/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Proper Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050ti, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/XKWQgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/3MnB9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/YLv9BP
pcpartpicker.com/list/jzbPcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/xhnRRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/RQkQgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/WZLQgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/qdxmBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/tNJq9W
sys.Sup
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
pcpartpicker.com/list/Xx8tsJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for reposting my build

pcpartpicker.com/list/XKWQgL

Do you want to go full amd or do you really want the rx 480?

Building this for my brother's friend:

pcpartpicker.com/list/3MnB9W

Seem alright for $760?

Is there a way of connecting a VGA monitor to a GTX 1060?

I want to upgrade but I don't want to lose my dual monitors...

>Building this for my brother's friend:
yeah, sure...

When looking at the benchmarks I saw that the 480 more or less had the same performance as the 1060 6GB for less so I decided to go with that. Depending on when R5 comes out I might get that and a B350 mobo. But for now I'm just gonna plan on getting an i5

There's adapters for that

are you the guy that already bought his ram?

Yes buy a cheap dvi to vga adapter or hdmi to vga one for like $5.

You can get a prebuilt way cheaper and just add a gpu later

You can pirate windows and save $100 then use that to get a better CPU. Drop the Z-series mobo if you aren't planning on overclocking and get 2 sticks of 4GB RAM for dual channel. Get a better case as well (Corsair and Phanteks are pretty good brands).

I can't seem to find one for a decent price.

My new card would only have 1 HDMI and two DVI-D ports and I can't find a VGA to DVI-D adapter that says it works and isn't ridiculously expensive.

What would you recommend as a cheap air cooler that's better than stock for a 7600K on a slight overclock?

I just need something to hold me over for a while I save up enough money to build a water loop, so I don't want to splurge on a D15 or anything crazy.

Who? That's a great many people so you're gonna have to specify.

Literally 212 evo or Cryorig H7

>slight overclock
You probably shouldn't even bother. Just set it back to stock speed. You need to run an 10-20% overclock to get any noticeable benefit from it, otherwise you're just stressing your parts for no reason.

deepcool gamaxxx is the GOAT cheap air cooler and it's performance is great.
don't listen to 212 kiddies

I mean I'm going to slightly OC it on air then go balls to the wall when I put it on water,

pcpartpicker.com/list/
lemme know what i'm doing wrong

Just keep it on stock clocks and cooler until you get the liquid aio then. Skip the slight overclock

Well, first of all, you're not linking properly.

Well to start, you can post the correct link.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/YLv9BP
here you go faggot, got rid of all the shit you dont need.

buy cheapest shit from microcenter/ebay.

>lemme know what i'm doing wrong
The link

>the board I want still isn't in stock
>already bought the CPU for it
Fug

Looking forward to re-plumbing it this weekend.

I think you are replying to the wrong person.

edit: pcpartpicker.com/list/jzbPcc

Intel K models don't come with coolers, Rajeet. That's probably why he has to buy one and understandably doesn't want stock garbage.

I have the same psu

>pcpartpicker.com/list/jzbPcc
im not

>radiator on bottom blowing air into 1/4" clearance above floor

pcpartpicker.com/list/xhnRRG
USA

Going to get a 1080 ti as well.

Also rate monitor.

u sure u have enough fans m8?

The way he phrased his question made me assume that he was already running a 7600k with some sort of cooler.

>K-series CPU with no cooler
>MicroATX mobo
>120GB SSD
>1080 at that budget
>no monitor
This isn't help at all.

literally none of that is wrong.

its a 5x better system than what you build for the same price at stock speeds.

What does that stuff taste like?

It's a good PSU

Actually, it draws air in on the bottom and blows it out the rear. There's also a good 3/4" clearance, and a dust screen, so it's fine.

>it draws air in on the bottom and blows it out the rear.
enjoy dust everywhere then even with a filter.

2 for front, 2 for radi 1 140 for the back.

Once you use it, you never go back. Its a lot worse for you, its got a lot more egg in it.

Airflow question:
If my case has 120mm fans, should by cooler also have 120mm fans? I'm thinking if the cooler is 140mm and has more airflow than the exhaust fan, that will create pressure and cause some of the hot air to spread around the case. Is this correct? Should I select a cooler with 120mm fans?

I've been running it this way since the beginning of December. I cleaned the intake filters once. They weren't even been that dirty. It took 30 seconds each. There's not a spot of dust inside the case, because I set it up for positive pressure.

Also, I misspoke. The PSU draws air in the bottom and exhausts it through the rear. The main cooling has intake through the radiator on the bottom, and fans in the front. There is exhaust at the rear, and through the rad at the top blowing up.

im 100% sure ur lying m8.

keep being a retard if u want.

No, the cooler fans will be static pressure, the main job for those fans is to simply "move" hot air that is "radiating" off of the radiator/heatsink. Unless you have those swapped out for high airflow fans already then idk but it shouldn't be a big deal

You caught me m8, I'm totally lying. I've never seen so much dust in my life.

It's too bad my house is such a filthy shithole that I have constant dust issues.

pcpartpicker.com/list/RQkQgL

any advice on this? not sure exactly how many fans to go after since you can move some around in the case.

Sauce now

Anymore critiques?

>Platinum PSU
>Extra $60 to save $5 a year

Sup Forums

just air cool my nigga

Why not a 7700K?
Seems great otherwise.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/WZLQgL
some1 r8

Should I get the Asus Z170 motherboard? Would anyone else recommend it?

>Hawaii's electricity price of $0.37 per kilowatt-hour equates to a $334 monthly electricity bill for the average consumer, according to calculations based on EIA data. That comes out to more than $4,000 per year spent on electricity.

living in Hawaii has its cons too, all efficiency I can take, I will.

Why don't you faggots have solar yet?

Buy some fucking panels.

yeah, you can fit all that crap in a case half the size.

My island has some nigger politicians that have all these clauses in which I cannot get solar in my area because its too saturated, basically niggering the monopoly of power in hawaii.

you can fit a 7700k and 1080 in that price range thanks to the new price cuts.

Damn that's rough.

You cpu already comes with a stock cooler.

You could be a non-faggot and post the situation on reddit to get people on your side.

You could also not be an autist and talk to your neighbors and vote those niggers out .

pcpartpicker.com/list/qdxmBP
looking for some last minute suggestions on this g4560 build. my budget is 450-500. i'm pretty confident in this build, and now that the rx470 promo is back in stock at newegg, i'm in business. either way, i'd like some input on what i can fine tune

Just buy a laptop lol. None of those components are impressive enough to warrant a desktop configuration

laptops are more expensive tho

Hello Friendos

Plan on getting me a RX 480 in a day or so, But im not sure which model i should get, any ideas?
Im looking for one with the most overall perfomance

lol, you have no idea how Hawaii works, it's a good old boy system with politics here. It's insane how little things change.

I really could give a shit talking to people, it sucks and we deal with it.

>lol, you have no idea how Hawaii works
>translation: im too much of a faggot to do anything

enjoy nigger.

>Plan on getting me a RX 480 in a day or so, But im not sure which model i should get, any ideas?
>Im looking for one with the most overall perfomance
What did he mean by this?

We are moving away from the point. Its expensive to live here and that's it. I am too much of a faggot to care about wasting my time trying to change something that isn't feasibly changeable. I'll just deal with it how it lays.

rx 470 and OC it to the moon bby

pcpartpicker.com/list/tNJq9W
Suggestions?

you could swap out the i3 for a g4560 pentium, it comes with its own cooler. I would not trust rosewill to make a quality product, let alone a psu.

Upgrade the i5 to an i7 and get a kraken aio. Otherwise nice build

Just OCed my (new) 6600k to 4.5 Ghz and it's hardly affecting temps at all. I didn't have anyone else to tell.

What is the best performance-for-dollar 80Plus tier, then?

I know most builds are for gaymen but I want to build a slick machine for home labs in preparation for Cisco and Linux certs.

Does anyone have any advice for these kinds of builds?

Titanium isn't it?

Bout to pull the trigger on this bad bitch
sys.Sup Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpcpartpicker.com%2Flist%2Fg8VvYr

Generates a lot less heat.

Bronze

That's top tier. Nice

Sorry, I didn't know you lived in Hawaii, so it's more justified then. Still, you could get an 80+ gold for 30-40 dollars cheaper with the same wattage. Platinum is only marginally better than gold anyways.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Nex PSU is trash, get G2. Almost the same price.

Who wants to hold my hand some more and walk me through deciding between a $206 RX 480 and a $243 GTX 1060 6GB.

I'd much rather an Nvidia card. Looking at my speccy and the fact that I only have one monitor, 1080p 60Hz, I can't tell which would be better.

I know I'm retarded okay, just someone please help me with this.

Both are similar performance wise, if you prefer the nvidia card then go for it

6GB 1060 is noticeably better.

You are objectively wrong though.

That wasn't me

Sounds good, any other critiques on my build?

Get the XFX card. Its pretty basic but it runs cool and quiet. When I built my rig I got the Sapphire card because of its higher clock and good looks but the fans are loud as hell and the fan curves were awful. Also the XFX card is cheaper, my brother loves it.

Which one of you is telling the truth?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Xx8tsJ
R8/H8
Under $410

What is its purpose?

Garbage meme fan. Get something that's actually good like a BeQuiet or Noctua fan.

what's the difference between having 2 sticks of 8gb RAM and 4 sticks of 4gb RAM?

Just do some research and look at recent benchmarks then decide for yourself. Don't let others tell you which is better.

quad channel vs dual channel

Nice bait. Made me reply

It's a stock fan that comes with three hula-hoops. It's shit.