/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

Previous thread: If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What's the alternative for x?
alternativeto.net
linuxalt.com
Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net
Gaming news:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: * Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
github.com/johan/zsh/blob/master/Functions/Misc/tetris
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/dependency_hell
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for Source Mage GNU/Linux

second for not source mage

Why is apt absolute shit? Something as simple as removing the DM results in 30+ packages marked for autoremove including the xinit, xorg, cups, python, and other packages that shouldn't even be removed. I will never again use apt based distros again like Debian or Ubuntu because no other package manager is this retarded.

What the fuck is a DM? Also, you're either too stupid to use apt properly or are lying. Please provide screenshot of apt marking xinit and xorg for autoremove.

You're an idiot first of all.
Apt, a package manager, isn't the culprit for such behaviour. It's the package itself, as in the person designating dependencies.
Secondly, I seriously doubt that removing a dispalay manager package would remove X11. Maybe if you installed the display manager first and X11 got pulled in as a dependency. Even then it's very unlikely.

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Is this still up to date?
I think I've seen the "pick your poison" image in a bunch of different versions posted every now and then.

2 is fixed. Still need help with 1 and 3

Display Manager, a fancy GUI for logging in. I hated the one it came with so I decide to remove it so I can login via terminal.

>using meta packages

How do I Linux?

1. Edit the preferences of Xfce's panel. It should have options where to draw it. Alternatively just drag it in "edit" mode to the other display.

3. There's an option in the settings to assign keyboard shortcuts. Use that. I think it's under "window manager" options.

start by reading the OP pasta

Guys I recently installed Gentoo on my Asus laptop and I can't get the touchpad to work. I tried both synaptics and libinput. what do?

I'm not lying, Debian does this to me every single time.

>reading the OP pasta
>links to documents

Why can't I just do it like Windows. I never read that much for using that. Linux is fiddicult

That's not apts fault that's dependency hell for installing pre-assembled Linux

pick a distro, install it in a VM or dual boot
simple enough for you?

RTFM
Faggot...

I did a netinst with minimal packages.

What is a good livestreamer alternative?

Thank you for your help

by being grumpy and complaining about everything.
Look to have a fight about any single non-issue too.
And rant when something isn't okay.

And your question doesn't make sense btw

Streamlink. Although I just use plain youtube-dl + mpv

Any wine users here ? Do you have any tips to share ?

I wanted to play heroes of the storm with a few friends without needing to reboot on windows. I manage to get ~30 - 40 fps but the drop rates are annoying as fuck.

in winecfg I setted :
>compatibility to windows 7
>in library I disabled D3D11 (it fixed the battle.net crash I had when opening the settings)
>In display I enabled "capture mouse in full screen windows" and "allow WM to control windows"

Anything I should look at ?

>your question doesn't make sense
To you. Cuz ur retarded.

So is the fundamental difference between the distros the package managers?

Still trying to figure out this out linux thing before actually trying to install it.

So do I just pick the distro with my preferred package manager and assume that I can choose everything else at install time?
Like, do I have the option of installing my preferred DE's, etc. or are most of those things set as I choose the distro?

I realize I might be overthinking it, but I would prefer to have most of my preferences set up at install time even if it takes longer, rather than trying to figure out how to uninstall, and reinstall all this shit later on.

distros differ in several ways, including (but not limited to);
- package manager
- premade packages available officially
- whether those packages are pre-compiled, source code only, or a mix of both
- philosophy
- intended target machines/users/purposes
- installer or lack thereof
- which set of software/packages ship with it standard
- which program features are enabled/disabled

You're not overthinking at all, you figured out what most people only get after years of linuxing: that the main difference between distros is the package manager. Other important differences are repository policy (ex: fedora only allows FOSS stuff, Canonical allows some proprietary stuff), stability (ex: ubuntu keeps having bug pop-ups, fedora works fine) and release schedule (ex: arch is rolling release (no version), fedora has a fast versioning, Debian has a slow versioning).

also repository management

>So is the fundamental difference between the distros the package managers?
For the most part.
>So do I just pick the distro with my preferred package manager and assume that I can choose everything else at install time?
At install time? Depends on distro, but you can always change it afterwards. Some distros have you choose when you download their iso.
>Like, do I have the option of installing my preferred DE's, etc. or are most of those things set as I choose the distro?
see above
>I realize I might be overthinking it, but I would prefer to have most of my preferences set up at install time even if it takes longer, rather than trying to figure out how to uninstall, and reinstall all this shit later on.
Each distro is geared for their task, some for servers, others for embedded, so it's not overthinking it.

Good performance is only on wine-staging with CSMT enabled

>Each distro is geared for their task, some for servers, others for embedded
Bull shit.
Your Linux kernel and other software does not care if it runs on a "server", a "daily driver" or "embedded" computer. You use the same software on all of those.

Thanks /fglt/

Will read more about stuff before installing, but these help a lot.

>Is this still up to date?
Yes. Absolutely. I haven't seen any interesting new distro in last 5 years, except solus (isn't recommended for newbies btw).

You completely missed the point. A distro that comes packaged with a LAMP stack is better for a server than your laptop, sure you can do without much issue, but it's not intended for it. Clear Linux is a distro intended for Intel cpus and doesn't have radeon graphics shipped with it, you can always manually add it in, but it's easier to just use another distro.

you'll proably overwhelm yourself if you do too much research relative to practical usage

just start with something popular and common for your target usage (for example, ubuntu for a general purpose desktop installation)
then look further into things as they happen

remember: don't assume anything! especially if you've primarily only used one OS before, it's important not to assume you know anything about linux to begin with, not being like windows is not always a negative

>A distro that comes packaged with a LAMP stack is better for a server than your laptop
So you want a distribution out there for the millions of possibilities of installed packages? You must be one of those idiots to whom all those "added new wallpaper to Ubuntu" distributions cater to.
I don't know much about Clear Linux, but it seems to be a niche distribution, not intended for actual use, but to showcase things. There is only a handful of distributions worth using. Using anything other than those is beyond stupid.

You can run Centos on a laptop and never touch anything server related and you would still have the same stable environment if you went with another distro

>it's important not to assume you know anything about linux to begin with
to give an example; a lot of people (including my clueless 14 year old self) first try installing software by searching for things in a web browser and downloading package archives only to find no installers
this is a result of assuming it would be just like windows, or mac os. old habits die hard

“LAMP” stands for “Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP”—a common combination of software to use on a web server, except that “Linux” in this context really refers to the GNU/Linux system. So instead of “LAMP” it should be “GLAMP”: “GNU, Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.”

>it easier to replace your entire system than to install 3 or 1 package(s)

I've been having some weird issue with this lib32-mesa thing, occasionally an error would pop up about it not being found, but now I can't even Syu without it coming up and breaking the update.

Anyone see something like this before?

>I can't even Syu without
>breaking
That's normal.

A new era is upon us.

disable testing and try again

testing repo on arch is a minefield

when im on facebook firefox crashes all the time, what do i do?
suggest me better botnet
>no chomo pls

No,you can use Linux without ever touching gnushit userland.So it stands LAMP

do a memtest

Actually, since systemd has almost replaced GNU by now, instead of "GLAMP" it should be "SLAMP": Systemd, Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. We could still have "GNU" around for legacy reasons until the next release, so let's call it SLAMPG where GNU is the last and least important.

You both need to grow up.

>memtest
not crashing like program turn off, i get that shit "stop script"
firefox sux dick, it cant load all comments when i open some page with 100 200 comments

Done, but it's still fucked, same error

>stop script
the script is either fucking up or your machine is too slow for those script-heavy sites

Not him, but when did we reach a point where your average website requires more resources to run than Crysis?

Yup, that's then an Android or Busybox system, but servers usually run the GNU system.

busybox isn't even a system
gnu isn't just the coreutils

this is the world we live in

seriously, grab yourself a specced up 2007 machine (yes, crysis is already a decade old), and tell me how nicely popular shit-tastic sites run on it

What is qlibc
What is malloc

Atleast attempt to know what the fuck you're talking about.

Yes.

Shit's really bizarre. How did it happen?

I just installed Ubuntu 16.04.2 on TP430s.
I want to optimise battery time for uni and so far, I installed and enabled Powertop and TLP.
TLP wanted me to install acpi_call and I did.
However, it still want me to install tp_smapi and tpacpi-bat.

Now I'm under the impretion that those aren't even supported bu IvyBridge TP's. Can I still do something about it or is TLP just trooling me ?

Also, I installed Powertop and TLP but didn't configure anything yet. What should I do ? I don't mind restricting cpu power, it's plenty powerfull as it is.

When people decided to import libraries of shit when they only need one specific function that they could probably make anyway.

other browsers are working fine, only firefox, and only on facebook

>archlinuxfr
You're an idiot. Enjoy reaping the errors of blindly just copy/pasting things.

And you kill yourself.

YOu don't need Powertop and TLP. It might even conflict (one of them changing settings the other changes). Ditch Powertop and only use TLP.

The ARch Linux Wiki has an explanation which of those modules work for certain hardware.

additionally
>increased amounts of tracking scripts by ad companies
>really large images that are sized down on the fly
>embedded videos
>tons of javascript to animate some shit or load content which should be just static HTML
mix all of these and then wonder why even a 2500k isn't enough to run your shitshow of a site.
what is the web developers' solution to this bloat epidemic? protip: it's not less bloat, it's webassembly so they can add MORE bloat.

why are embedded videos bad?

they are when you add 10 of them on the same page for no real reason.

facebook, youtube, 2tabs 4chin and 2 google tabs
>chromium 700 mb

It's on linrunner.de/tlp page, not on arch wiki.
I removed powertop.

>walk in the room
>see my ukrainian sister with autism laying on the floor with her laptop
>walk over to see if she wanted some help
>she's compiling java and using ubuntu
>what the fuck
>thought she was a tard this whole time
>she starts stuttering and trying to tell me she wants to be like those cyberpunk girls in the cartoons
>spergs out and starts shaking/almost crying
>"calm down sis, i think its rly cool"
>looks up at me with her stupid mongoloid face
>she smiles and slowly points towards something on the wall
>mfw it's an Arch poster taped to a piece wood
>mfw i felt my dick get so damn hard
>feel ashamed
>hard as a diamond

Is it ethical to fuck hacker chics?

Is there anything I can do for tp-smapi and tpacpi-bat ?
Is there any config to change/optimise in TLP ?

gonna try that. thx for the tip, I didn't knew

Only one thing in the world worse than cosplayer chicks and that's hacker chicks. Do never fuck. EVER.

I use tp_smapi modules to adjust the battery thresholds and increase battery life.

This.

Dont give them your wifi passwrod

I'm trying to use a Gentoo livecd on a thinkpad p70, and the thing won't ever boot up in UEFI mode even though the motherboard supports it. Whenever I try to partition the disks (in legacy mode which I think is BIOS) and add the "boot" flag, it automatically adds the "ESP" flag, even though I'm not in UEFI mode. If I ignore it and go on, and then install grub, the thing still won't boot up in legacy (which I think is BIOS) mode. I have safeboot or secureboot or whatever it's called off.

What exactly am I doing wrong?

ok. my battery is at 82% capacity. Iguess it's normal for an old battery ... (t430s)
Might go for a brand new slice

This kid is scripting, I'm sure of it. There's no other way he always comes first with his forced Source Meme OS.

One character at a time, read stdin and print it to stdout exactly as it is:

zsh
while read -rk ch; do
printf '%s' "$ch"
done

bash
while IFS= read -d '' -rn1 ch; do
printf '%s' "$ch"
done

>bash

>mongoloid

This is honestly the most disgusting and demeaning story I've ever read. You literally fantasize over abusing a vulnerable woman because she was capable of learning a male dominated skill? My career is not your fetish creep. Get some help.

Something I should know about opensuse before installing it?

I like you.

I actually hate zsh because I don't know it; I tried installing it once, but I didn't like that most my bash scripts don't work anymore.

>using a shell with builtin tetris

>builtin tetris
github.com/johan/zsh/blob/master/Functions/Misc/tetris
Holy shit, this is true

Are you stupid? printf foo | while read -n1 ch; do printf '%s' "$ch"; sleep 1; done

printf $'hello \t\nworld' | while read -n1 ch; do printf '%s' "$ch"; done

Are you?

>\t\n
Are you?
Why the fuck would you put a tab before a newline, f©m?

Can someone help me understand how dependency conflicts arise?

I'm trying to understand the technical details but the majority of explanations online seem to just be generic:
>You can't install multiple versions of packages at the same time
but why?

Here is my current understanding, please correct me if I am wrong:
Dependency conflicts arise due to the fact that applications link to "major" versions of libraries rather than exact versions, but at the same time might depend on exact versions.
e.g. two applications might link to "lib.so.2", which is a symlink to some exact version, but one of the packages actually depends on the exact version "lib.so.2.0" and the other depends on "lib.so.2.1", and the symlink can't link to both at the same time so there is a conflict

Is that it?
Surely such a silly thing as conflict over a symlink can't be solely responsible for the monumental waste of time and energy each distros maintainers need to put in to reinvent the wheel maintaining tons of separate repositories and package formats just because they all have different ideas about how to resolve those symlink discrepancies?
Please tell me there's a more complex reason for this than just symlinks

How about you read the manual first before being stupid, zsh babby?
-r do not allow backslashes to escape any characters

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/dependency_hell

To demonstrate that you need IFS= and -d '' if you want a character-by-character read while loop in bash to read input perfectly.
The same shit with -r famdog.

I didn't even finish re-reading my own post by the time you gave that reply so I know you didn't read it

I've seen that link before and it doesn't answer my question.
All that page does is explain the different patterns of conflicts based on that fact that "these two things can't be installed together" but it still doesn't explain WHY "these two things can't be installed together".

I'm considering installing Antergos; does it use the same repositories as Arch or does it have its own stupid repos like Manjaro?

Yeah, I admit, I didn't. I don't have time to read all your post. This is not your personal blog.

>This is not your personal blog.
If you don't know how to answer a question then just don't fucking respond

You don't have to throw out bullshit memes that don't make any sense. You're not impressing anyone

Install Source Mage GNU/Linux

Do you even know what $'...' expansion does? printf $'stuff\tstuff' produces zero backslashes lmao.