I'm at work or sleeping?

>What OS do you use?

Not that user, but I can boot to desktop in ~13 seconds on Windows 10 with fastboot enabled in BIOS. And even then I'm a little disappointed. I expected about half that.

>Damn, how long were you in the bathroom?
I can take some lengthy shits, but

>Does the laptop not hold a charge?
I had it out for the trip to Germany. Was only gonna be there about two months and didn't want to add the weight since I knew I'd be using it as a desktop. Shit was an old 17" laptop. Weighed like 13 pounds with the battery in.

>leaving it on unattended
So none of you encrypt?

>what is a motherboard battery

I dug my dad's old Tandy with Windows 3.1 out the other day, motherboard battery was still good after 15 years in storage.

I turn it off for many reasons.

a) waste of electricity
b) While my PC is almost death quiet is still has some humming to it cause of all the moving fans. It's easier to fall asleep with PC being turned off.
c) I'm still freaking out about longevity of my hardware, especially my 2 SSD drives.
d) There is literally no point in turning it off since I can easily boot it up again in literally 3 seconds counting from pressing that power button to being able to run software.

The real question here is why I attend obvious shitposting threads on Sup Forums.

I only make my laptop go to sleep. I never turn off since to fully boot up it takes ~10 minutes. Gotta love whole disk encryption

no point in not* turning it off oops.

Depends on the amount of time I'm going to spend not using it.

~5 minutes - just walk away
~15 minutes - lock it
~30 minutes - put it to sleep
1+ hours - hibernate it and unplug the charger (it's a laptop with a dead battery).

I don't ever shut it down because for some reason it takes fucking forever to cold boot. It boots from hibernation in under a minute. I don't have an SSD.

Off. I've got an ssd so it boots in seconds so why not, besides why should it gather dust on the radiator when I'm not using it

I only just realised that other countries don't have switches on their power outlets and was wondering what the hell was the purpose of this

>other countries
Only in the US I'm fairly sure.

And I always just use suspend/sleep.
On modern computers everything basically is shut off and it draws about 10watts in sleep mode and it 'shuts down' in like 2s and boots back up in about a second to how it was before you left it. Literally no reason to shutdown.

I never sleep my desktop.

If I leave my desktop running it's because I have applications/downloads running.

If I'm doing nothing on my computer, I shut it down, because the CIA Jews can hijack my computer when it's in sleep

Computers turn off?

I just buy a new one whenever the lights go out on mine

>because the CIA Jews can hijack my computer when it's in sleep
top kek

I run my Plex server on my PC, so I just lock it and turn the screen off. Its also easier since I can just put in my password and get right into it, I don't have to wait the 10-20 seconds for it to boot up or anything.

usually i use sleep/suspend.
cold boot itself doesn't take that long, but opening all the programs does, so i prefer sleep to resume from where i left it.

>it draws about 10watts in sleep mode
more like 3 watts

CMOS chip has a battery that keeps it powered even when the computer is turned off

No. I just close the laptop lid.

Yes.

1. I pay the power bill.
2. It's too loud idle to sleep next to.

Always with my home PC, as I have a Raspberry Pi to remote into my home network.
Almost never with my work machine during the week, so that I don't have to wait for hundred of group policies to apply at boot and the similarly enforced virus scans can run at night.

Just reboots.

I have a SSD but I never turn off my PC. I just turn off my monitors, I like being to get on and not have to boot and wait for programs to load. (Even if its quick)
Haven't had any issues, its been pretty good.
I only turn off the PC if I need to clean it, make some hardware changes, or if its having some sort of issue that causes me to reboot.

Yes, I turn my computer off before I go to sleep and when I won't be using it for a few hours or leave the house

I don't see the point in leaving it on, it boots up in less than 30 seconds. If I really need remote access I VPN onto my home network from my phone and use WOL to power it on, hasn't failed me yet.

I put it in sleep mode because windows forgets my resolution setting on boot and also has me pick 8.1 or 10 partitions no matter what

Sup Forums users can keep their computers on because they are not poor. (everyone with a job earns at least $100k per year)

I turn it off because I don't see a reason to keep things running when I'm not using them and boot time is under 15 seconds thanks to SSD.

I have travelled fair amount in Europe, and pretty much only in UK people have them 100%. In Poland where I live, you can't find those in regular shops, you need to order them through Net or find speciality shop.

I leave it on because I don't like having to restore everything I had open. OSX is better than most about this but still not perfect.

I can understand why windows users would leave their computers on, as it's often unusable for hours after a cold boot.
But running linux, I turn my computer off if I get up to pour myself a coffee.

That's because your Linux machine is about as useful in either state.

>But running linux, I turn my computer off if I get up to pour myself a coffee.
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

here, I stand corrected.

I rarely do. Most of the time I suspend it to RAM.

I put this pc into hibernation. The pc launches instantly into the desktop with a tap on the keyboard. I can't remember the last time I actually turned off this pc. It was months ago. This pc is an old Dell XPS 630i running Windows 7.

I also have a pc I built myself. It is an ASUS Maximus IX Hero with an i5-6600K and a Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 boot drive with Windows 10. I turn off that pc each night because it boots to desktop in about 4 seconds.

No
I like the ambient fan and hard drive noise and it's idle power usage is minimal

Yes, but any computer would be useless to a mongoloid such as (You).

Good goy

Let those cia niggers transmit to your dreams while you like the pockets of Mr. Shekels CEO of PowerCo Inc

I put mine in rest mode, it's like 3 extra button presses and holds your place

>it's often unusable for hours after a cold boot
What.

There's no point to, it uses so little electricity. HDDs also last longer if they're not being power cycled often.

Besides I like being able to resume my workflow without even a single second of delay.

I dunno. I get some use out of them.

wait a sec, my computer isn't even on. how the fcuk is that possi

CIA niggers haxd u