BSD for newbies

Now that Linux is officially CIA spyware, we got to switch to BSD. I'm a relative newbie in that regard and I have some questions.

>Do you have any suggestions for a BSD distro that comes with a window manager and a DE so I don't have to do shit?
>I understand that BSD is at least in parts compatible with Linux. Will the CIA spyware work on BSD?
>How is driver support under BSD? Will it work on my ThinkPad X230 out of the box?

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/news/report-of-fbi-back-door-roils-openbsd-community/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

BSD is garbage.

Last thread I was told of TrueOS and GhostOS.
Will check them out once the school quarter ends.

BSD is also ridden with backdoors, the only OS to use right now is GNU/Hurd because CIA would never target it for obv reasons

Yeah, because Hurd is shit. But what are we supposed to do if we don't want to be spied on?

Use Hurd or AROS

>AROS
proprietary
>Hurd
pure crap

>because Hurd is shit
Why?

It's far less developed than Linux. There has never been a stable release.

Bro Hurd has been in development for longer than Linux and it just recently got sound support

>pure crap
That's BSD user.

That's because development on Hurd pretty much stopped when Linux was released under GPL. RMS also claims that developing a kernel proved harder than he had anticipated.

>>Do you have any suggestions for a BSD distro that comes with a window manager and a DE so I don't have to do shit?
debian distro that uses the kernel
>>I understand that BSD is at least in parts compatible with Linux. Will the CIA spyware work on BSD?
yes it's ported from there to linux, you're welcome
>>How is driver support under BSD? Will it work on my ThinkPad X230 out of the box?
don't count on it

You do realize that if everyone jumps ship from Loonix to BSD they will start making malware to target it, right?

It applies to literally any OS, the only way to avoid this is if everyone splits up, but if we do that they will catch up and start making malware for all the more relevant OSs.

doesn't matter. I'm fine with hopping OS. bsd will be relatively safe for some time and by the time they target it there will be an alternative. they can only react

>an actual UNIX with rich history and top teir development is garbage
>everyone should use a backdoor ridden hacked together rip off of MINIX created by an autistic Swedish scriptkiddy because he couldn't afford a windows 95 license.

Gosh, this website sometimes.

This is why I hated seeing a few BSD threads pop up today. People wanting BSD to act like a regular PC is potentially going to influence it's development in a bad way.

Also there are BSD specific hacks if you read anything about the news. Not knowing the OS you're going to be even more vulnerable to whatever than if you used windows or something. Can we just have one fucking hipster OS that doesn't have a userbase screaming about jews, niggers, and spying?
Go to OPENBSD it's built for security, leave free BSD alone.

>top teir
"""Übermensch"""

>trashing someones car because they have a job
>Linux users are this childish

A surprise to no-one

We should write an OS in the browser, based on web technology, as they are the most widely known languages available That way the amount of people simply being able to look over the code will be massive.

Oh wait, every Firefox does that already.
Dev tools -> Web IDE -> Simulate that shit

Did I just comprimise FXOS?

How many security loopholes can we fart out for FXOS?

Let's all use TempleOS

It's designed to be resistant against MIT CIA niggers
>no networking
>mfw Terry knew all along

>RMS also claims that developing a kernel proved harder than he had anticipated.

I guess all those days of eating food out of other people's fridges, playing a flute and messing around with pet birds really takes it out of him.

>Burning man bumper sticker
>has a job
ok

If you actually read anything from the leaks you'd know BSD has a bunch of spyware for it too.

If you actually read anything from the leaks you'd know their attack vector on BSD is the HAL daemon, which while alarming, is a starting point for a security audit.

>swedish

Better use RedoxOS!

>implying it wasn't germany that made swedens economy survive by buying shitloads of paperfurniture from ikea

Use reactOS

ReactOS is just a russian botnet that aims to be compatible with windows botnet.

>Now that Linux is officially CIA spyware, we got to switch to BSD
cnet.com/news/report-of-fbi-back-door-roils-openbsd-community/

>2010
you know, this wasn't a real backdoor, just a flaw in openssl that is now fixed

ReactOS isn't finished yet. It's just in the alpha-stage.

As soon as it reaches 0.5 it *should* be usable.

But it needs some security improvements, because there is just one group of users in Windows XP/ReactOS and they all have root rights.

It had nothing to do with OpenSSL (you're thinking about the heartbleed bug).

It was about the IPsec implementation.

Stop spreading misinformation, you fucking FBI nigger.

BSD has literally been CIA spyware since the get go.

He's from Finland

>that's the joke

Why did that guy bring up germany?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War

Try PC-BSD

Go on and never come back.

Idiot.

Show me two exploits that effect current versions of Linux.

They use Linux internally so clearly you can configure it in a safe way.

They hoarded exploits, but probably patched them on their own shit.

>They hoarded exploits
>dindo nuffin

FUK'N
SAVED
BRAH

if you want to be safe you need to use and build open hardware and write your own OS from scratch

the whole concept of feeling safe relies on security through obscurity

this is your best and only chance in the year 2017

He warned us.

and screwed up like everybody else

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.