Gopher protocol

Am I the only one left who enjoys the simplicity and order of the gopher protocol? Does anyone else still use it?

Other urls found in this thread:

khzai.net/1/ftp/g
khzai.net/1/phourchan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's cool, but there is nothing new to read over Gopher. Someone should make a Gopher mirror of Sup Forums.

I'd give that traffic.

I'd give your mom traffic.

How about my mom?

Share your gopher links.

I'll make the logo

your mom will get some ass traffic

>Someone should make a Gopher mirror of Sup Forums
gopher://khzai.net/1/phourchan/g/59297584

Too bad Gopher is on the technical level of HTTP 0.9. It would be a real improvement if you could add a simple size response header and have it running on a persistent connection.

I've seen some neat threads where Sup Forums makes a web page, how about a Gopherhole?

gopher://khzai.net/1/ftp/g

(khzai.net/1/ftp/g works too if you don't have a Gopher client/plugin)

User input is also a little lacking compared to HTTP. In Gopher0 (non-Gopher+) you really only have search queries (compare to single-line text input and GET parameters in HTTP).

Gopher+ began adding metadata about items (response headers) and forms (like HTML forms) but the UMN client and server are the only ones that fully support it, and they are outdated in other regards compared to "modern" Gopher servers and clients like Lynx or plugins like Overbite.

Make a cool ASCII logo and I'll put it on khzai.net/1/phourchan instead of that generic Figlet banner.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZ
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO7 OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOI ?OOOOOOOOOOOOOO = OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOO. .OOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO
OOOOOO 7OOOOOOO OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOD OOOOOOO ZOOOOOOO
OOOOOOO, OOOOOO OOOOOOOO
OOOOO ,OOOOO ,OOOOOOOO
OOO? OOOOO, :OOOOOOOOO
OOO ?OOOOO 8OOOOOOOOOO
OOO$ OOOOO 8OOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOO8 OOOOOD .88OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOO8? .88OOOOOOOO+~D888OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO88888888OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZ :OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO: ,OOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOO +OOOOO OOOO
OOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO .OOO
OOOOOOOOO. OOOOO7 8OOO
OOOOOOOO ~OOOOO 8OOOO
OOOOOOOO OOOOO8 8OOOOOO
OOOOOOO= OOOOOO OOOOOOO
OOOOOOOZ OOOOOOO $OOOOOO
OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOO
OOOOOOOO: DOOOOOOOOOD .8OOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOD OOOOOOOOOOOO8: D8OOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO88:DO8 DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8 8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8
88OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8+~8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO88
88OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO88
888OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8888

Hey, that turned out alright

Big, but definitely cool
gopher://khzai.net/1/phourchan

Is this a new thing?

Yes, I only started putting stuff on gopher://khzai.net around the start of this year.

You can read Sup Forums's favourite comic
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/fun/xkcd

heh, even works on Android.

What are the advantages of gopher over HTTP/HTTPS?

Downloading doesn't work in overbite, because that will be for the 'next' release. (Which, will never happen by the way. But you can browse gopherholes and I am happy enough with that for now)

Gopher is simpler. You have plain text menus that navigate just like browsing a file directory. You don't have cookies, Flash, HTML/CSS/Javascript, web apps, tracking, ads, etc.

Technically you can serve those things over Gopher if you have a client that can understand them (like a web browser) so the advantage is less in the protocol and more in the idea. Gopher is content with no frills.

I think if Gopher had very basic styling and a templating system for fetching content from a URL whenever acted on, it could have went somewhere.
Templating needs no client scripting, just a dynamic form essentially, but for displaying data instead. (in fact, pretty much like HTML5 templating)
Speaking about very simple formatting though, not full on page styling. (at best, viewport background, current field background and foreground)

It could have easily still existed on text delivery systems that are frequently used today, but not use stupidly over complicated HTML, CSS and JS because default HTML layouts fucking suck.

I was thinking recently how cool it would be to have a text based internet, a retronet if you will, to be accessed using a terminal. Like every thing would be stripped down, like in those 90s movies where a kid logs in to some corporate site using a computer at the mall. Could be comfy and a good way to consume text without distractions. Is Gopher anything like that?

What's the most patrician Gopher browser?

Install lynx

The one you wrote