What about self-titled "hackers" makes them cringy edgelords? The smug attitude, the forced "we're so clever" jokes...

What about self-titled "hackers" makes them cringy edgelords? The smug attitude, the forced "we're so clever" jokes, it's autism magnified to an absurd level.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J1q4Ir2J8P8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have you ever been to defcon? I'm thinking about going this year

It's awesome; go. If you need to get some idea of what's there to be convinced go to the YouTube channel.

they're nerds, so their social skills can be lacking, and "hacker culture" as it exists in academia/online is firmly rooted in late-80s early-90s net culture, with all of its lack of self awareness

Its just people that are trying to flex their knowledge to make themselves feel good. every hobby has it. Cars, model trains, who gets to dig through your mum the most.

People just wanna feel better than others.
But Tier1 phrackers / Racers / Mofos are always down to help others out.

youtube.com/watch?v=J1q4Ir2J8P8

my favorite defcon

Cringe

What was these to cringe at

>mohawk
>le ebin fight le government

that's hacker culture sorry if you're not a fan of it

The politics of these people is what's most off-putting to me.

I'd rather end up in some gov agency than working with a bunch of pinkos and their exaggerated self-worth

I'd argue they're only as cocky as open carry activists and other fringe protestors, perhaps it's just that these are closer to home for you because they form a part of a culture you identify with?

Defcon is all IT retards and wannabe 'hackers'
The only decent people there are the ones participating in the CTF in the corner. Everyone going to the talks and normie shit are brain dead

>pinkos and their exaggerated self-worth

most of the hackers I know are hardcore libertarians, not communists

shit, some are even Trump supporters

I am a hacker. There is nothing wrong with calling yourself a hacker as long as it's true. The problem is when people equate hacking to cracking (which is what 99% of people do)

>mfw everyone misconstrues the term "hacker"
>friend tells someone I'm a hacker
>oh yea what have you hacked
>hacked a RF signal finder to run off a usb battery pack and solar power most recently
>no but I mean like what have you HACKED
>...

defcon attendees are mostly just normalfags on work trips, and the leadership is very cliquey cult-of-personality.

the fact that they think that IP addresses are some kind of magical vulnerability.

> I'd rather end up in some gov agency
That's what many end up doing when Twitter bots are not paying rent anymore.

>tfw I'm a garbage man
>tfw I call myself a doctor but everyone has misconstrued the true meaning of "doctor"
>tell someone I'm a doctor
>"oh cool, so are you a surgeon or a GP or a psychiatrist or...?"
>I pick up garbage cans and put them on a truck
>"so you're not a doctor?"
>REEEEEEE

right but what I did was hacking

Get over yourself. Who are you to criticize their self-expression, rather than their work? That's what you don't understand. They dress and act ostentatiously to weed out people like YOU who can't see beyond the superficial, beyond the way they dress or act. Sure, you have posers in the "Hacker" community, but I assure you zoz is not one of them.

I bet you're from Sup Forums, aren't you?